View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Do any of you cover any Racer X songs? 
God Of The Sun

vic wrote:
as much as i would like to learn the solos note for note, i would never be able to push myself to do it. I go all AAD after about 4 bars.....

AAD?

ADD....dammit man i cant even spell.......

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:26 pm
Motorman

GeorgeV thats a well decent thing to do!!! Our last gig, we donated all the funds (over 900 quid) to the local scout group who let us play their hall!!! We have played sunlit nights twice live, n we jam to scarified as a joke, i can play it, n the drummer, who is actually a guitarist can keep beat, hte bassist just mimes coz hes a joker!!! Tom hogan is god!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:49 pm
Motorman

Post Re: :)
Quote:
Well, I really don't see why anyone would want to play them verbatim, you need to add your own touch! :wink:

That is an option too, but somehow i always disliked non-original solos, simply because the original versions are so good that nothing can replace them. I don't care about band's originality, if i ever cover one song i want it to be 100% accurateas on the album of the band, you can add your touch on your own songs, there you have no boundaries ;)

But yes, i agree with you and your point of view. It is an option too, but as i said, i really don't like it so much ..

Regards.... 8)

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:19 am
God Of The Sun

nobody i know in my area even likes racer x :cry:
guess i'll just have to play myself

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:40 pm
Profile ICQ
Search Button God!

i wish i was in my band

You can play with my band :P

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:01 pm
Viking Kong

it would be cool to do some covers, but my band mates are a bunch of pussy emo kids.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:52 pm
Godzilla

well beat them. i think that if ur gona cover a song u might as well put your own twist on it occasionally unless its a trademark hook of the song. Like when skid row covered crazy train. It was almsot as good and they barely did the same stuff aside from the progression andrythmm.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:52 am
Profile YIM WWW
God Of The Sun

Roosterman666 wrote:
i wish i was in my band

You can play with my band :P

YAY!!! :lol:
all i need now is a plane ticket and lots of money
... :cry:

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:17 am
Profile ICQ
is O.H.B.

I'm not in a band, but if I were I'd want to do "Time Before the Sun"...I can sing the HELL out of that one. Be a cool band name too 8)

It's not about winning or losing, or even how you play the game. It's about how you look bending over in a short skirt.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Well, not a whole racerx-song but we tried to incorporate the intro to scarfied in our version of Eye of the tiger... unfortunately the drummer and bassist couldn't keep up with the tempo and the flurry of notes. I need to find another band next to my current one.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Shred Ninja wrote:
Quote:
Well, I really don't see why anyone would want to play them verbatim, you need to add your own touch! :wink:

That is an option too, but somehow i always disliked non-original solos, simply because the original versions are so good that nothing can replace them. I don't care about band's originality, if i ever cover one song i want it to be 100% accurateas on the album of the band, you can add your touch on your own songs, there you have no boundaries ;)

But yes, i agree with you and your point of view. It is an option too, but as i said, i really don't like it so much ..

Regards.... 8)

Does that mean you don't like "Moonage Daydream" on Second Heat, 'cause I'm damn sure they aren't the original solos :D

I do remember that when I was growing up and learning to play guitar I had a definite goal : I wanted to be the fastest, blow everyone else away and chop people's head off with my guitar playing - Paul Gilbert

Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

When they played live they harmonized the originial solo as well as improvising.

Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

Quote:
Does that mean you don't like "Moonage Daydream" on Second Heat, 'cause I'm damn sure they aren't the original solos :D

It's the best solo on Second heat for me ;)

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:39 pm
Superhero

Shred Ninja wrote:
Quote:

It's the best solo on Second heat for me ;)

I prefer the version on live extreme because it has a part of the original solo

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:44 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

My old band used to play almost everything off of Second Heat. People in the small college town in Louisiana that I'm originally from loved it. Great contrast to the GnR stuff we were also playing! Unfortunately, it's really hard to get a full band together where everyone in the band has the ability and determination to play stuff that freakin' hard.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

In my band we were thinking to cover SUPERHEROES and O.H.B.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:27 pm
Promises to use Search button

I haven't been playing for like 8yrs I think, but back then played lotsa RX covers. We had coupla tabs which we would check and check to see if they're accurate enough, otherwise everything is by ear. Only had cassettes as reference point, but we tried our best to be as close as possible.

Played some frm EV 1-2 like, Loud & Clear, Gone Too Far, Sunlit Nights and Sacrifice plus a few more album covers (can't remember) for a competition. The crowd was a roar. I suppose nobody had ever played Racer X much or even attempted as close as them. Especially, for competitions. But we were kicked b4 the finals. Maybe they didn't like the originals we wrote for that round *lol*

Amazingly after all these yrs, ppl still remembers. So my mates and I are planning to get together again recently; already got several songs lined-up. After listening to SOD 1 again, I just couldn't resist. But I doubt if we could play Scarified at 143 bpm or like Paul did. I suppose like at 120 bpm is comfortable, 130 is very intensed, but anything above that could probably wreck my wrist and fell off. ^^"

One of you here played Scit Scat Wah. I salute thee. The ending string-skipped pentatonic are among the hardest licks to play imho. It would probably take several solid mths for me. Even then, the actual speed would just be too terrifying to attempt; Paul is just too darn fast with everything! But great to see a lotsa others here playing RX covers too. I'd say go for it. You have all my respects and admiration sirs.

On another note, I've been very impressed with Peter Lindstrom's transcriptions, he's obviously a very good player.

P.S. Now I have CDs. Thank goodness for them. :D

Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:51 pm
Godzilla

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:00 pm
Promises to use Search button

Can I use your avatar? :)

To avoid some confusions in the board, I think better not use the same avatar. Here, I made another one just for you, feel free to use it. :wink:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:43 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Can I use your avatar? :)

argh.. I was gona ask first :lol:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next