View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Vote in GW's Poll: Paul vs John 5... today only(May 17th)!! 
Viking Kong

Post Vote in GW's Poll: Paul vs John 5... today only(May 17th)!!
Guitar World is having a "Greatest Guitarist of all Time" poll where 128 guitarists go head to head, round by round, in a bracketed format. Today's match up is Paul Gilbert vs John 5. So click on the link below and vote, this particular match-up is only going on today.

http://www.guitarworld.com/poll-greates ... -vs-john-5

For those of you who are curious, here is the bracket for the contest so far...
http://dl.guitarworld.com/GW-GreatestGu ... racket.pdf

Thu May 17, 2012 2:58 pm
Motorman

Post Re: Vote in GW's Poll: Paul vs John 5... today only(May 17th
Oy, how do you put Mark Knopfler against Jeff Beck in the 1st round?

Also:

Tipton > Murray
and
Morse > Becker

Thu May 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Viking Kong

How did Derek Trucks lose to Joe Walsh?

Fri May 18, 2012 2:18 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Wow Eric Clapton has a pretty easy bracket. That's kinda stupid since I know he'll lose lol

Fri May 18, 2012 4:05 am
Viking Kong

Tom Morello over Robert Fripp?

Fri May 18, 2012 7:20 am
Motorman

Zesty wrote:

Are you shitting me?

Fri May 18, 2012 6:06 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Jerhova wrote:
Zesty wrote:

Are you shitting me?

Yeah it was a stupid matchup. Can't believe Morello won

Fri May 18, 2012 6:20 pm
Viking Kong

I'm not surprised he won, it's just not what I feel is the right choice.

Fri May 18, 2012 6:23 pm
Viking Kong

One match up was so screwy that Guitar World actually had to go back and nullify it. It was Dave Mustaine vs Buddy Guy. Dave won by a very small margin, but the outrage from everyone regarding that match up was so heated that GW pulled it from the bracket and announced that they will have them re-matched up against players that are more compatible to their musical styles.

Fri May 18, 2012 8:16 pm
Viking Kong

Pao wrote:
Jerhova wrote:
Zesty wrote:

Are you shitting me?

Yeah it was a stupid matchup. Can't believe Morello won

I do agree that some of the match ups and winners make you stop and go “WTF”? However the poll is not supposed to be based purely on playing ability. GW asks that you consider the following…

Quote:
You might come across one or two interesting style matchups in this poll, which may lead some of you to wonder, "How do you compare a shred guitarist to a blues guitarist?" Aside from how good a player is at his or her given style, here are some things to take into consideration:

• Influence: Who inspired more kids to beg their parents for a guitar for Christmas? Who inspired a wave of copycats?

• Chops/Versatility: Is the guitarist in question a one-trick pony or a master of many styles?

• Body of Work: Who had the more consistent career? Who has played on more classic albums?

• Creativity: Who pioneered new techniques? Who sounds the most radically different from what came before them?

So for example when Tony MacAlpine went up against Yngwie Malmsteen: I personally felt that Tony is the better guitar player and plain out better musician, however Yngwie pioneered a style of playing that changed guitar playing, influenced way more players, and his body of work is more massive than Tony’s. So even though personally I prefer Tony and feel that his skills are superior to Yngwie’s, my vote still went to Yngwie.

Fri May 18, 2012 8:40 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Randy Rhoads anywhere? This is a contest like the old "Circus" magazine, where the the best guitarist is always Mick Mars, and the best bassist is Nikki Sixx..etc

Sat May 19, 2012 1:21 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Maybe GW has considered that controversy is the best way of getting attention for its site. Sad. :)

Sat May 19, 2012 5:12 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

LoQ wrote:
I do agree that some of the match ups and winners make you stop and go “WTF”? However the poll is not supposed to be based purely on playing ability. GW asks that you consider the following…

Quote:
You might come across one or two interesting style matchups in this poll, which may lead some of you to wonder, "How do you compare a shred guitarist to a blues guitarist?" Aside from how good a player is at his or her given style, here are some things to take into consideration:

• Influence: Who inspired more kids to beg their parents for a guitar for Christmas? Who inspired a wave of copycats?

• Chops/Versatility: Is the guitarist in question a one-trick pony or a master of many styles?

• Body of Work: Who had the more consistent career? Who has played on more classic albums?

• Creativity: Who pioneered new techniques? Who sounds the most radically different from what came before them?

So for example when Tony MacAlpine went up against Yngwie Malmsteen: I personally felt that Tony is the better guitar player and plain out better musician, however Yngwie pioneered a style of playing that changed guitar playing, influenced way more players, and his body of work is more massive than Tony’s. So even though personally I prefer Tony and feel that his skills are superior to Yngwie’s, my vote still went to Yngwie.

I was gonna start out by saying the categories isn't fair, but with all of that combined it's like all they're asking for is Guthrie Govan. They're basically asking for the person who can adapt to any situation and can do whatever he wants with his playing, and is miles better than most popular guitar players.

The problem with this, though, is that as much as TJ Helmerich for example is mainly a two handed tapping/touch style player, Brett Garsed has stated that he's also an amazing picker, something we don't see in videos/recordings. It's not just Guthrie who can play anything he wants? Some others just prefer a certain way or are known to play in that certain way which is why they continue on with that path. I mean isn't that why Andy Timmons wrote Groove or Die? Because so many students keep asking him to play neo-classical stuff? I mean I'm sure professional musicians have the time to up their technique and create music as much as they want and It'd be kind of stupid for them to release something that sounds like every other guitarist, though, which is why they're trying to come up with new things? Or at least come up with things that have a voice attuned to what they want.

Creativity (under the definition they put in) is unfair too, cause that would put all the older players ahead of the new players. And "radically different" is kind of vague. Meh. Body of work in terms of classic albums puts the older players ahead as well. Consistent work is also vague.

Influence is also unfair, and this has something to do with the internet. I'm guessing kids nowadays have heard of Hendrix and Page and what-not, but I'm pretty sure they're a lot more influenced by PG or Vai or Dragonforce or some shit. Heck, they might not even be influenced by those and would rather listen to newer bands. Guthrie kind of wins this category as well, but like I said, it has something to do with the internet. Guitar music isn't like popular music, it will always be picky and someone better (than the crappy musicians that are taking over) will always come along. Nobody can say that guitar/instrumental music is shit "nowadays" because it will never be. At least I think so?

/rant over? lol

Sat May 19, 2012 6:00 am
Search Button God!

Those polls are pointless.

Sat May 19, 2012 9:40 am
Viking Kong

notkrap wrote:
Randy Rhoads anywhere? This is a contest like the old "Circus" magazine, where the the best guitarist is always Mick Mars, and the best bassist is Nikki Sixx..etc

Round one isn't finished yet and they don't announce ahead of time everyone who is in it, but I have no doubt that Randy will be a part of it.

BTW Mick Mars already lost out to Slash. :wink: :P

Sat May 19, 2012 3:41 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

is rich ward in? i love rich ward hes teh best

Sat May 19, 2012 3:59 pm
Viking Kong

No Rich Ward, boycotting this piece of shit. :x

Sat May 19, 2012 6:21 pm
Viking Kong

What a fucking waste of time........ANYONE who's ever even picked up a guitar KNOWS that CC Deville should win this whole thing HANDS-FUCKING-DOWN !!!

Thu May 24, 2012 2:51 pm
Viking Kong

notkrap wrote:
Randy Rhoads anywhere?

The Randy vote is going on right now (May 24th). He is up against Uli Jon Roth
http://www.guitarworld.com/poll-greates ... i-jon-roth

Thu May 24, 2012 4:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]