View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Paul Gilbert instructionals on YouTube 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post Paul Gilbert instructionals on YouTube
I find it weird a little weird that Paul does nothing about them. I understand that some dudes upload Guitar World lessons and self-recorded materials or old school Racer X era clinics, but I randomly saw his latest SFBADR DVD fully uploaded (in HQ) in the related vids of some dude playing his PGM.

Maybe Paul has accepted the fact that somebody has more or less uploaded it somewhere so everyone might as well see it for free? Or he doesn't make that much money with the DVDs so he doesn't really care? (cause he probably earns the most with clinics and live shows) Or I think maybe it has something to do with the backing tracks being uploaded and made available for everyone because of the DVD malfunction? I thought a lot of people wanted the SFBADR DVD mainly because of those.

What do you guys think?

And before the "superfans" start, I'm just opening it for discussion. Play nice.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:28 pm
God Of The Sun

I maybe get's payed a fixed amount for the DVD and it's up to the label (Mascot) to take care of illegal uploads.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:51 pm
Tab Master

I dno why everyone shits their pants about it, YouTube is full of "free stuff" and no one complains when it's ripped and stolen from a guitar magazine about Paul. But if it's Paul's stuff, it's OMGWTFHOWDARETHEY, it's crazy.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:15 pm
Viking Kong

I think he mentions tabs and other useful stuff come with the DVD.
Since Paul does not play extremely slowly when he demonstrates his stuff throughout the video (he does slow down, but still plays fast enough for some stuff to be tricky to figure out... for me anyway), maybe these extra things can come in handy and people might want to buy the DVD for that reason, even though they've seen the entire thing on Youtube.

Believe it or not, I think it's a lot harder to find those "extras" on internet, because a lot less people care about having the tabs uploaded, they just wanna see the instructionnal... so finding the tabs on the internet could be a pain in the ass and people just figure they should just buy the damned product once and for all and get it out of the way.

Finally, I still think there are people like me out there who still like to buy CDs and DVDs and have the fancy CD cases, booklets, etc and be sure they're gonna get the right stuff out it, because when you download music and DVDs you never know what quality you're gonna get... When I download stuff to sample the goods, I often get bad sound quality, stuff so compressed you can hear weird sounds, pixels all over the video... I think there are enough good reasons to own CDs and DVDs "for real"

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:17 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I dno why everyone shits their pants about it, YouTube is full of "free stuff" and no one complains when it's ripped and stolen from a guitar magazine about Paul. But if it's Paul's stuff, it's OMGWTFHOWDARETHEY, it's crazy.

Why hello superfan. No, I didn't shit my pants. I merely created a thread cause no one did and it was a random thought.

And yes there are a ton of free stuff on YouTube. I'm not an internets noob. I don't want the topic of sharing other stuff to get here, but my main point was this DVD is NEW (in the sense that it's the latest). I don't really care about Intense Rock, Jesus, everyone has it.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:44 pm
Tab Master

Yes, but my point is that if anything else that was new that was of John Petrucci or Vai or Satch, it'd be "oh awesome, he's playing really well lately!" as opposed to "wtf this shouldn't be on youtube".

Pao, I'm not attacking you, and I agree that artists ARE losing money over people watching stuff on YouTube instead of buying it, but there is nothing you can do in this day and age anymore. The pop charts now even count downloads aswell as in store record sales because they know people just download stuff.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:36 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Yeah that's true. :? I mentioned Paul specifically cause I saw his new DVD on the related videos of a random dude playing his PGM. On a side note, I thought of making this thread cause I remember when I attended a Scott Henderson clinic, he said take videos but don't upload them on YouTube, they'll be down really fast cause he checks them all the time. I know Guthrie also does that. But I imagine Paul is "mainstream" in the guitar community so I bet it'd be impossible to do that, which is why I thought maybe only the new stuff shouldn't be uploaded? I dunno.

I do agree with you completely with the download stuff, though. I think I remember people hating on Vai cause he asked for his stuff to be taken down (EVEN the bootleg old school/rare stuff). Maybe a good suggestion is for Paul to have an official account and upload like only tidbits of his DVDs instead of random dudes uploading the whole thing. I mean, people like them (who call themselves fans) should be reminded that small artists are the losers in stuff like that. Pop artists still have world tours and are available to the public who don't use torrents (or don't know about them) and still have endorsements and music videos.

One dream of mine is to open an online music store in my country. Maybe make all stuff I wanted available for download (and I thought of something like you can buy cards in music stores or any other store that has music-related stuff, something like iTunes gift cards) so you can just plug them in online. I keep having this thought that someone's going to abuse them anyway, or like have only one person buy and 10-20 or hundreds of people will get.

Ahh, anyway. Okay rant over :lol:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:17 pm
Tab Master

I do too think that the people that upload full instructional videos should be ashamed of themselves. I mean, I do like to see previews of stuff before I buy, which is fine, and I do be sure to buy the stuff that I'm interested in. I have all material from Children Of Bodom, Sinergy, all Paul's DVDs & Racer X, for example, and it sucks to see so many fans just watching it online rightfully knowing they won't buy it because they don't need to anymore.

I can understand artists wanting their material removed, but c'mon, what harm do bootlegs cause...it's just rare, hard to find stuff that real fans love to see/hear, it's not like people watch clinics from 1985 instead of buying cds, the quality is uncomparable.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:57 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Yeah, which is probably why people got pissed at Vai. I'm okay with bootlegs, I mean, they're bootlegs.

For people like Guthrie, AFAIK (I'll let Levi verify) he's a perfectionist and he doesn't like it when something bad is uploaded. I remember someone on the board uploaded the YG video and it was badly out of sync and he had crappy tone as well. Guthrie asked for it to be taken down because people look at him as some sort of God or something to that extent (I'm not complaining lol) and finding a video of him sucking would be weird.

I don't know what Scott's intentions are, though. I think it has something to do with the clinics themselves, since what he teaches is something you have to be present to get, MAYBE if somebody uploads all his teachings, nobody would attend his clinics anymore. Or something like that, I don't really know.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:08 pm
Tab Master

I think if that thing with Guthrie is true, it's kind egotastical of him...I mean, we all have our good days and bad days...to hide any mistake is kinda saying "oh hi i never make mistakes haha" and well, that's kinda ghey. He's damn good, but no point hiding all that!

I think I heard someone say that Vai retunes all the bad notes for live DVDs too...at least with Live Extreme, it IS all perfect. 8)

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:39 pm
Superhero

I agree, though. Although I don't think there's much to be done about it, as there's a trade-off between lost sales and sales gained from someone watching the video. I mean lets be honest, many of us here on the board got associated with paul through youtube. So, in that sense, he's made a ton of money off of me, even though the IR videos probably shouldn't have been uploaded.

So I see both sides of the argument. I think it's up to the artist to let people upload these things or not. I could argue either way I think.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:52 pm
Viking Kong

I
I think I heard someone say that Vai retunes all the bad notes for live DVDs too...a

I wouldn't doubt that. I was watchin Live at Astoria the other day, and I don't think he plays a wrong note at all.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:12 am
Profile YIM
Search Button God!

MDuCran wrote:
I
I think I heard someone say that Vai retunes all the bad notes for live DVDs too...a

I wouldn't doubt that. I was watchin Live at Astoria the other day, and I don't think he plays a wrong note at all.

Vai plays weird music so even if he does fuck up noone will notice ;)

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:46 am
God Of The Sun

it's kind egotastical of him

i think thats SHIT. He is an improvising musician, and part of improvising is the chance involved, you WILL have good nights, and you WILL have bad nights.

Its not a sign of ego, quite the opposite, Guthrie really doesnt rate his playing, alot of it hes ashamed of, and doesnt want the world to see, and he is entitled to act on that.

you wouldnt upload a video of yourself that you were not happy with

I think the SFBADR dvd being on youtube isnt a big deal because the dvd sucks? :wink:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

I think the SFBADR dvd being on youtube isnt a big deal because the dvd sucks? :wink:

quoted for truth.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:53 am
Dr. X

i don't think paul would be as popular as he is now without youtube. i obviously don't have hard numbers, but i'd be willing to bet that his popularity grew as more stuff of him went up on youtube, translating to cd/dvd/merch/concert sales.

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1989 Fender Strat w/ Area '61 MIA
1987 Ibanez RG550

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:19 am
God Of The Sun

Yeah, which is probably why people got pissed at Vai. I'm okay with bootlegs, I mean, they're bootlegs.

For people like Guthrie, AFAIK (I'll let Levi verify) he's a perfectionist and he doesn't like it when something bad is uploaded. I remember someone on the board uploaded the YG video and it was badly out of sync and he had crappy tone as well. Guthrie asked for it to be taken down because people look at him as some sort of God or something to that extent (I'm not complaining lol) and finding a video of him sucking would be weird.

I don't know what Scott's intentions are, though. I think it has something to do with the clinics themselves, since what he teaches is something you have to be present to get, MAYBE if somebody uploads all his teachings, nobody would attend his clinics anymore. Or something like that, I don't really know.

Thats bull, dude. Those videos sounded auful... imagine if some random guy never heard guthrie and happened to see those links, being the first time he ever heard guthrie... thats not a nice first impression at all... I hate it when I play something bad, and I know I did, and still people say ohh its good, or oohh nevermind. Every artist has its right to decide what the hell he wants people to see or not to see

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Thats bull, dude. Those videos sounded auful... imagine if some random guy never heard guthrie and happened to see those links, being the first time he ever heard guthrie... thats not a nice first impression at all... I hate it when I play something bad, and I know I did, and still people say ohh its good, or oohh nevermind. Every artist has its right to decide what the hell he wants people to see or not to see

What's bull? I said it as it is. Guthrie didn't like the videos, he asked them to be taken down. What, the God thing?

PGA1000 Dude wrote:
I think Guthrie is absolutely right to ask to remove clips that show him in the wrong light. Guitar fans are super nit picky and if they see anything else than perfection from Guthrie, his reputation could be ruined.
[url=http://racerx.edutom.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=18698&start=0]From this thread.
[/url]

I'm not the only one who thinks so.

At no point did I complain about Guthrie removing the videos. I merely used him as an example of a guitar player who asked for his videos to be removed, in contrast to Paul who keeps everything, regardless of whether it sucks or not. I also mentioned Scott, how come you didn't bait that?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:33 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

MissMisstreater wrote:

quoted for truth.

True that. Honestly, I think most of what Paul's putting out after IR1 (yes, after his FIRST instructional video) is repetitive. I mean, I guess it's cool he teaches his other "licks" but IR1 practically had everything you need to play like Paul.

I suppose the new DVDs are specifically for those albums (and for new material, I guess. The last DVD had a different version of Technical Difficulties, which was sweet!). But in no way are they gonna compare to the amount of stuff you'll learn from IR1.

Also, with our tab master MDuCran, we don't need a DVD to ask Paul to show us what's happening. (These are home made, no way are they a form of attacking Paul. Self-made backing tracks are also great. I don't think these need to be taken down *coughvaicough*) DVD's for fretboard positions maybe? Nah, we have enough live bootleg videos.

Anyway, the point of this thread was to ask what you guys think about Pauls not taking down SOME stuff. I agree that a lot of people found out about him on YouTube, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they can just upload EVERYTHING.

Bunny trick from IR1 = cool
Technical Difficulties section of the last DVD = cool
The whole SFBADR DVD in multiple parts with 10,000 views each = NOT cool

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:44 am
Motorman

Personally, I discovered Paul via Youtube, and even though I saw a lot of his stuff on it for free before I purchased anything, I bought all his instructional videos and most of his albums anyway.

Most of the people who watch the Youtube versions of the videos and never buy anything were probably never going to buy anything anyway, Youtube or not.

I think everybody on this board is a dedicated fan I think most people know that independent artists like Paul rely on their dedicated fans to be the ones to be honest when it comes to that kind of thing.

Am I as hardcore Jenn; to deliberately avoid watching uploaded videos from guitar mags and stuff like that? No, but I'll tell ya right now that any and every single thing Paul puts out is pre-ordered. I even bought the SFBADR rhino t-shirt. :twisted:

Sat May 08, 2010 3:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next