View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Why does Racer X not get mainstream Exposure?! 
Dr. X

Post Why does Racer X not get mainstream Exposure?!
Hry Guyz, I was thinking about this and can't figure it out. Even though this is a Rap/Pop/Sucky Music world today...there is no reason Why Racer X shouldn't get main exposure on Classic and/or Alternative rock stations...its not like they are some crazy, prog/metal band [i.e. Dream theater (who I am obssesed with)], or any thing like that. So why is it that Racer X doesn't get radio play?

I must break you

Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:32 pm
Dr. X

I'm pretty sure you answered your own question with the Rap/Hip Hop/Sucky music jab...I hate it too...I'd love to turn the dial and hear Golden God blasting out...But instead we hear what is "popular"...

But I don't care so much about being able to hear the X on the radio, as much as I care what it would do for their TOURING careers...

Radio airplay = more album sales = tour...

But conversely you mentioned Dream Theater, another band a lot of us are heavily into...When's the last time you heard a DT song on the radio?...I'm thinkin it was "Pull me Under" about 6 years ago...So that kinda blows my whole = = = theory...

Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:15 pm
Viking Kong

believe me, I'm sure that everyone on here(except for maybe a few sadistic sumbitches) would LOVE to see Racer X in the mainstream. I would DIE if I walked into the local reord store and saw a big poster of them hanging on the wall....see them all in their Superhero get-ups....man, that would be rad. But like the Rick-meister said, it all depends on what's popular. I mean there are a lot of 80's fads going on right now(and the show I Love The Eighties is AWESOME!) so who knows, maybe well get lucky(punishded?) and have a new "resurgance" of 80's bands coming out....racer X being one of them. But that's unlikely. All we, as fans, can do is PROMOTE THE SHIT out them. Buy their albums for presents, send (i actually did this a few weeks ago) a burned cd with a few of their songs on it to a local radio station(I did it to Rock 105.3). Just do what you can to get their name out there. You never know, they might be the next Boxcar Racer. X.

Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:19 am
Dr. X

#1. Radio airplay = more album sales = tour...

#2. But conversely you mentioned Dream Theater, another band a lot of us are heavily into...When's the last time you heard a DT song on the radio?...I'm thinkin it was "Pull me Under" about 6 years ago...So that kinda blows my whole = = = theory...

For #1...exactly, thats why I wish they were mainstream...so I could see them on tour.
#2. I never heard a DT song on the radio. I am 17 years old, and didn't get into heavy metal until 6/7 grade (12 or 13 years old)...so "Pull Me under" was on mtv and the radio in '92...so I was 6 years old.

Speaking of pull me under, I don't even like that song that much...its not bad...but for DT, that is extremely mellow as far as insane instrumental solos, odd time signatures and odd time changes go.

I must break you

Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:43 am
IP Banned

it's because 12 year old girls determine what's popular. they're all poopy heads in my opinion! :twisted:

Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:34 am
Viking Kong

it's because 12 year old girls determine what's popular. :twisted:

NO they don't... 40-50 year old record execs do...X

Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:27 pm
Viking Kong

chemical_ali wrote:

ROFL!!!

Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:46 pm
Site Admin

chemical_ali wrote:

You are BOTH right.

40-50 record execs try to figure out what 12 year old girls will like.

Regards,
Ken

Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
IP Banned

xelatunes, what's the big idea with you cutting out the poopyheads part when you quoted me?!?!

Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:40 pm
Viking Kong

Xelatunes wrote:
chemical_ali wrote:

You are BOTH right.

40-50 record execs try to figure out what 12 year old girls will like.

Figure schmigure... They PAY the likes of MTV and radio to cram their "concocted artists" down their throats every 20 minutes so the "12 year old sheep" are forced to believe... "well gee, it MUST BE COOL if MTV/TRL plays it so much, Yeah I like it!!!..."... :roll: :x

Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:23 pm
Site Admin

Why are you guys all struggling to understand this?

Lead guitar based rock and metal is out. I've said it before. Music moves in cycles. It will come back. It's not worth being pissed about, but do what you must.

-Chad

Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:57 pm
Motorman

the boys in racer x dont have boobies....thats the main problem

Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:20 pm
Unt! I move topics!

Lead guitar based rock and metal is out. I've said it before. Music moves in cycles. It will come back. It's not worth being pissed about, but do what you must.

-Chad

Why isn't it worth being pissed about? Music is very important to me. It totally sucks that for over a decade being a good musician has been "uncool."

I have to turn your statement around on you, Chad. Why are you so surprised that people that frequent a Racer X board, most of whom are musicians themselves, would be pissed off about the sorry state of music?

Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I thought all you people listen to the likes of SOAD and Marilyn Manson. You're contributing to the pathetic excuses for "musicians" being generated today. It's "cool" to make riffs that an untrained monkey could play with his eyes closed, and it's "cool" to buy them. Well I say f**k that bs and listen to some decent music, or should I just say listen to some MUSIC.

The state of today's music is due completely to ignorance. I used to think solos were stupid and only listened to crappy bands because I thought they had a good heavy tone. I had no idea about people like PG and Satch, and no concept of what music actually was. If the stupid music channels would play a few old songs, leads might start to catch on. It makes me sick when people hear someone like Tom Morello make noise for 20 seconds and call it a 'solo', then say 'he's an awesome guitarist'.

People need to know what real lead playing is :!: I was 'converted', so it could happen to anyone - they just need to be exposed to the right kind of music.

Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:41 pm
Profile YIM
Godzilla

You know I hate to explode a myth here but when was shredding ever "in"? "Back in the day" press was limited to a few select magazines (guitarworld, guitar player, guitar for the practicing musician) and even that was limited to Shrapnel ads, very small articles, some reviews and the rare tab. There were WAY more articles on guys looking like they belonged in female roles in a russ meyers or roger corman movie-- i.e. Roxx Gang, Poison, Hellion, etc.)

How many shredders landed on major labels? I can only think of a few Tony Macalpine (Squawk/Polygram), Vinnie Moore (Squawk/Polygram) and Yngwie (Polygram, Elektra.) All of the others kind of carried on in indie-land. (I know about Vai and Satriani, but Vai had sold millions of cds with Roth and Zappa before he was signed and he helped Satch get his deal. I also believe it a stretch to refer to Relativity as a major label.)

The simple fact of it is that since the late 70's (yet another damn thing to blame on disco) when old white guy's figured out by marketing music to teen-age girls they can make a lot of money (or more likely Xela is correct dictating to) that dictates whats crammed down our throats and they sheep flock to. If you think for a moment I am incorrect compare the sales of Psuedo Echo, the Escape Club, Backstreet Boys, Milli Viilli, Howard Johnson, Britney, Jessica Simpson, Timberlake to those of Yngwie, Vinnie Moore, and Tony Macalpine. (I tried to pick one-hit wonders but ran out towards the end.)

There have been some bright spots (the shredders listed above) and some bands with decent/great sales who have some screaming guitarists (Mr, Big, Extreme, Savatage, Testament, Megadeth, Ozzy, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, and so on) but for the most part the monkeys are running the show.

What to do? I am quite pissed off about it but rather than curse at my tv or radio I turn the damn things off. I play the music that I want to listen to, I actually BUY their cds, go to their shows, tell my friends about them, make them BUY their cds (nobody rides for free,) and bring them to the shows. Most important when some punk comes up blasting the "flavor of the day" I send a volley of Criss Oliva back in his direction. I'm quite thankful that some good music actually exists and I am able to purchase it and I am not stuck with MTV's play-list as a listening guide. Thank God for Racer X, Symphony X and all the other X's out there!! :wink:

Maybe music will come around and have talented musicians, maybe not. But I think the real moral of the story is that if you see a 13-year old girl, giver her a Racer X cd.

P.S. If you have no idea who Corman/Meyers are I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Though they've given me hours of really, really cheap laughs.

P.S.S If you don't know who Criss Oliva is I am sorry.

Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:06 am
Unt! I move topics!

You know I hate to explode a myth here but when was shredding ever "in"?

How many shredders landed on major labels?

If you want to limit the discussion to "shred," then I agree that it was never "in." And it never will be. Particularly if your definition of shred encompasses primarily instrumental music (as exemplified by Satriani, MacAlpine, Becker, Howe, Moore, Chastain, et al).

But guitar driven music with great guitar solos sold tons of records in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Perry, Nugent, Van Halen, Rhoads, DiMartini, Lynch, Smith/Murray, Tipton/Downing, Slash, Gibbons, Vaughan, etc. - these guys sold millions of records during that time period. And all of them were on major labels. And all of them were played on the radio and many were on MTV. And they toured the country and sold-out arenas and sometimes stadiums.

But in the last ten years, real guitar based rock (not to be confused with Nu-metal) has been nearly killed off. And I'm pissed about it.

Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

naturallywiredwebdesigns wrote:

-Chad

Why isn't it worth being pissed about? Music is very important to me. It totally sucks that for over a decade being a good musician has been "uncool."

I have to turn your statement around on you, Chad. Why are you so surprised that people that frequent a Racer X board, most of whom are musicians themselves, would be pissed off about the sorry state of music?

I agree with it, I just don't let it bother me. Ain't shit I can do to change it, so I fuckin' go with it.

-Chad

Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:11 am
Godzilla

Quote:
If you want to limit the discussion to "shred," then I agree that it was never "in." And it never will be. Particularly if your definition of shred encompasses primarily instrumental music (as exemplified by Satriani, MacAlpine, Becker, Howe, Moore, Chastain, et al).

But guitar driven music with great guitar solos sold tons of records in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Perry, Nugent, Van Halen, Rhoads, DiMartini, Lynch, Smith/Murray, Tipton/Downing, Slash, Gibbons, Vaughan, etc. - these guys sold millions of records during that time period. And all of them were on major labels. And all of them were played on the radio and many were on MTV. And they toured the country and sold-out arenas and sometimes stadiums.

I guess I was trying the discussion to narrow to "shred." Meaning bands that were on boutique labels like Leviathan and Shrapnel. Bands that the sole promotion was on the guitarists ability and nothing else (even the bands with singers, i.e. Masi, Impelleterri, Yngwie.) Since, whether we like it or not Racer X will always be lumped into that category (especially as they are still on Shrapnel in the US) and the topic started about their lack of popularity. Racer X did shred better than all of them but they had GREAT songs. Of the mid-late 80's Shrapnel bands they were the only one that didn't sound like the vocals/lyrics were a total afterthought (Cacaophony is a great example of what I am talking about.)

On the larger topic you are totaly on the money!! The technical ability of musicans performing popular music has decreased substaintally since 1992 (with a few exceptions.) Too much emphasis on "feel" vs. "technique" which is a total bs argument. Technique gives you the ability to express how you feel. Otherwise it is like trying to communicate in a language but only learning every third letter of it's alphabet. However, all technique and no emotion is about as exciting as having a root canal without anesthetic. (Many people come to mind, but most of them working at Dairy Queen now and probably don't need the extra kick to the ego.)

Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:36 am
Dr. X

yes the issue is that teenagers are not being inspired to pick up an axe :?

Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:55 pm
Profile ICQ
King Of The Monsters

Image Image

Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next