View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PG Back Catalog To Be Reissued 
Queen Dork of the board

Post PG Back Catalog To Be Reissued
According to a cursory search today at HMV Online, the following Paul Gilbert titles will be re-issued in Japan.
There is currently no new info. like if there will be extra tracks, if they will be on SHM-CD, DVD, if they have been remastered, if there will be new art, etc. so stay tuned and check these links often:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3841452
Space Ship Plus
Rel. Date: July 21, 2010
Price: 2000 yen

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3841450
Paul The Young Dude

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3841449
Burning Organ Plus

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3841430
Alligator Farm Plus

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3841429
Flying Dog Plus

That's a pretty significant reinvestment in an artist for a label these days. With all this re-issuing going on, there's gotta be something good in the works. Remember how cool Ibanez was to Paul in 2009? (~ giant clinic tour of Italy, gave him one of each of the PGM's, special showcase at NAMM 2009 + appearance at Musikmesse 2009, etc.) Maybe WHD will be as cool. :)

I find the neatest stuff when I'm looking for not-really-related info. sometimes. Today I was just looking for a tracklisting or cover art for Fuzz Universe! Serendipitous clicking at work.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Mon May 31, 2010 6:22 pm
Queen Dork of the board

+ edit to the above post: Those all said "reissue CD" so they aren't going to be DVD's.
Maybe Paul will include some of this info. in his site update. *shrug*

+ We knew Paul was right, but the proof was plainly visible in the listing of his titles: the domestic (Japanese) CD's cost more to the Japanese buyers then the import CD's (stuff released outside of Japan) cost to the Japanese buyers. Japanese domestically-produced CD's cost about 400-ish yen or so more.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Mon May 31, 2010 6:33 pm
Viking Kong

Space Ship Plus? That just sounds cool :lol:

Mon May 31, 2010 6:45 pm
Queen Dork of the board

On Tower.jp, it's listed as Space Ship One Plus.

On that note, tower.jp also has these re-issues to be put out on the same date as the ones from HMV Online. (same price: 2000 yen/ea). There are also no details of what's in these re-released CD's on their pages. The links are too large for this page. I tried to get them posted here but it just didn't work out. Please go to tower.jp and find them if you're interested in buying these from that shop.

Re-issues they have:

Paul The Young Dude (Best Of) Plus
CD -- Standard Cat. #: IECP-10231

Space Ship One Plus
CD -- Standard Cat. #: IECP-10230

Burning Organ Plus
CD -- Standard Cat. #: IECP-10229

Alligator Farm Plus
CD -- Standard Cat. #: IECP-10228

Flying Dog Plus
CD -- Standard Cat. #: IECP-10227

Silliness: Do we get a pteradactyl as the plus, to go with the Flying Dog? :)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Mon May 31, 2010 8:36 pm
Viking Kong

Cool, but I doubt I'll be buying any of these (except for the Flying Dog, which I still don't own).

I actually ordered Paul the Young Dude from cdjapan together with my Fuzz Universe CD, since I still didn't have that one either.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon May 31, 2010 11:10 pm
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Dang.. if they have bonus tracks it's going to suck for me.

This is super cool though!

Mon May 31, 2010 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:45 am
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

It was probably released on a different label than the rest.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I checked it out.. my copy of King Of Clubs was released on Mayhem records licensed under Atlantic Recording Corporation.. the rest are released on Shrapnel Records.

Something else I noticed when looking online.. kind of ot but still. On the wiki page for Alligator Farm Emi Gilbert is credited as "Koto" on track 10. However there is no mention of her in the cds notes.. hmm...

Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I checked it out.. my copy of King Of Clubs was released on Mayhem records licensed under Atlantic Recording Corporation.. the rest are released on Shrapnel Records.

Something else I noticed when looking online.. kind of ot but still. On the wiki page for Alligator Farm Emi Gilbert is credited as "Koto" on track 10. However there is no mention of her in the cds notes.. hmm...

I don't think Emi played the Koto. Maybe the Koto player is actually THE Koto girl...

The only mention to Emi I've seen (not counting on the CDs she actually played), was on the Snowball of Doom CD (I think). There's a big "Thank you" to the international fans... and there's an Emi in there... I don't have my CD here, but maybe someone could confirm this.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:19 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Yup, there is. From the booklet: "Paul thanks: [...] Also, thanks to Spike, Masaki, Kei, Chris, Tetsuya, and Emi for flying across the Pacific!"

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:03 am
Dr. X

If there were the Japanese bonus tracks, which I don't have, and other bonus tracks I would be very tempted to buy these c.d.'s....again..

Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:53 am
Queen Dork of the board

One of the companies has these re-issues labeled "domestic CD" which would mean they are being produced in Japan for the Japanese market. So they are likely to have some sort of bonuses, especially because they have a lower price point (2000 yen) and a title indicating a bonus: the "plus".

[speculation, could be wrong] If they are bonus tracks, Paul's in the ridiculously busy category like in 2008. That's X amount of songs for the instrumental record (10, 11, 12?), plus 1-2 bonus tracks for each of 5 re-issued CD's, plus he's said to be writing for the next Mr. Big record. Recording ~20 songs to "PG presentability and quality" in this little time period is INTENSE... no wonder he's so quiet!
Work, work, work, sleep.
Ginger tea, ginger tea. :)

[back to regular stuff] One thing to mention... the songs, er, musical decisions he records this year are sort of world-altering: they are likely to affect him significantly for the next couple of years, and to a slighter degree for the rest of his career. It's that way with every recording musician these days, but we (fans) can see it more easily with musos who have a higher profile. The fact that the work is produced in a short period of time and has an effect for a very long period of time, is a big source of stress, but hopefully some exhilaration too - when the records are done and out the door, ready for our consumption.

Albums these days are intimately tied to tours. Mr. Big toured Japan, Europe, and Eurasia in 2009 on one re-release and one newly-released comp. of old material with 2 re-recorded songs. They did phenomenally well, especially after being gone for so long. Now here, Paul's got most of his back catalog being re-released, other then King Of Clubs which was through Atlantic. He's not been gone from the fans' public eye at all. There's something brewing here... it's got to be good.
*waiting eagerly*

~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~

Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:40 am
King Of The Monsters

Dang.. if they have bonus tracks it's going to suck for me.

This is super cool though!

x2

Image Image

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:19 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

[speculation, could be wrong] If they are bonus tracks, Paul's in the ridiculously busy category like in 2008. That's X amount of songs for the instrumental record (10, 11, 12?), plus 1-2 bonus tracks for each of 5 re-issued CD's, plus he's said to be writing for the next Mr. Big record. Recording ~20 songs to "PG presentability and quality" in this little time period is INTENSE... no wonder he's so quiet!
Work, work, work, sleep.
Ginger tea, ginger tea. :)

You do realize bonus tracks would not be brand new recorded tracks? There are always 'throw away' tracks or extra versions/songs that are recorded and never released. There are plenty of tracks we actually know about and some of us have that were never released on any album and were probably recorded during some of those sessions.

So I do hope they throw some extra tunes on the reissues, it definitely won't trouble Paul in the least. It will only trouble our wallets. :P :x

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:42 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Keep in mind that bonus tracks sometimes are new. Not as often, but sometimes.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Queen Dork of the board

What I like about EricF's counterpoints to my posts are that they are (usually) well-informed statements stemming from some talk or e-mail with "the band guys". So when he comes over here and puts stuff like that - it's cool.

What is the reason for the re-release? Has WHD acquired some Shrapnel artists recently? I checked the Shrapnel site and they are still selling GOOMY - beyond that - no information.

Amazon.jp has the 5 re-releases now. The links are too long to post here, so check Amazon jp if you want to order from there. The only big vendor without them now is CDJapan.

Other then what I posted (not the speculation stuff, that's just banter), I have no info. Keep clicking for updates.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:57 pm
Queen Dork of the board

CDJapan has 4 of the 5 listed online as of now.
They are available for pre-order and it says they'll ship on the release date.

Flying Dog Plus
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=IECP-10227

Alligator Farm Plus
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=IECP-10228

Burning Organ Plus
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=IECP-10229

Space Ship Plus
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=IECP-10230

They'll probably list the re-release for Paul The Young Dude shortly - tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry, wallets, to announce this. I know it will cause you some trouble with shrinkage, but think of how happy your owners will be if they get these "plusses". :)

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:24 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Yup! Thanks for the hint, EricF. It's cool that you e-mail / talk to Paul all the time and you share your wisdom here with us... It took me a *long* time to realize that you were bringing us the news in a really 'covert' fashion: you were alluding to things without naming a source / saying them outright.

There are bonus tracks.

Here's the raw GoogleTranslation from the bottom of the page on one of the re-issues.

"Paul Gilbert solo album relapse! Previous film, "Flying Dog" will be the first studio album since 1.5 years. Heaping of good power pop song is also the best section of Gilbert! Bonus track."

It is the popup from this page "click here to view Japanese information about this disc":

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=IECP-10228

(Here's the Japanese text, between the brackets, for those of you who have Japanese fonts in your browsers: [ ポール・ギルバートのソロ・アルバム再発! 前作「フライング・ドッグ」以来1年半ぶりとなるスタジオ・アルバム。ギルバート節の醍醐味でもあるパワー・ポップの佳曲が山盛り! ボーナス・トラック収録。]

Now we get to wait for the new tracklisting and/or the liner notes / announcement from Paul / PR / whatnot about these.

Oh... CDJapan has Paul The Young Dude (Best) Plus listed now too:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=IECP-10231

At CDJapan, all 5 re-releases are 1905 yen / ea. without the tax. (2000 yen w / tax) If international orders are tax free, CDJapan is the cheapest place to buy these because they offer the tax-free option.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:21 am
Godzilla

Post Re: PG Back Catalog To Be Reissued
Well I went ahead and ordered all five...

I figured what the hell, it helps Paul. :mrgreen:

Jason Kahrs
October 1, 1973 - January 5, 2010
“May you get to heaven a half hour before the devil knows you're dead”

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next