View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Why did you start listening to Racer X? 
is evil...Evil Joe

I found Racer X thru Judas Priest. I thought Scott was an awesome drummer. I had heard some stuff by Paul, and thought he was a brilliant guitarist.

So i thought; awesome drummer + awesome guitar player : awesome band.

And how right i was...

Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:43 am
Site Admin

Regards,
Ken

Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Promises to use Search button

I was looking for a new guitar, and came across this nice looking Ibanez PGM. I decided to test it out and immediately loved the feel, I could shred to death on it and it felt so natural. I found out that this was the signature model of some guy named Paul Gilbert, and he was in some band called Racer X. I decided to do a little research on this 'Racer X' band, and heard a litle clip of 'Technical Difficulties'...the day I decided to buy the guitar. Pretty soon I heard more Racer X tracks, such as 'Scarified'. I decided to head to the local record store and see if they had any Racer X records. I bought Technical Difficulties after a hard choice between that and Snowball Of Doom (I plan to purchase that album as well, though). I loved the album a lot, it had this great rock n' roll feel I hadn't felt for a long time, standout songs for me were their cover of Black Sabbath's Children Of The Grave, 17th Moon, Fire Of Rock, B.R.O and of course, Technical Difficulties.

I have yet to whip out the PGM in a live show, because there are no live oppurtunities right now (The band is on hiatus), but it will be my frontliner on subsequent live performances.

Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:56 am
Motorman

In185 Saw Paul Gilber tin KLOS Guitar Wars.. He was on fire! I said, Paul, What up? What up? And the rest is history.. "I can take Paul..."

:D

Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:37 pm
Promises to use Search button

I stumbled accross 'Extreme Volume' when I was a young strummer.
I was in the process of buying as much vinyl from Shrapnel as possible, and the guy from my local music store pulled it (the album...BEHAVE!) from a box of recent arrivals.
So I thought...why not. :?
After getting home and listening to some Tony MacAlpine and Vinnie Moore, I threw the album on...and that was it.
I was hooked for life.

I then took it as my sworn duty to spread the "Gospel of X" to every musician I could find.

And have been ever since. :)

Growing up wanting to sweep and blaze ala "El Gilberto" in a small New Zealand town was an interesting experience.
But he inspired me to develop technique and knowledge that helped me work in the industry for many years.

*This rubbish has been delivered from Brisbane, Australia. Dont blame the rest of them. It's just me :D

Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:49 am
Profile YIM
is the Siren's Eye

Post I actually got the record.....
.........and unlike anything I have ever heard earlier I really was scared.

At that time guitar was still this huge puzzle to me, with questions like how do you do that, how can you play this so fast were everywhere.

It all started with the movie Crossroads with Vai and continued with RACERX.

Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:49 pm
Godzilla

"Why did you start listening to Racer X?"

I dunno. Just dumb, I guess...

Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:47 pm
Dr. X

Last edited by x-epiphone-x on Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:13 am
Dr. X

It was about 2 yrs ago when my guitar teacher gave me Technical Difficulties
saying this: "all right now you're ready for alternate picking, let's break down some PG's chops" since then i've always been listening Racer X and PG

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:40 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

then i love Listen his Song,Very Cool!

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:51 pm
Godzilla

I first heard of Racer X in 1995 or so, when I was only 7. My dad had a copy of Street Lethal or Second Heat, can't quite remember. Then about 2 years ago, whilst mucking about on WinMX, I started typing random words/phrases. Luckily for me, I typed in "technical difficulties", just because I thought it sounded like a cool phrase.

After those 3/4mns of utter astonishment, I went out and blew a whole month-and-a-half's wages (£120) on Racer X, Paul's solo stuff and some odd bits and bobs (including £20 worth of Ibanez Paul Gilbert guitar picks. :lol:).

And....I still spend WAY too much on CDs and other stuff. :lol:

:D

G

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:45 pm
God Of The Sun

Guitar Mags and Mr Big. If you Play Guitar you cant really miss Paul Gilbert

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:48 pm
Dr. X

It was late 86 or early 87, I can't quite remember which. I got into rock/metal through hearing Eddie's solo on "Beat It" and then getting all the VH back catalogue, so I got into the hot guitarist thing as soon as I got into metal. Then I heard MacAlpine's "The Taker" on the radio and got "Edge Of Insanity" which was amzing and then I heard some Yngwie stuff which I thought was pretty cool as well.

At around this time, Kerrang magazine (this was back in the days when it was a proper metal magazine) did a three part series called "New Guitar Masters" where they did feautures on the new breed of guitar heroes - I can't remember all of them but they did Yngwie, Vai, Akira Takasaki, Joshua Perahia and Paul Gilbert. Bruce was featured with him, but this was before "Second Heat" had been released.

Our local library used to lend out records, and there must have been some other shred heads in town, 'cause they had all the Yngwie albums in and also had "Street Lethal". So I checked it out and I was hooked instantly, mainly cause it was this shred style but in metal band format which was really different from most of the instrumental Neo-classical stuff which was around at the time. I think the rhythm guitar also really hooked me, and I also liked the fact that here was a guy who was only a couple of years older than me.

Basically, I just recognised shit hot music when I heard it

I do remember that when I was growing up and learning to play guitar I had a definite goal : I wanted to be the fastest, blow everyone else away and chop people's head off with my guitar playing - Paul Gilbert

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:56 am
God Of The Sun

Talked to my friend about metal and music. I said I loved instrumental/classical/shred kind of music or "neo-classical" in music terms. :roll:

He recommended me to listen to Scarified. A die-hard fan since then.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:09 am
Superhero

I got bored one day and all of a sudden wanted to learn to play guitar ( I was recently playing bass) like really, really well So I typed in "Guitar Lessons" and the first one sayed Paul Gilbert Instructional 1. So I got it then hit Play And Remember seeing his bright Red Axe with 3 Humbuckers then he started Picking so fast I did not think it was even possible.

Musicman Out.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:53 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Dont u that very first shock of seeing shred? i went from a total punker to seeing angelo and i was floored.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:12 am
Superhero

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:23 am
Profile YIM
Godzilla

At around this time, Kerrang magazine (this was back in the days when it was a proper metal magazine) did a three part series called "New Guitar Masters" where they did feautures on the new breed of guitar heroes - I can't remember all of them but they did Yngwie, Vai, Akira Takasaki, Joshua Perahia and Paul Gilbert. Bruce was featured with him, but this was before "Second Heat" had been released.

That was the same feature that got me into racer x(just looked it out of my attic!!).I was into the whole Yngwie/Vai scene & decided to investigate some of those mentioned in the features(especially vinnie moore,impelliterri)& when MR Big Came out I went back & bought second heat & Never looked back!!

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:23 pm
Godzilla

yep ..Its funny seeing someone affected by the same article especially as it wasn't a sort of main feature in the magazine!!

Last edited by beggz on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next