View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Evil Scumbag Gear Thieves 
Queen Dork of the board

Post Evil Scumbag Gear Thieves
Short posts for ease of reading!

It seems like Paul's Premier Guitar column thread was becoming a gear theft thread, and that's *probably* not the intent, because Paul will have other awesome lessons in the future, so here's a thread just for all things gear-pinching related.

Someone actually hit my blog with the term "Paul Gilbert gear stolen" yesterday. I wanted to cry.

Anyway my rough thought-plan, if any, is... see how close we can get to documenting just what was taken so we know what to put on the various stolen gear masterlists, and what not to worry about listing. Once you guys have the list, you can begin your hunts for the purloined gear, if you choose.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:03 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Post Re: Evil Scumbag Gear Thieves
It's probably futile - this stuff's probably in Qatar or Siberia or some knockoff factory in China by now - but you gear-heads will like looking at the list for historical & contextual reasons regardless, so why not? You guys love lists!

It's probably settled through insurance, but some of the things... I think one of the pink Racer X roadcases was on the tour... have a lot of sentimental value. *very sad*

The *main* blessing to remember is that Paul and his band and crew were not hurt or killed at the end of 2010. You want a scary use of What If? There's one. The worst thing that happened to Paul in 2011 was that he sliced a part of one of his finger calluses off... but not one drop of blood was shed. There's not even a frikkin' tour cold to gripe about. He's very fortunate. Let's be grateful he's still alive!

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:05 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Pics! Pics! Pics!
This time I have chosen photos from the Fuzz Universe tour, for their ability to document what gear was present and being used. I am still working on getting the pictures of the soundboards / rack audio gear (I had to friend the guy, now I have to wait and see if he approves me).

Please make *and post* your Gear I.D lists as exactly as possible from the photos. The sooner the better.

Items Presumed Lost (the people are OK, thank God!)

Craig, Iceman Bass

Gear Glimpses by Zae and Pruthvi Odedra:

Remy and Paul. Korina Fireman (Paul's, not Remy's)

Paul and Jeff. Red Fireman

Paul. Red Fireman, DiMarzio strap ('Urban Decay in white')

Paul. Korina Fireman, DiMarzio strap ('Urban Decay in white')

Paul. Wireless headset, Bullet Cable

Paul. Video monitor (for Jeff's snare drum), pedalboard, power pack for monitor

Paul. Pedalboard, pick holder on mic stand, mic, misc. cable & gaffer's tape

Jeff... some drums

Paul and Craig... bass amps, misc. gear

Paul and Craig - view of rear of the red Fireman headstock & back of guitar

Paul and Tony. Lawsuit-era Ibanez Destroyer.

Tony. Lawsuit-era Ibanez Destroyer, Hippie Strap (it does say Paul Gilbert on the reverse)

Full band, full panoramic stage shot

Paul's Pedalboard - shot by Volkan

GEAR actually in the cases, and merch, by Volkan

Guitars in their "stable"

"Set List at Mixer"

"VIP Jam Marshall" - by PGA1000Dude
"That's a Lehle P-Split on top (the orange thing, in case anyone is wondering), it's a ground lift and/or splits the signal in order to plug into 2 amps at the same time etc."

Lastly, the bus. Note trailer. Pic is from Jeff's website.

+

One item not documented in pictures was a sterling silver guitar pick necklace pendant which Dewi bought for Paul, and gave to him. She had it engraved with some saying on one side and on the other side, was a rising sun, symbolic of Japan and also the Fuzz Universe album cover. I wasn't involved in this at all... other then as a motivator. hehe.

+ Items known to be safe (saw these items in pics from 2011):

Paul's wedding ring
Paul's octopus ring

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:20 pm
Queen Dork of the board

OK, here is the rack audio equipment.
This was the most difficult gear to track down.
These were taken backstage in Vilnius.

Most of the equipment can be seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN40LMi0_xA

Please identify / make a list of each component in the racks.
Paul has numbered some of them convienently. That's his writing. It's also his writing on the PreSonus board (the green label).

That's about all I have regarding Paul and his Fuzz gear at the moment.

++ If the merchandise (shirts, laminate passes, picks, etc) was in the trailer / bus, and not handed over to someone right at the end of the tour pre-arrival-at-hotel-room, and the band owned it and not the label, list that too.

** I linked this thread on my blog, so if anyone sees this and also my blog, you're in the right place; post or PM away! **

side note: I was going to make a tour diary, but with this very bad ending, I'm not sure that would be a good thing... some tours don't need to be immortalized. That's why I collected all the pictures though - I have WAY more then what is shown here. If you guys think the diary is a good move, send me a PM - I have reviews of almost every show and TONS of nice pics. ;)

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:29 pm
God Of The Sun

good job
I'm not sure about the mixing desk and rack gear, doesn't everyone just use what the venue has?

I think the worst part is that the Firemen got stolen, those are both the very first of their kind

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:52 pm
Superhero

Paul was advertising some mixing system so I think he's had one of his own on the tour.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Queen Dork of the board

Two things occured to me.

#1. I don't know when that lesson was written and sent to Premier Guitar. For all I know, Paul could have been reading from a transcript when he did the interview and Premier could have typed it up. The interview was in, IIRC, very late December, or maybe early January... I can check. When the lesson was published in mid-March... I thought "this must be recent." This could be a huge error on my part - and any reader's part who doesn't question the date of writing vs. the date of publishing. There is no date on the lesson! This could be from 3 months ago. If that's the case, there's a chance Paul's got the gear back by now. I have no idea, but I did ask, and crossed all my fingers.

This possibility occured to me because amazingly by some stroke of good fortune, Jeff told me that he got his drums back. So, he and the drums are safe. Some Gear Recovered! We can cross them off the list. There is hope. This isn't as wild of a goose-chase now... It's still almost hopeless but that glimmer is where the collective WE work very well.

That is all I know.
Sadly, all other gear still needs to be presumed lost.

Until of course it's known if Paul got it all back by now.
(You'd think he would have issued a retraction in his Premier Guitar thread though, if that was the case...? Or the editor would have removed / amended that part...?)
The thread will be deleted in that case, and you all may have a good belly laugh at my expense. I sort-of hope that is what happens because I would rather feel like the village idiot, and let you guys laugh at me, then think Paul's gear is missing via malefice. It is so sad to think the gear is gone. Please join me in hoping that I am truly the queen dork of the board, and Paul's got all his gear back - better safe then sorry! I'm waiting eagerly for the answer.

#2. I have all of Paul's pedals for this tour identified on my blog. Here they are.

Boss TU2 (tuner)
Ibanez AF2
Boss DD3
Homebrew Mini Compressor Retro
HBE Detox EQ
MXR Phase 90
Majix Box Fuzz Universe
Keeley Looper

MXR Phase 100
MXR Blue Box Octave Fuzz
Pedal Power II Plus

On a handmade black (painted?) board which is L-ish-shaped. Held together with white/blue Velcro.

There are 2 devices on top of his amp. One is white (a pedal) and the other is the THD HotPlate. How many Ohms is the HotPlate? It's the purple one...
I forget the name of the white pedal but it's in the Fuzz tour thread. Will have to go look for that later.

So that's the first identifications out of the way... Now we need to know what was on Craig's and Tony's boards... and all the other things in the pics.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:17 am
Viking Kong

flying-dino wrote:
There are 2 devices on top of his amp. One is white (a pedal) and the other is the THD HotPlate. How many Ohms is the HotPlate? It's the purple one...

Purple hotplate is 8 ohm.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:29 am
Queen Dork of the board

THANK YOU xjustice09x!

More hope!
Or... more credence to the I'm a dork theory.
Take your pick.

The flannel shirt on Paul is what dates this to post-Fuzz-tour... that's the one I was thinking of. That shirt is also in a '2-days-after-Paris' picture RIGHT after the tour ended.
(I'm becoming glad I pay attention to his shirts...)

That looks awfully like a genuine Fireman in Manos Fazos' hands.
Sure, it could be a replacement. All of those looked awesome. Handcrafted Japanese quality. :)
His arm is covering the grain. I can't see the pattern that would tell me if it was Paul's original, or if it's a replacement.
All of you who picked on me for staring at neck grain in '08 - it's these tiny details that differentiate one similar item from the next... :)
I don't deny that I'm a dork: I'm a detail-oriented dork! :) <<-- sig-worthy?

User profile link: http://www.myspace.com/549530639
There is NO DATE on the picture - MySpace screwed up their entire scheme of doing things and one of the helpful items they removed was "date posted" on pictures.
I have provided his link so you can ask him when it was taken.

While we wait for more ID's...
It's a glimmer of hope...
If nothing else, it looks like Manos VIP'd, so he's probably fascinating to talk to.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:36 am
Dr. X

Since the theft happened in Paris, there's a chance the gear still in France.
I promise I will review this week end french music forums etc... just to see if someone is offering a fireman or a 2266c amp or anything else.
I'll post it right it if I find something.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:04 am
Queen Dork of the board

I'd like to share 2 things... I've been laughing since 9:45 am.

First of all, I should NOT have made that error of "not checking the publish date vs. knowing the interview date." I should have known to check or follow up - usually, I do. I had quit all of this 'Paul documentation', between the interview and publish dates though. Unfortunately, real life bit me in the butt. I had less then 2 hours of sleep, felt like crud, and the big news of the day (besides nuclear half-meltdowns in Japan) was from Paul himself "The bus driver stole all my gear." and then right away, some fans, "ALL OF IT?!" *sigh*

Second, the possibility exists that everything's cool, fine and dandy, squared away - all the gear may very well be safe. Hope to know soon. So please continue to NOT panic or freak out.

Someone floated the idea that it was a misunderstanding. If it's not a mechanic's lien - which would boil down to a misunderstanding over pay - it's theft, plain and simple... you don't leave with someone else's gear and then refuse to give it back.

Hoping the gear is all safe and there was no risk to the band. Hoping this is some sort of weird prank or in-joke.

Bottom line, you see why I quit?
Jenn, stick to pictures.
LOL.

Udates will be posted as known. I'm still waiting for model #'s and such on some stuff, but mostly, I'm procrastinating because I don't want to do any more typing.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:32 pm
Superhero

'So please continue to NOT panic or freak out.'

Ok

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:27 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Random people are beginning to pick this up - either from Ibanez, or Premier Guitar, or even the Racer X forum as found today. Since people are starting to direct eachother here, to this thread, I figured I'd put in another update so everyone knows where we're getting our information, and our basis for posting / looking / checking.

Before I get accused of making this up or some other rubbish, here is our basis for The Gear Theft Thread.
I've included 'editorial' screen capture excerpts taken this morning.
Usually I delete the URL's in my screengrabs, but I left them in this time.

From Premier Guitar Magazine (written by Paul)

The interview was taken post-tour (late Dec.-early Jan. 2010), and then the lesson was posted on March 15, 2011.

From Paul's website (handwritten by Paul)

That entry was posted Jan. 6, 2011.
I know that because on that day, I found his update and posted about it (as my last post in the Fuzz Universe tour thread, which is here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20028 ).

Neither site has posted an update, retraction, or editor's note, so without asking Paul, or someone who can directly ask him - how are we to know the gear hasn't all been returned?
It could be all safe. It's been ~3 months. So, just a FYI.

(This is a little bass-ackwards because it should have been at the top of the thread, but, oh well, as long as it's included, right?)

Has anyone been able to I.D the rack equipment yet? (*Should we bother? If it's all safe... we should party and celebrate. I'd rather celebrate then type. :) )

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:58 pm
Racer X - Current Member

Hi Jenn,

I know your intentions are good. But...

I don't even know where to begin.

Can you just calm down?

I'm fine. If you are geniunely worried about my gear, just ASK ME about it, and if it's REALLY IMPORTANT and I NEED YOUR HELP, I will let you know.

Otherwise...

Just CALM DOWN.

Thank you,

Paul

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:46 pm
Dr. X

Paul wrote:
Hi Jenn,

I know your intentions are good. But...

I don't even know where to begin.

Can you just calm down?

I'm fine. If you are geniunely worried about my gear, just ASK ME about it, and if it's REALLY IMPORTANT and I NEED YOUR HELP, I will let you know.

Otherwise...

Just CALM DOWN.

Thank you,

Paul

This!

Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:20 pm
Superhero

' I'm gonna go take a celebration piss. '

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:50 pm
Motorman

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:54 pm
Viking Kong

Thank you.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:34 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

The man has spoken... you're a psycho....

please stop

Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:31 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

I dont know, Paul...are you SURE you don't need your pick holder and gaffa tape back?

Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next