View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:26 pm



Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Why did you start listening to Racer X? 
Author Message
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:07 pm
Posts: 5555
Location: Bra-silk
Post 
PGA1000 Dude wrote:
Ok, here's my quite weird story how I got to know of Racer X:

At that time the queens of the stone age were my favourite band, I was listening to "Songs for the deaf" a lot.
I wanted to buy my first quality guitar and was thinking what pickups I'll put in. Since Josh Homme of QOTSA was playing the Dimarzio Super 2 in the neck position I wanted a Super 2 in the neck. For the bridge I thought of getting the Super Distortion, since it says on the Dimarzio page "blabla the Super 2 is like the Super Distortion plus more treble", it thought it would be a good match.
To check if the Super Distortion is a good choice I went to the Harmony Central reviews of that pickup. In one of the reviws one guy said "I'm using the Super Distortion, the same pickup that Paul Gilbert is using with Racer X to play those super fast solos..."

And I was thinking:"Paul Gilbert? Thats that guy from that Vivaldi tapping videoclip. He's playing in a band?!" (Really stupid, I know :lol: . At time I was thinking Paul Gilbert is only teaching and I only knew that vivaldi tapping lesson...)

So I listened to the song "Street Lethal" and was thinking "This is the best guitar solo ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
And by now I almost own all Racer X albums.
I'm only missing the SoDII CD, but it's already ordered 8)


where did you order yours?!

_________________
Image
JeffMartin wrote:
Incredibly cool artwork.
You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.


Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:30 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 6579
Location: Norwegian living in Liverpool, UK
Post 
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Bootleg- ... F8&s=music

_________________
Image

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.


Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:46 pm
Profile
Dr. X
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:26 am
Posts: 179
Location: England
Post 
Ok way back in the day , 86 or so i was madly into guitar and metal , buying all the guitar mags and so on and i saw this guy with a pink ibanez in a washing up bowl in an advert in one of the mags.
It had the tab for scarified in the same issue and only being used to playing iron maiden etc i tried the tab and couldnt work out how the fuck it was supposed to sound so i went out and bought second heat ............ anyone who was the same age as me in the 80,s will know what a helluva shock that was lmao.
Anyway 20 years later i decided it was time to stop pretending that i liked shit music and admit my shredder tendencies , got meself a new guitar teacher (an ibanez and laney sponsored player who will be playing for ibanez at the london guitar show this year) and i havent looked back since .........
PG if you ever read this your music lifts me when im down and inspires me when i feel creative many thanks for Racer x , mr big and all your solo projects ............... now its about time for some shows in england bud :D

_________________
You walk a mile in another mans shoes and what do you have ...... you have the suckers shoes and hes a mile away http://www.myspace.com/hebimetasan


Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:41 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:49 am
Posts: 4801
Location: london baby
Post 
LMAO well, i wasnt even alive in 1986!

i have always been a fan of technique, so when i started playing guitar my girlfriends dad told me to check out a cd, and he handed me guitar masters and told me to check out scarified... i didnt think much...

3 years rolled by, and paul became a regular in total guitar.... FUCK HES FAST!!!!!

then i met a good friend garry (a friend of guthrie) he was always telling me how great MR big were (i knew this as i had the guitar techniques with colorado bulldog in) i knew a little bit about racer x at this point... but only how technical they were.... so i asked my new girlfriend to get me a Cd for crimbo.... i didnt like it much...... (i think it was the vocals)

then i woke up and bought EVERY album

I FUCKING LOVE THIS BAND!!!!!

_________________
Suhr GG > peterson strobe 2 > EB wah > Rothwell compressor > Suhr Shiba > Suhr Riot > Jam boomster > Jam ripple > Delay Llama Bogner XTC > EB volume > bi-chorus > cornford 2x12


Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:53 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 2311
Location: Austria?
Post 
Sir Robin wrote:
where did you order yours?!


mine is from the Amzon "used and new" section, from "Caiman"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 98-7008153

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/guitardouchebaggery <--my stupid channel


Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:01 am
Profile
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:07 pm
Posts: 5555
Location: Bra-silk
Post 
PGA1000 Dude wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:
where did you order yours?!


mine is from the Amzon "used and new" section, from "Caiman"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 98-7008153


cool.

I ordered mine at Amazon more than a year ago, and it was out of stock... :?


25 wasted dollars

_________________
Image
JeffMartin wrote:
Incredibly cool artwork.
You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.


Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:54 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:37 pm
Posts: 5165
Location: London
Post 
...That sucks. =/


So how did I get into Racer X? For me it was a very very recentish development. I was very much into gaming, fighting games, it was about the middle of last year, and I saw this "Combo Video" by a guy called "Ceyfador". Pretty much a load of long combos by this guy in various games. The first track that was playing in it was "Technical Difficulties", and bang it plagued my mind like a parasite, it just stayed in my head. So of course I had to find out what it was, and who by. So I did. Racer X. Nice name. So I went and got the album, and I loved it. So I moved onto find the rest of them. Then there was the whole "Find out about them" thing. So that was Wikipedia helping. And Paul Gilbert. I got into all his music and instructional stuff, saw a bit of Mr. Big, more Racer X, tad more Gilbert, more X, some more Gilbert, a bit more X.... and so on.

Yeah, rockin'.

And of course I struck everyone I knew with the names "Racer X" and all of it's members. Go me. 8)

_________________
Thanks MDucran


Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:58 pm
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 2311
Location: Austria?
Post 
Sir Robin wrote:
PGA1000 Dude wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:
where did you order yours?!


mine is from the Amzon "used and new" section, from "Caiman"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 98-7008153


cool.

I ordered mine at Amazon more than a year ago, and it was out of stock... :?


25 wasted dollars


It was out of stock and they charged money for it!?! I can't believe it!
that sucks

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/guitardouchebaggery <--my stupid channel


Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:00 pm
Profile
is evil...Evil Joe

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:34 pm
Posts: 87
Location: Argentina
Post 
Lets start.... I live in Argentina and let me tell you that a few years ago (back in 1987) things don't came that easy for guitar players. Today, with Internet you have Guitar Pro, Power Tab, Tab Books. These days we only have EARS and not too much information, but destiny finds his ways and someday walking in the streets of Buenos Aires I find a Guitar Player magazine with a little plastic disc, let me tell you that even find a Guitar Player magazine was pretty rare back in these days. Our country was close to imported material from other countries and neither publish music besides big bands (Kiss, Maiden, Judas). If they don't do it with bands like Motley Crue or Metallica or Malmsteen, they don't even know of the existence of Racer X. But like I tell you before destiny finds his way and when I here this disc where Racer X plays Scarified my days as Guitar Player change forever. I don't find the exact words to tell you how it was to be a hard rock music fan this days in Argentina. For example, we have only one magazine that covers this type of music and the information wasn't accurate (They make a false interview with Vivian Campbell where the ask ¿How it was to be a female guitar player?, YES for long time we thought Vivian Campbel was a woman!!!!!! We don't have videos neither. Do you imaging how rare was to find something of Paul Gilbert????
Well God was with me this day and that was my first meeting with Paul music. From this day he was my greatest music hero. Metal, pop, rock... doesn't matter what music he plays, I run to buy his albums


Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:44 pm
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 3793
Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Post 
Motorman wrote:
Lets start.... I live in Argentina and let me tell you that a few years ago (back in 1987) things don't came that easy for guitar players. Today, with Internet you have Guitar Pro, Power Tab, Tab Books. These days we only have EARS and not too much information, but destiny finds his ways and someday walking in the streets of Buenos Aires I find a Guitar Player magazine with a little plastic disc, let me tell you that even find a Guitar Player magazine was pretty rare back in these days. Our country was close to imported material from other countries and neither publish music besides big bands (Kiss, Maiden, Judas). If they don't do it with bands like Motley Crue or Metallica or Malmsteen, they don't even know of the existence of Racer X. But like I tell you before destiny finds his way and when I here this disc where Racer X plays Scarified my days as Guitar Player change forever. I don't find the exact words to tell you how it was to be a hard rock music fan this days in Argentina. For example, we have only one magazine that covers this type of music and the information wasn't accurate (They make a false interview with Vivian Campbell where the ask ¿How it was to be a female guitar player?, YES for long time we thought Vivian Campbel was a woman!!!!!! We don't have videos neither. Do you imaging how rare was to find something of Paul Gilbert????
Well God was with me this day and that was my first meeting with Paul music. From this day he was my greatest music hero. Metal, pop, rock... doesn't matter what music he plays, I run to buy his albums


Glad you did :)


Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Motorman
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:50 am
Posts: 255
Location: Spain
Post 
I listened to a Paul Gilbert lesson in Total Guitar... he played superheroes intro and main riff. At that moment I fell in love with Gilbert's tone and superheroes' riff so I thought "man, I have to listen to something by these guys"... and then I fell in love with racer X :P


Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:23 pm
Profile
Superhero
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:49 am
Posts: 1888
Location: Sydney
Post 
do you still have that video string killer? any chance for an upload? :P

_________________
Image

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"


Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:38 pm
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 2311
Location: Austria?
Post 
Sir Robin wrote:
where did you order yours?!


I've got news for you: My SOD 2 CD came today and in the packing slip it said that it's actually coming from www.dvdlegacy.com

try this: http://www.dvdlegacy.com/v2006/view.asp ... US&home=CD

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/guitardouchebaggery <--my stupid channel


Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:53 pm
Profile
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 6579
Location: Norwegian living in Liverpool, UK
Post 
ßrono wrote:
do you still have that video string killer? any chance for an upload? :P


It wasn't a video, just a CD-clip :)

_________________
Image

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.


Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:57 pm
Profile
Promises to use Search button

Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 11:54 pm
Posts: 8
Location: Paradise of my Mind
Post 
I like to take a gamble on cds. My basic formula is Fast guitars + Live album = Pretty safe bet. I heard Paul Gilbert was fast and decided to purchase Live: Extreme Volume 1 on a whim... JACKPOT. I've been a Racer X/Paul Gilbert addict ever since.


Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:30 am
Profile
Dr. X
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:52 pm
Posts: 191
Post 
Does anyone have any of the TG lessons mp3's that they would be willing to upload?

_________________
Image


Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:49 am
Profile
Motorman
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:50 am
Posts: 255
Location: Spain
Post 
SambaBoy wrote:
ßrono wrote:
do you still have that video string killer? any chance for an upload? :P


It wasn't a video, just a CD-clip :)


that's right, but it sounded awesome... there was another one a few months after that where he played street lethal, but the tab was Horrible, hopefuly I saw a video of paul playing it


Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:29 pm
Profile
Promises to use Search button

Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:45 am
Posts: 4
Post 
I'm relatively new to Racer X and go into them because of some of the guys on the Triumph message board mentioned Paul Gilbert, so I looked into his stuff, I only have 3 albums of his-Burning Organ, Lean Into It, and Street Lethal. Which gives a variety I guess since its three different bands. Oh...I'm only 18 so its not like I just missed them in the '80s...I just wasn't born yet haha, I'm a huge Triumph/Rik Emmett fan also.

_________________
fight the good fight every moment, every minute everyday, fight the good fight every moment, make it worth the price we pay


Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:33 am
Profile
Promises to use Search button

Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:14 pm
Posts: 1
Post 
Well, It all started when I was five. When I was growing, my brothers would constantly play guitar so I was brought up in an enviroment full of guitar stuff and guitar mania. I knew all about Joe Satriani (I used to refer to him as Joe 'ani' at my young age.) and Steve Vai, and more guys like Yngwie Malmsteen, and Paul Gilbert from Mr. Big. My brother at one point brought the Paul Gilbert Intense Rock 2 Video (the one with 'Down to Mexico' and the awesome solo at the end) I knew all about Mr. Big and Paul Gilbert from then on.....EXCEPT Racer X.

So I pretty much knew all the great guitarists as well as Paul Gilbert. So, obviously my love for Heavy Metal and Guitar Music in general just came natural to me as I grew to the age of eight. That's pretty much when I started guitar. My older brother met this guy who was pretty much the guitar virtuoso of a suburb of New Zealand. He told my brother about a legendary band named "Racer X". (Back then, the guy made it sound like a legend, a myth, something from the bible....it could've just been my imagination though). Ordering Racer X from shops proved impossible from any area.

When I turned 14, me and my brother looked on the internet. We had ways of listening to Racer X. I'm now 17, and me and my brother play Scarified together practicing. So yeah..........

...that's pretty much my life story also, as well as how I found out who Racer X was. Lol. :D

Oh, and I'm still trying to find Racer X CD's from music stores.

_________________
I play as fast as my grandma, she's faster!


Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:55 pm
Profile
Unt! I'm a Moderator.
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:21 am
Posts: 8618
Location: Las Gárgolas, California
Post 
ma2003 wrote:
My older brother met this guy who was pretty much the guitar virtuoso of a suburb of New Zealand. He told my brother about a legendary band named "Racer X". (Back then, the guy made it sound like a legend, a myth, something from the bible....it could've just been my imagination though).


I like this. :lol:

_________________
Jason Kahrs
October 1, 1973 - January 5, 2010
Rest In Peace My Friend


Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.