View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Best MySpace email.....EVER 
Viking Kong

LoQ, than you so much for sharing this stories and taking the time to type them out!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:41 am
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I want a LoQ autobiography with a load of these cool L.A sunset strip stories! :D

Yup

Acid Wire wrote:
Some dudes on this board are gold mines.

Yes.

And finally, my bit.

Hey, LoQ. I know this seems a bit too private and please forgive me if I am going way out of line, but I would like to know what you did after you took that path. I mean you said that you were one of the kids at that time who were out dreaming that you'd be a rockstar someday. I hope I am not awful to assume that you never made it, but what happened after? This is totally interesting. I mean I can't imagine what musicians would put up with at that time.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:07 pm
Search Button God!

I hope I am not awful to assume that you never made it, but what happened after? This is totally interesting. I mean I can't imagine what musicians would put up with at that time.

The government forced him to stop because his hair was so awesome that it could create a disturbance in the time-space continuum and destroy life as we know it :D

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:19 pm
Viking Kong

Hey, LoQ. I know this seems a bit too private and please forgive me if I am going way out of line, but I would like to know what you did after you took that path. I mean you said that you were one of the kids at that time who were out dreaming that you'd be a rockstar someday. I hope I am not awful to assume that you never made it, but what happened after? This is totally interesting. I mean I can't imagine what musicians would put up with at that time.

Of course you aren't awful to assume I didn't make it Pao. :wink: The odds were stacked against all of us. I mean out of the millions of kids with that dream, only a handful achieved it. Unfortunatly I wasn't part of that handful.

For the past 15 years i've been working as a database analyst and sound engineer for the largest telephone service bureau in the United States. I really just fell into it all. I was hired at the very, VERY bottom doing some menial work and for some reason they liked me and just kept training me in all sorts of stuff and gradually moved me up the corporate ladder, next thing I knew I was the "back up" to certain key people. When those people quit or got laid off suddenly I was no longer the backup but the actual guy in charge of those things. Next thing I know I am the "go to" guy for quite a lot of things. I sit at work a lot of the times when I am in the middle of doing something that is critical to the company that I work for realizing that I am the only one who can do it, and wondering how in the hell I got here. :shock:

Around 2001 my best friend who I have been friends with since we were in competing bands back in the Sunset Strip days, was REALLY pushing me into starting a band with him (he's a singer). I had actually put down the guitar for several years out of anger and resentment of the whole "Pay to Play" thing (it just left an awful taste in my mouth) and just wasn't sure. But he kept at me and next thing I knew I was at Guitar Center buying an Ibanez RG. We formed the band and called it Die My Darling and got signed to a German label called Trisol (Die My Darling is a Goth/Industrial band which is why I never bothered to mention it on here). But after a while I was begining to have certain "issues" with our bass player/producer, so I decided it was best if I just left the band. So my playing is on several songs on the cd, but with someone elses name being credited and face pictured (well I was thanked in the liner notes, but never mentoned as to "why" I was being thanked). After I left, the band slowly started to implode (mainly because of that very guy I had issues with). That was the last band I was in.

So that is the basic and very condensed version of what has become of me. Hopefully I didn't bore you guys too much. Obviously there is a bit more that went on in my life, but I'll just save some of those stories for later. :wink:

Last edited by LoQ on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:39 pm
Viking Kong

It's amazing to know such history!

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:43 pm
Viking Kong

By the way, we should make Paul write a book about his life. Stories around the LA scene, Mr Big, and from there to now. I mean, how much do we know about PG's life in the late 90's apart from him releasing solo pop albums?

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:56 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Awesome story, LoQ 8) Thanks for sharing! You even answered my unsaid question ("How come you can still kick ass on guitar?") :lol:

Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:35 pm
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Awsome LoQ! i like how you said "competing bands back in the Sunset Strip days"

I get the feeling that its kinda like that today aswell XD guitarists always stand with their arms crossed and look and judge haha =)

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Awesome stories, LoQ! I think this thread deserves an induction into Killer Post Heaven if only for those stories.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:11 am
Site Admin

I think the Roxy held the most, then probably Gazzarri's (which is now the Key Club), then the Whisky. If we are going to count the Troubador, then I think the Troub might be slightly smaller than the Whisky. I am just going by my memory here. So I could be wrong.

I'd say it's Gazzarri's (Key Club), Roxy and then Whisky. The only reason I say that is, Metal Skool used to be at Viper, then moved to Roxy...and then Key Club...because it held more people.

Though I went to Roxy and Whisky back in the day...I never saw a show at Gazzarri's....so I don't know if capacity has changed from then to now.

Regards,
Ken

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:32 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I cringe everytime I see that movie. :lol: It hits a little too close to home. I thank my lucky stars that I wasn't in that movie, but I know and have played with a few of those guys who were in it./

I may have posted this before a long time ago...but it's appropriate. My band in 1985, played with Odin. Odin came up to the Bay Area and played in Burlingame (home of Chris Arvan) at a club called Route 66 (John Lee Hooker played there often).

Anyway....we got the middle band slot.....and had all our stuff there for sound check....Odin had this camper. The bass player...I forget his name...was really cool. We hung out at sound....just yacking. But the singer? Randy O from the movie.......in the camper.

So....they get all setup....and it's time....Randy O wanders in from the camper...grabs the mike...and literally just starts screaming....Whoooao whooaaaaaaaaaa whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Practically threw the mic on the ground....yelled IT SUCKS! and stormed back to the camper.

Well...I don't recall exactly...but this may have gone on for an hour. 3...maybe 4 times. Randy finally throws a tantrum and storms back to the camper and proclaims that he's not playing the gig.

Well....Leon, the owner of the club....he'd been around the block a few times....and tells the band...pretty much....Listen you little mutha fuckers.....You're going to play the gig tonight, or I'll make sure you never play a gig from San Jose to San Francisco. Well....Randy finally screams his way to satisfaction....and they play the gig. And if you had the Odin EP (White), the liner had a shot of the marquee that night with our name on it. My claim to "fame".

Randy O EXEMPLIFIED........ LSD. Lead Singer Disease.

Regards,
Ken

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:43 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Unfortunately, Ken, this is very common in the LA music scene, especially with promoters booking clubs on the Sunset Strip, and, worse, many, if not most, bands desperate to play the Sunset Strip jump on the opportunity. There was a time in the 80's where bands had to either pay a deposit up front (e.g. $500) and sell tickets on their own to make their money back, or sell a minimum amount of tickets. If the minimum wasn't sold, either the band would have to come up with the balance owed to the promoter on the evening of the gig or the promoter will confiscate the band's gear until they paid. It is also common even today that some bands actually PAY promoters sizeable chunks of money and not get paid just to open for other more popular bands. The venues don't like that arrangement because they only make $ from drinks.

This is going on in a major way here in Detroit. It's causing a lot of animosity between bands and clubs alike. It's a pretty shitty thing to do.

"playing the crazy double neck,screaming my lungs out,playing crazy licks.....enjoy!"

My future ex-wife is Milla Natasha Jovovich..... and monkeys will fly out of my butt.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:49 am
God Of The Sun

I love that if you google on Odin... you find nothing at all close to them XD

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:50 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I remember seeing those guys in the movie. As far as i recall, they seemed like a bunch of huge rockstar-wannabes. Guess Ken's post confirms it :).

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:56 am
Site Admin

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/odin/dont.shtml

Band bio
http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/odin/odin.shtml

http://www.odinmetal.com/

Jeff Duncan plays guitar in The Thornbirds....Russ Parrish's (Metal Skool) original band. They are very good and should have more recognition.

http://www.myspace.com/mightyodin

Listen to Don't Take No For An Answer...and you will understand the screaming I heard at sound check....LOL

Regards,
Ken

Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:12 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

LoQ wrote:
I think the Roxy held the most, then probably Gazzarri's (which is now the Key Club), then the Whisky. If we are going to count the Troubador, then I think the Troub might be slightly smaller than the Whisky. I am just going by my memory here. So I could be wrong.

I'd say it's Gazzarri's (Key Club), Roxy and then Whisky. The only reason I say that is, Metal Skool used to be at Viper, then moved to Roxy...and then Key Club...because it held more people.

Though I went to Roxy and Whisky back in the day...I never saw a show at Gazzarri's....so I don't know if capacity has changed from then to now.

I'm pretty sure the capaicty has changed. When they closed Gazzarri's and reopened it as Billboard Live, they did redo the floorplan and made it larger. I haven't been there since Billboard Live closed down and reopened as the Key Club. So they might have done some more altering.

But Gazzarri's could have been larger to begin with. It's been a while and my memory isn't quite what it used to be. :wink:

Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:31 am
Viking Kong

You even answered my unsaid question ("How come you can still kick ass on guitar?") :lol:

Aww...thanks Pao. Coming from you that is quite a compliment. :D

Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:43 am
God Of The Sun

Here's the record

Band bio

Jeff Duncan plays guitar in The Thornbirds....Russ Parrish's (Metal Skool) original band. They are very good and should have more recognition.

Listen to Don't Take No For An Answer...and you will understand the screaming I heard at sound check....LOL

so they still live? nice :D

It´s ironic that they are a bigger band than my band hand have an album named "Human Animal" XD

Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Here's the record

Band bio

Its Dave St. Hubbins!

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:31 pm
Viking Kong

Omg, 20 years, and he looks nothing like he did with Tap! :lol:

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next