View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Scott Travis re: Paul Gilbert, Racer X, and rock stardom 
Queen Dork of the board

Post Scott Travis re: Paul Gilbert, Racer X, and rock stardom
I decided to post this interview found today (in lieu of e-mailing it to Paul... anything that can stave off the Send Button!) because you guys will appreciate it. It's cool! Maybe you guys have seen this, maybe not. It is not a Racer X interview - it's mostly Scott talking about his drums, career, and musicianship. I found it while sourcing PG interviews - I wasn't looking for Racer X, Scott Travis, etc. stuff at all. Serendipitous clicking!

Source: http://www.cryingpuppet.com/interviews. ... =1&NID=132
29 April 2007, by Frostmourne

The full interview can be read by clicking the link. Excerpts are below:

CP: Do you have a favorite lick that you've ever played in your career?

ST: Well, obviously, the intro to "Painkiller" is a pretty memorable point in my career. "Scarified", a Racer X tune that we did on "Second Heat" is a pretty cool little figure too. I think those songs are cool because the drum intros really fit the song. It´s not really about doing a flurry of drum stuff and then launching into a song that´s completely out of context. Both those intros fit the plots of the songs. When we did "Scarified", people that went to PIT (the Percussion Institute of Technology) got hit with it from Paul Gilbert, who taught it GIT (the Guitar Institute of Technology). Drummers who went there used to say, "yeah, the first thing you do is practice "Scarified", or they´d audition drummers on "Scarified", or stuff like that. So, it became like a little cult thing that I used to hear about, and I don´t know how widespread it was across the world, but definitely that song and "Painkiller" are particularly memorable.

CP: Still on the subject of favorites, do you have a favorite person that you´ve played with?

ST: I´d say Paul Gilbert's probably my favorite. He´s a special guy in and of himself, not just for the guitar. The cool thing about Paul is not just that he´s a scary guitar player, but that we´re close to the same age, and we grew up listening to the same music. Y´know, the UFOs, the Van Halens, the Rush, all of those. He, like myself, would learn all those songs, too. So, when we got together back in ´86 or ´87, we´d start jamming, and he would know everything! You can´t stump Paul. You´d start playing a tune, and he´d say, "Yeah, I think I know how to play that," and he´d start playing. He knows a little bit of everything, if not the whole tune. Paul´s a blast to play with.

and an interesting finale...

CP: You play in a huge, heavy metal juggernaut and a smaller rock band that plays club shows. Which lifestyle do you prefer?

ST: Well, I´m not gonna lie, I love playing the bigger places. I always think it´s funny when bands say, "oh, we like playing the smaller, intimate gigs." That´s bullshit. Everyone wants to be as big as they can be. I love playing in Priest because it´s the big stage, the big lights, and the big sound. If Racer X were ever to get that big, that would be absolutely wonderful. But until then, I want to play the bigger places. I want to be a rock star.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:52 pm
Motorman

It almost sounds like he would leave priest if Racer X got huge.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:57 pm
Viking Kong

I read that interview long ago, and I was trying to find it again a while back.

Thank you!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:06 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

no it doesnt it reads as

i wont do racer x because priest are bigger and i want to be big

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

Scott owns.

Image Image

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:18 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

phallictractor wrote:

no it doesnt it reads as

i wont do racer x because priest are bigger and i want to be big

Nah, it definitely reads as what tractor says, you big downer :lol:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:48 am
Godzilla

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]