View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Long-time board members need your help: Las Vegas PG photos 
Site Admin

Post Long-time board members need your help: Las Vegas PG photos
Hey guys...hope all of you are doing well.

In 2004 when Ken and I were at PG's house for the recording of the GH record, I shot photos of each of PG's guitars individually.

Somehow over the past few years (and more than one or two new Mac computers) I managed to lose those guitar photos.

If anyone out there saved them or re-posted them, could you either post them here or email me at [email protected]?

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:15 am
Motorman

Post Re: Long-time board members need your help: Las Vegas PG pho
Repost! I would like them toooo

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:50 am
Superhero

Still looking!
Found that motorman clip though!

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:58 am
Site Admin

Chad,

I even looked on the server through every folder.....I don't understand where they went. I thought for sure I'd find them buried somewhere.

Regards,
Ken

Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

what a shame. I'd have loved to see these...

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:25 pm
Queen Dork of the board

I asked for these guitar pictures back when we were all working on the now-folded PGM Documentation Project. This included sending a PM to Chad. He never replied, which is probably because as it is now revealed, he lost the pictures.

Plan B: Call Paul and beg / ask to go to his collection (wherever it is) and photograph it. While you wait for a reply, Mr. Muttley and Lady Killer can provide you with old (or new) photos of Paul's various Racer X axes. James Chiang, Stringskipper, and Ken could also help out because they own guitars that Paul used to own.

Plan C: There is a 100% Racer X issue of ... Young Guitar? (it was released in Japan) That has pictures of all of Paul's collection, pre sell-off. You could buy the magazine, or borrow it from Paul or some other forum member, and then write to Shinko and ask them if you could use some of the images for whatever you're planning... I'm going to guess a site revamp, based on the re-release schedule... :)

... obviously you see why I scrapped the photo idea part of the PGM Documentation Project. Too many logistics, too difficult! Maybe someone with more motivation will do an awesome job with this.

Good luck!

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:01 pm
Viking Kong

A lot of those gutiars are gone now... what a shame...

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:49 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

If nothing else Flying Dino, you are very thorough & meticulous.

Pretty impressive.

I hope this problem will have a happy ending.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:27 am
Queen Dork of the board

During the final stages of the PGM Documentation Project, where I was cataloging all of Paul's past guitars, here is where I was ultimately pointed, by some fans from this forum.

http://web.archive.org/web/200412292125 ... msite.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/200501010419 ... index.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200412282259 ... m/pgms.htm

The directory 'bigimages' where the pics reside, does not exist anymore, even on the Web Archive (wayback machine, whatever you call it).

The best guess I had at the time, given his lack of interest or reply, was that Chad had a falling out with Racer X and deleted everything... sigh. It happens, so I moved on.

Thank you, Rich. I try and I do my best. What I like about this forum is that if I'm wrong, someone always jumps in with the right answer. It makes me look like an ass, but I'm used to that here! The better concept is that the right answer is quickly revealed, which benefits everyone.

I would say, the 100% Racer X issue of Young Guitar, the 100 Guitar Rock issue as well, and re-shooting select guitars of Paul's, will be the answer to this problem.

Additional info. : Um... Cowtown? Guitars in NV, where Paul consigned a lot of these, might have some info. As awful as Ken has made him, Tim Findlay might have some historical or background info. that could be useful. You won't be able to use the photos (or would not want to credit him in a bibliography?) but you can still pick his brain and maybe he'll have some leads. Don't forget to talk to Bruce and Chris Arvan - both can help. Anyone who had significant musical interaction with Paul up to the 'photo shoot point' in 2002 is fair game to talk to - it includes Billy Sheehan who might have a different perspective then others. Billy *does* answer his email... usually one-liners, but a few of those are good enough if you ask the right questions! :)

Best of luck!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:39 am
Viking Kong

If they were on PGMSite, it might be worth trying Eddie (EKG). Although it was Chad who helped set the site up, Eddie might have copies of the pictures?

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:19 am
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

flying-dino wrote:
Plan B: Call Paul and beg / ask to go to his collection (wherever it is) and photograph it.

That would seem like a plan, except we photographed all 100+ guitars...even stuff he didn't have on display in his room. Sadly, most of the guitars are gone...he doesn't own many of them anymore.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

KenHower wrote:
flying-dino wrote:
Plan B: Call Paul and beg / ask to go to his collection (wherever it is) and photograph it.

That would seem like a plan, except we photographed all 100+ guitars...even stuff he didn't have on display in his room. Sadly, most of the guitars are gone...he doesn't own many of them anymore.

What's the reason behind selling them, probably common knowledge? but I don't know.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:09 pm
Queen Dork of the board

@black: He was moving, so it was said that he was selling them to destash / downsize his collection, and get some money to help finance the move.

I wonder this. First, Paul saw fit to cull and sell those guitars from his collection. Second, not a single forum member including admins has saved the images of Paul's old axe collection. Third, Paul still collects guitars and still has a collection worthy of interest: Vintage Guitar mag. just spoke to him recently about it. So, is it really that important that his old guitars have found new homes? Is it really sad? Maybe a better approach to whatever project that was in mind is a "that was then, this is now" perspective. This is the approach Ibanez took in 2009 with the reissues: check out their ad (young Paul next to current Paul). I mean, we're not sitting here going "oh man, Paul doesn't wear spandex or poofy hair anymore, he got rid of that stuff, it's so sad." The spandex & big hair was apparently a big part of the old Racer X image - like the brightly colored guitars. Paul has changed and matured through the years and our focus has followed him. We still have lots of quotes from Paul about his old collection, so the actual information is not lost. I guess I wonder why there is mourning when there could be progression. If you shot his collection & spoke to him in-depth nowadays, you'd probably have more interest because Paul has invested more time in to it, and places more value on it, then before. *shrug*

If you must go on with the old ideas: Shinko *does* have pictures, and video of all his old guitars. :) It would be a worthy attempt to try to talk to EKG, and worthy to ask Vintage Guitar mag. (Oscar Jordan) - maybe they know something. But your best resource remains Paul, and even if you don't have illustrations / pics, you still can ask him about the collection of old. Books didn't always have pictures in them, and they are still good without them. :) Paul's "memory lane" remains untapped - it is a golden resource, and straight to us (the fans) from the source... the best possible quality.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:38 pm
Superhero

Fuck me, it's only some pics! Seen one PGM...

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:55 am
Unt! I move topics!

Chad Dyer wrote:
Hey guys...hope all of you are doing well.

In 2004 when Ken and I were at PG's house for the recording of the GH record, I shot photos of each of PG's guitars individually.

Somehow over the past few years (and more than one or two new Mac computers) I managed to lose those guitar photos.

If anyone out there saved them or re-posted them, could you either post them here or email me at [email protected]?

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Here are the ones I managed to save, this is all I could find, this is all that was available in 2009/2010, I can't believe they are all gone :( ...and I still cannot believe Paul gave away his Pink Epi just like that... :cry:

Anyway here are 7 pics including The TELESAVALAS & PINK ICEMAN!! :mrgreen:

Hope this helps, if I find any more I will be sure to add them here. :)

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:26 pm
Superhero

Man it's so pink :lol:

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

That Ghostrider is awesome.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:58 pm
God Of The Sun

Found this in an old post here:

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:37 pm
Site Admin

Thanks guys...all the feedback is appreciated! For the LIFE of me I can't figure out how I have all the Vegas photos I took but not the guitar photos. It sucks.

Any additional help is appreciated!

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next