View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 NAMM VIP Lessons 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

guitartech from Twitter is going on the 17th. I don't know if that person is a member here or not. Their location says Los Angeles. Should I invite him/her over here?

Why not?

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:02 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

flying-dino wrote:
Aaw, don't be jealous, NicolaiF!

Paul had VIP sessions there in Oslo in 2008, at Smuget. You Norwegians got some of the first ever VIP's. It is you who are equally lucky. :)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

But that VIP was before i was a hardocre PG fan :P
And i discovered the concert/VIP one month too late...
Come back to Norway PAUL !!!!!

Yeah and only 2 of us turned up to the Oslo VIP last year (not that I'm complaining!)- you might have to do some more grovelling me thinks...

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:19 am
Queen Dork of the board

The PayPal clicky e-mails went out... (well, the first round did at least)
I have a definite reservation now: Monday at 5 pm. *excited*
That's perfect.
I'll have to borrow a credit card to do the PayPal thing / etc., but... finally! Time to start looking seriously in to flights, hotels, etc.
:)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:56 pm
Viking Kong

are you gonna take guitar lessons or what? :roll:

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:36 pm
Profile YIM
Queen Dork of the board

I'm still waiting for some catastrophe to screw this up -- like the aborted jury duty thing for the Guitar Center sessions. (still mad about that)
I'm trying to not get my hopes up too far.

If by some planetary-aligning miracle I do make it out there, I'm sure I'll have at least one pre-session crash course "guitar lesson".
Which will make two guitar lessons in my whole life (after VIP, three).

Really, I want to play Scarified backwards. But Smoke On The Water forewards, at speed and accurate with confidence, is far more then just good enough! :)
(edit: in case that didn't come across as humor too well, the thing about Scarified backwards is a joke because it's impossibly challenging.)

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:45 pm
Godzilla

Dino, the World knows your skills as a wild shredder so be gentle and don´t cause a complex in Paul :D

By the way, it´s great news that you can have that experience. :)

Last edited by FER on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:43 am
Godzilla

Well, my friend who is offering to send me got a confirmation and payment information for the 17th at 1pm.. I'm still undecided.. :(

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:49 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Last edited by flying-dino on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:27 pm
Godzilla

Dang... people like NicolaiF would kill to be in your situation, GTRMAN. You should probably go, esp. if she actually pays the invoice for you.
I know at least one person in that session and he'll ask great technical questions.

&

Me, wild shredder?
LOL. Have you seen my latest album "birdsongs are prettier then this" and the album before that "dogs howl mournfully to this"?
With such high expectations, I'm not sure I'll be able to perform up to everyone's standards! ;)
I'm really hoping to be able to get out there.
I bought this Instant Yngwie Potion on eBay... (it smells vaguely like doughnuts, should I bring it?)

The way I see it is this: I consider myself painfully sub-mediocre. I also feel like I've "hit the wall" with my playing. I'm sure Paul could teach me some licks, but I'd want more than that out of it and I doubt that would happen in a group lesson. Ergo, I'm afraid I would be wasting other peoples' time and money.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:40 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Another thing to remember is focus. This is only 75 minutes of your entire life. It's an intense hour-fifteen, but focus should stay sharp and on-topic. There is ample time afterwards for silliness.

Regardless of silliness, it's an experience like no other.

And I've sat backstage in on Kerry King's informal/impromptu guitar lessons and not felt out of place... I was surrounded by Kerry and 4 longhaired guys. They were all around me at about 2' distance. It was great... I didn't have to say anything, all I did was stand there and watch.

I can think of a few suggestions for overcoming playing barriers:
1) try composing in a different genre, especially one you think you hate.
2) just play cover tunes for a bit.
3) try composing on a different instrument.
4) instead of working on overall stuff, focus on one specific thing. Like the left hand, or the right hand, or new whammy techniques, work on harmonics, etc.

I got all of those suggestions from paying attention to Paul, so, none of them are originally from me, they are actually all kindasorta from Paul.

~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~

Last edited by flying-dino on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:03 pm
Godzilla

I guess, first, it depends on being realistic about the sessions. With 75 minutes, there's either going to be 3 jams, or 2 jams and more questions or opportunities per student. It was working out that Paul was teaching something new every 1.5 to 2 minutes in the 60 minute lessons. That is a LOT of teaching!

I had the same, exact fear. I thought... My guitar playing skills are laughable, by anyone's standards. What am I doing here? Talk about a waste of space... That made me feel bad... it was a damaging, painful, counter-productive thought.

And then I realized this: Because I've done a lot of research in to both Paul's techniques and what Paul's students / fans / acolytes / whatever, seem to want to glean from what he teaches, I figured that the best approach to the lesson was this. I would go and I would not touch a guitar. I would keep my ears and my mind open, and most importantly, my tape recorder running! I would only ask technical, guitar-oriented questions, about techniques, phrases, etc. that could help everyone -- including me (rank beginner). And most of all I would realize that everyone has equal time and is on equal footing at the lesson. That way, nobody's paid time or money is wasted.

I have told a bunch of people this, and now I tell all of you this. Response has been very positive.

It's all about perspective, really. It basically breaks down like this: do you want to go because you want to learn? Can you have an open mind about the lesson - you think you somehow cannot benefit, but maybe you will, somehow? If this experience is going to even be partially cost-defrayed by your friend (Laura?) you should really give it a shot. You never know what the other students may ask... and I have no idea what he's planning on showing to us, new phrases wise. Any, or all, of this, can be of tremendous benefit. Even if you think Paul can only clean up a couple areas of your technique, given the time frame, it may help you a lot, esteem wise and also playing wise, in the future.

Seriously, if you guys want me to play guitar, I'll do that but not during the lesson! Jokes are saved for afterwards (or beforehand)!

~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~

Interesting perspective and it definitely merits consideration...

Laura? OH!! I haven't spoken to her in quite a while..

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:26 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Another thing to think about is this... especially if you're not an expert.

There is a gigantic mountain of thousands upon thousands of items of musical treasure in front of you. The allure of this is impossible to escape, as music is a universal that speaks to everyone. Each time you learn a note, or a technique, or a song, or something... you get that little bit of musical treasure to add to your hoard. After some time, you end up with this huge mountain of musical treasures you have learned and integrated, underneath you, that you can guard jealously...

and at some point, you realize you have so much, that it's a chore to keep guarding it selfishly, so you can begin to give some away. It is then that you have musically come full-circle. :)

Even if you think you suck, Paul has some musical treasures to give away, or maybe barter (because we're trading him $300 for them), that you may choose to keep, learn & guard, integrate... he's not going to condescend to you and he's not going to crush you. Just keep an open mind about the session and I am sure you'll pick something up. (I don't mean a lesson cold either!) Nobody is immune to learning, if their mind is open and receptive.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:54 pm
Racer X - Current Member

The VIP Lessons around the NAMM show have sold out, and there are a number of people on the waiting list, so I decided to add an additional date.

The new date is Friday, January 15th.

For details please check my website:
http://www.paulgilbert.com/VipLessons.html

THANK YOU to everyone who will be coming. We're going to make some great guitar discoveries.

And check out this insane shredding at 1:54 and on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxzY3tFTz9k

ROCK!

Paul

Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:48 am
Motorman

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:01 am
God Of The Sun

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:38 am
Viking Kong

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:12 am
Profile YIM
Godzilla

Does anyone know what you have to do to bring a guitar on a plane? Do you have to check it? Can you carry it on? Will it be safe!?!??!

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:04 pm
God Of The Sun

Can't wait for the 17th. I actually ge tto go to NAMM again this year (2010).

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Wait, Paul. Does this mean you're not going to the NAMM? :(

Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

If you check Paul's site, he says that he'll "see you at NAMM or at the V.I.P. lessons".

Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next