View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Guitar Duel c.1985 (cool story) 
Viking Kong

Post Re: Guitar Duel c.1985 (cool story)
Xelatunes wrote:
Ahh the infamous VERNON STUDIOS..... I was in a couple of bands that rehearsed in the same building...Other than RX and King Kobra, other notables from the scene back then that also rehearsed there were Leatherwolf, Warrant, Odin, Armored Saint and an early version of the Bullet Boys... There were a few others too that I can't think of at the moment...

Hey, I was in a band that had a room at the Vernon studios as well. I didn't realize that was the place he was talking about. I'll never forget that horrible stench from the Farmer John's slaughter house down the street as we would pass it by on the way there. Pheeeeeew! :shock:

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:41 pm
Viking Kong

LoQ wrote:
Xelatunes wrote:
Ahh the infamous VERNON STUDIOS..... I was in a couple of bands that rehearsed in the same building...Other than RX and King Kobra, other notables from the scene back then that also rehearsed there were Leatherwolf, Warrant, Odin, Armored Saint and an early version of the Bullet Boys... There were a few others too that I can't think of at the moment...

Hey, I was in a band that had a room at the Vernon studios as well. I didn't realize that was the place he was talking about. I'll never forget that horrible stench from the Farmer John's slaughter house down the street as we would pass it by on the way there. Pheeeeeew! :shock:

Yup...The very same... Ahh Farmer Johns, where 90% of the workers are all vegetarians......lol :twisted:

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:39 pm
Unt! I move topics!

Xelatunes wrote:
LoQ wrote:
Xelatunes wrote:

Yup...The very same... Ahh Farmer Johns, where 90% of the workers are all vegetarians......lol :twisted:

Believe it or not, I've been inside that slaughter house - it smells a hell of a lot worse inside than it does driving by.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

TheSurgeon wrote:

Believe it or not, I've been inside that slaughter house - it smells a hell of a lot worse inside than it does driving by.

:shock: Doc....... I'm not even gonna ask brutha.......lol :twisted:

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:26 am
Viking Kong

Anyone have pictures of this place?

(The studio building, not the slaughterhouse.... :P)

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:11 am
Viking Kong

Rich wrote:
Anyone have pictures of this place?

(The studio building, not the slaughterhouse.... :P)

Jeeze, it's been around 20 years since I've been to, or seen the place, but I'm pretty sure this is it. Just click the link and then "Street View" :wink:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&wrapi ... CBMQnwIwAA

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:55 pm
Viking Kong

Wow. A seemingly uneventful place, where musical history has happened. :shock:

Thanks for the link, Q!

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:49 pm
Viking Kong

Yeah it looks like shit.
I expected a giant building with a giant neon shaped into a guitar and photos of Yngwie Malmsteen everywhere.

Well okay maybe not that much, but I expected the place to look more like a hip place to be when you're a musician.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:03 am
Search Button God!

That could be the slaughterhouse ;)

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:07 am
Viking Kong

Lamer wrote:
That could be the slaughterhouse ;)

It's definitely not the slaughterhouse. The slaughterhouse actually had a mural painted on the front with a very cheerful farm scene with a bunch of happy pigs, farmers, etc. All painted in bright happy colors. It’s such a happy scene that I’m sure some people would have a hard time believing it was a slaughterhouse if not for the horrible stench.

I found some pics of it so you can see for yourself…

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:54 pm
Motorman

Good god that is a bizarre mural.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:57 pm
Viking Kong

Acid Wire wrote:
Yeah it looks like shit.
I expected a giant building with a giant neon shaped into a guitar and photos of Yngwie Malmsteen everywhere.

Well okay maybe not that much, but I expected the place to look more like a hip place to be when you're a musician.

That's actually the back of the building (not that the front is that much better. :lol: ) But as stated earlier, its in an industrial area so there wasn't much to look at and nothing that made it stand out (which is why I had a bit of trouble identifying at first when searching it out for Rich). However the place was quite impressive as far as lock out rehearsal spaces go. Secure, clean, spacious, and since the area is industrial there wasn't anyone around there at night, which means you don't have to watch your back every 10 seconds.

There was another legendary lockout rehearsal space located in Hollywood off of Hollywood Blvd and Western Avenue that we had a room in which was really fucking scary! That neighborhood was one of the worst in Hollywood and the place itself was really run down. It consisted of several floors above a real seedy pool hall (called Hollywood Billiards). It was filthy, rundown, had no security and a good portion of the bands rehearsing there actually lived there as well which was against the law (a fact known and ignored by the owners). The place wasn’t fit for living, it was moldy, scummy, and because it had no bathing facilities it wasn’t unusual when you went to use the bathroom that you would run into someone giving themselves a sponge bath in the sink. That place was really fucked up, and being jumped in that neighborhood was commonplace.

Compared to that hell hole, the Vernon studios with its bland and boring exterior and zero nighttime foot traffic was absolute paradise. :wink:

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:51 pm
Superhero

The mural is just disturbing!

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:53 pm
Motorman

Nitefly wrote:

I would be bothered, if it wasn't for the PIG FLYING AN AIRPLANE.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:22 am
Viking Kong

Jerhova wrote:
Nitefly wrote:

I would be bothered, if it wasn't for the PIG FLYING AN AIRPLANE.

LOL

that's my favorite pig!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:55 am
Profile YIM
Search Button God!

Nitefly wrote:

I think it's awesome :D

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:40 am
Viking Kong

Lamer wrote:
Nitefly wrote:

I think it's awesome :D

Yeah who knew Farmer John had such a sweet sense of irony? That mural's been redone (probably several times) through the years... The "family scene" or the chick with the big boobs and daisy dukes walking the pig never used to be up there....lol

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:39 pm
Viking Kong

LoQ wrote:
Acid Wire wrote:
Yeah it looks like shit.

That's actually the back of the building (not that the front is that much better. :lol: ) But as stated earlier, its in an industrial area so there wasn't much to look at and nothing that made it stand out (which is why I had a bit of trouble identifying at first when searching it out for Rich). However the place was quite impressive as far as lock out rehearsal spaces go. Secure, clean, spacious, and since the area is industrial there wasn't anyone around there at night, which means you don't have to watch your back every 10 seconds.

There was another legendary lockout rehearsal space located in Hollywood off of Hollywood Blvd and Western Avenue that we had a room in which was really fucking scary! That neighborhood was one of the worst in Hollywood and the place itself was really run down. It consisted of several floors above a real seedy pool hall (called Hollywood Billiards). It was filthy, rundown, had no security and a good portion of the bands rehearsing there actually lived there as well which was against the law (a fact known and ignored by the owners). The place wasn’t fit for living, it was moldy, scummy, and because it had no bathing facilities it wasn’t unusual when you went to use the bathroom that you would run into someone giving themselves a sponge bath in the sink. That place was really fucked up, and being jumped in that neighborhood was commonplace.

Compared to that hell hole, the Vernon studios with its bland and boring exterior and zero nighttime foot traffic was absolute paradise. :wink:

I don't know "Q".... but I remember a few shady transactions going down around Vernon Studios too... True that it didn't compare to the dreggs of humanity at "Hollywood Billiards", but I remember a few guys that I knew of living at Vernon too, cars used to get broken into, and the worst was when bands used to try to have "after parties" at their rehearsal rooms and that's when things would get stupid because in came people that wouldn't normally be there and you add alcohol among other "recreational" items and it got out of hand a few times...

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:46 pm
Viking Kong

Xelatunes wrote:
LoQ wrote:
Acid Wire wrote:
Yeah it looks like shit.

I don't know "Q".... but I remember a few shady transactions going down around Vernon Studios too... True that it didn't compare to the dreggs of humanity at "Hollywood Billiards", but I remember a few guys that I knew of living at Vernon too, cars used to get broken into, and the worst was when bands used to try to have "after parties" at their rehearsal rooms and that's when things would get stupid because in came people that wouldn't normally be there and you add alcohol among other "recreational" items and it got out of hand a few times...

Oh I don’t doubt it at all. I know the place didn’t have a zero crime rate. I just said that since there was little foot traffic in that neighborhood at night, you didn’t have to watch your back every ten seconds worrying about getting jumped. But man, the Vernon studios were a big sigh of relief compared to Hollywood Billiards. It was the simple little things that one takes for granted like at the Vernon studios you could park your car right there in the parking lot and unload your gear with little worry (and if memory serves me correctly, I believe I remember that they had a freight elevator which was awesome for moving your gear to and from your studio in one trip) . Hollywood Billiards had no parking. You could either do street parking in a nearby neighborhood a block away, or park at the chicken place across the street and risk getting your car towed. Either way you then had to walk through the ‘hood from and to your car and hope for the best (especially if you happened to be carrying your guitar with you).

I really dug the Vernon studios and I'm pleased that they are still in buisness. :)

Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:15 pm
Viking Kong

Ha! This conversation's almost as interesting as the "guitar duel" story.
(Well, to me anyway. :oops: )

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next