View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Best MySpace email.....EVER 
Viking Kong

So Whisky was the biggest club right? or ? can someone sort them into a list of the venues size? it could be cool =)

No I think the Whisky might have been the smallest in size (but the richest in history) compared to the rest of the clubs on the strip.

There were only three clubs that had live music on the few city blocks of Sunset Blvd that was considered "The Strip". They were The Whisky, The Roxy, and Gazzarri's (The Rainbow is just a bar and resturaunt with no live bands). As I said earlier, the Troubador was just a couple of blocks away from the strip down on Santa Monica, so it doesn't "offiicially" count as a Sunset Strip Club, but it really kinda is.

I don't remember what the exact capacity was for those clubs. If I were to guess I think the Roxy held the most, then probably Gazzarri's (which is now the Key Club), then the Whisky. If we are going to count the Troubador, then I think the Troub might be slightly smaller than the Whisky. I am just going by my memory here. So I could be wrong.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:53 pm
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)

But if i have got it right, it was the most prestige to play at the Whisky?

Quite wierd if its smaller then The Roxy and places like that :S Maybe it sounded better? =)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

All the bands must have been BROKE and even some in debt. Apart from the ones with super rich parents :roll:

You nailed it. If you wanted to headline on the Strip on a Friday or Saturday night, all you needed was $$$ and you could just simply buy yourself a headlining slot and a bunch of full page ads in Rock City News (the local free music magazine). That was actually how Pretty Boy Floyd did it. BTW for the record I have nothing against Pretty Boy Floyd. I was pretty friendly with Steve (the singer) and Kari(the drummer), I'm just stating the way it was. They did a total of six shows in six months. All headlining gigs that they paid for (well the major production company that one of the band members brother owned that was putting on all their shows) and suddenly they were signed.

They came running out of the gate with the best clothes, best gear, best stage equiptment, etc. You would see quite a few bands like that.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:20 pm
Viking Kong

Cool!

They were all pretty legendary clubs. So many bands that I idolized played at all of those clubs. As far as "prestiege", well by the mid to late 80's you could buy a slot at any of those clubs. So to play at them wasn't like your band being worthy enough to play there. That was the bummer of "pay to play". When I lived in Florida (before I moved to L.A.) to play at the rock clubs down there, your band had to prove itself that it was worthy to play in those clubs. In L.A. you just needed to be willing to spend the cash. :(

ReXiX wrote:
Quite wierd if its smaller then The Roxy and places like that :S Maybe it sounded better? =)

You would be very surprised as to how "ordinary" those clubs are/were. When I first came out to L.A. I couldn't wait to check out these legendary clubs that I have been hearing about for most of my life. When I finally walked inside of them I was like "This is it? This is the Whisky?" I imagined the place to be HUGE. But its not. If I were to guess, maybe it has a max capacity of 600-700. Again I could be wrong, but that is how I remember it.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:32 pm
God Of The Sun

ReXiX wrote:
Cool!

They were all pretty legendary clubs. So many bands that I idolized played at all of those clubs. As far as "prestiege", well by the mid to late 80's you could buy a slot at any of those clubs. So to play at them wasn't like your band being worthy enough to play there. That was the bummer of "pay to play". When I lived in Florida (before I moved to L.A.) to play at the rock clubs down there, your band had to prove itself that it was worthy to play in those clubs. In L.A. you just needed to be willing to spend the cash. :(

ReXiX wrote:

You would be very surprised as to how "ordinary" those clubs are/were. When I first came out to L.A. I couldn't wait to check out these legendary clubs that I have been hearing about for most of my life. When I finally walked inside of them I was like "This is it? This is the Whisky?" I imagined the place to be HUGE. But its not. If I were to guess, maybe it has a max capacity of 600-700. Again I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info :)

That makes me think on one band ... "Mötley Crue" they didnt have any money at all, how did they get gigs, i guess that it was posible to book gigs at free places aswell, but i think that in their book The Dirt that they played the Whisky and Roxy and places like that, but they didnt have a budget at all.

600-700 aint that much! Cool stuff :)

i couldnt really imagine how broke everyone must have been! and you had to have your own gear to the gig aswell right? so you probably needed some stacks and a good guitar. You have played gig on those places, did you have to bring your own PA and stuff or was it there? (just curious)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

pgmpower wrote:
All the bands must have been BROKE and even some in debt. Apart from the ones with super rich parents :roll:

You nailed it. If you wanted to headline on the Strip on a Friday or Saturday night, all you needed was $$$ and you could just simply buy yourself a headlining slot and a bunch of full page ads in Rock City News (the local free music magazine). That was actually how Pretty Boy Floyd did it. BTW for the record I have nothing against Pretty Boy Floyd. I was pretty friendly with Steve (the singer) and Kari(the drummer), I'm just stating the way it was. They did a total of six shows in six months. All headlining gigs that they paid for (well the major production company that one of the band members brother owned that was putting on all their shows) and suddenly they were signed.

They came running out of the gate with the best clothes, best gear, best stage equiptment, etc. You would see quite a few bands like that.

Still, that must have really sucked for the guys that were working for endless years trying to get thier band signed. Even ones who might have alot more actual talent than Pretty Boy Floyd :(

So after yrs and yrs of being physically and financially drained, all that hard work... then a band comes along with the comfort of extra finance, plays 6 gigs and gets themselves a deal. I don't know about anybody else but that would be pretty damn frustrating. :?

Paul

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:12 pm
Viking Kong

That makes me think on one band ... "Mötley Crue" they didnt have any money at all, how did they get gigs, i guess that it was posible to book gigs at free places aswell, but i think that in their book The Dirt that they played the Whisky and Roxy and places like that, but they didnt have a budget at all.

Pay to play wasn't around when Crue were a local band. But you bring up an interesting point. Back then I would always say that in order to make it you need to be either really rich or really poor. If you were really rich you could buy your fame through the means that I mentioned in prior posts and spend all the time you needed on your band. If you were really poor, you had nothing to lose so you could spend all day and night non-stop working on your band, promoting, etc. (like Crue and GnR did)

If you were in the middle, with a decent job, financial responsabilties, etc, well then you had something lose which meant you had to dedicate some of your time to that and not with the band.

ReXiX wrote:
600-700 aint that much! Cool stuff :).

Nope not at all. IMO bands sounded the best at the Whisky. Bands sounded the worst at Gazzarri's or the Troubador.

ReXiX wrote:
i couldnt really imagine how broke everyone must have been! and you had to have your own gear to the gig aswell right? so you probably needed some stacks and a good guitar. You have played gig on those places, did you have to bring your own PA and stuff or was it there? (just curious)

You didn't need to have a PA, lights, etc. The clubs supplied that. Of course you needed to have you own guitars, amps, and drums.

However on Monday nights, the Whisky had their "No Bozo Jam", which was like 15 bands playing all in one night, doing 20 minute sets on the house equiptment. So all you needed to bring was you guitars and basses and just plug in. The drums were already set up, as well as the amps (Marshall stacks and Trace Elliot amps). So when one band was done playing and walked off the stage, another came right on and plugged in. Now playing there was a BIG deal. No pay to play for that. To play monday nights at the Whisky you needed to be liked by the Whisky.

Monday was the best night for the Whisky back then. It was always packed. So many different types of bands playing (you could have a punk band, followed by a glam band, followed have a heavy metal band, etc) which meant there were so many different types of music fans there. Your band would be exposed to people who normally wouldn't come out to your type of shows. A band would really build a good following from those No Bozo Jams. We played a lot of those. That was our favorite thing to do. If you were booked for those gigs you were happy.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:17 pm
Viking Kong

So after yrs and yrs of being physically and financially drained, all that hard work... then a band comes along with the comfort of extra finance, plays 6 gigs and gets themselves a deal. I don't know about anybody else but that would be pretty damn frustrating. :?

Paul

Which is why they were hated by so many of the other bands in the scene. Pretty Boy Floyd would claim it was jelousy from all the other bands, which of course was part of it, but it was a small part of it. It was basicially anger and frustration just as you have described

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:20 pm
God Of The Sun

Thank you for the information LoQ! Those Mondays sounds awsome! i wish i would have been living back then and played with a cool band at the whisky :D

PS, check your forum inbox

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Thanks for sharing all these stories LoQ, I never knew that stuff! I guess that's why I've always loved you, I learn more from you than I do from my teachers at school :lol:

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:18 am
God Of The Sun

I want a LoQ autobiography with a load of these cool L.A sunset strip stories! :D

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:33 am
Viking Kong

Hell yeah LoQ, make your own thread and tell the story about how you moved from Florida to LA, what happened with different bands, and what you did when the scene died out etc! I'd easily buy that in a book store!

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:43 am
God Of The Sun

Hell yeah LoQ, make your own thread and tell the story about how you moved from Florida to LA, what happened with different bands, and what you did when the scene died out etc! I'd easily buy that in a book store!

THE coolest idea of the month.

*Do it! Do it! Do it!*

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:50 am
God Of The Sun

Btw, how accurate in describing that whole thing is the movie The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years?

I saw it sometime ago (the whole thing is avaliable on Google Video, btw) and i thought it brought a lot of valid arguments but i dunno to what extent are they true.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:59 am
Viking Kong

Thanks guys. Y'all make me feel like I am some wise old man, as opposed to some idiot who never succeeded at acheiving his dream (which is how a feel a lot of the time :P)

SambaBoy wrote:

LOL!!! :lol: My story is no different than the millions of other kids who moved to L.A. with dreams of becoming a rockstar. :wink:

Thanks for the compliments and the inspiration Samba, but I think it's cooler that I just hold these stories back and wait for the right opportunity to appear for me to share. This way it appears that I have more stories than I actually do LOL! :P :lol: :wink:

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:01 am
Viking Kong

:lol: I like the way you said that Grunge didn't kill metal though, it ended up killing itself, which was what I always thought all along. I find that the originality of the LA bands ceased more and more, so it was probably bound to happend. I guess we'd all be sick of hair metal if it still went on today! :lol:

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:14 am
Viking Kong

Btw, how accurate in describing that whole thing is the movie The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years?

I saw it sometime ago (the whole thing is avaliable on Google Video, btw) and i thought it brought a lot of valid arguments but i dunno to what extent are they true.

I cringe everytime I see that movie. :lol: It hits a little too close to home. I thank my lucky stars that I wasn't in that movie, but I know and have played with a few of those guys who were in it.

I would say it was accurate. But it showed just a small part of the scene at that time. I mean the scene was pretty diverese with all sorts of different types of music and people. But all those people were real and most of them were an active part of the scene, however that movie showed just one part of it all. Like with every scene there were many sides and many stories. I wish it wouldn't have come off as silly and had been more like Decline part 1 (the one about the L.A. punk scene), but I guess it came out that way because that was just the way some of us came off :oops:

Here are some funny and interesting things about a few of the people in that movie..

That one kid who swore up and down that he would "make it", never did (obvioulsy). My band at the time shared a rehersal space with his band. When our rehersal time was up for the night and his band would come in to setup, one of the guys in my band (who would love to break people's balls) would always end up immitating him from the movie saying "Oh but I will make it!". One of my old band members swears that he saw him on an episode of COPS being talked out of commiting suicide.

That other kid wearing the hat saying he would never wear makeup with the execption of a little eyeliner, well a year or two later he dyed his hair funky colors, wore tons and tons of make-up, AND wore a skirt! No lie! His name was Mikey (and he was a hell of a drummer), I was friends with him for a bit before I realized he was that person (He really looked different with all the make-up, etc). When I finally realized that it was him, I said to him "So Mikey I just watched Decline the other day, you'll never wear any make-up, huh? lol!" Thinking we would have a laugh about it. But instead he didn't say a word, not a one. I guess he got a lot of crap because of that movie and was just sick of it. So I quickly changed the subject.

Oh and among those being interviewed were members of what was at the time a hugely popular local band called Tuff. It's lead singer Steve Rochelle has finally unmasked himself as the man who created and runs the hugely popular website Metal Sludge. http://www.metalsludge.tv/

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:30 am
God Of The Sun

Simon wrote:

I cringe everytime I see that movie. :lol: It hits a little too close to home. I thank my lucky stars that I wasn't in that movie, but I know and have played with a few of those guys who were in it.

I would say it was accurate. But it showed just a small part of the scene at that time. I mean the scene was pretty diverese with all sorts of different types of music and people. But all those people were real and most of them were an active part of the scene, however that movie showed just one part of it all. Like with every scene there were many sides and many stories. I wish it wouldn't have come off as silly and had been more like Decline part 1 (the one about the L.A. punk scene), but I guess it came out that way because that was just the way some of us came off :oops:

Here are some funny and interesting things about a few of the people in that movie..

That one kid who swore up and down that he would "make it", never did (obvioulsy). My band at the time shared a rehersal space with his band. When our rehersal time was up for the night and his band would come in to setup, one of the guys in my band (who would love to break people's balls) would always end up immitating him from the movie saying "Oh but I will make it!". One of my old band members swears that he saw him on an episode of COPS being talked out of commiting suicide.

That other kid wearing the hat saying he would never wear makeup with the execption of a little eyeliner, well a year or two later he dyed his hair funky colors, wore tons and tons of make-up, AND wore a skirt! No lie! His name was Mikey (and he was a hell of a drummer), I was friends with him for a bit before I realized he was that person (He really looked different with all the make-up, etc). When I finally realized that it was him, I said to him "So Mikey I just watched Decline the other day, you'll never wear any make-up, huh? lol!" Thinking we would have a laugh about it. But instead he didn't say a word, not a one. I guess he got a lot of crap because of that movie and was just sick of it. So I quickly changed the subject.

Oh and among those being interviewed were members of what was at the time a hugely popular local band called Tuff. It's lead singer Steve Rochelle has finally unmasked himself as the man who created and runs the hugely popular website Metal Sludge. http://www.metalsludge.tv/

Wow...you just made the movie look a whole lot cooler (well, there's nothing cool about that, i hope you get what i'm trying to say). Thank you so much for those stories :D.

I have yet to watch the other parts, though.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:43 am
Viking Kong

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:46 am
God Of The Sun

im watching the movie now =) haha ozzy is the best juice pourer ever :D

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next