View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:46 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 People Angry at Paul Gilbert 
Dr. X

yeah, maybe paul's solo success enabled him to get a deal for Racer X even though most people aren't interrested in HM anymore :? .. if paul hadn't gone solo and stayed in R X maybe R X would now be gone permanently

I agree. It's easy for us to sit up here in 2007 and talk about what they woulda/shoulds/coulda done. Fact is, in the 80's, everybody was in a rock band, and they were all heading to LA. I don't think Racer X would have fought their way above the LA Guns and Axl Rose's and Ratt's and Faster Pussycat's. Seriously. Paul made a good move with Big, a band that I've liked since I first heard Addicted on the radio.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:30 am
Viking Kong

Beckerxguitarist wrote:
Who the fuck are we or anyone else to get mad (even hate?) at Paul for not staying with Racer X? Saying things like "Paul fucked up" or "Paul made a huge mistake" is fucking stupid. I can't believe anyone would say things like that about someone they don't know. Of course we all wish that Racer X would've stayed together but I am happy that Paul made the decision to join Mr. Big, for him it was an advancement as a musician. He made it to the big leagues. Nobody can be mad at him for not staying with Racer X because he inconvenienced you. If you met him would you just say "Hey Paul I'm pissed off because you left Racer X, you made a huge mistake." Think about what an ass you would sound like saying that to him. If you would actually say or think that then you're a selfish prick. Do you think we deserve an apology from him for not doing what we want? It's our fault for not being alive back then and following the band and advertising them. You should all be happy that he didn't pull some Axl shit and slowly kill the band...

Nah I'm not pissed off at Paul for that, my buddies are though, my own opinion is that it's pretty sad it happened. But the other guys tried to keep Racer X goin for a while, if it was really a "we don't give a shit band" they wouldn't have gone looking for Chris Arvan, it looks like Bruce and Co. wanted to keep the band, and it feels a bit like a let down from Paul. I'm not looking for any apology from Paul, heck I'm not his mom.

Remember the main reason I posted this is just to know what the rest of the band felt like about it.

Are your friends in bands? They must not be serious if they are...cause it takes a HUGE amount of effort to get one band famous, let alone two.
The amount of money put into recording and promoting for both bands would have killed, and plus he'd have to work more and more.

Ask your friends: would you choose a band that was going to make it world wide (playing music that you liked and still keeping your metal edge), or choosing a band that wasn't going to make it (still playing music that you liked)?

How could you choose both? I wouldn't choose Racer X because I've never really seen them as anything else but a famous local band in LA. Heck yeah, they were awesome, but they were a local band.

And BTW, the biggest market these days: Teen girls. If you can't sell to teen girls, forget it.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:06 pm
Tab Master

I was thinking (again) earlier, why the hell did Mike Varney sign Racer X????

He knew Paul when he was 15, they recorded LEV1&2 in 1989, about 5 years later. I'm sure Mike knew that Paul and BRuce WERE something special, what held him back?

Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:43 pm
Unt! I move topics!

Speaking as someone who was a huge Racer X fan back in the late 80's, I was extremely disappointed when Paul left Racer X. I thought Racer X was destined to be the next Van Halen.

I was cautiously optimistic that Mr. Big could be almost as awesome as Racer X because Billy Sheehan was an amazing bass player and combination of Paul and Billy seemed full of potential. And when I heard Addicted to That Rush, although I didn't like it as much as Racer X, I thought Mr. Big was going to kick ass. Sadly, when I bought the first Mr. Big record, I was very disappointed that Addicted was the only song I really liked. So I wasn't happy that Paul had left Racer X for Mr. Big. That's not to say I was mad at him, just disappointed with his musical direction.

In retrospect, Racer X wasn't going anywhere. They couldn't get a major record deal and probably never would have. And the metal scene dried up a few years later and shred became a four letter word. So if Paul's success with Mr. Big enabled Racer X to reform and give us three new studio records, then I guess I'm happy Paul joined Mr. Big. But I'll never be a Mr. Big fan.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Sadly, when I bought the first Mr. Big record, I was very disappointed that Addicted was the only song I really liked.

I listen to tracks 1, 2, and 3. And maybe 30 Days in the Hole. The rest.... no. Doesn't get it done for me. But like you, I saw a lot of potential with the Sheehan/Gilbert combo, because Sheehan was fresh off the DLR thing with Vai, which was awesome, so I think we anticipated that level of awesomeness out of Big.

And Big wasn't bad. It just wasn't Eat 'Em And Smile.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:25 pm
Viking Kong

yeah I agree with the surg. Honestly I never liked Eric martin's Voice, and the real rock and roll tracks were too few... we had lots of eric martin singing (that sounds more like winging) on music that was way too soft for me; it doesn't get my heart faster and it doesn't sound that exiting to hear Mr.Big for me, I'm a real 240 bpm tempo addict (and there wasn't any track with that kind of tempo on Getting Heavier, that's what I think is one of the reasons why many people were disappointed and that Racer X album fell a bit behind, the tracks were all Miss Misstreater kind of speed)... I like maybe Addicted to that rush and Daddy brother lover little boy, though Paul kind of went weird with the solo, and I saw that interview where he explained he was more conserned with the rythm, so that's why the solo didn't sound that cool even though it was fast...

Anyway... Mr.big was too soft Rock for me, I wasn't that happy when I heard the tracks. But I guess it enabled Paul to pull the band back together which is a good thing

Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:45 am
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Daddy brother lover little boy, though Paul kind of went weird with the solo, and I saw that interview where he explained he was more conserned with the rythm, so that's why the solo didn't sound that cool even though it was fast...

Anyway... Mr.big was too soft Rock for me, I wasn't that happy when I heard the tracks. But I guess it enabled Paul to pull the band back together which is a good thing

I actually think the Daddy brother lover littleboy solo is really cool. Its blazing fast and still go melodic and its so many parts that justs blows you away :) I agree that Mr.Big dont get that well in my heart exept when you sit with your pillow and cry...

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Acid Wire wrote:
Daddy brother lover little boy, though Paul kind of went weird with the solo, and I saw that interview where he explained he was more conserned with the rythm, so that's why the solo didn't sound that cool even though it was fast...

I actually think the Daddy brother lover littleboy solo is really cool. Its blazing fast and still go melodic and its so many parts that justs blows you away :) I agree that Mr.Big dont get that well in my heart exept when you sit with your pillow and cry...

ah indeed, but there is only one band for that ......OASIS 8)

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:24 am
Viking Kong

yeah the daddy brother lover little boy solo sure was fast and it sounded good... but I've heard Paul do better, I mean if I had to write a "best solos by paul gilbert list" it would be in it... but I'd put it near the bottom

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:22 pm
Promises to use Search button

Racer X and Mr. Big were two totally different bands, I like them both and I think it shows Paul's diversity, going from shred metal to more of just a rock style. I like the vocal melodies on a lot of the Mr. Big stuff, and with Racer X I really like the speed, I dont know I have pretty diverse taste in the rock/metal scene, as long as its nothing thats "new age" or whatever you want to call it, Nickleback could never play another song and I'd be happy.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:37 am
Site Admin

I was thinking (again) earlier, why the hell did Mike Varney sign Racer X????

Because Shrapnel doesn't "sign" a band...they have no promotion...just distribution. So, you'll rarely here a Shrapnel track on the radio, unless a DJ picks it up.

Regards,
Ken

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:51 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Mr Big has always been a really strange band to me. At one side you've got the heavier song like addicted and at the other side the mere ballads like to be with you. I think a lot of the people who came to a concert for the ballads where getting blown out of the audience by the heavier songs and a lot of the people who came for the kick ass solo's etc might have been dissapointed by the ballads. Although I don't like most of the slower songs they seem well written to me and some of the heavier songs actually kick a lot of ass IMO. Maybe that's one of the reasons for their big succes. The band seemed to please nearly everyone with some songs but not with all. A band like Racer X seems to be more straight to the point. You probably either love fast heavy metal or you hate it and that gives a band a smaller (though more loyal and devoted) audience.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:29 am
Viking Kong

Clearly the difference in music within Mr Big was due to the wide variety of influences each player in the band had... PG alone spans from the Beatles to Black Sabbath, etc...

Mr. Big RULED!!!

But what the phuq do I know, I liked St. Anger, VHlll and the Motley album w/Corabi on vocals... :?

:twisted:

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:15 pm
Search Button God!

Mr. Big RULED!!!

Amen brother :twisted:

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:42 pm
Viking Kong

Xelatunes wrote:
Mr. Big RULED!!!

VIVE LE RESISTENCE !!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:01 pm
Viking Kong

Mr. Big RULED!!!

But what the phuq do I know, I liked St. Anger, VHlll and the Motley album w/Corabi on vocals... :?

:twisted:

Ten Four.

Except St Anger... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superhero

Lamer wrote:
Xelatunes wrote:
Mr. Big RULED!!!

VIVE LE RESISTENCE !!!

I'm with you hermano

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:15 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Lamer wrote:
Xelatunes wrote:
Mr. Big RULED!!!

VIVE LE RESISTENCE !!!

it's Vive la resistance you traitor. lol :P

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:40 am
Superhero

I love mr big too, and i think eric has a great voice.

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:04 am
Viking Kong

Xelatunes wrote:
Lamer wrote:
Xelatunes wrote:
Mr. Big RULED!!!

VIVE LE RESISTENCE !!!

I'm with you hermano

ME CAY CABRON que estos bueyes no saben ni madres !!! :twisted:

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:36 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next