View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Paul Gilbert instructionals on YouTube 
Viking Kong

Post Re: Paul Gilbert instructionals on YouTube
Pao wrote:
I find it weird a little weird that Paul does nothing about them. I understand that some dudes upload Guitar World lessons and self-recorded materials or old school Racer X era clinics, but I randomly saw his latest SFBADR DVD fully uploaded (in HQ) in the related vids of some dude playing his PGM.

Maybe Paul has accepted the fact that somebody has more or less uploaded it somewhere so everyone might as well see it for free? Or he doesn't make that much money with the DVDs so he doesn't really care? (cause he probably earns the most with clinics and live shows) Or I think maybe it has something to do with the backing tracks being uploaded and made available for everyone because of the DVD malfunction? I thought a lot of people wanted the SFBADR DVD mainly because of those.

What do you guys think?

And before the "superfans" start, I'm just opening it for discussion. Play nice.

Last time Paul came to MI he seemed VERY anti youtube.

Sat May 08, 2010 4:04 am
Motorman

Sat May 08, 2010 4:43 am
Viking Kong

Well, even if we were going to use it for only our own benefits, he disallowed any usage of video recording. He doesn't like people putting footage of him online.

Sat May 08, 2010 5:08 am
Viking Kong

Well, even if we were going to use it for only our own benefits, he disallowed any usage of video recording. He doesn't like people putting footage of him online.

It's more of a creative control thing than anything.

Sat May 08, 2010 3:59 pm
Viking Kong

I've seen interviews where he says Youtube ruined his record selling career, and this made him more of a touring artist.

Anyway... let's face it: I don't think Paul sold many records before YT, and he really likes playing live, so.... I think that would be a plus (although it is NOT NICE knowing that people won't be buying your work anymore)

About bootlegs, I didn't know he was against it. I thought he liked it.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat May 08, 2010 4:39 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Not at all. He was very paranoid that I was filming him, even asking to look at my camera a couple times to make sure I wasn't.

Sat May 08, 2010 4:48 pm
Superhero

If I hadn't YouTube'd for Paul Gilbert, I wouldn't have stumbled across Spaceship One. Accordingly, I wouldn't have then gone out and bought all his solo releases on CD and the Spaceship Live DVD. I also wouldn't have bought my lovely Paul Gilbert hoodie that came with Tough Eskimo, and go and see him live 4 times.

I haven't bought his instructional material as it personally doesn't suit my interests. I have viewed a few of his instructional videos online - but I wouldn't have paid for them in the first place.

It's clear that his popularity has risen, but I can imagine it's incredibly frustrating if your bank account doesn't really reflect that. It's a problem faced by all non-mainstream artists. If he doesn't want people to film his shows, then there is nothing wrong with that, and I'm pretty sure Paul must appreciate what youtube has done for his public profile.

Sat May 08, 2010 5:03 pm
Motorman

I've seen interviews where he says Youtube ruined his record selling career, and this made him more of a touring artist.

Really? Do you have a link to any of them? (Not doubting you, I'd just like to read what he said about it.)

Sat May 08, 2010 5:43 pm
Motorman

Not at all. He was very paranoid that I was filming him, even asking to look at my camera a couple times to make sure I wasn't.

Several times? That almost seems borderline... craziness sort of thing. :(

Sat May 08, 2010 5:45 pm
Viking Kong

I just read a few lines of this thread. (didn't read thoroughly so be nice if I say something inaccurate please :D )

But if Paul asks a whole bunch of times to see your camera it's not cool =/. It doesn't build a friendly environnement, it's probably disappointing for fans who were exited to see him but instead got some suspicious Paul searching people for recording cameras.

Plus, I believe that musically Youtube is the biggest factor when I decide whether or not I'm going to buy something. Before I buy a cd, I look for it on youtube, then I go buy it. What happens when I don't find it on youtube? I don't risk buying it unless it's praised by all metal fans around the world as a timeless masterpiece (which is why I blindlessly bought Master Of Puppets, or Moving Pictures). One time I wanted to check out some Dream Theatre to see if there was anything worth buying, but it seemed they are very careful to keep their songs off youtube, so I simply gave up searching for their music even though there was that song called "Under A Glass Moon" that I seemed to like. I don't wanna be looking all over the internet from New Caledonia with a shitty connection, and most people are really lazy to go hunting on google like me, Youtube is our favorite source of music before we buy. Paul shouldn't complain about youtube. I think it's actually good for his career... and if he meant that youtube made him look like a touring artist instead of a cd recording artist, I still disagree because I believe people do listen to some guy's CD if they like his playing live.

Last time I discovered some dude because of his live playing, it was Tommy Emmanuel introduced by hammer_away, and I did check out his cds afterwards... I think I'm not the only one behaving this way so Paul shouldn't be so worried.

I don't know why Paul doesn't want videos on youtube... is it because he's afraid he doesn't look at his best during those clinics? I would be sad to hear that because Paul is definitely one of the most accurate, and always in control of the instrument dudes out there, no matter the situation, and when he thinks he is not doing his best, he is probably doing better than a lot of guitarists out there who have thoroughly rehearsed their chops.
Or maybe Paul doesn't want the videos on youtube because he thinks they ruins his career... I would disagree if he felt that way. He is a really big guitarist... he's not Van Halen (even people who have never listened to rock know of Van Halen), but he is still really huge for a guitar hero, I don't see how much bigger he expects his career to become unless he goes mainstream, raps with Rihanna, fucks a sheep live on t.v., and starts taking tap dancing lessons. I don't see him get any more famous than he is as a guitar hero...

He's as famous as a guitar hero can get.

From my point of view anyway.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sat May 08, 2010 6:55 pm
God Of The Sun

Refried Bean wrote:

Several times? That almost seems borderline... craziness sort of thing. :(

He was afraid the magic box was going to steal his soul & guitar abilities.

Sat May 08, 2010 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

So, did you get to film him or what? :lol:

anyways, Parlance, I don't remember where I read that, but I'm sure I've seen it in more than just one interview.

Unfortunately I'm not organized when it comes to interviews I read online...

Sat May 08, 2010 7:04 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

Would you pay $350 for a lesson you could watch on youtube?

Exactly. Thats why he doesnt want video camers.

Sat May 08, 2010 10:46 pm
God Of The Sun

I hear what you are saying, but having been on both sides of this (watching on YouTube & in person) I can honestly say that, for me, nothing will ever take the place of actually sitting 2 1/2 feet away & conversing with God himself.

Sun May 09, 2010 2:23 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

rossalex wrote:

I hear what you are saying, but having been on both sides of this (watching on YouTube & in person) I can honestly say that, for me, nothing will ever take the place of actually sitting 2 1/2 feet away & conversing with God himself.

believe me, if Paul would ever come to florida, i'd be first in line for the VIP lesson.

Sun May 09, 2010 2:49 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Go49rs110 wrote:
rossalex wrote:

believe me, if Paul would ever come to florida, i'd be first in line for the VIP lesson.

I'm pretty sure that holds true for most of the dudes on the board. I guess the "leechers" are the ones who aren't big fans. I honestly would shell out as much $$$ as I can if Paul had material here or yeah like you said, if he came here. But meh that's kind of impossible :lol:

Sun May 09, 2010 2:53 am
Viking Kong

Indeed, this forum isn't good as a basis to develop theories.

I'd sell everything I own if I had the opportunity to see Racer X play live somewhere.

Sun May 09, 2010 11:39 am
Profile YIM
Unt! I move topics!

Post Re: Paul Gilbert instructionals on YouTube
Refried Bean wrote:
Last time Paul came to MI he seemed VERY anti youtube.

This surprises me. When he gave me all his old VHS tapes (mostly electric fence and Mr. Big), he specifically asked me if I would put some of it up on youtube (which I did).

Maybe he has changed his mind. Or maybe he makes a distinction between old stuff and new material.

I also have a different recollection than Sir Robin about what Paul has said in interviews about youtube. Although I certainly don't read every interview Paul gives, I seem to recall him saying youtube has been beneficial to his career in at least one past interview.

Sun May 09, 2010 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Yes indeed. He also mentions that he used youtube for gary moore lessons a few times so i think he also benefits from youtube.

Sun May 09, 2010 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

i don't think paul would be as popular as he is now without youtube.

1000% true. As far as I can tell, the Internet and YouTube have been Paul's lifeline in this second phase of his career. When looking for info on shredding online, all roads lead to Paul. Some side roads lead to MAB, Vai, etc but honestly, I believe Paul is the top internet shred guitar teacher. I never would have found Paul if not for YouTube. I never would have realized Paul's awesome personality and great teaching ability. I never would have discovered Racer X and bought their albums or Paul's instructional DVDs.

Quote:

If not for YouTube, I wouldn't even know about them!

For people like Paul, who are not getting major label, main stream media marketing, YouTube is invaluable. Yes, there is some piracy but I don't think it's comes close to outweighing the benefits.

Mon May 10, 2010 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next