View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 New Paul record "Vibrato" (merged) 
Viking Kong

Post Re: New Paul record "Vibrato" (merged)
Sir Robin wrote:
I think some people should take a listen to this avoiding the thought "let's hear Paul shred".

Honestly, I had already given up on that thought a while ago and listened to the album ready for anything and double checking I was not hoping to hear any shred.

So I listened to non shred albums I liked : Flying Colors, Morcheeba, The Best Of Alain Souchon (french pop music), and other various albums unrelated to shred or heavy metal, and unrelated to one another in order to avoid putting myself in any particular kind of mood.

Then I checked out Vibrato... and I'm not listening to it twice. It was just dull. My " favorite " (read : the one I found the least uninteresting) track is Vibrato, which has the best groove, but I still find it repetitive and boring.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:29 am
Search Button God!

Acid Wire wrote:
Then I checked out Vibrato... and I'm not listening to it twice. It was just dull. My " favorite " (read : the one I found the least uninteresting) track is Vibrato, which has the best groove, but I still find it repetitive and boring.

My thoughts exactly.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:44 am
Superhero

Listening to it for the first time right now...

Five songs in and Vibrato is the only song that's made me tap my foot.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:26 pm
Superhero

I haven't listened to the whole album, but I haven't laughed quite as hard as when I listened to that motorcar / enemies monologue in a long time. I have no idea if it was intentionally funny or not, but it really creased my up.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:43 pm
Dr. X

album is very good. But it sounds more an Emi Gilbert album than a Paul Gilbert one !

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:53 am
Motorman

I haven't been on this board in over 2 years but had to see how it's being received.

I'm not liking the Vibrato album! The funk/soul/jazz are just not for me! It's okay to try new things but this is 'just ok'. Wouldn't even say it's good. Way too much Emi on here. Sad to not have a PG record in my top 30 of the year.

I'll await the next pop/rock/metal/classical outing. This is just dull and uninteresting to me. :(

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

elfranchicano wrote:
...it sounds more an Emi Gilbert album than a Paul Gilbert one !

When Paul got married i wondered how it would effect his albums and song writing. He used to write songs about girls: girls who can read your mind. girlfriends birthday, girl crazy, beautiful girls are insane, koto girl, girls watching, every hot girls is a rockstar, amy is amazing, my naomi, dreamed victoria, rosalinda told me, always for allison, lucy brown, etc.

Immediately after getting married he went the instrumental route, thus not having to deal with the issue 'do I write songs about girls now that I'm married?'. The only 'vocal albums' since have been the collaboration with Freddie Nelson and the Mr. Big album (where Paul didn't sing lead). Vibratto obviously has no songs about girls which is ok. Not saying PG can't change but with the amount of Emi on this new disc, i just hope her influence remains minimal and we don't have a yoko ono thing happening. Don't know of many musicians who have their wives on their releases.

Just a thought on the direction Paul could be going?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Well, I like the keyboards on this new style, and I will not compain about having "too much Emi". It sounds good, and gives the song some new dynamics.

Now, what really upsets me, is that whenever Emi is on tour with him, you may have to be prepared to hear Scarified with keyboards... although he hasn't played Scarified in a while, either... :(

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:21 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

I love the monologue in "Enemies in jail" :D

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:22 pm
Search Button God!

Sir Robin wrote:
Now, what really upsets me, is that whenever Emi is on tour with him, you may have to be prepared to hear Scarified with keyboards... although he hasn't played Scarified in a while, either... :(

He play's the 'unplugged/dynamic' version now.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:32 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Is this starting to become the Getting Heavier of Technical Difficulties/Superheroes?

Because I loved Getting Heavier. I mean not as much as the other two, but I liked it. Go-GG-Go!

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:34 pm
Search Button God!

Pao wrote:
Is this starting to become the Getting Heavier of Technical Difficulties/Superheroes?

No.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:43 pm
Dr. X

I really enjoy the keyboards on this album. But I feel like solos are not guitar but just keyboards.

A bit sad there's no more guitar solos than that.

Also a bit disappointed there are only 7 original tunes.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:47 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Well, I really enjoy the new album and Im listening every day, every time! All the songs are great! But....

This is not the kind of album that we were expecting from PG.. this album has LESS guitar than another one of your pg's album choice and thats the point.. I think we'll never listen to another new "BURNING ORGAN" again...

But its ok.. My favorite song on this album: Atmosphere on the Moon (great vocals).

I was thinking about this Emi "ONO" Gilbert thing another day.. LOL.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:21 pm
Viking Kong

Also, Paul's choices for studio covers have been poor in the last 2 albums IMO.

Bach Partittia was very boring to listen to, and Blue Rondo.. isn't very cool as well. It's just... when are we going to hear stuff like "The Jig" or "B.R.O." again?

EDIT: I considered "blue Rondo..." as Paul's usual "classical cover" of this album.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:40 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Listened to the new album and I'm just not feeling it... I will always support whatever PG does and I get that he's just "exploring" musically whatever he's feeling at the time he records a new disc, but again (and of course this is just my opinion) I haven't really been into a PG solo disc (completely all the way through start to finish) since GOOMY.... :chew:

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:46 pm
Dr. X

speed1000 wrote:
elfranchicano wrote:
...it sounds more an Emi Gilbert album than a Paul Gilbert one !

When Paul got married i wondered how it would effect his albums and song writing. He used to write songs about girls: girls who can read your mind. girlfriends birthday, girl crazy, beautiful girls are insane, koto girl, girls watching, every hot girls is a rockstar, amy is amazing, my naomi, dreamed victoria, rosalinda told me, always for allison, lucy brown, etc.

Immediately after getting married he went the instrumental route, thus not having to deal with the issue 'do I write songs about girls now that I'm married?'. The only 'vocal albums' since have been the collaboration with Freddie Nelson and the Mr. Big album (where Paul didn't sing lead). Vibratto obviously has no songs about girls which is ok. Not saying PG can't change but with the amount of Emi on this new disc, i just hope her influence remains minimal and we don't have a yoko ono thing happening. Don't know of many musicians who have their wives on their releases.

Just a thought on the direction Paul could be going?

Which would be a great theory had not PG already been married once, indeed during a time when some of the songs you quote were released. But nice try.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:37 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Xelatunes wrote:
Listened to the new album and I'm just not feeling it... I will always support whatever PG does and I get that he's just "exploring" musically whatever he's feeling at the time he records a new disc, but again (and of course this is just my opinion) I haven't really been into a PG solo disc (completely all the way through start to finish) since GOOMY.... :chew:

Racer X! Racer X! Racer X! No one? Come on, guys! Join the chanting!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:10 am
Motorman

silentbob777 wrote:
Which would be a great theory had not PG already been married once, indeed during a time when some of the songs you quote were released. But nice try.

Hmm. well he divorced the first one in '96 after 3 years and his first solo album wasn't until '98. :P Those were Mr. Big years.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Maybe it has to do with him being 46 years old and not on his early 30s..... 8)

Let the man sing about his new pair of pants and how expensive haircuts are nowadays.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:11 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next