View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Racer X and Mr. Big 
Godzilla

Post Racer X and Mr. Big
Don't anybody get me wrong, I like Mr. Big, but I listen to Racer X and then I listen to Mr. Big, and I think, "How did Paul Gilbert go from Racer X to THIS?".

I'm not saying it's a BAD thing, but I find it just kind of amazing.

I heard Paul Gilbert with Mr. Big LONG before I heard him with Racer X, and when I first heard Racer X, I was just plain shocked.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:14 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I felt the same way after I actually first heard Mr. Big.. I mean I saw Paul play Daddy Brother Lover Littleboy on the Guitar From Mars video after I started listening to Racer X. So I was like cool this band sounds sweet. Then after my first Mr. Big album (I believe it was their self titled) I was really disappointed.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:16 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Completely different bands... I love both equally

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:51 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Of course, this is comparing Racer X and Mr. Big with Paul Gilbert. Obviously, Mr. Big with Richie Kotzen doesn't count.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:17 am
Motorman

That's PG though.... he loves playing fast and obviously has a real passion for playing 80's metal and melodic, fearsome guitar. That said however, he's pragmatic and smart - he wanted to make it big in a rock band and Mr Big provided that opportunity for him. Perhaps musically it wasn't what he would invent on his own, but it provided him with the means to tour with a band and play guitar for a living. Racer X, as much as I love their music and think they are the best band in the world at what they do, would never have been able make the $$ that Mr Big did. We all have to put food on the table!

Other than that though, he also has a pretty diverse musical palette - just check out the guitar center show he did and I reckon you will find the move isn't that out of left field for him.

For the record though, I'm not really that big of a fan of the Mr Big stuff in general, other than those that highlight Paul - Colorado Bulldog, Daddy Brother Little Boy, Addicted to that Rush, etc. But, there are a lot of little snippets of Paul in even the most cheesy power ballads that they have done (I love the intro Take my heart, but I turn it off after that LOL)...

Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:44 am
God Of The Sun

Post Re: Racer X and Mr. Big
Gringo300 wrote:
Don't anybody get me wrong, I like Mr. Big, but I listen to Racer X and then I listen to Mr. Big, and I think, "How did Paul Gilbert go from Racer X to THIS?".

I'm not saying it's a BAD thing, but I find it just kind of amazing.

I heard Paul Gilbert with Mr. Big LONG before I heard him with Racer X, and when I first heard Racer X, I was just plain shocked.

I felt the same way. Then, as time passed by, i stopped listening to Mr. Big. I just thought it was too cheesy and didn't move me that much except for some songs (like those featured in their first best of).

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:25 pm
Godzilla

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:17 pm
Viking Kong

Now I think I'll have kids before there's a RX reunion.

Sometimes evolving is a bad thing, Paul should have remain in the "stone ages": Racer X

I hate Pablo Sapiens making nice little rock n roll for civilised people.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:41 pm
Viking Kong

I remember when I first heard that Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan were going to be in a band together, my friends and I all had such high hopes for what it would sound like. When we finally got a chance to hear Mr.Big none of us were impressed. We were very disappointed actually. I remember thinking “This band could very well throw Paul into the mainstream so good luck to him. He deserves it and I hope he does well. But I won’t be following this band at all.”

When I heard that Mr.Big was reuniting I cringed. My first thought was “Great, so I guess this means it's going to be a while until Paul gets to put out another solo record” :roll:

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:37 pm
Viking Kong

Hmm...let's see... Do I stay in the band where I just play local clubs, make little to no money, drive a 1974 Yugo and have to have a day job,

OR...

do I join the band that will enable me to make a great living playing and creating music, touring the world, etc, etc, ETC...........

not hard to see why at all.....

:roll:

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Viking Kong

And let's put it this way; if Paul DIDN'T join Mr Big, would 90% of the people on this board have heard about him?

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:23 pm
Godzilla

I don't think 10% of the members here don't know bout paul...
Mr Big is great, but Racer X is perfect :D

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:25 pm
Godzilla

I'd like to stress that I'm not putting down Mr. Big.

It's just that if I knew nothing about either band, and I heard a Racer X song and I heard a Paul Gilbert era Mr. Big song, it wouldn't ever occur to me to think that the same guitarist was playing on both.

I could be argued that it takes a lot of talent and skill for the same person to be able to play BOTH styles of music.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:30 pm
Godzilla

sigh... now the whole board will see how often I make typos...

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:32 pm
Viking Kong

If Paul didn't join Mr. Big, he probably couldn't have gone solo, unless with lots more difficulty.

With that said, I hold Racer X above Mr. Big.

In fact, I probably hold Paul Gilbert solo music over Mr. Big too.

What's wrong with third place? :lol:

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:05 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Paul said in an interview that Mr Big was a group-oriented songs and Racer X was what was inside him. I think that this make that i love Racer X.

I guess Paul for who he is would have come away from one way or another, but to be there in one form or another makes i pick the guitar every day and this is enougth for me.

i pray for Racer X reunion tour!!

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:28 am
Viking Kong

And let's put it this way; if Paul DIDN'T join Mr Big, would 90% of the people on this board have heard about him?

that's absolutely correct.

But I dont really like Mr Big. and yes, I'm going to see them live anyways.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:46 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I remember when I first heard that Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan were going to be in a band together, my friends and I all had such high hopes for what it would sound like. When we finally got a chance to hear Mr.Big none of us were impressed. We were very disappointed actually. I remember thinking “This band could very well throw Paul into the mainstream so good luck to him. He deserves it and I hope he does well. But I won’t be following this band at all.”
Those were my thoughts precicely, in 1988-89!
High hopes indeed!

I mean it was Billy Sheehan for Pete's sake! :shock:

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 am
Godzilla

I think this is the music Paul intended to play, pop rock stuff. Just how Richie Kotzen reall wanted to play his funk blues stuff instead of shredding.

http://www.soundclick.com/fatigueofheart/

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:05 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Long post time, two quotes to cover, no editing... better do it right!

Personally I first learned Paul's name through a google search of lyrics to Superheroes I had transcribed.. it brought me here. And after that I started to watch PG videos on google video. I didn't hear any real Mr. Big til a couple months after I already familiarized with Racer X.

I'm very glad I didn't hear Mr. Big first.. because I don't think I would've looked into the band anymore than listening to a song or two.

Despite Mr. Big not REALLY being essential to me finding out who Paul and Racer X is, I do agree Paul would NOT be where he is today if it weren't for Mr. Big. Things could probably have gone two ways... one: Stay with Racer X and record a 3rd studio album.. either to go on to rule the world, or to die with the 80s shred scene. Or two: Do as most shrapnel guitarists did back then and record a bunch of instrumental shred...

I thank Mr. Big for giving Paul the recognition and fame he deserved and probably funding and giving him the ability to do everything he's done to date. It's my guess that singing backup and being inspired to write more 'songs' rather than just music (and have the master Jeff Martin write the lyrics) is what gave him the inspiration and ability to pursue a solo career. It's kind of disappointing that Paul's gaining fame again through instrumental work... which I don't think is what he REALLLY wants to do. (See United States) but now he has the opportunity to rock instrumental guitar and share what he loves (his vocal stuff) and if he keeps gaining a wider following in a year or two he could probably play techno music if he so desires and get away with it.

Point is, Mr. Big made all of this possible. But Racer X is still FAR superior in my opinion.

fatigueofheart wrote:
I think this is the music Paul intended to play, pop rock stuff.

I'm not so sure about that... well true maybe Paul's original goal was to follow in all his idol's foot steps (EVH) and be the guitarist in a rocking hard rock band. But somewhere along the line (maybe all along?) his intentions became to be a frontman/guitarist and play pop/punk//hard rock.

Gojira ka? wrote:
Paul said in an interview that Mr Big was a group-oriented songs and Racer X was what was inside him. I think that this make that i love Racer X.

I guess Paul for who he is would have come away from one way or another, but to be there in one form or another makes i pick the guitar every day and this is enougth for me.

i pray for Racer X reunion tour!!

Glad to see another person who's on the same page. :) RACER X!!! :D

Hope all that made sense.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next