View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Why did you start listening to Racer X? 
Godzilla

Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:06 am
Dr. X

Hello all, my first post here. I'll get straight to the point:

I'm a pretty new Racer X fan. This guitar forum which I visit has loads of Paul Gilbert/Racer X/Mr. Big fanatics. So I download a few PG/RX songs (namely Superheroes, Technical Difficulties, Viking Kong, Gilberto Concerto, and Down to Mexico). I liked what I heard. So I went out and bought TD, Superheroes, and PG's Flying Dog. :shock: :shock:

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:04 pm
Promises to use Search button

I originally started listening for two different reasons:

1 - Our drummer's little brother, at that time, had the first album, and I was blown away by the musicianship.

2 - Somewhere around those years (not sure which came first. The 80s are a blur!), I was getting into this local band by the name of Giant, since my buddy's cousin was the guitarist, and I thought they were great. At one time, I had heard that this was supposedly Paul Gilbert's old band, and that my bud's cuz was his replacement, when he left.

I had seen Giant, locally, at a club called City Limits a time or two, and really thought they had what it took. For some reason, (and I'm not sure why), I had totally forgotten about the Paul Gilbert / Giant correlation, and just gotten my copy of Second Heat. The first time through the cassette, something caught my attention: I SWORE that I had heard "Living The Hard Way" already, before. But where? Hmm... It actaully sounded like a Giant tune, to me. And that's when it occurred to me: Didn't Paul Gilbert USED to be in Giant? If I remember, I looked at the credit listing, and Lo and behold, there was Dave Gonzales's (Giant's lead singer) name, listed for the song "Living The Hard Way". In the Pittsburgh suburbs, you don't get to see many local faces "make it", so that has always been nice for me to see. :)

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:43 am
Promises to use Search button

Post How I found Racer X
This may take a while, :D bear with me.
First, I have a mate who is nuts about Guns n Roses, and anything connected to them. Thus, Buckethead came into the picture. Next, he said that Buckethead had a site where Paul Gilbert was listed as an inspiration, so he asked me to check it out.

And the I heard Metal Dog/Technical Difficulties, and the Getting Heavier album. Somebody get me a therapist; I'm addicted.

By the way, I heard that Y.R.O. is Yngwie-rip-off, in that case, what is B.R.O.?

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
BOFH

Post Re: How I found Racer X
chipmunk wrote:
By the way, I heard that Y.R.O. is Yngwie-rip-off, in that case, what is B.R.O.?

Bach Rip Off

Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

big tom wrote:
chipmunk wrote:

Bach Rip Off

Haha, no way, he's kidding man, it really stands for Britney Rip-Off.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:40 pm
God Of The Sun

Speed_DemonX wrote:
big tom wrote:
chipmunk wrote:

Bach Rip Off

Haha, no way, he's kidding man, it really stands for Britney Rip-Off.

No way, It's Beyonce Rip Off

It is Bach Rip Off really :P

Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:32 pm
Viking Kong

I saw this thread, and realized that would be cool to the new members to tell us their stories...

mine is kindda funny:

I had a friend, whose brother is known as "the best guitar player in town". By the time, me and this friend were really into Rhapsody, so he lended me a MP3 CD with some Rhapsody songs, and some other stuff... "hey, take care, it's my brother's CD!"

So I got home, and saw that the CD had Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Savatage, Black Sabbath and Racer X. I just passed everything to my PC, but never worried about the bands I didn't know. I would listen to Rhapsody, Blind Guardian and Black Sabbath. Savatage was kindda cool, and Racer X...They had lots of songs WITHOUT vocals...that was SO weird!

Time passes, I start taking guitar lessons, and a friend of mine who's a bass play says: "hey, check this song I'm trying to learn, it's from that Racer X band!"
Drum intro...then...Scarified!
I was like, "hey...you can't play the whole thing, is this song this hard?" :lol:

The same day, I got home and put all the Racr X MP3's to play on WINAMP, and some song cought my attention...another drum intro...it was TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES!

from this day on...I started getting more and more into Racer X....until I transform from what I am today!

:chew:

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:38 am
Profile YIM
Dr. X

Ive only heard of Paul gilbert last time and my dad was in england for my brothers graduation so he saw some Racer X cds on sale at HMV (getting heavier and technical difficulties) i asked him to buy them back for me and i started loving them...

Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:53 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

I was taking some videos from this mirc-channel on dalnet when that thing was hot...
one guy had many awesome guitar videos like yngwie, michael romeo and other videos with "amazing" and "super fast" in its name.. i took all the videos except "Fire of rock racer x snowball" or something like that... i hesitated at first but then i took it - it was ok.
but i didnt know if the band was called racer x, fire of rock or snowball of doom :) i guess someone else had some mp3s i downloaded.. since then ive bought many pg and racer x cds - thanks the internet ;)

Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:11 pm
Viking Kong

I got RX through the Gilbert column in Total Guitar :lol:

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:19 pm
Superhero

I hold the hand in the way Paul does when i do fast picking...my teacher said that's wrong and he named Paul....
So i listened to Acoustic Samurai and really liked those sounds, so listened to goomy and the other CDs..a few weeks ago my cousin has given to me "Superhero" and i'm listeni' to...it's a great album, definitely one of my favourite!

Amazing Racer X!

Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Ok, here's my quite weird story how I got to know of Racer X:

At that time the queens of the stone age were my favourite band, I was listening to "Songs for the deaf" a lot.
I wanted to buy my first quality guitar and was thinking what pickups I'll put in. Since Josh Homme of QOTSA was playing the Dimarzio Super 2 in the neck position I wanted a Super 2 in the neck. For the bridge I thought of getting the Super Distortion, since it says on the Dimarzio page "blabla the Super 2 is like the Super Distortion plus more treble", it thought it would be a good match.
To check if the Super Distortion is a good choice I went to the Harmony Central reviews of that pickup. In one of the reviws one guy said "I'm using the Super Distortion, the same pickup that Paul Gilbert is using with Racer X to play those super fast solos..."

And I was thinking:"Paul Gilbert? Thats that guy from that Vivaldi tapping videoclip. He's playing in a band?!" (Really stupid, I know :lol: . At time I was thinking Paul Gilbert is only teaching and I only knew that vivaldi tapping lesson...)

So I listened to the song "Street Lethal" and was thinking "This is the best guitar solo ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
And by now I almost own all Racer X albums.
I'm only missing the SoDII CD, but it's already ordered 8)

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:12 pm
Superhero

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:14 pm
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)

Here is mine:

Me and my classmates would burn theese dvd`s with various junks, funny movies etcetera. He knowd i played guitar, so he burnt some Guitar Pro files to the dvd.

And at the time i was like 100% Focused on Metallica, like "There is no one that can play faster than Kirk! He is the best guitarplayer in the world!" and i digged Rammstein ALOT for their hardness!

So anyway, i checked some random folders with tabs and i found this folder called RacerX and in there lay a single file... Technical Difficulties. So i was like "hmm RacerX must be some kind of old nintendo game... il check it later" so i browsed trough the movie soundtrack folder and laugted that there was tabs there for the MacGuyver and M.A.S.H . But when i got tired of it i returned to the RacerX folder and listened to it... and i was REALLY sceptic aboute other guitarplayers than kirk but this guy really impressed me... And in the guitartrack in guitarpro it stood the name Paul Gilbert there so i googled RacerX upp and found the site.

I was wondering how this song sounded by the band RacerX and thank god it was audio clips on the site. And i was like :shock: ! its EVEN FASTER THAN THE TAB! (And the tab was the fastest guitarplaying i have ever seen). So i got some songs and man i listened and checked youtube every day for new videos!

Thats my story! Paul really teached me how to play, as i play today... His thanks to his screaming fast melodic music and his instructional videos!

Thanks Paul Gilbert!

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

was looking up stuff on either an ibanez rg or a pgm and i found this forum. then i looked up the band. sad story lol

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
God Of The Sun

Those stories are all very interesting, everyone has a different story 8)

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

A while back I was really into punk and some metal like Slayer and stuff. I had been playing guitar for about a year and I remember the summer after I started and before I learnt about Paul and RX I started looking at lessons on this band called the Toy Doll's website. I used to worship the guitarist and I was completely blown away by their solos and songs.

It was like September of 2005 and my cousin (he used to be into punk too and he would normally bring this gigantic case with like 200 cds) came over to my house and all he had was a small little cd case with 1 blank cd that said "shred mix" he was just barely getting into it so even he didn't know most of the songs but I just ripped it not knowing what "shred" was at the time.

The only song he showed me was Concerto by Cacophony and since before then Toy Dolls were my guitar heroes, I WAS FUCKING BLOWN AWAY! My cousin could actually play the intro and the crazy sweeping section which today is still my favorite part of any song EVER. He left me with some tabs to practice it and I was listening to it nonstop for like 3 days. After that I started listening to the rest of the unnamed tracks. I listened to all but none really caught my attention, except for...

SUPERHEROES

The intro and the riffs were just mind numbing! I remember I was trying for like an hour to figure out anything that Jeff was saying :lol: Once I thought I figured a line out I would search it on a lyric site hoping to find out who it was by. :lol: :lol: :lol: After I finally found out I would never forget the awesome name RACER X! :twisted:

Things just went on from their I completely forgot about the mix cd until recently and I noticed that it had Scarified on it. After that week I practice my ass off trying to get anywhere near my new found gods.

Racer X and Cacophony really changed my entire life, hence Becker X Guitarist.

I really love Paul Gilbert and Jason Becker they really steered my life into the right direction. This board has helped me a lot too!

When I'm at guitar center and stuff and people ask me how I learned to play like I do I just say

"Racer X!!"

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

SambaBoy got me into Racer X and Paul Gilbert!

Thanks Samba aka. Jokke!

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:00 am
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
I remember I was trying for like an hour to figure out anything that Jeff was saying :lol: Once I thought I figured a line out I would search it on a lyric site hoping to find out who it was by. :lol: :lol: :lol: After I finally found out I would never forget the awesome name RACER X! :twisted:

Haha =) first time i heart Superheroes i was like "wtf... thats to high for a rock n roll star" haha =D Waiiiiistiiiiing yooour .... =D The guitar though where really cool so i endured the first vocal parts and then listened to the rest of the song =)

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next