View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The "3rd" Studio Album ??? 
Dr. X

Post The "3rd" Studio Album ???
I've done a bit of searching through theboard on this but not managed to find any definitive answers. In the interview with Bruce and John we had for G-Force, back in 1991, Jorge asks them :

"G-F: So the stuff you have in the can, is that ever gonna come out ?

BB : Some day, hopefully. It’s pretty cool stuff. It’s probably one of the best albums we had.

G – F : Was this with Paul or Chris ?

BB : With Paul, with the original line-up. We never did anything without the original line-up after the group broke up."

I was listening to a live tape from the Omni in 1988, and Jeff teases the crowd by saying they're gonna play a shit load of new stuff, or something like that. I was wondering if this is stuff that was actually ever recorded, or just tunes that they had written, but were yet to be recorded, or maybe they were just referring to the extra live stuff for EV2. Does any one know for sure ?

Either way, I was trying to work out what that hypothetical "third" album would have contained, based from the live albums and bootlegs of gigs around that time. I came up with the following :

1. Scit Scat Wah (Live EV 1)
2. She Wants Control (Live EV 1)
3. Set The World On Fire (Live EV1)
4. Poison Eyes (Live EV2 + live tapes)
5. Give It To Me (Live EV2 + live tapes)
6. Fire Of Rock (Live tapes)
7. Miss Mistreater (Live tapes)

Anyone know of any other tunes that they were doing around this time which could have been included?

I guess there could also be covers. We know about "Detroit Rock City" and "Cold Gin" but I've heard "Train Kept A'Rollin'" and "Teenage Wasteland". Anybody know of anymore ?

I do remember that when I was growing up and learning to play guitar I had a definite goal : I wanted to be the fastest, blow everyone else away and chop people's head off with my guitar playing - Paul Gilbert

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I move topics!

Mad At The World from Superheroes is a tune written during that time period that would likely have appeared on the 3rd record. Additionally, there is a snipet of a song called "She's A Robot" at the end of Godzilla on the Snowball of Doom record which I think also orginates from that time period (not entirely sure on that one). I don't believe that song was ever completely finished, however.

As for covers, I know they did "Fight For Your Right" by the Beastie Boys. I believe I remember Jeff mentioning that they covered "Somebody Get Me Doctor" by Van Halen. And at least once I saw them cover a Judas Priest tune ... I'm sure it was one off of British Steel and I think it was "Rapid Fire", but I'm not completely sure.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

D'oh ! Of course, Can't believe I forgot about "Mad At The World" ! Thanks Surgeon, I would have loved to heard "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" - the only band I like better than Racer X is Van Halen, and the only guitarist I like better than Paul is Ed. I always thought that Paul was the closest thing to a 90s Van Halen - great phrasing, great rhythm, great songwriting and huge chops.

If you add "Mad At The World" then that's 8 tunes, which ain't too far off a whole album.

Bruce also said that " I Don't Care" off "The Scream" started in the Racer X days, but I think it was just a riff and wasn't developed into a whole tune until later.

I do remember that when I was growing up and learning to play guitar I had a definite goal : I wanted to be the fastest, blow everyone else away and chop people's head off with my guitar playing - Paul Gilbert

Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

When I was at MI Paul talked about a Baba O'Reilly duet he had worked out with Bruce and the band.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:53 am
Unt! I move topics!

When I was at MI Paul talked about a Baba O'Reilly duet he had worked out with Bruce and the band.

Yeah, they did cover Baba O'Reilly. Floyd mentioned he knew about "Teenage Wasteland" ... "Baba O'Reilly" is the actual name of that song.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Endless probably would have been on it too..

Regards,
Ken

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

AWESOME. I'd love to hear that!

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:19 am
Viking Kong

Post Re: The "3rd" Studio Album ???
Floyd L wrote:
"Train Kept A'Rollin'"

wow, yardbirds cover \0/

Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:34 am
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

Endless probably would have been on it too..

THE HIT SINGLE!

-Chad

Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]