View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Mr. Big, New Album 
Search Button God!

Post Re: Mr. Big, New Album
Will this make the reading the discussion easier? => [CLICKIE]

(no edit sux)

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:34 am
Viking Kong

This thread has produced the better results than any other thread ever. :)

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:17 pm
Search Button God!

I'll add more... "features" once I get home. This isn't exactly a SFW project :)

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:38 pm
Viking Kong

hammer_away wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:
I was thinking the same as Acid these past few days.

Paul has been saying that his playing is going towards a bluesy or even jazzy direction, but sincerely, he is NOT good as that kind of a player. When do his bluesy licks sound good? When they're speed up over a heavy rock sound... Even for his solo career, I don't think it's getting better. I love GOOMY, I do not like SFBADR and I haven't listened to FU in a while (although I liked it more than the previous one).

Why is it that I keep going back to the old PG albums (with singing) and Racer X tunes? That's the Paul Gilbert I love and that's probably the PG most of you guys love. Sure, he can attempt to play some Moody Waters or Johnny Cash, but that won't make him go back to the 60's and be a real blues player like Eric Clapton, BB King or Johnny Winter.

Going on topic, this latest Mr Big release seems like that to me: Paul is just trying to write songs in another direction, and they just sound... meh. That being said, I'll still go and see him play live anytime he comes to Brazil, because he still is my favorite player... not for what he's doing now, but from what he did 10-15 years ago.

I can't believe the stuff I'm reading in here... its so stupid and sad.
Left this board months ago cuz I couldn't stand reading this kind of imbecile posts, but now I come back and its even worse.

Who the frigging FUCK are you to, not only speak about someone else's playing, but MAKING CRITICISMS about it, about HOW they should play, how they SHOULN'T play, and so on. WHAT THE FUCK DUDES... we are talking about Paul Gilbert, the guy has been playing PROFFESIONALLY, as a CAREER, for MORE than 20 years, thats even more than you guy's age. Still you think you can give him advices about his carreer?

Grow the fuck up and stop it.

I believe this little departure from the board was not long enough for you to calm down and watch your attitude.
I understand that our constant whining can get on people's nerves, so I try to keep it low on the frequency of my negative reviews on Mr. Big and new Paul solo album threads, so far, I've been doing pretty well since it's really taken about 15 pages of this thread before some serious negative reviewing popped out. The worst that had happened earlier if I remember correctly was me posting drunk, and maybe me writing a line somewhere to remind Paul if he ever read the thread that we really wanted Racer X. Not too invasive really.

However, unless we really are spaming the thread with "Mr. Big sucks" posts and I think right now we aren't, we have the right to voice our opinions on Paul's recent career decisions and playing, since this Mr. Big thread is strongly related to that... Paul being the only member of Racer X in Mr. Big, we being on a Racer X board, I can't believe I have to write down this information so specifically to justify our decision to use our right to freedom of speech. :| So it really is relevent in my opinion to discuss Paul's solo career in this Mr. Big thread, at least a little.
Now back to what you said, I don't believe anyone here really wrote down how Paul should or shouldn't play, but we (well anyway at least I) have just said we don't really like the sound of Paul's blues, and the sound of Mr. Big. I think Paul plays music to share it with other people... because he could just make music for himself only, but since I think he isn't doing that, it's actually a pretty good idea for us to give criticism, since we are his audience and Paul partially writes music to rock other people's socks off as well as writing for his own creative, artistic and listening pleasure.

So, there is no need to start fighting in this thread, since that would really ruin it. It's not the negative reviews here and there that ruin threads like these, it's the arguments that ensue when guys like you come out and start getting verbally agressive and tell us we do not have the right to voice our opinions.

And before finishing this post, I'd like to remind everyone that we who write that we don't like Paul's latest work aren't saying Paul may not do what he wants, so I hope this line I get shot in the face everytime someone says he doesn't like something about Paul's non Racer X stuff will disappear. We're only saying we don't like something and that we hope for something else to happen, we are not actually giving orders. And another one I hope I won't be reading too soon is the trendy "Man this board used to be the friendliest board ever and now all we have is a bunch of nasty shit stirrers". I don't believe it's true. There are still a lot of very cool dudes hanging around here and lots of laughs and good times going on. It's not because we say every now and then we'd really like that Racer X reunion to happen and that it's a bummer nothing came out of NAMM 2009 that this board has turned into a stupidity contest. This trick of saying the board used to be nice a friendly is a lame attempt at silencing people who think differently by making them feel bad.

Finally, and as usual when I start giving lessons like on this post, I'll remind any new readers that yes, I'm sorry I haven't always been nice and reasonable in the way I criticise, post or rant, and so all the stuff I've written above can be dismissed if you consider it's been written by the author of some of the stupidest posts hidden within the maze of this board, but I try to improve, and I regret a lot of the stuff I've written.

Reunite Racer X, amen.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:01 pm
Search Button God!

Well said :)

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 pm
Promises to use Search button

Good show!

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:26 pm
Viking Kong

Aside of a NAMM appearance two years ago, Racer X hasn't been a united entity since their last few tours in Japan (coinciding with the release of Getting Heavier). That was 2002-03. And if anything, the board has only grown stronger in the years since. I don't think this forum is in danger of withering away or dying if Racer X doesn't reunite and endeavor to complete a new album. We are very good at keeping tabs with each member's individual projects: whether it is Mars Volta, Judas Priest, or Mr. Big, this forum is tuned in. We are dedicated fans to four extremely talented musicians--Paul Gilbert, Scott Travis, Jeff Martin, and John Alderete--and it's not simply their association with one band that drives this fanaticism.

I am looking forward to Mr. Big's new album, simply because I think that this is the kind of music Paul Gilbert has wanted to write all along. Aside of his Racer X project, how much metal does Paul contribute to the music world? His solo career is dominated by pop music--always has been. It's almost been like a post-Mr. Big outlet for him. It's only fitting that he reunited with Mr. Big to continue writing hook-laden, catchy tunes that appeal not only to fans of rock and metal music, but to all guitar aficionados, and on a larger scale, all fans of pop/rock music. It's immensely successful, it was immensely successful in the '90s, and I think it's a positive transition for Gilbert's career.

I am like most of the fans at this forum: a Racer X nut. I would love a reunion of Racer X, but we've been waiting for the same news for nearly ten years. It's just not happening right now. And even if it would, we've been waiting for new Racer X material since 2003. Getting Heavier did not suppress the urge, in fact, it only exacerbated it; we're still waiting for a heavy metal follow-up to Superheroes. It's simply best to wait until the time is right. A premature release of a Racer X album would yield nothing but disappointment. We want the album very badly. But we also want it to be good. When the members are ready, and when the metal is coursing through their veins again, it will happen. It has to happen. Racer X means too much to Paul, Jeff, Scott, and John for it not to. But I want it to be done right--the way they feel is best.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:48 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Amen - my sentiments exactly and what I was trying to say pages ago.

I usually dont engage in internet-discussions because it's a waste of time, but I feel exactly the same: Paul gave us dozens of great(!) albums, including RX. But the majority of his work is hardrock-bluesy-pop-oriented. Reducing him to just one band and style does not serve his artistic ability right.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:35 am
Dr. X

I've yet to hear the new album, but now that i've read all this reaction i feel like i am going to enter the music with harsh and critical intent... And on the subject of Paul "losing it" just grow up guys, Fuzz Universe was great! (in my opinion) I think the reason people didn't like it so much was because the production wasn't up to standard with SFBADR.

And yes we all want Racer X back but i'd rather have fully cooked Racer X album when they are ready for it, than another half-baked one.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:52 pm
Viking Kong

After a lot of the comments, I don't feel like hearing the album now. Maybe I'll get it later once I forget the thread.

I should keep away from review-like threads when albums come out :lol:

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:11 pm
Superhero

But the album is freaking badass!

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I listen to it with a clear mind once I sort some things out in my personal life so I can give it a proper listen :wink:

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:35 pm
Dr. X

I don't remember if on the european release there's a special bonus track ? Am I wrong ?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:06 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

My japanese edition..

If you have not seen before...

:D

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:26 pm
Viking Kong

:shock:

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:50 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Did Chacha make it on to the thanks list? That would be awesome if she did!

You guys might complain about the album, but it just seems like 'haters'. It doesn't seem to be the sort of critique to be taken seriously, so I doubt the band is offended! :)

Here's a review that brings us back on track:

http://mojoradio.us/cd-review-mr-big-what-if/

~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:30 am
Motorman

Not posted for a while but the new cd is really really good - some serious shredding between BS and PG. And to think the whole thing was done in 2 weeks. Amazing! And PG has a really cool sound

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Dr. X

The thing that i love about the album is how much freedom they gave billy! This is the first time that he really goes nuts

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:53 am
is evil...Evil Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3njukmp ... re=related

Did you guys see this?

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:32 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Siggelump wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3njukmp2I8&feature=related

Did you guys see this?

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOgiZ_WB_Uc

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWyVPJHYrRo !

Paul and Billy demonstrating som stuff.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next