View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Racer X and Mr. Big 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I like both bands not because of Paul. I discovered them because of Paul (because of Ibanez) but I never liked them just because Paul was there.

I love Racer X for the vocals. I have no idea why nobody believes me when I say that.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:49 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I love Racer X for the vocals. I have no idea why nobody believes me when I say that.

I believe you. Jeff Martin is one of my favorite vocalists ever.

and not just because he's the singer for Racer X...

and I'm in the same boat. The reason I love Racer X isn't because of Paul.. it's because they're RACER X. Hell if Racer X reunited today without Paul I would still be happy. (as long as the guitarist's name rhymes with "Moose Mooyay") :P

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Long post time, two quotes to cover, no editing... better do it right!
:lol:
Damn, Eric!

Well done!

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:51 pm
Viking Kong

do I join the band that will enable me to make a great living playing and creating music

Yeah well, it depends the kind of music you're into...
If Paul is satisfied composing Mr.Big songs that's good... I sure wouldn't be though.

And dammit, you can't do everything just for money, Paul could probably wipe his ass with 100$ bills now, after all the "To Be With You" Mr.Big has sold. I'm just guessing, but if most of the hillbillies in my country have heard this song, then he has to be rich, somehow. Does he really need to have that much more money?

[quote=Crusty Vagina][quote=Douchebag]And let's put it this way; if Paul DIDN'T join Mr Big, would 90% of the people on this board have heard about him?[/quote]

that's absolutely correct.[/quote]

Bullshit, I'm sure a lot of Paul's fanbase are shred heads who have heard of him through the shred world, be it Racer X or his solo albums. All the rest of the morons I cross know "To Be With You" when they hear it but can't put a name on the song, the band, and don't even think about them putting a name on the guitarist.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:12 pm
Viking Kong

Crusty Vagina wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
And let's put it this way; if Paul DIDN'T join Mr Big, would 90% of the people on this board have heard about him?

that's absolutely correct.

Bullshit, I'm sure a lot of Paul's fanbase are shred heads who have heard of him through the shred world, be it Racer X or his solo albums. All the rest of the morons I cross know "To Be With You" when they hear it but can't put a name on the song, the band, and don't even think about them putting a name on the guitarist.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:13 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I'm sure a lot of Paul's fanbase are shred heads who have heard of him through the shred world, be it Racer X or his solo albums. All the rest of the morons I cross know "To Be With You" when they hear it but can't put a name on the song, the band, and don't even think about them putting a name on the guitarist.

I'd say it nicely, but Acid's right. The majority of Paul's fans come from the shred world.

If you know Mr. Big by name/you know only the song To Be With You and Wild World or whatever power ballad Mr. Big had, you're probably Japanese.

If you know Mr. Big and you know the rest of their songs, you're probably Japanese, or you've been a Paul Gilbert/Racer X fan before Mr. Big and just followed him.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:44 pm
Dr. X

People seem to forget that the first Mr Big album was pretty shred heavy - To Be With You came a lot later than that :)

Everyone also seems to forget that practically all the Shrapnel shred guitarists were trying to get away from their "roots" around that time or a little later and go in a more "popular" direction - Howe, MacAlpine, Becker, Friedman, Kotzen...

Perhaps because they were all fed up with that style of music and wanted to branch out.....?

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:39 pm
Viking Kong

Acid Wire wrote:
I'm sure a lot of Paul's fanbase are shred heads who have heard of him through the shred world, be it Racer X or his solo albums. All the rest of the morons I cross know "To Be With You" when they hear it but can't put a name on the song, the band, and don't even think about them putting a name on the guitarist.

I'd say it nicely, but Acid's right. The majority of Paul's fans come from the shred world.

If you know Mr. Big by name/you know only the song To Be With You and Wild World or whatever power ballad Mr. Big had, you're probably Japanese.

If you know Mr. Big and you know the rest of their songs, you're probably Japanese, or you've been a Paul Gilbert/Racer X fan before Mr. Big and just followed him.

Not my point at all though. I didn't say that people knew Paul by hearing him in Mr Big, I ment that he got publicity both in mags and as a musician while being in Mr Big. I mean, seriously, how many Racer X fans existed in Europe in the 80's?

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:44 pm
Viking Kong

Acid Wire wrote:

I'd say it nicely

Don't let "Douchebag", "Crusty Vagina", and all the swearing fool you, I know Samba and Robin are cool so I'm not afraid to be a bit rough with them, I know they understand I don't mean 99.9% of all the swearing I write... otherwise I'd be the angriest dude on the planet! Acutally I am. I swear like a motherfucking sailor with Tourette's and I fucking kill dudes like you pick up the morning paper.

All that to say: I was saying it nicely too in my nice kind of way :D

Asswipe wrote:
Not my point at all though. I didn't say that people knew Paul by hearing him in Mr Big, I ment that he got publicity both in mags and as a musician while being in Mr Big. I mean, seriously, how many Racer X fans existed in Europe in the 80's?

Then again, I wonder the part magazines play in getting an artist famous...

Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:30 pm
Viking Kong

No hard feelings man. I'm not a fucking crybaby. :wink: I guess you know where I'm heading at though? :)

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14 pm
Godzilla

Well when I got into Racer X the first thing I heard was Street Lethal and then Second Heat and then EVL and I was blown away...than eventually I found out Racer X was finished after EVL and I could not believe that even with all their talent Racer X could not go on... then I found out Paul went on to play in Mr. Big.
So I got a hold of Mr. Big album and listened to the whole thing, to be honest at first I was disappointed that what used to be Heavy Metal became ‘’Bluesy Metal’’ but I do like Mr. Big songs. And Mr. Big did have more success than Racer X, I guess it’s because it was more ‘’radio friendly’’...
But I was even more disappointed in The Scream...I was expecting to hear some terrifying Bruce Bouillet arpeggio sweeps, but I did read that Bruce wanted to move away from Paul’s style and do his own thing...
He is still one of my favourite Guitarists along with Paul, Yngwie and Eddie!

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:47 pm
Unt! I move topics!

I was really sad that Paul left Racer X but I figured that pairing up with Sheehan would have to result in something amazing. I was extremely disappointed to hear the Mr. Big record. Addicted was the only song that I liked and it was a step down from anything Racer X had done.

I was not happy to hear Paul was rejoining Mr. Big. At all.

I don't hold any ill will towards Paul ... it's his life and he can do whatever makes him happy (or makes him some extra pocket money). But if it were up to me, Paul would reform Racer X and never mention Mr. Big ever again. :twisted:

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:33 am
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

I love Mr. Big (not as much as I love RX though, but MB it counts as a great band in my book)

Great songs, great musicians and awesome albums to hear at. I think they have many "hidden secrets"; and Paul´s playing is top notch in every sense of the word.

He gets the chance to play fast solos, but with lots of feeling and taste, and I think that it shows us a completely different approach to the electric guitar that what he does with RX.

The more things I hear Paul playing on, the more I know he is truly a genius, for he can surely kick ass in every music situation, without losing a bit of his guitar personality.

Image Image

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I love both RX & Mr. Big. It seems strange that they both have Paul Gilbert in them. Two completely different bands. It just shows hpw versatile Paul is. When I first got into Paul through Racer X, he completely changed the way I played solo-wise. Then when he started Mr. Big he showed me that you could still shred & play more mainstream songs. I'm in his debt. Can't wait to pick his brain.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Ken Hower wrote:
Mad At The World can also be heard on a Mr. Big album, as My Kinda Woman. Paul, thinking Racer X would never play again, used the music and Eric Martin wrote crappy words to replace Jeff Martin's (no relation) words. .

Don't get me wrong, I love both bands but much prefer Jeff's voice and the lyrics of Racer X.
The guitar/bass/drums i love equally for different reasons.
Though, I love the Mr. Big backing vocals more than those in Racer X! :P

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2