View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Paul Gilbert's New CD - Fuzz Universe 
Godzilla

Post Re: Paul Gilbert's New CD - Fuzz Universe
The closest I've come to finding any of these three albums is the GOOMY instructional video that I found at Guitar Center. I don't order stuff directly online, ID theft, hackers, etc....

In this world gone mad, we won't spank the monkey, the monkey will spank [i]us[/i]! ~ Jason Mewes

"I didn't know Night Ranger had this many albums" ~ Veronica Mars

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:43 am
Dr. X

Oh my bad. Guess I just don't pick up on it much!

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:33 am
Queen Dork of the board

@Ebdim9th: You can do special orders from Borders - the brick & mortar bookstore - and I think I remember seeing SFBADR advertised for sale in Borders. Talk to the clerks at brick & mortar specialty music stores too; they may be able to special order for you. We used to call them "record stores". I think Tower and HMV still have brick & mortar presence in England - not sure about anywhere else. My bro worked at a record store a long time ago (wow... has it really been 15 years?!) and he used to process special orders for people all the time!

Anyway, here's a cool new review of Fuzz Universe! It's in German.
Beware of possible 'tour surprise' spoiler details.
http://www.darkscene.at/index.php?m=review&i=4747

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:20 am
Superhero

Borders has been liquidated hasn't it?

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:24 pm
Dr. X

flying-dino wrote:
@Ebdim9thAnyway, here's a cool new review of Fuzz Universe! It's in German.
Beware of possible 'tour surprise' spoiler details.
http://www.darkscene.at/index.php?m=review&i=4747

thanks for the link! :)

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:48 pm
Dr. X

After two months of daily listening, I can assure you it's my fav Paul instrumental CD.
"Screen Door" and "Blowtorch" remains my favorites from the beginning.
"Propeller" was the most mind blowing song at the first listening, now it's just a cool song. I wish there was a reset button on my brain to make me feel mind-blowed again like the first times.
"Plastic Dracula" I hated on first listens, now it growth hugely on me, specially the funky part circa 0:55 (is it the chorus or the bridge of the song? lol).
I still hate the melody (the verses of the song) hahahaha
Sounds too Satch for me.
A thing in "Plastic Dracula" that intrigues me is how can Paul do that beginning on the guitar. Is it the volume knob of the guitar or is it the Detox EQ pedal?
I think is not the volume knob because Paul is a human, and he has not 3 arms as many of us LOL
I love "Count Juan" and "Batter Up" from the first time, but like Paul I would prefer Batter Up without the melody solos. I like those chords with reverb =D
"Fuzz Universe" is a metal song, but I am not a metal boy anymore, so I did not listen to it often.
"Mantra The Lawn" is fantastic, truly a masterpiece along "Blowtorch", but I still dislike the melody line like Plastic Dracula, though the rest of the song worth listen to it.

Past week, I resurrected Racer X albums on my cell phone, and listen to it at work. I like Getting Heavier so much, but Technical Difficulties is my favorite, as far as I am a Eddie Van Halen fan. Those two albums is like Iron Maiden meets Van Halen.

Thank you Paul for your music!
South America waits you.
If you don't want to come to Brazil, come to Buenos Aires, it's near to my city too. LOL

Time to rock!! \m/

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Although I don't at all feel qualified to write a full review, I would like to share a couple of points on the album from my perspective:

-One of the earlier reviews (from Nitefly I think) absolutely nailed one point: that it is hard to enjoy. I think there is a je ne sais quoi about it that makes it dry and relatively easy to get bored of.The bass in particular seems to be too tame for my liking.
Also, the fact that it requires effort to listen to means I don't go back to it often.

-However, I think it's a great effort and there are some good new ideas from paul that really brought him out of his usual sphere of guitar playing. I just find myself thinking it would have been a great instrumental album, had it not been done by Paul Gilbert, in a way. Because, simply put, it seems that I have certain expectations when it comes to Paul, and when he doesn't meet them (i.e shreddy/heavy/accessible or whatever), no matter how good the music is in itself, I wind up disappointed.

I guess i'm trying to rationalize why I don't like this album, but all in all I respect it for what it is.

But hey, that's just what I think! After all, i'm one of the few who loved Chinese Democracy! :mrgreen:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:02 pm
Queen Dork of the board

I wonder how much of this disappointment is due to genre overexposure / listener fatigue? If you listen to instrumentals day in, day out, if your fave player is Satch or Vai or Gilbert or Becker or Malmsteen... if you have been listening to the genre for 15 years and don't have a lot of other genres that grab your interest - is it more likely you will be disappointed by Fuzz Universe?

I wonder, because I really like Fuzz Universe! I listen to very little music at all nowadays, but had a very long & immersive period where I listened to classical, classic rock, pop/rock, hair metal, shred, and finally extreme death & blackmetal. I did a lot of overlistening and had a lot of burnout. I became opinionated, critical / nitpicky, and difficult to please. Stopping listening to all music for years, brought back some of the joy, but I still don't sit down and listen to music unless I'm basically obligated to.

(* in a couple weeks, I'll be listening to a lot of PG... and I hope to be overjoyed and floored by the massive live sound from the new tunes, coupled with typical 'live audio' distortions.)

So I wonder if its because I have a fresh or unspoiled ear which allows me to enjoy this (or United States, or SFBADR, etc) so easily? Does the average disappointed fan have 5 PG albums and 10 years of PG/'shred' fandom under their belt?

It seems like people all in to 3 rough categories. The guys who prefer Racer X shred (usually younger people) seem to hate this. They say Paul is losing his edge. The guys who like original music and don't have a shred preerence seem to like this; they say Paul is improving by leaps and bounds with time, like a fine wine (usually older people - typical demograph/30-45). The hardened/old-school PG fans seem to be falling to either side of the debate, regardless of their age. It's a quandary...

I wonder what the root cause of the mixed reviews is. The album doesn't suck. The questions I asked myself on first listen were: Was it composed too quickly / does it seem rushed in an effort to fulfill a label obligation vs. a genuine effort? Does it sound like Mr. Big b-sides? Are PG solo fans disappointed because of Mr. Big's looming shadow? It's not SFBADR #2, right? (that album is awesome - Norwegian Cowbell remains one of my faves! - but Paul is known for variety!) I was so happily surprised to find, in my opinion, that it sounds quite genuine, not rushed, not hacked together, and not like castoffs from the Mr. Big brainstorm sessions at all. Paul is not phoning it in. There is some real fire and some screaming talent here. It has a very nice flow and sequence to it.

I can tell you why I like Fuzz Universe! The only part I dislike is the duck-quack disco intro riff on... I believe it's Mantra The Lawn. It's a Rotosphere pedal. I don't like that disco-ish sound at all. Rest of the album (and even that song), awesomeness.

What causes the dislike? Obviously each person has their own answer... I wonder what the root causes are.

And in good news, I got a hold of Scott Thomas! I hope he instructs me in the waiz of his PR. \m/

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:08 pm
Godzilla

Nah I wouldn't say it's that. I mean I was listening to Brand New, Motion City Soundtrack and Jimmy Eat World before I started listening to Fuzz Universe, so I came in fresh back to the genre.

I think, I don't know about you guys, it has to do more with the fact I was expecting some face melting rock and roll style stuff with a bit of laid back bluesy stuff thrown in. What we got was a very laid back chilled out album, with very little rock and roll feel. I think this shows by the fact everyone loved the title track, whereas they weren't so fond of the other stuff? I don't know. I just feel like the title track was a bit of a false advertising for the rest of the album.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:26 pm
Viking Kong

I like it, but I was expecting all the songs to be like Fuzz Universe.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:41 pm
Profile YIM
Superhero

When I think of paul as an artist, everything about him I love is perfectly represented by his you tube video for the upcoming tour:

"YEAaAAAHhhhhhh! this is Paul Gilbert! And I am coming to Europe to ROCK and ROLL with yoooooooou!!!! \m/ "

Accordingly, fuzz universe is just a massive contrast. It's hard to believe it's the same artist who is playing count juantufrifo.

I'm looking forward to hearing it live as that's when his instrumental music comes to life, but otherwise it's just too dry. For then same reasons I'm not massively fond of Paul's other instrumental albums. I don't even like passion and warfare.

Give me more of the songs 'fuzz universe' and 'bad horsie' please.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:54 pm
Motorman

Nitefly wrote:
When I think of paul as an artist, everything about him I love is perfectly represented by his you tube video for the upcoming tour:

"YEAaAAAHhhhhhh! this is Paul Gilbert! And I am coming to Europe to ROCK and ROLL with yoooooooou!!!! \m/ "

Accordingly, fuzz universe is just a massive contrast. It's hard to believe it's the same artist who is playing count juantufrifo.

I'm looking forward to hearing it live as that's when his instrumental music comes to life, but otherwise it's just too dry. For then same reasons I'm not massively fond of Paul's other instrumental albums. I don't even like passion and warfare.

Give me more of the songs 'fuzz universe' and 'bad horsie' please.

:lol:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:59 am
Dr. X

6 things I forgot to tell in my review about my musical taste:

I prefer Paul Gilbert vocal albums like Burning Organ or Spaceship
I never liked his instrumental albums that much, seems that something is missing
I love Satriani and Vai music
I beg Paul someday will back to play Laneys, Alligator Farm's tone is awesome
I never liked Fuzz Universe song that much, the ones that catched me were Screen Door and Blowtorch (My fav Racer X is Technical Difficulties)

Time to rock!! \m/

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Sorry if I somehow made this snowball into to some weird psychoanalysis of why people do or don't like fuzz universe!
All I know is it's not something for me right now but other people enjoy it. Simple as that. Doesn't stop me from having high expectations for the new Mr Big record! I loved next time around, so I hope it will be in that style :D

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:50 pm
Viking Kong

neb233 wrote:
I loved next time around, so I hope it will be in that style :D

That song was written back in their heyday...

I still have high hopes, though and can't wait!!!

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
Queen Dork of the board

The Fuzz Universe: Guitarists Edition has been pushed back to a release date of Nov. 24, 2010. If you pre-ordered, do not worry. :)

(Product link: http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3895074 )

(huge pet peeve of mine is when someone asks me to do something "asap" or "right now" and then they do not reciprocate. Irritated, I noticed the next thing easily...) Paul's label gives him insane & super-fast deadlines, but they have not released a single edition or album of his on time this year! That's not "treating someone how you want to be treated." I can understand a delay on 1 or 2 albums - sh*t happens - but on ~9 in a row for the same artist?! Hopefully Paul will be given a little more leeway in his deadlines in 2011. It looks like there is anywhere from 1 week to 1 month in "usual deadline over-runs". So hopefully he can have some extra time next year.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:59 pm
Search Button God!

Guitarist Edition?

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:17 am
Viking Kong

flying-dino wrote:
The Fuzz Universe: Guitarists Edition has been pushed back to a release date of Nov. 24, 2010. If you pre-ordered, do not worry. :)

(Product link: http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3895074 )

(huge pet peeve of mine is when someone asks me to do something "asap" or "right now" and then they do not reciprocate. Irritated, I noticed the next thing easily...) Paul's label gives him insane & super-fast deadlines, but they have not released a single edition or album of his on time this year! That's not "treating someone how you want to be treated." I can understand a delay on 1 or 2 albums - sh*t happens - but on ~9 in a row for the same artist?! Hopefully Paul will be given a little more leeway in his deadlines in 2011. It looks like there is anywhere from 1 week to 1 month in "usual deadline over-runs". So hopefully he can have some extra time next year.

Maybe it's Paul that keeps over running? :P

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:56 am
Profile YIM WWW
Superhero

Just a quick post to state how incredibly awesome the title track is.

Just... amazing. Best thing Paul has ever done IMO.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:23 am
Viking Kong

Nitefly wrote:
Best thing Paul has ever done IMO.

Aside from Lancelot Link, right?

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:40 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next