View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 NEW? Pg Interview 
Superhero

Post Re: NEW? Pg Interview
Quote:
Could you tell me about what you brought into the songwriting process for 'What If...'?

I would say the ones that I had the most to do with... Again, most of the material we had beforehand we owe to Billy and Pat, but some of the riffs on "Undertow" I had beforehand, and "As Far As I Can See" was a riff I was messing around with beforehand. Actually, "I Get The Feeling" is the one that was mostly mine. I demoed that myself and brought it in.

There you have it :P

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Queen Dork of the board

Brand new today:

http://www.guitar.com/articles/10-quest ... ul-gilbert

10 Questions with Paul Gilbert
(that we've seen before)

What's nice is that the answers have some new detail. :)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:16 am
Viking Kong

Thanks Dino.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:18 am
Profile YIM
Queen Dork of the board

@Sir Robin: You're welcome. No problem!

I've been ill for 5 days now... this sucks.
It sucked so much that I had to put all of my e-biz on hold yesterday! (it's really weird, thinking of taking sick days when you're your own boss...)
Sorry for not info-hunting. I have to rest.
Maybe Friday or something I'll be able to come back... because I see my doctor on Wednesday. (the waiting is the hardest part...)

I can't publish "mine" (the one for "retirement") because at least a couple of people have been passing around PDF cracker software, and it's the disrespectful IDEA of that I don't like... so it's not getting published. Maybe someday.

Here's a new int. with Paul, from Maximum Ink:
http://www.maximumink.com/index.php/art ... nk/mr._big

He's honest, wacky, and funny, as usual. :)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 am
Queen Dork of the board

Another new interview has cropped up.

On the glamorous life of being a touring professional entertainer:
"What’s it like playing with your life partner in the studio and onstage?"
"It’s nice because she can see how much discomfort I go through in order to have those glorious two hours onstage!"

Read more at The Examiner...
http://www.examiner.com/music-q-a-in-na ... art-1-of-2

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:20 pm
Superhero

Quote:
I can’t really predict how easy any album will be. Fuzz Universe, my last instrumental record, was very difficult for me, but I liked the result. But I hope I don’t always have to put myself through so much humiliation and self-doubt!

I wonder what he meant.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:53 am
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

_NowakP wrote:
Quote:
I can’t really predict how easy any album will be. Fuzz Universe, my last instrumental record, was very difficult for me, but I liked the result. But I hope I don’t always have to put myself through so much humiliation and self-doubt!

I wonder what he meant.

'Everyone told me it's gonna be weak and it took a lot lof time to brainwash myself into thinking otherwise'

Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:59 am
Queen Dork of the board

Are you not artists? Do you not think "This work sucks. I think I did a bad job." or "I could do so much better if I had another week (or different colors, different material, etc)... this is so embarrassing." or "People are going to just laugh at this when they see it. I need to do better." Artists are ALWAYS their own worst critics, and they are VICIOUS with themselves. That inner critic is impossible to please all of the time... just like we cannot please everyone all of the time, we cannot please even our inner selves all of the time. It's the very basic & burning essence of a creative soul. That doubt... that self-criticism creates an incessant, never-ending drive for both self-improvement and perfection.
Perfection is the devil in the details!
As you get older, you'll find out there are 2 types of perfection: absolute and relative. Absolute... is unattainable. When you're young, this is the 'only kind', and you'll strive to meet it, until one day you realize... it doesn't exist. Relative: It's when it's good enough to let others finally see, and to give away (to your fans, to the buying public, whatever). It's a compromise between your inner critic and the outside world... that moment when you realize, you have to release your work.
Doesn't matter if you're a musician, a sculptor, a painter, a dancer, a writer, or a crafter or whatever... it's found in all creative types. It can be your best friend and your worst enemy.

I cannot speak for Paul. I don't know him.
It seems like he's just being inwardly self-critical, as all artists tend to do.
It's no big deal that he mentions it - he's a humble guy.
It just underscores the phenomenon that this affects all artists!

So tell us how you really feel about Fuzz Universe. LOL.

Here's Part 2 from The Examiner. Now we know how Leah Dizon ended up with the guitar lesson from Paul... and a variety of other fun things! Please do read it:

http://www.examiner.com/music-q-a-in-na ... art-2-of-2

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:35 am
Superhero

Quote:
What is the meaning of CDFF for the Mr. Big song “Lucky This Time”?

“Compact Disc Fast Forward.” There’s a sound effect at the beginning of the song, and that’s what it is.

Haha, I didn't know that!

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3