View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 L.A. Guitar Wars 1985 
Dr. X

Post L.A. Guitar Wars 1985
My vid copy of this is a bit blurry - Paul's back up group looks like John on bass (Also looks like he's rocking a well dodgy mullet but like I said, it is blurry) and I'm assuming Harry on drums. Can anyone confirm ?

Anybody know if any of the other players went on to do anything - well, anything guitar/fame related. Obviously they all did something afterwards. I remember seeing Freddie Rincon in a spotlight column in GP but none of the others.

I do remember that when I was growing up and learning to play guitar I had a definite goal : I wanted to be the fastest, blow everyone else away and chop people's head off with my guitar playing - Paul Gilbert

Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Post Re: L.A. Guitar Wars 1985

Last edited by x-epiphone-x on Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:20 pm
God Of The Sun

Out of curiousity, is Slash on that? Mid 80s in LA, seems feasible.

The #1 Queensryche Source

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:22 am
Motorman

Slash is too modest to do something like that. I can't picture it but hey who knows?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:10 am
God Of The Sun

haha if slash went, he sure got his ass handed to him by PG!

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:28 am
Site Admin

Slash and Paul were in the same band......but not at the same time.

Regards,
Ken

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

http://www.racerxband.com/blacksheep.htm

Ken: Goooddd nneeewwbbiiieee :lol:

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:13 pm
God Of The Sun

Ah, I havent looked at that page in a LONG time.

The #1 Queensryche Source

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:55 pm
Site Admin

Regards,
Ken

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

x-epiphone-x wrote:
Floyd L wrote:
My vid copy of this is a bit blurry - Paul's back up group looks like John on bass (Also looks like he's rocking a well dodgy mullet but like I said, it is blurry) and I'm assuming Harry on drums. Can anyone confirm ?

Anybody know if any of the other players went on to do anything - well, anything guitar/fame related. Obviously they all did something afterwards. I remember seeing Freddie Rincon in a spotlight column in GP but none of the others.

I can confirm.... I have this on VHS soon to be converted to a digital format if I can ever get the time. Harry is on drums and John is on bass. Paul took top honors in this talent show back then in 1985 at Gazzarri's. I think he won $1000.00, a guitar, a jacket and the title of being "The Hottest Guitar Player In Southern California". I know the tape has about 50 guitarists on it and is painful to watch most of them... yikes!

Cheers X, there's some "interesting" players on there. I trawl through the whole thing every now and then for a laugh. There's some pimp fashions going on. I just remember this latin looking dude with this insane grin that looked like he was trying to chew his own face off when he played. Loads of two handed J S Bach licks as well as I recall. I'm pretty sure the dude turns Paul's amp off before he finishes as well.

I do remember that when I was growing up and learning to play guitar I had a definite goal : I wanted to be the fastest, blow everyone else away and chop people's head off with my guitar playing - Paul Gilbert

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

The drummer from a band I was in years ago was going to PIT at the time, and was actually present at the Guitar War. He said Paul was clearly well beyond anyone else involved.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:36 pm
Godzilla

If it's the same thing. :lol:

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:36 pm
Promises to use Search button

I was in the LA Guitar Wars at 17 years old. I went first. My name is Chris Brightwell.

I did NOT look the part at the time... everyone who showed up was either wearing cutoff shirts with japanese symbols on them, or all black like Richie Blackmore. I was a high school kid with short hair, and I had never been to Hollywood before, much less played onstage there. I showed up in gray baggy pants and a green plaid jacket... lmao.

I was told on the phone leading up to it that the judges would be Billy Sheehan, the guitarists from Armored Saint, and that more importantly, Lindsey Buckingham would be there scouting out new guitarists to go on tour with him. So I dressed for that, since he was more new wave looking in those days. Found out afterwards that he not only didn't show up, but he was never supposed to... so I got lied to. lol.

Anyway, there was an opening band, a cover band. All the guitarists were upstairs in the balcony section over the stage. We drew numbers out of a hat, and I picked 16... I thought, "Perfect! 24 guitarists... I'm right in the middle... when the judges aren't overly critical, and not just plain exhausted yet!" Well, 10 minutes before it started, they announced that they decided to go alphabetical order... and I was first. Shit my pants... lol.

I not only went first, but did the sound check. Part of the rules I was given was that you could bring pedals, but all guitarists had to use the same amp to keep the playing field level... it was a Randall RG-80 combo. Only thing is, everyone showed up with their modded Marshalls, including Paul, and were allowed to use them. I was bummed, but it was what it was.

There were so many different types of guitarists there... most of them just made a lot of noise. Michaelangelo was there. Didn't have the double-necked guitar yet... had two guitars on at once.. I remember him having issues with one of them not working, or cutting out or something.

It was a LONG night, but a lot of fun... They took a break near the middle of the thing and I was walking out to the floor and passed Billy Sheehan, who stopped me and said, "Hey, you went first, right? You're a really good player... get your image together and you have a shot at going somewhere." Totally made my night.

I don't remember when it happened during the night, but at some point, we're all hanging out in the balcony area, and we heard this guy blast off a few licks. When the band kicked in and he started playing, we all rushed to the edge and looked down to see who the fuck was playing. It was that quiet kid that had been hanging out by himself in the corner all night with the red shirt and hair hanging in his face... playing the most ungodly shit I'd ever heard in person. And yeah, someone uplugged his amp or turned it off before he finished, but it was too late. He slaughtered everyone there, myself included.

I read an interview a few years ago with Mike Varney, and he admitted that the whole thing was a setup staged to launch Paul's career and get him out there. He had already been in contact with him and already signed him, or at least planned to. It was a promotional vehicle. And it worked...

As far as the backup band, they were very cool, but I have no idea who they were. Although if you watch the extended cut of Paul's performance, the band is incredible tight and rehearsed with where they cut in and out, and I can tell you from experience, you had 30 seconds to tell them verbally what you wanted them to play behind you. No way they didn't work all of that out long beforehand. And if you watch the bass player at the end, he was really into it, putting on a show. They stood there like rocks for everyone else. So do I think it was a setup? Yes. Do I care? No fucking way! I had a blast... I never had a chance of winning anything, and I got to be a part of music history. Fuck yeah!

Here's my performance (lol)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vccd2VADnmk

and here's the extended cut of Paul's, if you haven't seen it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbLOCgCHKbg

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:35 pm
Search Button God!

Cool story man 8) Welcome to the board

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:32 pm
Godzilla

Wow! :shock: That was really cool insight! 8)

I'm gonna check out your Metallica tribute band. :)

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:08 pm
Viking Kong

Wow, if ever there was a reason to resurrect an 11 year old thread, this is it!

Billy didn't ever give you a call to check whether you'd sorted your image out when he was looking for a Paul replacement in Mr. Big? :P

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:18 am
Profile YIM WWW
Viking Kong

Awesome story!

Thanks for sharing!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:27 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]