View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Paul Gilbert at NAMM 2010 
Viking Kong

you'd realize that the correct song title is Highway Chile - not Highway Child. Sucker.

No it ain't!
Ah, I knew it was either a joke, or the song's real name. I won't admit it though.
No it ain't!

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Cool vid. Had to skip on going to the Uli Jon show.

From the signing:

All four were super nice, although I couldn't get any news out of Paul. I found it elsewhere! This is the other thing I've been dying to get signed (EXACTLY one year in waiting):

Sorry about the crappy pictures.. it's 7:27 am and I really should be sleeping. I also have on bad picture of Paul at the signing on my camera.. don't think it's worth uploading though.

offtopic.. other high lights that were near by

i hate you

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:27 pm
God Of The Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cclSEhOii-M

Muehehehe there is me and eric... mueheheheh

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Pao, I still love you though!

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Queen Dork of the board

Here are a few photos from the NAMM Jam by LadyWoreBlack:

The insane solo:

The musical dialog with Uli:

'Deadly Fast!'

&

Paul also updated his News page today.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:03 am
God Of The Sun

My pictures are WAY better... gonna upoload them when I can

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Queen Dork of the board

We would love to see your photos, hammer_away. Please post them when you can.

Here is another camera angle from that song. Highway Chile. This one's the nicest I've seen - it's front row (but not "up the nose"), stable, nice picture quality, good audio, and well over 7 minutes length. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU7L4DrVBQ4

It looks like TheSurgeon is correct... Highway Child is apparently a Bob Seger / Rolling Stones song. My brother has the actual Hendrix vinyl album. I was going to ask him to send a picture of the songtitles, but did 2 minutes of better research online instead.

So, please edit my post to reflect the correct song title, TheSurgeon. I would edit it, but that's a no-no now, so, I hate to impose... it's a quick 10 second thing. I'd appreciate it. :)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:23 pm
Dr. X

I will never get over how fugly Ulis guitar is... :lol:
duuuude... I know it's his trademark, but what da hell was wrong with the guy who built that damn thing?! :shock:

great vid anyway!!

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:40 pm
Viking Kong

I will never get over how fugly Ulis guitar is... :lol:
duuuude... I know it's his trademark, but what da hell was wrong with the guy who built that damn thing?! :shock:

That is his Sky Guitar. He had several of them built and there is a purpose to it besides the unique look. Depending on which one that is that Uli is using in that picture, it either has 36 frets or 42 frets (and I don’t feel like counting the frets in the pic to find out for sure), all scalloped. One of the purposes to the weird design is so he can access those extra frets (one of his sky guitars has a custom made 4 coil humbucker hidden underneath the 24th fret). It looks like the one he is using is a seven string, which means he is using either the one he named “Mighty Wing” or “Destiny”.

Regarding who built them...I don't know. All I know is that he contracted some special birtish luthier to build them for him but I don't know his name.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:40 pm
Dr. X

yeah, and if it had a 100 frets it would still be fugly. :lol:

despite the fact, nobody wants to hear a guitar even another octave higher, I highly doubt there's people large enough to reach fret one on this guitar, with fingers that tiny, they fit on fret 42. maybe he just should have learnt piano instead.

don't get me wrong, since I never really heard a lot of U.J.R. I'm not about to discredit him at all, it's just that this piece of every-trees-nightmare, belongs into the same box for me as M.A.B.s 4 neck guitars. the box of showoff-gimicks nobody really needs but which make the laymens jaws drop.

and it's just a handicap for me, who likes to look at what guitarists fingers do.
I really want to, but I can't on this one... :lol:

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:06 pm
Viking Kong

I must say I wonder what the hell he does with 42 frets. He's got an extra 1 and 1/2 octave, and I've rarely come accross a piece of guitar music that requires that... and on the rare occasions where someone actually needs to play such high notes, there are pedals that can do the job. The frets must be tiny too.

I got another idea, he could perhaps tune down one octave and play the mightiest death metal in the history of the universe. His strings will be under so little tension that he'll also be able to do the whackiest bends in the history of the universe. Uli should definitely consider playing death metal.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 pm
Viking Kong

I've just checked out Beyond The Astral Skys on Youtube... and I must say I'm not an Uli fan at all. I've also checked out Sky Overture (live) (I couldn't find a studio version, and I suspect there isn't), and didn't like it. Although some segments were really nice, I feel Uli's shred doesn't come out as clean and smooth as other shredders out there (Paul, Satch...) perhaps he could use more distortion because his tone sounded like he didn't have a lot of it. As I suspected, those really high notes just get too high and it's not really enjoyable exept perhaps to bats.

Since we have a Scorpions thead in music mall and we're discussing Uli... I must say I prefer Michael and Rudolph Schenker... I'm in love with the song Coast To Coast by Scorpions, and I think it was Michael Schenker who composed it. Bad Boys Running Wild is another great Scorpions song but this time I think it was Rudolph Schenker who took part in composing it... since his brother was fired after Lovedrive.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2