View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 If In 88-89, Racer X Was Picked Up By A Major Label And... 
is the Siren's Eye

Post If In 88-89, Racer X Was Picked Up By A Major Label And...
...sent out on a world tour, where do you think things would have gone for the band??? Would it have been imminent demise for them, knowing now that "metal" was on it's way out with the masses, or was there something else that you think might have happened, that history didn't allow.

State yo hypothesises!

Sun May 31, 2009 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

On would like to imagine that Racer X reignited and carried on metal for many successful years, the band members continued to make big connections, get bigger and do fun things with other big bands and artists.

Or it would have broken down because of the uprising hip hop and newer alternative music would have out drowned it, by which point the banned decide for good that they need never meet up again, or perform for anyone, though still stay in some contact. The bad members fade out, look for other work with their talents but watered down with the age of today's music, or some don't even get the chance to make any progress and work at Burger King.

Sun May 31, 2009 8:23 pm
Viking Kong

Well... Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motörhead, Dio are a few examples of metal bands that are quite successful and started in the 70's. I think Racer X could have ended up like one of these mammoths of heavy metal, even though they started in 1985. Come to think of it, Dio was formed in 1982, and they still made it, though some will argue it is because Dio was already really famous before forming the band. Still, I think Dio is the proof Racer X could have made it, had a major label picked em up.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:06 am
Viking Kong

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:43 am
Viking Kong

If Billy Sheehan hadn't contacted Paul Gilbert about forming Mr. Big and Scott Travis hadn't joined Judas Priest, then the probability of Racer X striking gold would still be rather slim and the chances of them carrying the torch into the 1990s would be even slimmer. You know I love the band, but in the late 1980s, American metal bands were transforming in character and they were doing so to keep up with the scene. Also, the success of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest can't be used to measure the probable success of Racer X (I'm not even sure that Racer X even catered to the same audience). Seminal English metal bands like Priest and Maiden already had a large fanbase in the '80s--and we're assuming that Racer X would have been building a fanbase in the late 1980s, just as the music scene was changing. I think it was too late. Then again, to musicians, Racer X made and continues to make timeless music. That's all that matters to me.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:09 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I'm happy with the way things turned out. I think TD and Superheroes are much better albums than what they would have recorded on a major label if they would've stayed together. I just hope they get back together for an album really soon. :(

Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

Racer X is in my top 5 without a doubt. I really feel that they deserve much more recognition than they have ever gotten. Sure they never had a hit single, or record... But there is no arguing the fact that they influenced many musicians and in the hard rock genre they pretty much set a standard of metal virtuosity that has arguably never been matched since.

That being said... I believe things happen for a reason... Racer X was destined to end sooner or later because of the simple fact that Paul had pretty much lost interest in playing that type of music towards the end. He wanted to play the kind of music that he was first influenced by.. Melodic pop/rock bands from the 60s/70s.

I'm happy that Paul found such huge success with Mr. Big... This allowed him the financial and musical freedom to pretty much do whatever he wants and follow his own path.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:37 am
Unt! I move topics!

I think Racer X could have been moderately successful for at least a few years. In 1989 MTV was still playing metal videos and Racer X had a visual look and stage presence that would have translated well to a promotional video. With record label backing they could have gotten an opening slot on a major tour as successful metal bands were still touring arenas at that time. Of course, they probably would have been pressured by the record label to write more radio friendly tunes to be released as singles/videos, but I think songs like Sunlit Nights or Poison Eyes could have worked as singles. Although the rise of grunge and alternative spelled the end of commerical success for most metal bands by 1992 or 1993, it would still be possible to release your debut album in 1989 and have a moderately successful career for several years (Skid Row, for example, released their debut record in 1989).

Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Racer X has plenty "Radio Friendly" songs.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]