View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 10 Confessions of a Racer X fan(atic) 
Unt! I move topics!

The one time I met Bruce he seemed to be a pretty cool guy. So I have no trouble believing you guys when you state that one or more of the other members of Epidemic are pressuring Bruce to hide his past with Racer X. But he's still going along with it. He's made a choice not to stand-up to those guys. It may be the right choice for him in the particular circumstances he's in, but speaking as a Racer X fan I am still offended by it.

Re: Eddie and the drill

Paul did it before Eddie. Did Eddie independently come up with the idea? No one will ever know for sure except Eddie. I will say that Eddie has been known to play fast and loose with the truth from time to time. And given the fact that Paul was pictured in a nationally published guitar magazine with the drill, Eddie definitely had ample opportunity to be inspired (even subconsciously) by Paul's use of the drill. Circumstantial evidence, at best, but you have to wonder a little bit.

Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Chad....that is the BEST STORY!!!! Only Testosterone could pull that off.

Regards,
Ken

Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Have you guys heard the title of my new book? "SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME."

LOL.

-Chad

Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:13 pm
Dr. X

I have just one confession. It will probably get me banned:

-I don't like Racer X songs. I only listen to them because of Paul's guitar. Sorry!

Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:48 pm
Godzilla

KenHower wrote:

Have you guys heard the title of my new book? "SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME."

LOL.

-Chad

That story was really awesome, Chad!!
I´m glad you survived to tell us that, otherwise more evh fans would be electrified too, hauhea :shock: :shock:

I already tried the drill thing some time ago, but the hair dryer, luckily I couldn´t found any at home... LOL! :D

Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:24 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Godzilla

1 ) I found out Racer X and Paul while searching for that Spice Girls tune. (Yeah, 2 become 1! :oops: )

2 ) At first, I couldn´t stand Jeff´s vocals, but now he´s at the top of my "best vocalists of all time" list, and his voice is getting better all the time.

3 ) I love Racer X how they are, but I secretly hope that, one day, Bruce will give Paul a call and say: "Hey man, let´s play together again, like in the old times, I want to SHRED again!!"...

4 ) Althought I love all Racer X albuns, my favorite one gotta be "Technical Difficulties", it´s killer.

5 ) I think that Paul´s best tone was in "Superheroes" era. That´s the perfect guitar tone, in my opinion.

6 ) Yeah, I was disapointed at first with Getting Heavier, but now I love it. It was a great Hard Rock disc. The songs grew into me... The compositions are more mature and the guys are at their best... but for the next disc I´m waiting for INSANE HEAVY METAL, and I say HEAVY METAL. :wink:

7 ) I love Lady Killer, Blowing Up the Radio and Loud and Clear... :cry:

8 ) I have F-Holes stickers on my guitar.

9 ) I´m still wondering if someday I´ll be able to play Scarrified... :shock:

10 ) I want one ADA MP-1! :D

10.2/3) I hope to see Racer X live, someday, before I die! :twisted:

Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

deja vu LOL

Quote:
I did that once, but I was standing in a puddle of wat...no wait...it was gasoline! Yeah, that's the ticket! And I burned for 8 days. And when I finally woke up guess who was next to me. ...You Guessed it, Some guy from the RacerX board. I asked him how he was and he said "eh, not so good." So I cast an evil spell on him and narrowly escaped the dragon...I mean, I flew away on...no, I mean I Teleported into Madonna's bedroom. Yeah, that's it.

quote by XES on BLS board

LOL...he's retarded.

-Chad

Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:29 am
Site Admin

8.) I think my Laney sounds better than my Bogner.

How'd I miss this one? Doc...Time to pull out all those old BOGNER RULE$ threads.

:)

Regards,
Ken

Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:35 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

KenHower wrote:

LOL.

-Chad

Chad....you're the JOHNNY KNOXVILLE OF guitars and hair dryers.

Regards,
Ken

Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:35 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I move topics!

naturallywiredwebdesigns wrote:
8.) I think my Laney sounds better than my Bogner.

How'd I miss this one? Doc...Time to pull out all those old BOGNER RULE$ threads.

:)

No kidding! Actually, I think most of those were on the old board ... but here's one -

http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=201&highlight=bogner

Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:17 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Post top 10 stuff...
'No one said anything. He never noticed (at least he never said anything) It was the pink mokingbird that Fastermuttly purchased. I scuffed the headstock. It was funny that the next time I saw this guitar was in a magazine. There was the scuff.........'
-where is the scuff? i'll be looking, then you die!! :P
anyways..
1) i love "live..vol1" best album they ever did imo!

2) despite the above, i wish there was less SOLOING SPOT bollocks on "live vol 1" and MORE kick ass tunes

3) i own 2 ADA MP1'S because of the TONE on "live 1 and 2", pauls best tone EVER!

4) i too used to hate jeffs voice! now i think he's the metal man!!

5) i own pauls BC RICH GUITAR! WOO HOO!

6) no one who sees it has a clue who MR BIG, PAUL GILBERT OR RACER X ARE!!!- UK a rock free zone folks!

7) i obsessed over 'telesavalas' for years! made a copy out of an old epiphone (that cost me a fortune btw) then ended up with (5) the one guitar of pauls that looks fuck all like it !! lmao

8) i know i'll never be able to play 'scarified' but hey..

9) i wish paul would do more insane heavy metal instead of wimpy assed Beatles tributes on his albums ! sorry paul

10) I FUCKIN LOVE RACER X! RACER X!

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:44 pm
Unt! I move topics!

Post Re: top 10 stuff...
FASTER MUTTLEY! wrote:

9) i wish paul would do more insane heavy metal instead of wimpy assed Beatles tributes on his albums ! sorry paul

10) I FUCKIN LOVE RACER X! RACER X!

Yes! More insane heavy metal, please!

Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Where's the hook? It's at the Gilbert Hotel. This is a vote for Paul's solo stuff. It's not a bad thing that Paul is writing song's that my girlfriend can get into. I love the fact that he's come into his own with his vocals. I no longer think of him as a guitarist trying to sing. He's the complete package. However, insane heavy metal is cool too. Keep bringin' it!!!

Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:55 pm
Motorman

1. I try and sing Racer X songs in the shower just like Jeff. You don't even wanna be in earshot when I'm in the shower!!!

2. I don't think Paul's tone on TD is that great. It may be because of the production or the actual tone, but it sounded better on others.

3. I put a BIG Racer X sticker on my guitar when I saw that Paul had a Racer X sticker on the back of one of his guitars.

4. I wrote "Racer X" on a gas tap in one of my school labs and was thrown in detention for a week for vandalism.

5. I don't like Getting Heavier. Sorry guys!

6. I really don't understand why Racer X release so many live records. There's no way I can afford to buy all of them on my crappy income.

7. I AM a little pissed with Bruce with trying to cover up the past but at the same time I can understand why he's doing it. (But even so... :(

8. I forced my ex girlfriend and her sister to listen to Second Heat in the car on a trip to Monterey. She didn't like it and she nearly broke up with me for "subjecting" her to it. LMAO!!!

9. I secretly admire John Alderete's rippling bod (hehehe j/k John)

10. I don't think Paul's voice is technically that great sounding. But he sure has the vibe and the enthusiasm that's for sure.

Anyway, make of it what you will. I'm sure you all have things that others wouldn't disagree with so bear that in mind before you bury me with hate mail!!!! :D :twisted:

Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

*mouth waters*

Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:47 pm
Motorman

Ten will be a stretch but here goes:

1. Im listening to Getting Heavier now. I got it as soon as it came out and ive only listened to it once till now :(

However, im loving it now and really getting into it :)

2. Paul produces great sounding records-i know its not a confession, but it needed saying!

3. Racer X (and PG) have forced me to spend lots of my student loan on import CD's form Japan- sorry parents who i need to scrounge food money from :)

4. I downloaded RX songs whilst my cd's from cdjapan were in transit :oops: -but i do have the CD's now.

5. I check here everyday and its taking over my life

6. I dont play enough guitar (kind of a RX related confession)

7. Overall, I like Paul's solo work better than RX- stop, dont kill me :roll:

8. I dont really mind if Bruce doesnt come back- its his choice and the band is kicking ass without him.

9. I dont think we talk about John and Scott enough here :oops:

10. The EV2 version of Poison eyes sounds better than the TD version.

Mark

Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:04 pm
Viking Kong

Don't know if I can come up with 10... Oh well here goes...

1. I used to follow (stalk) PG at all the local L.A. "guitar shows" back in the day in the hopes that he would pick up a guitar and just play a cool lick that I could try an rip off... Before he got signed to Ibanez not alot of people knew who he was and he used to walk around freely at shows like: "The L.A. Guitar Show", "The West L.A. Music Expo", etc, etc...

2. I think some of the outfits PG puts on are even too weird for him...

3. I liked Alderete's solo from EV1 better than the one on SOD2...

4. As much as I love Getting Heavier I still can't get into "Everything's Everything"... I FF past the track everytime...

5. As much as I dig RX in it's current state, I still liked them better with 2 guitarists (especially LIVE)

6. I thought the version of RX with just Bruce on guitar and Jamie Brown on vocals wasn't bad at all...

7. Although most RX fans "dis" Eric, I think Eric Martin has one of the greatest voices on the planet...

8. Am disappointed that Scott Travis hasn't checked in on the board in quite some time...

9. Wish we could finally see some of the video footage of the Getting Heavier sessions...

10. Was never a fan of B.O.C. or the song "Godzilla" and even though RX did a good version of it, I wish they would've picked another cover tune for SuperHeroes (like "The Green Manaleshi") :twisted:

X

Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:16 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

As a newcomer it might be real tough for me to find ten confessions but here goes:

Confiteor:

1. I'm a relatively new fan of Racer X and don't even have all the records yet. I think early on I had attached the label "speed metal" to them and somehow associated them with death-metal and stuff that, although I know it's popular, I just don't enjoy listening to, like Slayer and Anthrax.

2. I first heard of Paul Gilbert watching the "To Be With You" video when it came out and I recognized Billy Sheehan as the guy I'd seen play with Vai. (Yes, I wasn't very well-rounded back then and I should have known, but my guitar playing wasn't so serious then either.) Even before Paul's tasty acoustic solo, I thought, well, the guitar player must be pretty good then if he's playing with Sheehan.

3. Jeff Martin's vocals on TD impress me more every time I hear them. In fact I am blown away by the whole band.

4. From Street Lethal, I'm not impressed with "Frenzy" so much but I love "YRO." The EV2 version of "Hammer Away" is better than the SL version.

5. I'm already hooked on the Racer X Asylum after only a few months.

6. I have yet to catch up and work my way through pages 50-80 of the "Pictures of Hot Babes" thread.

7. I am one of those who loves the versatility of Paul Gilbert. I am one of those who for years under-rated him. This could be an unconscious response to my frustration about the 5-8-10 E-string stretch on his 3-note per string A blues scale pattern. That's still a tough one for me.

8. I'm still, however, a Vai fanatic first. And would LOVE to see PG on G3.

9. The TD version of "Fire of Rock" gets me in four distinct places:
a. the opening dive bomb thing (how does PG do that, does he use a whammy?)
b. the harmonic squeal in the middle of the opening riff
c. the first fleet-fingered fill (comes in the second verse)
d. the major riffage after the solo.

10. My copy of the Whiskey DVD is shipping today and I'm excited!
11. What do you know, I went to 11 like Spinal Tap's amps. Okay, one more: I too like the magician's assistant chick in the Intense Rock video. And Paul's sense of humor is an important element in his music. (How about "I am Satan" huh? Too funny.)

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:02 pm
Dr. X

1:I think SOD2 is better than SOD1, wish we could have that on DVD
2:I own a Coronet(best shaped guitar in the world)
3:I like "My Kinda Woman" better than "Mad At The World"
4:I Bought my First RX "album" on a trip to New Hampshire so my buddy could stock up on Taco Bell. He bought 24 buritos to take home and freeze. This was a Friday, on Sunday Shredacuda and I went to his house and they were gone.....stinky!
5:I like RX better with only one guitar player. Bruce and John should re start the Scream as a side project!
6: I have a drill(with picks) and I am not afraid to use it.
7: I sharpen my picks on the rug(ala Bruce and Paul)
8:At one time I put "fringe" on one of my guitars
9: back in the 80's in High School I would write Racer X on peoples note books when no one was looking.(like I told Ryan, nothing looks cooler.
10: I think RX would have gotten back together even without the" Snake Byte" e-mail. They had already done " the Jam" on King of Clubs...Snake may have got it going sooner but it was bound to happen!

Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:21 am
Site Admin

6. I have yet to catch up and work my way through pages 50-80 of the "Pictures of Hot Babes" thread.

9. The TD version of "Fire of Rock" gets me in four distinct places:
a. the opening dive bomb thing (how does PG do that, does he use a whammy?)
b. the harmonic squeal in the middle of the opening riff
c. the first fleet-fingered fill (comes in the second verse)
d. the major riffage after the solo.

10. My copy of the Whiskey DVD is shipping today and I'm excited!

6. TOO FUNNY. It's a behemoth.

9. No whammy. Flange.
9b. KILLER FINGERS.

Did you watch the video on the site from 1988??

10. Hope you like it....but sorry...Live was way KILLER!

Regards,
Ken

Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next