View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Went to the Hammer of the Gods!!!!! 
Dr. X

Post Went to the Hammer of the Gods!!!!!
Oh my God!!!!!

I went to the show last night. They ROCKED!!!! Paul comes out wearing a Jimmy Page wig and a military style hat like the one Page used to wear. (I'm sure someone will post pics) Oh, by the way he was playing a white double neck Ibanez. The place went berzerk. Portnoy was playing a bonzo drum kit wearing a shirt like the one Bonham wore in Song Remains The Same. I have so much to say but I have to go to work. They did the half hour Song Remains the Same version of Dazed and Confused with Paul doing the whole violin bow routine...AMAZING!!!!! Hopefully someone will post a set list because I lost track of all the songs but heres a short list off the top of my head:
Achilles last Stand
Heartbreaker/Livin lovin maid
The rover
Thank You
The wanton song
The rain song...very impressive!!!
In the light
Immigrant song
I have to go to work....shit

Newjack

Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:12 am
Motorman

Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Man, I wish I could have seen that. Maybe it was recorded too.

JE

Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:12 pm
God Of The Sun

I took some good pictures as I was right up front once again with DarrOn. I will post them tomorrow when I ge home.

Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:39 pm
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

I was there too, it was a great show overall, got to meet Jeff and Shredder right down front (all the way in from California! what dedication!) -- cool guys in Racer X shirts. Would've tried to check in with you guys after the show but after standing for about nine hours straight without a drink I went to the back of the club during "Ten Years Gone" then got caught up with some local friends. I know Jeff got some great photos that if he is able he will post??

(I've still got two tix for Montreal that I cannot use, so if you're going and want to see if we can figure out a way to get you the tix FREE, send me an email today and we'll see.)

It is always great to see great players up close and last night was a supergroup. I'm sorry I didn't bring in a camera because although they said no flashes, people who used them judiciously did not have their camera confiscated, I don't think. The guys right down front with me were taking close-up pictures all night.

Anyway, Paul was possessed with the soul of Jimmy Page. Utterly and absolutely he played JP's guitar parts authentically, complete with bell bottoms, hat and wig as Newjack says, the occasional pouting/leaning-over/crooked-elbow pose after striking a chord, and amazing precision on the guitar. He was sloppy like Page typically is with a solo. In fact I've heard tribute bands nail the Heatbreaker solo more precisely. It really rocked in those heavy Zep tunes: Wanton Song, The Rover, In the Light, Immigrant Song. (How HEAVY was Led Zeppelin, huh???) Then yes Paul was GREAT on the Rain Song despite one wrong note near the end. Looked like he was having a lot of fun. He came out with the white doubleneck and also had two Ibanez Les Paul Standards on stage, both of which he played. Small Laney amp and small Marshall cab (or was it an amp too?). He had two vintage-looking effect boxes on the floor, one of which was an echo (memory man?), used in the incredible half-hour version of Dazed and Confused, and the other was something like, "deluxe classic [something]. Looked like it was made by the same company. The second effect helped him get that classic Page sound like in the melodious break sections in Wanton Song. Kind of a watery sound. Paul also used the Crybaby wah to terrific effect, I wasn't aware that this was such an important part of the solo sound for Page but there it was. I also didn't realize that Living Loving Maid was played on the 12-string but there it is, you learn something new everyday.

Paul was unbelievable, really. He led the whole band through the D&C epic. I personally thought it might have been not the SRTS version but the new DVD version, but I'll have to check because my memory isn't clear. Dave Larue was awesome, especially on Immigrant Song. Mike Portnoy was spot-on, just flawless playing Bonham's drum parts. Hitting the drums HARD. His kit included a timpani, gong, and that little set of ambourine-type bells that he put on the hi-hat during Moby Dick. He even played barehanded -- a Bonham trademark -- during that solo.

Other tunes that I recall (I had to leave halfway through the encore of Thank You, which Mike Portnoy dedicated to his wife. Newjack, I assume that Achilles Last Stand must have been after that? Was that the closing encore?

Moby Dick -- Portnoy was friggin awesome. The tune was used to introduce bits and pieces of drum classics "When the Leveee Breaks (one verse, with Paul on vocal) and "The Crunge" with some massive grooving by Larue and Gilbert. Then back into Moby Dick.

Celebration Day -- second tune, I think, and some awesome playing from Paul.
Out on the Tiles. One of my favorites sounded great early in the show!!!
The Ocean -- Paul was soaring with the outro solo!!! By this time in the show I went to the back of the packed house to hear what the sound was like.

I think perhaps there are a couple others that I'm not remembering right now.

My only disappointment is not an entirely insignificant one for a Led Zeppelin tribute concert, but even so it does not detract from the good time I think most people had. I'll go into it anyway. The singer, Daniel Gildenlow, in my humble opinion seemed too self-conscious and nervous to really inhabit those songs with conviction. (It is true though that during the second set, after a 15 minute intermission, Gildenlow was MUCH better, and seemed looser.) He can hit the notes, but what was distracting was he did not know the words to many of the songs and seemed distractingly uncertain. I don't begrudge that he had a lyric sheet in front of him for reference but come on, I mean "Heartbreaker"? "Black Dog"? How can you be relying on the lyric sheet for those tunes? Heartbreaker is a song sung from the gut, not the head. How can you not even articulate the words that give the title to the BAND??? (In "Immigrant Song.") At one point when there was an awkward between-song pause onstage he said something to Paul like, you're going to make me break character. (He looked like a young, more brunette and slightly shorter, Robert Plant -- open shirt, tight jeans.) Well, the atention to character might have been part of the problem because he did not (IMHO) do justice to Plant, who back in the day sang a song from his gut; his head voice was not cutesey. Other folks may feel differently about it, certainly, and maybe the mix in the back of the house would have given me a different conclusion about the first set. One thing, though, it shows me just how unbelievably good Plant was, back then.

I know they had only two days for rehearsal (that's what Portnoy said) and what they did in that time was AMAZING. So I'm not ragging on the singer. But when he was offstage, and Larue, Portnoy, and Gilbert were hammering Moby Dick and The Crunge and when Paulie sang on "Levee..." -- well, I was just as satisfied.
I'm not a drummer or a bass player but I could listen to those guys Larue and Portnoy play ALL DAY LONG. I know they played together on the Petrucci/G3 tour a couple of years ago. With the incomparable (as MP said) Paul Gilbert on guitar it was a night to remember. Gilbert was Great.

I hope that everyone going to Montreal has an AWESOME time! It should be a lot of fun and you're going to be happy you went. The band will be even tighter and I won't be surprised at all if the singer gets RAVE reviews on Friday. I think maybe this really was a warmup gig. I wish I was going on Friday but I can't make the trip.

Thanks to the band, Paul, Mike, Dave, Daniel, for a great evening!

Tom

Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:11 pm
Dr. X

I was extremely disappointed in the performance last nite.

Here's the problem: I don't know who this Gildenlow character is or what crappy European band he's from, but he ruined the show. This guy had nearly 4 months to learn the lyrics and vocal melodies for the tunes, but he obviously couldn't be bothered with doing either! He was reading off of cards laid on the floor in front of him, and he STILL managed to fuck up every song. Lousy singer, lousy stage presence. That half-assed crap may go over elsewhere, but when you come to NYC we expect you to work hard on stage and come prepared -- he did neither. Paul smiled throughout the entire show, but he must have wanted to kill that idiot (I know a bunch of us in the audience wanted to).

Dave LaRue? Awesome, the guy nailed it. Portnoy? Well, I'm not a fan of him or his playing, so I'll reserve comment.

Paul? While he really didn't do much traditional shredding at all, he was excellent, as usual. Made a great attempt at nailing Page's guitar tones, and mostly succeeded. I say mostly, because quite frankly Page's tone gets a bit thin and nasal, and Paul's was anything but that. Not to mention the fact that he did his homework as usual. Anyone familiar with the Song Remains The Same version of Dazed and Confused? Let's just say I am, and let us also say that he pretty much got the entire tune note for note -- all 25 minutes of it, including the violin bow solo in the middle. Great fun was had by all.

Lots of good obscure Zep tunes, such as Out on the Tiles and Celebration Day. Also, a medley which included the Crunge and a few others, thankfully sans Gildenlame.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the 22 minute intermission after only an hour of playing -- lame. Lame keyboards by LaRue (which I'll forgive since he was great otherwise), lame vocals from Gildencrap. Moby Dick? Could have done without that, so I'll give it a lame, too. Lame lame lame.

If Paul hadn't made a valiant attempt to rescue the show from complete crapulance it would have been horrible. If it were any other guitarist but Paul up there, I would have asked for my money back.

So, in conclusion:

Paul = great
Everyone Else = not so much (with the exception of LaRue)

Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:19 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Hey everyone...been a while since I posted, but I was lucky enough to catch the Hammer of the Gods show last night...After reading Pscyho's post above, I at first thought he was out of his mind...but I do have to agree with him about the singer and a few things. He SHOULD have known the words and melodies better. I am a casual Led Zep fan at best, and I think I knew more words than he did. But he did do the Plant stage moves, and I thought his voice was pretty good. A little weak here and there, but considering Plant cant sing ANY Zep anymore without his band tuning down to ZFlat, I thought he did a commendable job.
I agree that Dave LaRue was a monster on the bass. It was cool that he tapped out some of the keys parts on bass. (As for his little technical problems, hey shit happens. What can you do?)
I actually happen to be a big Dream Theater fan, and a fan of Mike Portnoy, but I really thought his performance last night was very under par. As I have always said about Portnoy, he is a great technical player when playing DT stuff, but he is far from a groove drummer. Unfortunately for him, Bonzo was a great groove drummer, very in the pocket, and you could tell it was tough for Portnoy. I also could have done without the 15 minute Moby Dick solo, but hey, it gave everyone a chance to use the bathroom and get another beer...so it wasnt all for naught..
Now on to Paul. I was standing a little off to the side of Paul, but man, he looked the part of Page, and played the part of Page, albeit a lot less sloppy. I thought he did a nice job with his tone, getting a very old school Zep type tone out of his little Laney Combo. Paul was definitely the highlight of the show, and when he busted into his English accent, that was totally kickass...
So I guess in a way I agree with Psycho, only I said what I needed to say about Portnoy...it was good to meet a few board peeps last night...
I was waiting for a Golden God moment from Shredder, but I guess he didnt do it, or I missed it...
For those of you going to the show in Canada, its gonna be fun!

Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Yeah, I know I sounded a little harsh, but frankly I expected better from Gildensux and Portnoy. And, thanks, Motley6 for summing up Portnoy -- I wouldn't have been as kind (hence my saying nothing instead)!

Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:55 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

You said things I was thinking, Psycho, about the singer. I was perhaps too generous in my post. It would have been a massively great event if they'd had someone more on the ball.

Portnoy, I thought, was killer. He was more familiar with some of the song structures than Paul was -- remember that flub in "In the Light"? Betcha Paul will nail that one on Friday. I think that the drum sound wasn't exactly Bonzo's but the playing was very close and to me, it grooved. Now, I'm not a big DT fan and am not a connoisseur of Portnoy's playing so I couldn't really say how he did. Seen him four times and now and IMHO he was excellent each time.

Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:32 pm
Dr. X

Portnoy's fine for what he does. Really. I mean it.

But if he was trying to cop Bonzo's drum sound, he missed the mark completely. Most drummers make the mistake of assuming Bonzo's sound was big, deep and low. In actuality, Bonzo's drums were tuned very high. Instead of a low "thud", you'd get a mid-range "pop". Portnoy's drums were tuned very low, thus nothing but "thud". Which is fine in and of itself, but it doesn't sound like Bonham. Of course, this is only true under the assumpion that Portnoy was trying to cop his tone -- he may not have been trying to accomplish that.

:|

...I'll shut up now.

Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:56 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Bonham was one of the all-time greats, that's for sure, and I suspect Portnoy himself knows his own limitations as far as copping that drum sound. Thanks for your comments!

On a HOTG topic unrelated to drumming:

How sick am I of Dread Zeppelin right now. Ugh. (They played the cd all the way through and then almost half over again prior to the start of the concert.)

I thought the Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii" movie they showed earlier on the screens was pretty cool, though.

Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:08 pm
Dr. X

Bonham was one of the all-time greats, that's for sure, and I suspect Portnoy himself knows his own limitations as far as copping that drum sound. Thanks for your comments!

On a HOTG topic unrelated to drumming:

How sick am I of Dread Zeppelin right now. Ugh. (They played the cd all the way through and then almost half over again prior to the start of the concert.)

I thought the Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii" movie they showed earlier on the screens was pretty cool, though.

Ugh! Yeah, once through the Dread Zep CD is plenty, thanks! :x

Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:30 pm
Dr. X

Psycho makes a good point about the singer, he seemed ill prepared for the gig. He did have all the lyrics printed out in front of him and he was shameless about using them. His voice was definitely lacking for the more difficult Zep tunes. There was one tune...maybe the wanton song where he was out of time and seemed lost. I'm giving him a bit of a pass because imitating Robert Plant is extremely difficult and I'm comparing to the rest of the band who were GREAT.
Dave Larue's bass playing was very good but he struggled with the key board parts. I don't if any of you are familiar with the Dixie Dregs but this guy is very talented.
I got the impression Paul was trying to emulate that Jimmy Page "sloppy" playing. (for lack of a better term). That being said he did inject quite a few clean super fast soloing for good measure.
I thought Portnoy was great. It looked like trying imitate Bonham was kicking his ass...LOL Especially after Moby Dick.
Like I said in my earlier post I loved the show. I think anyone going to the Montreal gig will be very happy. The bottom line is we're all Paul Gilbert fans and he was amazing!!!!!

Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:37 pm
Motorman

Im sure i will upset some people know but i think Led Zeppelin are so overated its untrue.

I would much rather see a Queen tribute, better songs, better personalities, better show.

However- i think Bonham is a legend and, along with Keith Moon (who doesnt get enough credit), changed the way people played drums forever.
Portnoy is an incredible drummer and, even as a non-drummer, i still have 2 of the liquid drum theatre discs and regularly watch them.

As musicians LZ were second to none, but 75% of the songs are monotonous and bore me.

Paul ruled: well was there any doubt? 8)

I wasnt there (about 2500miles away in fact) but a singer not knowing the words? Thats insane, we wouldnt have even tried getting away with it at a school concert :D

I would still love to have been there,

Mark

Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:01 pm
God Of The Sun

Here's a scan of the actual setlist. The show was about 2 1/2 hours.

Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:20 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]