View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:10 am



Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 I have just discovered the music of Juan Alderete 
Author Message
Promises to use Search button

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:38 pm
Posts: 7
Post I have just discovered the music of Juan Alderete
:D

And what a tremendous bass player he is. I cant understand why in the past years he hasn't had more spotlight on his bass play as his playing with the Mars Volta is nothing short of astounding. He holds a groove so well and has actually improved the bass play that Flea (who I consider to be one of the worlds best and most influential bassists) laid down on the brilliant 'De-loused in the Comatorium'. His runs up the fret board are super fast but most importantly tasteful, its not just all shred for no reason, he also knows when just to sit in and play whats good for the song. He must also have a vast technical knowledge after playing with a virtuoso like Paul Gilbert for all those years.

I didn't know who he was at all until I was listening to a bootleg from the Mars Volta show at the Boston Axis, I was listening to the song 'Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt' when it broke down into a bass solo and I hear these runs up the fret board that were done really fast and jazzy, he went into this jam in which he uses a wah peddle and just breaks into this riff that was just pure groove, I was blown away and was keen to find out more about him. I have known about Paul Gilbert for a while but hadn't checked out Racer X. I gave a listen to a couple of albums and it sounds like Juan is more of a back up man for Paul, with the Mars Volta he really gets to jam and he then does this solo spot. The music of The Mars Volta is complicated because of the free jams and the complex time signatures and Juan must be loving jamming with them. With his ability he really does deserve to be showing his talents to a large audience and If he keeps on going the way he is with Volta im sure he will. I mentioned him to a few guys from the Primus web site and although they all worship Les Claypool, they agree Juan has a massive talent.

I still don't know a whole lot about him.. who are his influences ? What bands does he like ? what does he think of Flea ? what age is he ? does he finger tap and do tech things like double handed slapping ? what kind of bass does he use ? does he use the wah peddle alot ? Is his real name John or Juan ?

The Mars Volta are such an exciting band. They have Omar Rodriguez on guitar, who I think is like a cross between Jimmy Page and Robert Fripp, Ikey Owens is wild live and solo's like a mad man on keyboards and Jon Theodore is one of the most exciting drummers I have hears in years. Juan is doing some stuff live with Volta that I havent heard before... totally new and innovative. Id say that Juan, Omar, and Jon Theodore are the tightest and best musicians in modern rock at the moment. I really hope Juan stays with them and does an album with them.

I like bassists like John Paul Jones, Flea, Les Claypool, Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, Noel Redding, Bootsy Collins and from what I have heard of Juan, he's joining the list of my favorite bassists.


I get to see Juan do his thing on the 19th of November in Glasgow and I cant wait, i seen The Mars Volta in March and although I dont think Juan was playing, it really did rock.

You can download the the song that I discovered Juan playing on here

http://www.cereboso.com/dvn/MarsVolta_7 ... ooldvn.mp3

Juan's solo in it is great.


Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:26 am
Profile
Golden God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:01 pm
Posts: 25124
Location: South of Heaven....... North of Toledo.
Post 
You're right!!!! Juan is da shit!!! I saw Volta a month or so ago.....kicked Royal ASS!!!!

_________________
http://www.TheSeanBakerOrchestra.com
http://www.myspace.com/theseanbakerorchestra
Image


Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:39 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:17 pm
Posts: 2051
Location: Upland, CA.
Post 
Welcome, King Crimson!

I do know that Jaco Pastorius is John's main bass influence. When I talked to him at the Yellow Matter Custard show, he did admit that he got a little nervous when he was onstage with The Mars Volta while Flea was watching them from the side of the stage.


Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:41 am
Profile YIM
Promises to use Search button

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:38 pm
Posts: 7
Post Did he do his solo spot at the show ?
Did he do his bass solo spot at the show ? If he did im sure even Flea would be blown away by it. Flea also plays some amazing stuff and can play some great solo's.


Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:00 am
Profile
Golden God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:01 pm
Posts: 25124
Location: South of Heaven....... North of Toledo.
Post Re: Did he do his solo spot at the show ?
King Crimson wrote:
Did he do his bass solo spot at the show ? If he did im sure even Flea would be blown away by it. Flea also plays some amazing stuff and can play some great solo's.


Yes sir......and it ROCKED!!!

_________________
http://www.TheSeanBakerOrchestra.com
http://www.myspace.com/theseanbakerorchestra
Image


Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:31 am
Profile WWW
Motorman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:44 pm
Posts: 260
Post 
Thanks for the link to the bootleg mp3. I've been wanting to get my hands on some audio of TMV with Juan for some time.


Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:20 am
Profile
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:25 pm
Posts: 8625
Location: Maryland, U.S.
Post 
Check the Racer X discussion thread for info on him King Crimson.

_________________
- Ryan


Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:29 am
Profile
is the Siren's Eye

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:27 am
Posts: 18
Post 
heh, i just got back from seeing the mars volta. it was fantastic.

John is my favorite bass player by far and as far as bass players go, i like to think of him as what paul gilbert would sound like on bass.


Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:52 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:44 pm
Posts: 11819
Post 
You are correct...it's great to see John getting recognized for his playing.

BTW...John said that MV is way harder than Racer X live.

_________________
Ken Hower Wrote: My advice to everyone.....DO NOT purchase any of these photographs....Tim Findlay can jack off to his hearts content over his killer pictures...alone.

Regards,
Ken


Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Motorman
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:12 pm
Posts: 336
Location: Valencia(Spain)
Post Re: I have just discovered the music of Juan Alderete
King Crimson wrote:
:D

And what a tremendous bass player he is. I cant understand why in the past years he hasn't had more spotlight on his bass play as his playing with the Mars Volta is nothing short of astounding. He holds a groove so well and has actually improved the bass play that Flea (who I consider to be one of the worlds best and most influential bassists) laid down on the brilliant 'De-loused in the Comatorium'. His runs up the fret board are super fast but most importantly tasteful, its not just all shred for no reason, he also knows when just to sit in and play whats good for the song. He must also have a vast technical knowledge after playing with a virtuoso like Paul Gilbert for all those years.

I didn't know who he was at all until I was listening to a bootleg from the Mars Volta show at the Boston Axis, I was listening to the song 'Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt' when it broke down into a bass solo and I hear these runs up the fret board that were done really fast and jazzy, he went into this jam in which he uses a wah peddle and just breaks into this riff that was just pure groove, I was blown away and was keen to find out more about him. I have known about Paul Gilbert for a while but hadn't checked out Racer X. I gave a listen to a couple of albums and it sounds like Juan is more of a back up man for Paul, with the Mars Volta he really gets to jam and he then does this solo spot. The music of The Mars Volta is complicated because of the free jams and the complex time signatures and Juan must be loving jamming with them. With his ability he really does deserve to be showing his talents to a large audience and If he keeps on going the way he is with Volta im sure he will. I mentioned him to a few guys from the Primus web site and although they all worship Les Claypool, they agree Juan has a massive talent.

I still don't know a whole lot about him.. who are his influences ? What bands does he like ? what does he think of Flea ? what age is he ? does he finger tap and do tech things like double handed slapping ? what kind of bass does he use ? does he use the wah peddle alot ? Is his real name John or Juan ?

The Mars Volta are such an exciting band. They have Omar Rodriguez on guitar, who I think is like a cross between Jimmy Page and Robert Fripp, Ikey Owens is wild live and solo's like a mad man on keyboards and Jon Theodore is one of the most exciting drummers I have hears in years. Juan is doing some stuff live with Volta that I havent heard before... totally new and innovative. Id say that Juan, Omar, and Jon Theodore are the tightest and best musicians in modern rock at the moment. I really hope Juan stays with them and does an album with them.

I like bassists like John Paul Jones, Flea, Les Claypool, Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, Noel Redding, Bootsy Collins and from what I have heard of Juan, he's joining the list of my favorite bassists.


I get to see Juan do his thing on the 19th of November in Glasgow and I cant wait, i seen The Mars Volta in March and although I dont think Juan was playing, it really did rock.

You can download the the song that I discovered Juan playing on here

http://www.cereboso.com/dvn/MarsVolta_7 ... ooldvn.mp3

Juan's solo in it is great.





I agree with you! :D


Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:43 pm
Profile
is O.H.B.

Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 3
Location: san francisco/sacramento, ca
Post 
KenHower wrote:
You are correct...it's great to see John getting recognized for his playing.

BTW...John said that MV is way harder than Racer X live.


i bet, man. talk about mad crazy rhythms! hey ken, if you talk to john anytime soon, can you let him know that i will be at the sf show. i want to make sure i see him. i think i got lucky last time... it would be lame to miss him this time around. thanks :) maybe i can give you my number to pass along...?

_________________
"i'll be a rocknroll bitch for you"


Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.