View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 10 Confessions of a Racer X fan(atic) 
is evil...Evil Joe

Did you watch the video on the site from 1988??

Thanks for the tips Ken. I did watch that "Fire of Rock" video, and it's great to have this stuff on the site. For me the sound on that one came out weird, can't really hear Paul's guitar so good. Cool stuff though!

Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:07 pm
King Of The Monsters

Can I think about 10 things?
Let´s give it a try..... 8)

1.- Racer X has become one of my "very fav" bands
2.- I was really sad when I knew Bruce wasn´t in the band anymore. I still miss his work. That´s especially noted in the live album "Snowball Of Doom".
3.- I´m freaked out by "Lucifer´s Hammer"; my ears are having a hard time trying to nail it right..
4.- My guitar was tuned to Eb just to play "King Of The Monsters" (90% perfect) and "Superheroes" (65% perfect. The solos are insane)
5.- I found out that Lucifer´s Hammer and Golden God are on Eb too!! :lol:
6.- My first Racer X´s song was Frenzy, but I thought it was a Paul Gilbert´s solo (Actually, it is, but I didn´t knew he was on this great band).
7.- Paul is a very cool guy
8.- I´m working in having Racer X to tour here in Chile! (C´mon guys, I have a record shop, and I found out "hey!, if noone brings them here, then the one must be me)
9.- I´d love to have Racer X here
10.- My favourite Racer X´s album is Superheroes. Anyway, I love Second Heat (Sacrifice...)

I COULD THINK OF 10!!! :roll:

Great!

Image Image

Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

- I think the interplay between Paul and Bruce on the Live Extreme Volume albums is unique. They're inspiring each other and pushing each other along and you can hear it. The musicianship on the LEV albums sound more inspired than anything else by them. They're having a blast, just tossing these insane licks back and forth!!!!

- I think the multi-layered vocal tracks on the studio version of Into the Night (specifically, when the chorus kicks in, and the voices just BELLOW... "IN-TO THE NIGHT!!!!!!!") just kick ass, and to me that's a rare instance where the studio track tops the live track. When Jeff sings that phrase live, it's just HIS voice, and to me it lacks the punch that the studio version delivers.

- I think that Street Lethal from the Live at the Whisky album sounds much better tuned down a whole step.

- I don't understand why they'll tune down a half-step for some songs and then use standard tuning for other songs which are on the same album. Don't get me wrong, I love the songs, but I'm just not sure why they do this.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:58 am
Viking Kong

Don't know if I can come up with 10... Oh well here goes...

1. I used to follow (stalk) PG at all the local L.A. "guitar shows" back in the day in the hopes that he would pick up a guitar and just play a cool lick that I could try an rip off... Before he got signed to Ibanez not alot of people knew who he was and he used to walk around freely at shows like: "The L.A. Guitar Show", "The West L.A. Music Expo", etc, etc...

2. I think some of the outfits PG puts on are even too weird for him...

3. I liked Alderete's solo from EV1 better than the one on SOD2...

4. As much as I love Getting Heavier I still can't get into "Everything's Everything"... I FF past the track everytime...

5. As much as I dig RX in it's current state, I still liked them better with 2 guitarists (especially LIVE)

6. I thought the version of RX with just Bruce on guitar and Jamie Brown on vocals wasn't bad at all...

7. Although most RX fans "dis" Eric, I think Eric Martin has one of the greatest voices on the planet...

8. Am disappointed that Scott Travis hasn't checked in on the board in quite some time...

9. Wish we could finally see some of the video footage of the Getting Heavier sessions...

10. Was never a fan of B.O.C. or the song "Godzilla" and even though RX did a good version of it, I wish they would've picked another cover tune for SuperHeroes (like "The Green Manaleshi") :twisted:

X

Looks like we have some similar opinions, princess Xelda!

I too believe that Eric Martin has an AWESOME singing voice. Call him girly, or whatever you want, but he is a great singer. I also would like to see Racer X with Bruce. About Alderete's EV1 solo... I agree, it was better in my opinion than the SODII. I think though, Alderete's fingers might have been mighty tired after playing all those songs and having a bass solo at the end of the show in SODII. I dont know how long he can keep his fingers goin at 16th notes for such a long time, but I'm just guessing he got a little fatigued after a while (I mean come on, they're all human arent they?).

Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:34 pm
Superhero

Sometimes when you are doing a "search" you find stuff other than what you are looking for.

Guitar and amp from your uncle: FREE
Hairdryer: BORROWED
Completing the circuit and shooting an electric fireball across your room and living to tell about it: PRICELESS

This is a great story Chad. :lol:

Chad Dyer wrote:
Jayjo wrote:
naturallywiredwebdesigns wrote:
9.) People who think EVH stole the drill thing from Paul are jagoffs. DAS RIGHT...I SAID IT.

Sorry to beat the dead horse, but Eddie was using appliances with his pickups way before Paul stuck picks on the end of a drill bit. Remember the hair dryer in the 1984 days? I think the video was Jump or Panama.

Well, thanks for the backup, but the hairdryer was only in the Panama video during the "woosh" sound.

I can tell you first hand that had Edward done this in his studio, bad things would have happened. Here's the backlog.

When I moved to Arizona right before my 8th grade year, I told my parents I wanted to play guitar. I had this cool uncle who worked for Prosound in Colorado springs who had a '76 or '78 tele (don't remember) that I got from him on our way moving from MN to AZ, and Crate G10 amp.

Anyway...I saw the Panama video later that summer and said...dude...I wonder if the hairdryer thing works? Now my Mom and my sister didn't have a normal every day little travel hair dryer. This thing said BLITZKREIG across the side of it and was painted camoflauge, and doubled as a howitzer.

So I plug my tele in, crank up that little crate as loud as it can go, turn up the volume on the guitar, plug in the hair dryer, hit the fan on HIGH and HOT. There I am...on my little single bed...hand in the air...fretting a G chord and I move the nozzle of the hair dryer down to the single coil pickup and the lighning bolt that they used on BACK TO THE FUTURE to get the Delorean back to '85 launched itselef between the hairdryer and my guitar. Before I knew it, I watched a fireball come OUT of the plug in socket, launch across the room RIGHT into the other socket across from it. All the hair on my head was standing straight up and I couldn't feel my right hand.

All in all, I lived, and it was pretty fuckin' cool to see a lightning bolt come out of the hairdryer to my guitar, pop the amp and then a BALL of FIRE fly from one outlet to another.

This message has been brought to you by the Coalition to STOP guitarists from using blowdryers as cool effects.

-Chad

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:07 am
King Of The Monsters

1.- I used to preffer Cacophony over Racer X....now I preffer Racer X over Cacophony, I think it´s more a "band" than Cacophony.

2.- The intro for "Gone To Far" is by far the better riff ever written

3.- I dream about seeing Racer X in Chile...or live anywhere

4.- Jeff Martin´s look back in the 80´s makes me laugh so hard I can´t stop for about 5 mins...just look him at the OMNI DVD...

5.- I think John Alderete is a great bass player. However, I also think he loss many of his "speed" kills with the years.

6.- Every time I see the "huge" setlist that was played in the Whisky I wish the DVD would be about 3 hours long. Also, the audience in the DVD is boring (sorry guys).

7.- Scott´s face while playing is funny. He looks bored

8.- I´d kill to see the Snakebite solo on the DVD

9.- I think Bruce was better (technically speaking) than Paul. However, I think Paul kikcs ass, and I like him more than Bruce.

10.- I think the song "Street Lethal" is not suitable for driving...

11.- RACER X FUCKING ROCKS!

That´s it!

Image Image

Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Well hello one and a half year old thread!

:lol:

Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:29 pm
is O.H.B.

1) I think Paul looks equally good with long AND short hair.....I'd hit it with both.

2) I actually though 'gettin heavier' was a really cool album despite what people were saying about it!

I'm famous for this - Image

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:00 am
Profile YIM WWW
Superhero

1) I think Paul's photoshop work is hysterical.

2) I wish the rest of the band would've worn masks like Alderete did.

(I'm also too drunk to think of anything else)

10) Every time I see a new post in the Offtopic section by either stringskipper or TheSurgeon I know it's in the Hot Babes thread.

lol...

Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:10 am
is evil...Evil Joe

1.Getting Heavier is my favorite RacerX album.
2.Superheroes is my second.
3.I can't wait till they do a live version of the tunes on Getting Heavier.
4.My wife bought me all the RacerX CD's for Christmas. (Because I have them on record and tapes)
5.Asked Jeff when he was in town with George Lynch when he was bringing RacerX to my town.
(he replied hopefully before he dies and I hope before I die)
6.I check this board several times a day.
7.The only music in my car is RacerX.(Getting Heavier is in the CD player of one and SOD2 in the other)
8.I bought my RG770 cause Paul was in the Ibanez catalog advertisement. Jeez I'm old!
9.I was at the drill in the hair concert. (can you guess what town I live in)
10.Because my wife says I am a dork for posting this on the board.
11. and I will be to drunk to post later....

Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:09 pm
Godzilla

1. I agree that "Second Heat" is Racer X's best Studio Album ever and is also one of the top 10 greatest albums of all time. I listen to that album EVERY DAY OF MY PATHETIC LIFE and will continue to until I die!

2. I think Racer X was at it's peak when Bruce was with them.

3. Paul Gilbert and Bruce Bouillet are the only reason I get up in the morning to practice, they are my heroes.

4. I cop many Paul Gilbert and Bruce Bouillet licks and use them in my playing. And whenever some asks "WTF was that?" I always give the credit to my mentors.

5. I think "Sunlit Nights" is one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL songs of all time and has one of the best Racer X solo's ever.

6. Paul Gilbert and Bruce Bouillet own the coolest guitar EVER MADE.

7. Shredders all over the world owe Paul and Bruce props/credit. Don't be stingy! :lol:

8. I think Hot Pink is the best color for any Guitar/Bass.

9. Anything Paul or Bruce plays is gold.

10. Yes, I worship their Musicianship and think they are the best example of originality, and teamwork. Can't get enough of those Dual Leads!

Mason

(11. God Bless Paul and Bruce!)

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:02 am
God Of The Sun

1. I was listening to a Paul Gilbert lesson from Total Guitar when this happened '(Paul) Lets try a bit more of a Def Leppard rythem' da da dan dang da screech! 'oh, Def Leppards hard!' dan da diddley diddley dee (MUCH HARDER RIFF) diddly dee da da da da dan dan dang (Completed with trademark Paul Gilbert accuracy)
I then proceeded to try to explain to Paul over the stereo that you can't attempt a easy riff, fuck it up, then do a much harder riff.

2. There have been so many times in Star Wars movies when I've decided to give Darth Vader the superheroes riff as his theme tune.

3. My favorite album is superheroes and I also believe superhereos is one of the best record openers ever!

4. I think that Noods obsession with paul is a tad unhealthy. (Although I think it is catchable, I've found myself..... actually nevermind)

5. I've can't help my head bobing during the da-da-da dadada bit in Scarified. (before widdly widdly wee bit which goes into the last round of the main riff, hehe that makes sense :wink: )

6. Paul Gilberts photoshops ROCK

7. Racer X are among my influences! They made me realize you can do so much with an electric guitar and an amp.

8. 'I wanted to build a section of 16th notes *slaps at 16th note speed* because at that speed who can tell what the notes are anyway!' - Paul Gilbert.

9. My main target is to nail Scarified on guitar

10. I end with a mere thank you to Racer X and all those involved over the years, if it wasn't for them I doubt I would have seriously become shred fan :D

Edit: I got bored and thought of some good ones *cough* instead

Last edited by Oodles on Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:49 pm
Viking Kong

I like Green Day's new CD "American Idiot"... :oops:

Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:31 pm
Viking Kong

i listen to him so much im kinda sick of his tone....not his playing!!! his tone. too bassy for me

i think he sounds better with a hot rodded marshall.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:21 pm
Viking Kong

:lol: He looks like he could fall asleep at the stool. It must be so easy for him.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:40 pm
Viking Kong

1. If Racer-X doesn't strike fear into other musicians, they should! Teamwork & practice pay off.

2. Paul has some of the most thoughtful & common sense approaches to rythms & leads, still making them exciting & energetic.

3. Racer-X has proved that shredding goes much better with a cool song! Emphasis: HOOKS!

4. When I first heard them as a young lad, I realized there was much practicing for me to do on the guitar.

5. Scott Travis's drum solo on live extreme volume, was one of the most impressive that I've heard in my life!

6. I wish my stomach looked like Scott Travis's.

7. No, I'm not gay.

8. I wish John tuned his bass E string to D on "Poison Eyes" studio version like he did on the live version. :( On the other hand, I love the wierd harmonic thing he did in the song "Technical Difficulties".

9. I can't believe I'm the only one that doesn't have Superheroes yet! That's just pathetic. I'm getting it before this weekend, & I'll post a review on this board. Save for that & S.O.D., I have all their other releases.

10. My wife, also, thinks I'm a geek for posting on this board. :lol: Actually, I'd be a geek even if I didn't. Objections?

11. I selfishly yearn for a day that Bruce would get back in the band, get rid of his tendonitis, & give me my vision of the ideal Racer-X, even though I love 'em no matter what. :wink:

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:59 pm
Viking Kong

Guitarp77 wrote:
:lol: He looks like he could fall asleep at the stool. It must be so easy for him.

:lol: He looks like he's just sitting there... "Yep... just here for the gig." I remember joking with Metal Liberty about that. I was like... ya ever notice how Scott looks like he's "out of place" when he's playing with Racer X? Like he's "just there for the gig?"

That's hilarious. :lol:

"Yep... just here for the gig." *does some crazy double bass drum riff and goes into the intro for Scarified* "Nothing else... just a gig." *destroys the hopes of all aspiring drummers in the audience by doing a kickass drum solo after Scarified* "Wonder what's for dinner tonight..." *snare drum solo* "I wonder if anyone still posts at that Racer X forum..." *tom roll*

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:52 pm
Viking Kong

Rich L. wrote:
Guitarp77 wrote:

:lol: He looks like he's just sitting there... "Yep... just here for the gig." I remember joking with Metal Liberty about that. I was like... ya ever notice how Scott looks like he's "out of place" when he's playing with Racer X? Like he's "just there for the gig?"

That's hilarious. :lol:

"Yep... just here for the gig." *does some crazy double bass drum riff and goes into the intro for Scarified* "Nothing else... just a gig." *destroys the hopes of all aspiring drummers in the audience by doing a kickass drum solo after Scarified* "Wonder what's for dinner tonight..." *snare drum solo* "I wonder if anyone still posts at that Racer X forum..." *tom roll*
Yeah, I think the funniest example is the "Scarified" video with Bruce & Chris Arvin. Scott flips a drumstick, & he has this smirk on his face like he's a little embarrassed, or something. Very funny!

Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:04 pm
Godzilla

1. I stole my first copy of Live! Extreme Volume (I have since bought many copies)
2. I had Racer X and Paul Gilbert pictures plastered inside of my locker my Senior year of high school (90-91)
3. My likes in my yearbook were Racer X, Paganini, Malmsteen.
4. I have seen Paul in concert twice (Mr. Big- Lean into it tour) and Scott once (Priest- Painkiller tour).
5. I smoked pot for the first time the same night I first heard Street Lethal.
6. I received SL and SH in the same package I received MaCalpine-Maximum Security. Tafolla-Out of the Sun, Cacaphony-Speed Metal Symphony and Vinnie Moore-Mind's Eye (it was a great day).
7. John Alderete and Wally Voss are the reasons I switched from drums to bass.
8. I think the Scream smokes Mr. Big.
9. I have sold the two Paul Gilbert cds I have owned (KOC and BHL) and don't anticipate ever buying another.
10. I actually don't like the Beatles (or Elvis for that matter)

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:18 pm
God Of The Sun

Yeah, I think the funniest example is the "Scarified" video with Bruce & Chris Arvin. Scott flips a drumstick, & he has this smirk on his face like he's a little embarrassed, or something. Very funny!

Yeah and he sort of looks into his drumkit thinking "oh I've gone and drawn attention to myself now..... I'l just keep my head down and everyone will lose interest" :wink:

Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next