View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bruce 

Back in the day who was more technically advanced?
Bruce 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Paul 93%  93%  [ 56 ]
Total votes : 60

Bruce 
Dr. X

Post Bruce
I full expect to get my ass kicked for saying this but I'll say it anyway...thought i must mention that Paul is probaly my biggest influence on guitar and in my opinion one of the best out there, however back in the day (the 80s) dose anyone agree with me that Bruce was more technically advanced than Paul and that his licks was more tasteful? Im just curiose to know, so I've set up a poll just to see what people think

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:43 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Hahaha.. I think there was a thread here that mentioned that Bruce was having a hard time learning the Racer X songs, while Paul Gilbert was playing everything with ease. :) Well, we all know that Paul Gilbert is Bruce's teacher (Thanks metal liberty. :lol: Didn't see that one), and I'm pretty sure the only explanation to this is..

Bruce likes playing other stuff too, besides shred.

Everyone notice that Paul Gilbert likes picking everything 6 notes per beat, three notes per string, than playing string skipped arpeggios? I dunno, I think he just likes it better that way. But Bruce has different taste on solos.

But as Paul got older, he stopped playing by the metronome, and played by heart. By putting emotion to the songs (listen to his long speech on Intense Rock II, and you'll understand) And yeah, Paul Gilbert admitted that by doing it this way, he became slower, but it's more applicable to a band, rather than playing just ratatatatatat notes on a certain key.

It went overboard tho, coz he was going too poppy, and yeah he stopped doing insane guitar shred when he went solo, then when someone sent him a nasty e-mail, he probably went like "What? Are you calling me slow??" *wham bam* he fed that guy Technical Difficulties and the rest is history :P

/rant mode off

Last edited by Pao on Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:17 am
God Of The Sun

Well, we all know that Bruce is Paul Gilbert's teacher, and I'm pretty sure the only explanation to this is..

I think you messed that up a bit. :lol:

Anyway, I rather like Paul's poppy stuff. It's catchy, fun to listen to, and makes all his other stuff feel much heavier. :wink:

The #1 Queensryche Source

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:38 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

paoVSgodzilla wrote:
Well, we all know that Bruce is Paul Gilbert's teacher, and I'm pretty sure the only explanation to this is..

I think you messed that up a bit. :lol:

Anyway, I rather like Paul's poppy stuff. It's catchy, fun to listen to, and makes all his other stuff feel much heavier. :wink:

Whoops. Edited my post already :P I'm not saying I don't like his poppy stuff. I love his songs:) Really. But for people who want to hear his super technical destroy the world songs, they should listen to Racer X. :)

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:57 pm
Motorman

I like Bruce's playing alot. And I think his unaccompanied solo on Live Extreme volume stole the whole show :D

I think his playing sounds really smooth and flows really well. His Hendrix blues impro is pretty damn cool too.

I think Racer X were by far the best when both Bruce and Paul were in.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:26 pm
Unt! I move topics!

I've said many times that on the Extreme Volume I CD I like Bruce's solo much more than Paul's. But does that mean Bruce is more advanced technically? Nope. Paul has the edge there.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Post ..
I like Bruce a lot, i miss him in new Racer X, my wish would be that he would join back, it would make me feel like i won the lottery.
But i really think that Paul has better technique. You can judge creativity, who has better solo, that is really subjective question of personal taste.
As far as technique is considered, i give my vote to Paul well... he is technically more skilled,

I'd like to hear what is Bruce doing these days, any of his recordings done lately (beside Queen tribute with LaBrie).

Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:08 pm
Motorman

I respect Bruce's decision to not play shred anymore... And I know his hand is messed up. Still it's dissapointing to not be able to see him play with the guys again. I'd love to hear Scarified played the way it's supposed to be played again.... Just for one live performance that they could release on dvd. Bruce could stand to make money off of it and I'm sure he's able to play at least one show.

That would be the ultimate.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:01 pm
Dr. X

Last edited by x-epiphone-x on Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:19 am
Dr. X

I'd give away all of my money plus life savings plus guitars plus everything to see Bruce play in Racer X again. :(

But, to answer the poll, Paul wins in as far as technical ability goes. But Bruce is pwnage too.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:45 pm
Godzilla

I thought Paul was a faster and cleaner picker with more attack, but bruce was much better at sweeping.

Other than that all I can say is I think Paul has better phrasing.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:19 am
Godzilla

I think paul is much better.... I like A LOT more paul´s solos on the recordings... Live I think Paul mixes the technique with cool melodic solos a lot better... And after I heard that 87 Racer X guitar solo (Paul) from the tracks that were on his site...Man that´s the most technical thing I´ve heard Paul do EVER...So clean... SO FASTTT :shock: FRENZY LIVE!!!! awesome.. I don´t think Bruce is better at sweeping(not saying he´s worse) just that Bruce did it more than Paul used to... Maybe Paul just doesn´t like sweeping too much... I think technically they´re very close... I just think that Paul was a little cleaner and his old Racer X licks were SOOOO difficult to play... :shock: Just listen to Paul´s part on Gone Too Far and then Bruce´s part (not saying bruce´s part is worse ) but Paul´s part is more challenging technically.... I think Bruce could do what Paul did easily... I Just liked more Paul´s approach to Melodic Fast Guitar playing

Albert Einstein

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:05 pm
Motorman

I just want someone to clear this up for me... Was Paul more technically advanced back in the day??

I like his playing alot more back in the 80s. Sounded alot like Van Halen with Yngwie's chops.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:21 pm
Godzilla

Well, I'd say when it comes to Techniqual Ability, Paul Gilbert wins in my opinion. Now the only reason I say that is because, Paul Gilbert invented his style of playing. Sure, sure, Yngwie J. Malmsteen had some really Fast Licks, and all of that, but Paul made that sound listenable. And also if you check out the timeline that Yngwie became popular in America, and when Paul went to G.I.T. you'll clearly see "Oh shit, this must mean Paul was playing like this, before Yngwie got famous." And that, is the truth. See, Yngwie's chops were basically the Chops of Classical guitarist, with added distortion. Great none the less, amazing at times, and very tasteful. But when it comes to being creative, I have one phrase for you, "String Skipping Arpeggios". Now what kind of sick twisted mind spent hours violating a Fretboard to come up with those?! :twisted:

So in short, I'd say Paul Gilbert wins on originality, and creativity. But also, I believe him and Bruce Bouillet had thier own strengths and weaknesses. For instance, if there is a Phrase Paul can't Alternate Pick, I'd like to see it, and if there is a Phrase Bruce couldn't Sweep Pick, I'd like to see it. :D

-Mason

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:56 pm
Unt! I move topics!

And also if you check out the timeline that Yngwie became popular in America, and when Paul went to G.I.T. you'll clearly see "Oh shit, this must mean Paul was playing like this, before Yngwie got famous." And that, is the truth.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Paul was listening to Yngwie before he got famous in America. Paul used to talk to Mike Varney on the phone and Mike would play tapes of Yngwie over the phone so Paul could hear them. Paul would be the first to tell you that his style changed significantly after hearing Yngwie.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

No Parole from Rock and Roll was released in 1983 too--pre Paul GIT I believe.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:31 pm
Godzilla

As the neighborhood kids would say "Oh Snap". Well if that is true, and I believe it, seeing as him and Mike Varney were good friends, then that's amazing how quickley Paul picked up on Yngwie's style. Wow, now I'm definatley happy I voted for Paul. Thanks for the info guys :D

-Mason

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:27 pm
Superhero

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:48 pm
Motorman

If you listen to Al De Meola and De Lucia etc, you can hear alternate picking as fast if not faster than Yngwie and Paul.

All on acoustic too :)

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:18 pm
Superhero

If you listen to Al De Meola and De Lucia etc, you can hear alternate picking as fast if not faster than Yngwie and Paul.

All on acoustic too :)

True. I'm pretty sure I remember reading an interview with DiMeola once where he kind of resented the idea that people thought that Yngwie came up with that fast alt pick style. Al was doing it in the 70's but never really had the notoriety that Yngwie had at the height of his popularity in the mid to late '80s.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next