View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 My Basic Review Of The New Racer X CD 
Site Admin

Post My Basic Review Of The New Racer X CD
I thought I'd let you know my general impressions of the Racer X CD, without being too specific.

Obviously, having been in Vegas during the rehersal process, I had heard many of the songs with Chad.

I talked to Jeff at length about the CD this weekend, and in general, the CD was recorded with them all playing together, with fixes being plugged in. So, what you hear..aside from the solos, is what was played live. It gives the CD that feel. The vision of drums, bass and guitar all being recorded individually, and then pieced together to "make" a song is NOT how this was done. You can tell.

From a "Sound" perspective...I can not compare this CD to any of the previous recordings. Whereas Superheroes can be perceived as a REALLY good extention of Technical Difficulties. This new CD stands on it's own. It has a real Raw sound...it feels and sounds like a 3 piece band, which I think gives it REAL appeal.

The songs have a really cool riff/groove orientation, far more so than Superheroes, which has a BIG SOUND type feel. The songs themself, had quite a few changes from when I heard them in Vegas. And of course, many had some cool production techniques added to give texture.

Jeff voice. In my opinion...and I told Jeff this no less than 3 times, that this is his best vocal album BAR NONE, Hands down. There are, as on the other albums, a couple slower songs where Jeff sings about meaningful topics...ala Waiting. They are awesome. We all know Jeff can sing high naturally....but you'll really dig his signing voice. Bruce heard the CD with John, and word is Bruce also said this Jeff's best effort yet.

Paul. You all wanna know...What about Paul? In my opinion, this is Paul's least "Shred" CD. Now...before you all FREAK OUT. He plays FAST and SMOKING....many many many times..so relax. What I mean...Is from a flavor or taste factor?? Oh MY GOD. There is one song in particular...I'll spill the guts...it's called Siren's Eye. Paul is JUST UNREAL....his tone...his notes...his phrasing...it has screaming moments no doubt...but it sounds so exotic and hypnotizing. I just love hearing it. On one song....Paul hits one note...which sustains without feedback for ...gosh..it seems like a minute...then bends into more notes...it leaves you breathless, without any flying fingers....which of course comes later and leaves you out of breath and dry mouthed from your jaw open.

There are 2 songs, that most people would say....are radio friendly. They're just good songs, one of which...I think is the best song on the CD. I think it has Jeff's best melody to date.

So...overall. This album is a change to some extent. I don't believe there is 1 song on the CD that you can say..Oh...this sounds like XYZ from Superheroes or TD. Which in my book...is AWESOME. Fast licks....Fast riffs.....Fast vocals from Jeff....Great melodies....and haunting leads. This is the kind of CD where first pass you hear one thing....then the more passes you make...the more things you hear.

Regards,
Ken

Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Golden God

Thanks for the insight,Ken.This is exactly why I love this band.You just never know what's around the corner with these guys.I'm spending Thanksgiving weekend with Bruce,next week,so I've talked to him on the phone a few times in the past week.He told me that if he would have thought about it,he would have burned a copy for me.I can't really say I'm bummed,but that's only because I had Bruce Bouillet on the other end of my phone.LOL.

Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Thanks for the info Ken. I really can't wait to hear this!!!

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:30 pm
Godzilla

You are torturing us, brother. :wink: . But I don't mind.. Thanks for the info. I have no doubt that this album is going to be FANTASTIC!!

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:37 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Since you were at rehersals can you tell us what gear Paul was using? Which Laneys? Any other amps used besides Laneys?

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:43 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

I'm sold. You should get that review posted on Blabbermouth or KNAC. Its very insightful and leaves me really wanting to get my hands on the CD.

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:45 pm
Dr. X

Ohh this is gonna be good. After hearing pauls songwriting on Burning Organ I cant wait any longer for more.

Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:53 pm
God Of The Sun

Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:26 am
Site Admin

OK...as far as guitars, at least when we were there, Paul was rotating between a few guitars.

The majority of the time he was using his Ibanez Paul Gilbert 1969:

He was also using the Ibanez 335 from Snowball Of Doom:

An old Ibanez Les Paul:

And a red and gold Ibanez PGM

As far as pedals, these were the ones he had out...there's 1000 pedals in the house. The Electric Mistress and A/DA Flanger are all over the new record.

Paul used two 2X12" Laney cabs that were set up in the bathroom on the other end of the upstairs. LOUD.

And Paul used one Laney head and a custom made Lee Jackson/Paul's Dad Marshall. They both ran through a Hot Plate (which is like a Marshall Power Brake but better...) into the 2 2X12's.

-Chad

Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:27 am
Golden God

That's kickass Chad.Once again you are the man!!!

Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

The fact that you're both saying that the record stays essentially 3-piece is REALLY intriguing to me. I always loved Living Colour for doing that on their records and I can't wait to hear the X-men use the same type of motif. Nice review Ken, and thanks for the great pix Chad! We have GOT to plan a massive board get-together when they do their first U.S. gig after the release. It'll be really great to finally meet all of the excellent folks that share their thoughts here. I think it might be one HELLA jam session as well!

http://www.raystreetpark.com
Creator/Curator of Internet Radio Station Local Detroit Rock on
http://www.live365.com/stations/detroit37

Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:13 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

so has Paul written his own Tender Surrender? (God I love that song!)

Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:51 am
Dr. X

I cannot wait to hear this! Shredacuda and I were talking the other day and we both said that Jeff just keeps getting better!
X-mas-X-men-X-rocks!

Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:07 am
God Of The Sun

Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:47 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The fact that you're both saying that the record stays essentially 3-piece is REALLY intriguing to me.

I'm not sure there is ANY background guitar work. I'd have to REALLY listen to find it. It's a BIG John bass sound...Scott pounding drums and Paul.

One song sounds like 3 guitars playing harmony....but it's not. It's Paul tapping out harmonics...I couldn't believe it when Jeff told me.

And don't forget about the salad bowl backwards masked intro!

Regards,
Ken

Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:22 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Phew, Siren's Eyes. Now THAT sounds like something from Symphony X (aka, their song "Sirens").

Ken, will we have to adapt to this new Racer X sound? I remember how hard it was for me to go from listening to all Street Lethal and Second Heat songs, then buying Technical Difficulties and realizing how much different the two 'eras' were. It took me some time, but I adapted and I like both sounds equally much...

Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:24 am
Site Admin

Ken, will we have to adapt to this new Racer X sound?

Ummm...I'd say that's a yes. Having a 3 piece sound...it's different. Jeff wrote some really trippy songs...they go from Egyptian kinda sounding...to Hot Rod lincoln! So....get ready.

There's a bunch of songs you're going think are badass right from the get go....then there's a few where you'll listen to a few times and really hear what's going on....and go DAMN.

I'd say these songs are more complex. There's more runs...more speed on some...LOTS of double runs with Paul and John. Tons of riffs...this CD has WAY more riffs that Superheroes...I'd classify Superheroes as a power chord CD...and this as a RiFF CD.

Regards,
Ken

Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:41 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Didnt PGM come out with new model or something?

Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:48 am
Viking Kong

Alright, cool man, Ill be looking forward to this.

Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next