View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Levi (MissMisstreater) and the Guitarsoles 
Godzilla

Post Levi (MissMisstreater) and the Guitarsoles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yel9qAdnXKY

A (former?) community member and his buddies (including the amazing Lyle Watt and a member of the multi-viral Party Cannon) go on-topic for this forum.

Levi has come a long way since he hung out all the time on here.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:48 pm
Dr. X

Post Re: Levi (MissMisstreater) and the Guitarsoles
Why am I thinking....?

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:03 pm
Viking Kong

silentbob777 wrote:
Why am I thinking....?

Haha, remembering some of his posts, that below the belt lame insult seems only fair !

Glad to know he's doing well though.
Watched some of his playing, he's great !

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:47 pm
Viking Kong

He still seems to be quite a dick though ! ^^
Crusading on calling out others as frauds in improvising... not afraid of boasting his own skills (even though he has great skills !)
Ranting all the time... feeling the need to call out the people in the race for being the fastest guitar player, like anyone cares ?
People who wanna be in that race will keep at it until they become (or think they are) the best or until they give up, and those not interested in it are wise enough to not pay attention.

That cocksucker always seems to have something to prove !

But eh, good for him I guess, if his followers can tolerate his ego, he seems to be teaching very sound things, when he isn't wasting his energy ranting.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:55 pm
Viking Kong

I did watch this video you suggested Gandalf and yeah he went on topic a little.

Personally I agree a little with Levi... what is good music and what isn't good music really depends on the point of view and Paul seems to make a huge deal out of rythmn and complex chord changes while almost rejecting some of his previous accomplishments. Sometimes I feel like he is getting lost in nerdiness, he plays better rock than anyone in my opinion and even though the chord progressions are more limited, it's still an art to make compelling music in this format, and he does it great, without ever being boring.

He is always striving to try new chord changes and scales and modes now, with a very scholar approach (at least that's my guess from what I hear in his interviews) : talking about major, minor, the sixth, the third, flat, sharp and so on. It's like a mad scientist experiment.

Sometimes he does say something like "this chord breaks my heart" or "this melody sounds very mysterious", and these are the times I feel he's onto something musically, and where he forgets about the sixths, majors, minors, sharps and flats and listens to what he feels. Maybe in order to achieve these discoveries he needs to do all that nerdy scale exploration.

I can't say I know what his creative process really is, but from some of his interviews it was a little my impression : he wrote the solo to vibrato on a kazoo to play the sounds in his head, which I applaud, but at the same time he seems to take so much pride in deliberately writing the song in B flat and starting on the and of 2, the latter two I find pointless if it wasn't intended to achieve something in his gut, and if it only aimed to do something more complicated.

I'm less dubious with his obsession with rythmn though, the ideas he gets out of that is great, although sometimes when he demonstrates it, he plays stuff that is so short and falls so much into place it's like listening to someone stuttering. On many occasions though his rythmnic ideas prove to be killer.

Who am I to criticize anyway ? I can't play a fraction of what he can play... I'm only saying what my inner sense of music is telling me.

But being a Racer X fan, I sometimes believe he is too focused on technicalities (which is really ironic when you think about how technical Racer X is in terms of speed, but here I'm talking about a different kind of technicality), and he used to express himself a lot more naturally in rock, conveying powerful and energetic feelings. Longer phrases that flowed smoothly, and weren't so worried to remind the listener so often of what the tempo is. While some of his jazz and blues make me feel like I'm listening to someone's complex thoughts being articulated like a math lesson. There is beauty in logic I guess, but that's not what I wanna hear when I listen to Paul Gilbert.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:38 pm
Godzilla

Levi seems to want to be known for being the controversial guitar guy. It's one way of gathering clicks and getting exposure, I suppose, but I reckon he burns many bridges in doing so.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:50 pm
Viking Kong

yep, just a prick who wants to get clicks on his vids.

I unfollowed him on Facebook a while back because I couldn't take it anymore.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:16 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]