View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Why did you start listening to Racer X? 
Viking Kong

Ok, here's my quite weird story how I got to know of Racer X:

At that time the queens of the stone age were my favourite band, I was listening to "Songs for the deaf" a lot.
I wanted to buy my first quality guitar and was thinking what pickups I'll put in. Since Josh Homme of QOTSA was playing the Dimarzio Super 2 in the neck position I wanted a Super 2 in the neck. For the bridge I thought of getting the Super Distortion, since it says on the Dimarzio page "blabla the Super 2 is like the Super Distortion plus more treble", it thought it would be a good match.
To check if the Super Distortion is a good choice I went to the Harmony Central reviews of that pickup. In one of the reviws one guy said "I'm using the Super Distortion, the same pickup that Paul Gilbert is using with Racer X to play those super fast solos..."

And I was thinking:"Paul Gilbert? Thats that guy from that Vivaldi tapping videoclip. He's playing in a band?!" (Really stupid, I know :lol: . At time I was thinking Paul Gilbert is only teaching and I only knew that vivaldi tapping lesson...)

So I listened to the song "Street Lethal" and was thinking "This is the best guitar solo ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
And by now I almost own all Racer X albums.
I'm only missing the SoDII CD, but it's already ordered 8)

where did you order yours?!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:30 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Bootleg- ... F8&s=music

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:46 pm
Dr. X

Ok way back in the day , 86 or so i was madly into guitar and metal , buying all the guitar mags and so on and i saw this guy with a pink ibanez in a washing up bowl in an advert in one of the mags.
It had the tab for scarified in the same issue and only being used to playing iron maiden etc i tried the tab and couldnt work out how the fuck it was supposed to sound so i went out and bought second heat ............ anyone who was the same age as me in the 80,s will know what a helluva shock that was lmao.
Anyway 20 years later i decided it was time to stop pretending that i liked shit music and admit my shredder tendencies , got meself a new guitar teacher (an ibanez and laney sponsored player who will be playing for ibanez at the london guitar show this year) and i havent looked back since .........
PG if you ever read this your music lifts me when im down and inspires me when i feel creative many thanks for Racer x , mr big and all your solo projects ............... now its about time for some shows in england bud :D

Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:41 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

i have always been a fan of technique, so when i started playing guitar my girlfriends dad told me to check out a cd, and he handed me guitar masters and told me to check out scarified... i didnt think much...

3 years rolled by, and paul became a regular in total guitar.... FUCK HES FAST!!!!!

then i met a good friend garry (a friend of guthrie) he was always telling me how great MR big were (i knew this as i had the guitar techniques with colorado bulldog in) i knew a little bit about racer x at this point... but only how technical they were.... so i asked my new girlfriend to get me a Cd for crimbo.... i didnt like it much...... (i think it was the vocals)

then i woke up and bought EVERY album

I FUCKING LOVE THIS BAND!!!!!

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:53 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

mine is from the Amzon "used and new" section, from "Caiman"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 98-7008153

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:01 am
Viking Kong

Sir Robin wrote:

cool.

I ordered mine at Amazon more than a year ago, and it was out of stock... :?

25 wasted dollars

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:54 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

So how did I get into Racer X? For me it was a very very recentish development. I was very much into gaming, fighting games, it was about the middle of last year, and I saw this "Combo Video" by a guy called "Ceyfador". Pretty much a load of long combos by this guy in various games. The first track that was playing in it was "Technical Difficulties", and bang it plagued my mind like a parasite, it just stayed in my head. So of course I had to find out what it was, and who by. So I did. Racer X. Nice name. So I went and got the album, and I loved it. So I moved onto find the rest of them. Then there was the whole "Find out about them" thing. So that was Wikipedia helping. And Paul Gilbert. I got into all his music and instructional stuff, saw a bit of Mr. Big, more Racer X, tad more Gilbert, more X, some more Gilbert, a bit more X.... and so on.

Yeah, rockin'.

And of course I struck everyone I knew with the names "Racer X" and all of it's members. Go me. 8)

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:58 pm
God Of The Sun

PGA1000 Dude wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:

cool.

I ordered mine at Amazon more than a year ago, and it was out of stock... :?

25 wasted dollars

It was out of stock and they charged money for it!?! I can't believe it!
that sucks

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:00 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Lets start.... I live in Argentina and let me tell you that a few years ago (back in 1987) things don't came that easy for guitar players. Today, with Internet you have Guitar Pro, Power Tab, Tab Books. These days we only have EARS and not too much information, but destiny finds his ways and someday walking in the streets of Buenos Aires I find a Guitar Player magazine with a little plastic disc, let me tell you that even find a Guitar Player magazine was pretty rare back in these days. Our country was close to imported material from other countries and neither publish music besides big bands (Kiss, Maiden, Judas). If they don't do it with bands like Motley Crue or Metallica or Malmsteen, they don't even know of the existence of Racer X. But like I tell you before destiny finds his way and when I here this disc where Racer X plays Scarified my days as Guitar Player change forever. I don't find the exact words to tell you how it was to be a hard rock music fan this days in Argentina. For example, we have only one magazine that covers this type of music and the information wasn't accurate (They make a false interview with Vivian Campbell where the ask ¿How it was to be a female guitar player?, YES for long time we thought Vivian Campbel was a woman!!!!!! We don't have videos neither. Do you imaging how rare was to find something of Paul Gilbert????
Well God was with me this day and that was my first meeting with Paul music. From this day he was my greatest music hero. Metal, pop, rock... doesn't matter what music he plays, I run to buy his albums

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:44 pm
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Lets start.... I live in Argentina and let me tell you that a few years ago (back in 1987) things don't came that easy for guitar players. Today, with Internet you have Guitar Pro, Power Tab, Tab Books. These days we only have EARS and not too much information, but destiny finds his ways and someday walking in the streets of Buenos Aires I find a Guitar Player magazine with a little plastic disc, let me tell you that even find a Guitar Player magazine was pretty rare back in these days. Our country was close to imported material from other countries and neither publish music besides big bands (Kiss, Maiden, Judas). If they don't do it with bands like Motley Crue or Metallica or Malmsteen, they don't even know of the existence of Racer X. But like I tell you before destiny finds his way and when I here this disc where Racer X plays Scarified my days as Guitar Player change forever. I don't find the exact words to tell you how it was to be a hard rock music fan this days in Argentina. For example, we have only one magazine that covers this type of music and the information wasn't accurate (They make a false interview with Vivian Campbell where the ask ¿How it was to be a female guitar player?, YES for long time we thought Vivian Campbel was a woman!!!!!! We don't have videos neither. Do you imaging how rare was to find something of Paul Gilbert????
Well God was with me this day and that was my first meeting with Paul music. From this day he was my greatest music hero. Metal, pop, rock... doesn't matter what music he plays, I run to buy his albums

Glad you did :)

Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

I listened to a Paul Gilbert lesson in Total Guitar... he played superheroes intro and main riff. At that moment I fell in love with Gilbert's tone and superheroes' riff so I thought "man, I have to listen to something by these guys"... and then I fell in love with racer X :P

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:23 pm
Superhero

do you still have that video string killer? any chance for an upload? :P

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:38 pm
God Of The Sun

I've got news for you: My SOD 2 CD came today and in the packing slip it said that it's actually coming from www.dvdlegacy.com

try this: http://www.dvdlegacy.com/v2006/view.asp ... US&home=CD

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:53 pm
Viking Kong

It wasn't a video, just a CD-clip :)

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:57 pm
Promises to use Search button

I like to take a gamble on cds. My basic formula is Fast guitars + Live album = Pretty safe bet. I heard Paul Gilbert was fast and decided to purchase Live: Extreme Volume 1 on a whim... JACKPOT. I've been a Racer X/Paul Gilbert addict ever since.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:30 am
Dr. X

Does anyone have any of the TG lessons mp3's that they would be willing to upload?

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:49 am
Motorman

ßrono wrote:

It wasn't a video, just a CD-clip :)

that's right, but it sounded awesome... there was another one a few months after that where he played street lethal, but the tab was Horrible, hopefuly I saw a video of paul playing it

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:29 pm

I'm relatively new to Racer X and go into them because of some of the guys on the Triumph message board mentioned Paul Gilbert, so I looked into his stuff, I only have 3 albums of his-Burning Organ, Lean Into It, and Street Lethal. Which gives a variety I guess since its three different bands. Oh...I'm only 18 so its not like I just missed them in the '80s...I just wasn't born yet haha, I'm a huge Triumph/Rik Emmett fan also.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:33 am

Well, It all started when I was five. When I was growing, my brothers would constantly play guitar so I was brought up in an enviroment full of guitar stuff and guitar mania. I knew all about Joe Satriani (I used to refer to him as Joe 'ani' at my young age.) and Steve Vai, and more guys like Yngwie Malmsteen, and Paul Gilbert from Mr. Big. My brother at one point brought the Paul Gilbert Intense Rock 2 Video (the one with 'Down to Mexico' and the awesome solo at the end) I knew all about Mr. Big and Paul Gilbert from then on.....EXCEPT Racer X.

So I pretty much knew all the great guitarists as well as Paul Gilbert. So, obviously my love for Heavy Metal and Guitar Music in general just came natural to me as I grew to the age of eight. That's pretty much when I started guitar. My older brother met this guy who was pretty much the guitar virtuoso of a suburb of New Zealand. He told my brother about a legendary band named "Racer X". (Back then, the guy made it sound like a legend, a myth, something from the bible....it could've just been my imagination though). Ordering Racer X from shops proved impossible from any area.

When I turned 14, me and my brother looked on the internet. We had ways of listening to Racer X. I'm now 17, and me and my brother play Scarified together practicing. So yeah..........

...that's pretty much my life story also, as well as how I found out who Racer X was. Lol. :D

Oh, and I'm still trying to find Racer X CD's from music stores.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:55 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

My older brother met this guy who was pretty much the guitar virtuoso of a suburb of New Zealand. He told my brother about a legendary band named "Racer X". (Back then, the guy made it sound like a legend, a myth, something from the bible....it could've just been my imagination though).

I like this. :lol:

Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next