View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Best MySpace email.....EVER 
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
flying-dino wrote:
* Do you think you'd get a glorious 3 pm slot opening for (insert unknown local band with 16 fans including the girlfriends, roadies, and their kids) ?!
* Would you have to sell tickets on the hottest July day to get that slot?
* Is this at a VFW rent-a-hall?
* Does your band name have to be the same size as all the other band names on the flyers you'll have to distribute yourselves?
* Payment: do you get to choose a free case of domestic beer, or $10 a person?
* Let me guess, you're supposed to share a backline, and that backline is a bunch of Wal-Mart Brand gear.
* Is the ''promoter'' of legal age to drink?

+1 lucas

+1 :D

Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

and said, No, he didn't know who they were.

When I replied.....the drummer was from a little band called, Judas Priest....he said

our drummer will take on ur drummer any day douche bag!!!

PRICELESS.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

He should team up with igotaafro :D

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:52 am
God Of The Sun

PRICELESS.

HAHAHAHA he must be high or something! and what a mature answer hahaha XD

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

:lol:

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:42 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

did you mention the fact that most of the members of THIS band have award winning records, golds platinums etc

that TWO of them are nominated for GRAMMYS

that the guitarist has had more signature ibanezs mass produced than ANY other artist EVER

that EVERY one of them have played stadiums bigger than a small country lol

oh dear oh dear....

take em down ken

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

PRICELESS.

HAHAHA! Yeah right! This guy must be an absolute loser! :lol:

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:31 pm
Viking Kong

Unfortunately, Ken, this is very common in the LA music scene, especially with promoters booking clubs on the Sunset Strip, and, worse, many, if not most, bands desperate to play the Sunset Strip jump on the opportunity. There was a time in the 80's where bands had to either pay a deposit up front (e.g. $500) and sell tickets on their own to make their money back, or sell a minimum amount of tickets. If the minimum wasn't sold, either the band would have to come up with the balance owed to the promoter on the evening of the gig or the promoter will confiscate the band's gear until they paid. It is also common even today that some bands actually PAY promoters sizeable chunks of money and not get paid just to open for other more popular bands. The venues don't like that arrangement because they only make $ from drinks.

He is 100% correct. Myself and the rest of my peers back in the 80s/early 90's on the sunset strip were forced into it if we wanted to play the Strip. It was called "Pay to Play" or as the promoters called it "Presale".

The promoters argument is that if you're band is any good you shouldn't have any problems selling your share of the tickets. However you are sharing the bill with four or five other bands who also trying to sell their tickets as well and it can get very ugly and very fierce! One show we did we had to sell 80 tickets at $10.00 (for a total presale of $800). We took the show because it was a Saturday night at the Roxy, we had a decent following and so did the other bands on the bill as well. We were pretty confident that the show was going to be packed, so moving 80 tickets shouldn't be an issue. See how it all works is the box office sold the tickets for $13.00, or people can buy them from the bands at a discount for $10 (which was how much the tickets cost us. The bands just wanted to break even) . There would be full page ads in the local music magazines promoting the show with the bands' phone numbers, as well as all of us being on the Sunset Strip every weekend with the tickets to sell and handing out flyers with our phone number to call for "advance discount tickets".

Well we noticed for this show we weren't getting a whole lot of calls and what few calls we did get were asking us why we are selling our tickets for $10.00 when another band on the bill was selling their tickets for $5.00? So the fans who were calling us were thinking that we are gouging our prices and trying to make a buck off of them! We were pissed. :evil: We immedeatly called the promoter thinking that thay gave this other band some kind of deal. They told us that wasn't the case and every band on the bill had the same $10.00 ticket price. So we called the band that was selling the $5.00 tickets and found out that they basically had rich parents who were paying their bills which included paying for their presales, so that band decided as a "gift to their fans" to take a $400 loss and sell their tickets for half price (not to mention they went back to the promoters and bought more advance tickets to sell at half price). So this meant that NO ONE was buying tickets form us or any of the other bands on the bill. A $400 loss for this band meant $800 losses for the rest of us! It was a nightmare. We were all just scraping to survive (Sometimes we wouldn't eat for days, and get some girls on the strip to buy us dinner).

So now if we didn't come up with our share of the money by soundcheck, we would get our gear taken away after the show. :evil: So we all had to swallow our pride and call our parents, friends, or anyone we knew with some kind of cash begging them for money to make sure this didn't happen. We evetually got the money.

Another pay to play show we did our drummer got his drums confiscated as collateral since we didn't have the full amount of money required by soundcheck. The reason they got his drums and not the rest of our gear is because once our show was over the rest of us and our crew were able to quickly run off stage with our gear (It's much easier to quickly grab your guitars,bass,and amps and haul ass off the stage than it is for drums). So the drummer became the sacrifcial lamb. He was the only one who didn't have his share of the money for the promoter anyway so it became an "every man for himself" mentality (yep that system was really great at dividing up band members within a band).

It really sucked and I blame the whole "Pay to Play" as one of the main reasons why the Sunset Strip Scene died in the 90's. Some dipshits will try and blame Grunge, that's bullshit becuase when Grunge hit there were plenty of Grunge bands popping up all over L.A.. It's just that the whole pay to play left a horrible taste in every one's mouth's , so bands finally said "fuck it" and moved to playing smaller clubs that weren't on the Sunset strip. So it's now dead. Dead and buried!

A year ago the guys in one of my old bands tracked me down and wanted for all of us to meet to hang out and catch up. So we decided to meet at the Rainbow for dinner and drinks, and then take a walk down the Sunset Strip for oldtimes sake. It was depressing. It was a Friday night and there was nothing. The sidewalks that used to be packed with so many people that it took you a half hour to just walk a block, now looked just like any other street. Just the 3 or 4 occasional people walking by. We strolled over to the Whiskey (The club we played at the most, our home away from home) and it was dark and closed for the night. It was 11pm on a Friday night. Back in the day it was so packed around there on a Friday night that you would sometimes have to walk into the street to get around the massive crowd.

Fucking pay to play!

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:30 pm
Superhero

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:06 pm
God Of The Sun

Interesting story LoQ. Seems like it wasn't all we think it was back in the 80's.

I wonder how Racer X got on with this "Pay to Play" thing???

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:12 pm
Viking Kong

I wonder how Racer X got on with this "Pay to Play" thing???

Well you would have to ask Paul that one. I can only speculate that maybe they played the Strip before pay to play took off (the mid to late 80's is when the whole Pay to Play thing really started taking off). Also I know they played the Troubadour a lot, and the Troubadour didn't do pay to play. "Technically" the Troubadour wasn't a Sunset Strip club (although it is located just one block down on Santa Monica Blvd.).

If Pay to Play was in effect when Racer X was still local, they might have gotten around doing it because they were such a huge local band and would have no problem packing places to capacity. See what a lot of promoters would do is book one huge local band, a band that would always sell out the clubs whenever they played (usually a band that was just about to get a major record deal). Then book four other local bands on the bill and make them do pay to play and use that money from those bands to pay the headliner (and pocket the rest).

There were a few local headlining bands that could pack in places like that, but most of the other headlining strip bands would have to presale as well. :(

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Question: How big were they exactly? I mean, by the way you say it, I would assume that someone from a major label would have at least noticed them. Why'd they have a hard time getting signed to one?

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:05 pm
Search Button God!

Why'd they have a hard time getting signed to one?

KenHower wrote:
While their legendary musicianship exceeded all of their peers at the time, and the band was selling out every show, they were not generating any major label interest. They had several showcase shows, the most famous being the CBS Showcase show mentioned above. But none of the AR folks "got" Racer X. There was always some excuse...either the songs weren't girl friendly enough, or the band didn't look right or stupid things like Jeff's hair was too short. But one problem that would have been obvious back in 1988, was that even though the shows were constant sell-outs, the crowds weren't crazy party crowds. The typical Racer X crowd was a bunch of musicians, with arms folded studying the band and in a state of shock over their musical abilities. They became a victim of their own success.

http://racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=10479

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:11 pm
Viking Kong

Interesting story LoQ!

Question: How big were they exactly? I mean, by the way you say it, I would assume that someone from a major label would have at least noticed them. Why'd they have a hard time getting signed to one?

I wish I could answer that one for you Pao, unfortunatly I hadn't arrived in L.A. yet when Racer X was still local and unsigned (they were already signed to Shrapnel when I arrived). So I couldn't tell you.

When I was part of the L.A. Music scene there were a few local bands that would totally sell out clubs on the Strip that never got signed. Tuff, Brunette, The Zeros to name a few. The Zeros were so huge that everyone was totally expecting them to become the next big thing. They were huge for a couple of years. People would line up around the block to see them. But it never happened. Yet shitty bands like Pretty Boy Floyd did only six shows in six months with a not so big following and they got signed (they had some big financial backing, so the rumor was they bought their deal).

A lot of the time it would seem like the local favorites that would sell out clubs would get ignored by the record labels, while a lot of the not so popular bands that would have a hard time filling a club would get signed. It was very frustrating!

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:21 pm
God Of The Sun

the pay to play thing sounds bad :(

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:07 pm
God Of The Sun

real interesting LoQ!

But good if you own the club.

All the bands must have been BROKE and even some in debt. Apart from the ones with super rich parents :roll:

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 pm
God Of The Sun

Volkan wrote:
real interesting LoQ!

All the bands must have been BROKE and even some in debt. Apart from the ones with super rich parents :roll:

I hate those kinda guys that have jacksons, solid state marshall stacks, skipped mid ranges and trying to play trivium :roll: :P

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:21 pm
God Of The Sun

pgmpower wrote:
Volkan wrote:
real interesting LoQ!

I hate those kinda guys that have jacksons, solid state marshall stacks, skipped mid ranges and trying to play trivium :roll: :P

Random.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:44 pm
God Of The Sun

i always thought that back in the 80s that it was easier to get paying gigs! well i was apprently wrong :O

In Sweden you don´t have to pay to get the small club gigs, but if you want to play at a bigger stage you have to get choosen from the club... and if you want to get choosen you better have ALOT of Emo fangirls.... (yeah i have to take one for the team :twisted: )

So Whisky was the biggest club right? or ? can someone sort them into a list of the venues size? it could be cool =)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Volkan wrote:
pgmpower wrote:
Volkan wrote:
real interesting LoQ!

Random.

indeed.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next