View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 King Of The Monsters Played By That Kid 
God Of The Sun

Post King Of The Monsters Played By That Kid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfOJ_c8SYj0&feature=channel

Sorry if it's a repost, I checked it but found nothing.

it's anton oparin again. nice playing, but I feel some "unstrongness" in his fingers. I mean it sounds like in certain places, he is this close [->this much <-] to making a mistake.

what do you guys think?

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:54 pm
Viking Kong

You mean you hear note commitment issues? I haven't listened to it myself yet...

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:03 pm
God Of The Sun

I mean like he doesn't play it solid or precise... it might be because he's a kid tho.. you know.. how far can an 11 year old go? I'm not trying to offend him in any way, he's great, insane but I was just saying that little thing that I can't explain.. anyways hope you guys got what I'm tryin to say :P

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:13 pm
Viking Kong

I totally get what you're saying, but I think it's more of a timing/rythmic issue. Having spent so many hours playing note for note to a metronome, I guess his rythmic skills are way behind what his fingers are.

And, he's endorsed?

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:36 pm
Viking Kong

And, he's endorsed?

...and he's doing guitar clinics???

You know, I was like everyone else when I first saw that video a few years ago of him doing Frenzy. I was stunned. Not because someone was playing Frenzy, but because we were led to believe that he was an 8 year old kid plaing Frenzy (btw as some of you already know, he wasn't 8 but actually a few years older when that vid was filmed).

A year or so later we see some other vids of him playing some more Gilbert stuff (and some other famous complicated guitar pieces). Impressive still but now that he is getting older it's becoming less big of a big deal as the years start to pass by. He really should start writing some stuff of his own, otherwise he'll end up being just another guy who can play some cool Gilbert stuff that we have seen many times at various music stores.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:04 pm
Superhero

his probably just a tad nervous, has that kinda adrenalin that makes you a bit shaky in the fingers. I cant stand my vibrato when i play live, it goes to shit if im too nervous.

Having jammed with this kid in person first thing i noticed is how solid his playing was.

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:16 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

This video serves as a huge relief for me! Even this kid can make mistakes sometimes. I'm really surprised it's on this song though... I think it might just be that he hadn't practiced it too much and a big reason is definitely his tone! Yuck. It's so dry, reminds me of like those starter amp tones you get when you first start playing and don't know shit about how to set an amp. I think if he had a warmer tone he would've pulled the song off much better.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

his probably just a tad nervous, has that kinda adrenalin that makes you a bit shaky in the fingers. I cant stand my vibrato when i play live, it goes to shit if im too nervous.

Having jammed with this kid in person first thing i noticed is how solid his playing was.

wow, you got to jam with him? 8)

and yeah, I know that shaking fingers, the worst shit ever. it used to happen to me if I was playing in front of my dad, like showing him what I could play when I was like 11.. the hardest shit I could play was greenfields by the brothers four :lol:

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:21 pm
Superhero

ßrono wrote:

wow, you got to jam with him? 8)

and yeah, I know that shaking fingers, the worst shit ever. it used to happen to me if I was playing in front of my dad, like showing him what I could play when I was like 11.. the hardest shit I could play was greenfields by the brothers four :lol:

More getting my arse handed to me than jamming really :lol:
His picking is crazy!

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:23 pm
God Of The Sun

I just think that tone was uncomfortable to play with

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:23 pm
God Of The Sun

the tone... the rhythmic issues...the vibrato...the picking dynamic....

this kids endorsed because hes a kid.... (i didnt know he was endorsed, i can only assume the "endorsement" is with a small company who make guitars)

and he can play some paul gilbert....talk about living in someones shadow.... :roll:

it makes me laugh tbh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CqeSlF_ ... re=channel

as cool as that is.... you still just hear paul right?

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

I won't say much since you guys will bash me but... Check out his "Let The Computer Decide" cover (video number 6 I believe). It's even worse than last time he played it (dunno, stress or maybe you can actually hear what's he doing).

Tne of that guitar really sucks, it kind of reminds me of these line 6 guitar which have multi effect built in and you basically have to connect them to a pc/or some line 6 effect to get any sound at all O_o

The kid's good, he can copy someone's style. That's what all of the kids can do, that's how their brain is set up. But I'm not gonna consider him a real guitarist unless he finally stops copying Paul and comes up with his own style (I mean - how many years can you go on with just playing somebody elses tunes?).

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

This thread is hilarious. I think Anton is awesome and I thought his cover of King of the Monsters was great.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:38 pm
Viking Kong

I can't believe you guys are judging his tone based on a camera video. LOL. You should realize that Rich Ward pwns all.
camera mic angle can drastically change the frequencies it picks up from a guitar amp, and that includes cutting bass/mids/vice versa. Ya'll haters are a bunch of trolls.

Here's him playing scarified. Watch him at 2:29 doing the final string skips to the song and watch your balls shrink with envy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdgACLA2vO0&feature=related

While I agree that he needs to show off some creativity of his own, IMO Rich Ward pwns all.
, people who bash this kid are simply just trying to knock him down to a lower level where they can compare themselves to Rich Ward pwns all.
him and feel slightly better after realizing they probably will never reach his height of Rich Ward pwns all.
technical superiority. :lol:.

And then...Paganini...INSANE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYEQi_MZ2E&feature=channel

I mean, it's easy to say Rich Ward pwns all.
he got the idea of covering classical pieces from Rich Ward pwns all.
Paul Gilbert, but then you're simply dismissing the other Rich Ward pwns all.
neo-classical guitarists who do the exact same thing. Neo classical isn't very original to begin with, and who cares? It's awesome in it's own right. What do you want him to play? Charlie Parker?

My only complaint is that this kid should get out and do some exercise and I don't like his vibrato.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:18 pm
Superhero

the tone... the rhythmic issues...the vibrato...the picking dynamic....

this kids endorsed because hes a kid.... (i didnt know he was endorsed, i can only assume the "endorsement" is with a small company who make guitars)

and he can play some paul gilbert....talk about living in someones shadow.... :roll:

it makes me laugh tbh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CqeSlF_ ... re=channel

as cool as that is.... you still just hear paul right?

jealousy stings!

Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:04 pm
God Of The Sun

i can assure you, there is NO jeleousy, but i expected that.

paul himself has complemented me PERSONALY on my phrasing, and i believe in regards to people who copy him hes said "its scary" (in total guitar shred lessons

this kid stands up and plays someone elses songs at his own clinics... iv got an EP underway thats already had interest from both labels and distribution. and i havnt taken it further because im still developing MY sound. ill never accept fame from imitation

i get to play with some amazing guitar players regularly.

and yeah this kid can pick faster than me, he can pick faster than alot of people (except rich ward) thats what happens when your young and you try to become like someone else, it happens

does he have anything else? i dont think so...

im glad you guys all think hes great....but lets be honest...if he was 40 this wouldnt even be a discussion

but as usual, flame away, y'all know i enjoy it

:lol:

Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Golden God

Music is NOT the Olympics people...the kid has talent...period.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

paul himself has complemented me PERSONALY on my phrasing

Paul finds a way to compliment everybody because he's a genuinely nice guy. One of the guys at my VIP session was just awful by any measure (he hadn't been playing long) but he was obviously trying and Paul also told him he had good phrasing.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:47 pm
God Of The Sun

MissMisstreater wrote:
paul himself has complemented me PERSONALY on my phrasing

Paul finds a way to compliment everybody because he's a genuinely nice guy. One of the guys at my VIP session was just awful by any measure (he hadn't been playing long) but he was obviously trying and Paul also told him he had good phrasing.

:roll:

silly me....he was just trying to make me feel better

stringskipper wrote:
Music is NOT the Olympics people...the kid has talent...period.

and is it just me or does that contradict itself? lol

Refried Bean wrote:
I don't like his vibrato.

i think that says it all....sure this kid has talent, hes a hell of an athlete... and an impressionist, but when it comes down to musical factors, vibrato, stage confidence (which seems to be the general consensus as to why hes a little off here) hes average at best

i know hes a kid, an im ripping on a kid...but if he wants to be in the big boy land, endorsements and clinics then hes got to be prepared to go toe to toe in comparision with adults. hes not some kid in his bedroom after all. and sorry, but going toe to toe with paul is silly as its a comparison that noone misses

i mean hes not better than that japanese dude with the pgm100 copy (how shameful that i forgot his name...but i guess makes the point)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awGQQbg- ... re=related
that dude

Last edited by MissMisstreater on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

:roll:

silly me....he was just trying to make me feel better

Dunno, maybe you do have good phrasing. But Paul's telling you so at a VIP session doesn't necessarily make it so. And it certainly doesn't make any of your posts seem any less mean spirited, jealous or juvenile. :roll:

Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next