View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 what was the original setlist from the Extreme Volume show? 
is the Siren's Eye

Post what was the original setlist from the Extreme Volume show?
I know that both the Extreme Volume cds were taken from the same concert recording but are they in the original order of the show? It seems like they are not becauise the second part was released so much later as a cash in. The first part is probably just hilights. Does anyone know the setlist and order of the show that was recorded?

Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Yeah i'd be interested to know too. Also, does anyone know what guitars Paul used at the gig (for his solo etc). No reason particularly, i'm just curious...But the tone is DEADLY!!! :twisted:

Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:42 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: what was the original setlist from the Extreme Volume sh
rockastansky wrote:
I know that both the Extreme Volume cds were taken from the same concert recording but are they in the original order of the show? It seems like they are not becauise the second part was released so much later as a cash in. The first part is probably just hilights. Does anyone know the setlist and order of the show that was recorded?

That's a REALLY good question. I wonder if any of them still have that. Jeff?

Regards,
Ken

Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I don't particularly remember the exact setlist in order but I do know there are songs that they played that did not make either disc... X

Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:07 pm
Unt! I move topics!

Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:29 am
Profile WWW
Golden God

I think the setlist contained......a bunch of stuff that no one else but THEM can play!!!!

Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:26 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Post Racer X show
I have both concerts on tape somewhere. All I can remember is Jeff telling the audience that they are recording for a live CD...he also thanks the opening bands (Fahrenheit is the only name I can remember.) I also remember Jeff saying something saying- "His name is Bruce and he's hung like a moose!" before Bruce's solo. That used to crack me up. I have to dig the tapes up to get the exact set list. I actually think that the album was re-recorded on certain parts. (This is normal for nearly all "live" albums.)

www.dimarzio.com
www.daddario.com

Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:19 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

After MotorMan Scotts drums just come out of nowhere and at first i did not really notice it, but later i thought about it and it seems to fast after the last song. I just wish they could have included Scarified.

Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:43 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Post Re: Racer X show
Shane Black wrote:
I have both concerts on tape somewhere.

If you find them, please email me.

Shane Black wrote:
actually think that the album was re-recorded on certain parts. (This is normal for nearly all "live" albums.)

LOL...I can accept that....but there's some non-believers out there.

Regards,
Ken

Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

KenHower wrote:
Shane Black wrote:
actually think that the album was re-recorded on certain parts. (This is normal for nearly all "live" albums.)

LOL. Let's not get on this subject again, please.....

Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:49 pm
Dr. X

DarrOn wrote:
KenHower wrote:
Shane Black wrote:

LOL. Let's not get on this subject again, please.....

Hey if your talking 'bout my lip syncing post. I wasn't familar with how concerts are produced (i'm a youngin' :wink: ) and understand now, so agian if your referring to me I ACCEPT :P

Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:18 pm
Godzilla

Shane Black wrote:
I actually think that the album was re-recorded on certain parts.

I wouldn't doubt it. I was there, and my recollection is that Paul was getting really bad feedback during his solo. My thought at the time was that that sure isn't good when they're doing a live recording.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom." - John F. Kennedy 1961

Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:30 pm
Dr. X

Does anyone remember or know if they ever did Sacrifice live? Ever? I only have one bootleg from the old days, but I really would have liked to hear that one live.

Richard

Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:24 am
Dr. X

Post Set List
After digging through my massive tape collection, I finally found one of my Racer X tapes. Here is the "real" set list for night one of the recording for Racer X' "Extreme Volume" 1 and 2. My friend has the shows on video. He gave me the tapes in the late 80s along with a tablature transcription of the intro to "Motor Man" that he got from one of his buddies that was one of Paul Gilbert's GIT students. The buddy of my friend (I.e.- Paul's student) was the one that recorded and videotaped the shows.

Intro (J.S. Bach theme)
Hammer Away
Dangerous Love
Loud and Clear
Give it to Me
Gone Too Far
Bruce's Solo
Heart of a Lion
Motor Man
Scott's Solo
She Wants Control
Sunlit Nights
John's Solo
Scit Scat Wah
*Jeff thanks Fahrenheit, Glassy(?) and St. Valentines
Set the World on Fire
Paul's Solo
Rockit

*After a couple of munutes, Jeff comes back on stage and Says"His name is Bruce, he's no recluse cause he's hung like a moose and he's ON THE LOOSE!"
On the Loose (encore)
Detroit Rock City (encore)

The audio on the tape is surprisingly good. There are sketchy parts all over the place, mostly with the out of tune harmony vocals. FYI- There was no "feedback" during Paul's solo- It's the harmonizer. When that gizmo kicks in, it is friggin' EARSPLITTING!

www.dimarzio.com
www.daddario.com

Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:06 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Post Follow Up
I forgot to mention that Jeff mentions on the tape that Shrapnel Records wanted to send Racer X on an 18 date U.S. tour to record the live album(s). Jeff, however, said "Why go next door an' get a drink when you've got the bottle in yer' hip pocket!"

www.dimarzio.com
www.daddario.com

Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:12 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Post Re: Set List
Shane Black wrote:
FYI- There was no "feedback" during Paul's solo- It's the harmonizer. When that gizmo kicks in, it is friggin' EARSPLITTING!
Hmmm, that's interesting. Was it a two night thing, or only one night? (...like maybe I was at the alternate night) It's been a long time ago, so my memory could be inaccurate. But I think I would have recognized a harmonizer. (I'm not doubting you, though, because the tape wouldn't lie.)

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom." - John F. Kennedy 1961

Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:59 am
Racer X - Current Member

I'm pretty sure I used my pink Ibanez for all of both shows. It's the one that was modeled after the old Epiphone. I don't think I did any guitar fixes for Extreme Volume.

I remember fixing the harmony solo in "Detroit Rock City" when we mixed "Extreme Volume II". Bruce and I played the harmony solo with our teeth, and I bunged up a couple of notes at the concert.

When I fixed it, I stayed true the concert and played it with my teeth in the studio!

For the insanely high parts in my guitar solo, I used an ADA harmonizer, or maybe it was an Ibanez harmonizer. I can't remember which one. It was set to an octave up.

We didn't play "Sacrifice" very often, but we did do it a few times. I remember playing it at The Stone in San Francisco and it was killer.

That's all I remember!

Paul

Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:40 am
Dr. X

We didn't play "Sacrifice" very often, but we did do it a few times. I remember playing it at The Stone in San Francisco and it was killer.

Paul

I got that video TOTALLY KICK ASS, it also has you and Bruce playing one guitar together; as well as the "teeth grinding" Detroit City Rock closing Scotts Solo was so awesome too, I thought he was never going to stop :wink:. Johns solo had some amazing slapping goin' on. There was a solo from Bruce but not from you Paul :cry:

Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:58 am
Dr. X

Post More stuff in regard to EV shows
As far as I know, the recording for Extreme Volume 1 and 2 was done during two nights in 1987 at the Country Club in Reseda, California. Recording was handled by the Record Plant's 2.1 million dollar remote recording facility (Jeff mentioned this at the show.) The playing on the night of EV1 is near perfect. There a only a few pitchy vocals that were probably redone or pitch-corrected. Bruce's solo on night 1 is slightly different than the version on EV. (He plays some crazy Jason Becker-style arpeggios during the opening sequence. The bluesy section is also a little different.) Paul's solo from night 1 is definitely the version that is on EV. The tunes on the live albums were definitely culled from the two shows. Jeff mentioned at the concert that the band made the venue drop the price so the audience would come back for the second night. It's definitely a bummer that Racer X chose to do two nights in California instead of an 18 date US tour like Shrapnel propsed. I was, and still am a big fan- it would have been very cool to see them live. My friend has nearly evevry show that the band performed on video...he has one of Pual's early clinics where he plays the guitar on the ground like a friggin' piano. It's INSANE! Take care.
Best regards,
Shane Black

www.dimarzio.com
www.daddario.com

Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Dug up this old thread while transferring both EV discs onto 1 (yes, they both fit onto a single disc). I figured, "Why not put the songs in the correct running order?" using the above set list. Only one problem: there are 3 extra songs that are not on the list a few posts up. So, the question is where do they fit? They are:

"Into the Night"
"Poison Eye"
"Moonage Daydream"

Anybody have a clue/recollection? Paul? Jeff?.....Bueller?

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next