View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:40 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 People Angry at Paul Gilbert 
Viking Kong

Post People Angry at Paul Gilbert
Hey you all...

I was listening to Racer X with friends, I bought Racer X cd's I already owned to make them presents, and the people who loved it said to me,

they read Racer X's history, and they were really pissed off Racer X didn't make it to be famous because of Paul leaving the band,

especially when they read Chris Arvan's interview where he said Racer X was ahead of its time, and some of my friends reckon if they had waited a bit longer they could have become a huge band,

and not a band you never see live that's hard to buy their cds (especially for me), and that's lost their second guitarist that didn't wanna reunite.

Honestly, I don't hate Paul for that, don't get me wrong I like him a lot, but I really reckon Paul fucked up on this one, Racer X is my favorite Rock band, and it could have been better. But then of course, Paul had his dreams, and he had an offer from Billy which wasn't like an offer from the first Bass guitar playing bum walking down the street...

So I'm wondering, if anyone is a bit pissed off at Paul too, and did it create some tension at the time between the band members? How does Paul feel about his leaving the band at the time etc?... What did Bruce, Scott John and Jeff think?

Rock and roll

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:50 pm
Dr. X

I can't speak to this particular situation.... undoubtedly, there are people here that can and will.

I will say, however, that if you or I were in a band, and Billy Sheehan called up one of our bandmates and asked if he wanted to do something really cool, it would be pretty childish of us to get pissed off about that. True, sometimes people do get pissed off over that stuff, especially with the egos involved in the music world. But that doesn't make it right. I'm glad that Paul and clan were able to rise above that.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:55 pm
Superhero

It blows my mind Racer X never made it huge, they have everything, catchy awsome demanding vocals, amazing songs, the deadlist guitairng on the planet, in harmony!!! amazing live shows (from what ive seen on vids).
and all of there songs are great, not just a few here and there.

what went wrong!? :?

who knows what would of happen if paul never left, but im so glad they came back together though!

Im not angry at paul for leaving, it must of been so frustrating beeing in this killer band, writing great tunes, playing great licks and still not really getting anywhere.

Im angry at everyone who didnt get into Racer X!

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:01 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I can't speak to this particular situation.... undoubtedly, there are people here that can and will.

I will say, however, that if you or I were in a band, and Billy Sheehan called up one of our bandmates and asked if he wanted to do something really cool, it would be pretty childish of us to get pissed off about that. True, sometimes people do get pissed off over that stuff, especially with the egos involved in the music world. But that doesn't make it right. I'm glad that Paul and clan were able to rise above that.

I agree with this one. Billy Sheehan is established already and like what happened with Racer X, they still weren't signed to a major label. Just think of it this way, WHAT IF Paul didn't join Billy Sheehan in making Mr. Big, then another guitar player would have been in his place and other things would follow. Most of the people who know Paul Gilbert, know him from Mr. Big. Without Mr. Big IMHO Paul won't make it THIS big.

Racer X is a great band. But IMO this is just reality.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:05 pm
Superhero

one word

GRUNGE

that would have killed racer x off whatever!

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:49 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

:?
one word

GRUNGE

that would have killed racer x off whatever!

Uhuh. Same way it killed the other metal bands.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:50 pm
Viking Kong

I think me, and most people here(if not all) would do the same thing as Paul...Just imagine youself being asked by one of your favorite bass players of all time to form a band...while your current band can't make anything bigger...

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:52 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

yeah that's why I can't blame him though...

do you reckon it would have been possible for him to handle racer X and mr.big at the start? (before mr.big went huge) like now, Paul is in Racer X, and he is still taking care of his solo career, he just puts one on hold. Could he have done that? :?

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:57 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

yeah that's why I can't blame him though...

do you reckon it would have been possible for him to handle racer X and mr.big at the start? (before mr.big went huge) like now, Paul is in Racer X, and he is still taking care of his solo career, he just puts one on hold. Could he have done that? :?

Well, Racer X IS a SIDE band. All members have their own main band at the moment that's why there's no new album. Mr. Big was really popular back then, having tours here and there. I don't think Paul could put Racer X on hold.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:42 pm
Godzilla

I agree I probably never heard of Paul AND Racer X when he didn't join MR Big. Not that I knew about Mr Big before I knew about Paul but that is what made him famous enough to become noticed by all those magazines etc. Another thing that attracted a lot of people are probably the IR video's and their appearances on sites like youtube. We will just never know what happened when he didn't join Mr Big but I'm happy the way it is now.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:11 pm
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Its not Pauls Fault! i say as previous posters... RacerX where going no where.. I think RacerX got into what it is today thanks to Paul joining Mr.Big and then play in RacerX again. Then people started to go like "ahh what is this" and stuff.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Tab Master

I think something that Jeff said made me think a bit. It was something like

"This band (can't remember the name) can make girls cum in their pants....well Racer X make girls shit in their pants!!!"

And that made me think, maybe they didn't get signed because they were too much of a "guitar band". That's NOT saying the other guys weren't talented but Racer X was more focused around the guitar stuff and other bands around at that time were just all about basic rock songs and also, the glam image. Something that somehow appeals more to the mainstream audience than pure talent does. :roll:

It's not because they weren't a good band, I think it was because of the competition at the time. I *think* the band Jeff mentioned was Poison.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:57 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Who the fuck are we or anyone else to get mad (even hate?) at Paul for not staying with Racer X? Saying things like "Paul fucked up" or "Paul made a huge mistake" is fucking stupid. I can't believe anyone would say things like that about someone they don't know. Of course we all wish that Racer X would've stayed together but I am happy that Paul made the decision to join Mr. Big, for him it was an advancement as a musician. He made it to the big leagues. Nobody can be mad at him for not staying with Racer X because he inconvenienced you. If you met him would you just say "Hey Paul I'm pissed off because you left Racer X, you made a huge mistake." Think about what an ass you would sound like saying that to him. If you would actually say or think that then you're a selfish prick. Do you think we deserve an apology from him for not doing what we want? It's our fault for not being alive back then and following the band and advertising them. You should all be happy that he didn't pull some Axl shit and slowly kill the band...

Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Who the fuck are we or anyone else to get mad (even hate?) at Paul for not staying with Racer X? Saying things like "Paul fucked up" or "Paul made a huge mistake" is fucking stupid. I can't believe anyone would say things like that about someone they don't know. Of course we all wish that Racer X would've stayed together but I am happy that Paul made the decision to join Mr. Big, for him it was an advancement as a musician. He made it to the big leagues. Nobody can be mad at him for not staying with Racer X because he inconvenienced you. If you met him would you just say "Hey Paul I'm pissed off because you left Racer X, you made a huge mistake." Think about what an ass you would sound like saying that to him. If you would actually say or think that then you're a selfish prick. Do you think we deserve an apology from him for not doing what we want? It's our fault for not being alive back then and following the band and advertising them. You should all be happy that he didn't pull some Axl shit and slowly kill the band...

Word. I bet most of the people on this board wouldn't even know about Paul if he never joined Mr Big. In Racer X he was featured in, like, 1 or 2 Ibanez-ads. When he joined Mr Big he was featured in every single guitar magazine the world over. He was almost a regular in Young Guitar due to Mr Big's success in Japan, and it didn't take long for him to get the PGM-models out onthe marked after joining Mr Big. People always say that he should never've joined them, but they forget to realise the fact that Paul worked as a teacher at GIT until he joined Mr Big. Racer X was a sideproject, even in the 80's, to the bands regular jobs (though I don't know what the other guys where doing, except Bruce and Jeff), and we've had several discussions in the past on why they never got as big as the other LA-bands. Their image was way too Judas Priest for them to be profiled like for example Guns N Roses, which at the same time were playing the exact same clubs, and struggled to get a record-deal down. Saying that, Guns weren't just lucky... Comparing Racer X to Guns is almost impossible, and Guns' music was way more mainstream-friendly.

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:43 pm
Viking Kong

well, we all have to put in mind that Racer X reunited for Technical Difficulties because of the "Snakebite" e-mail...it basically said those things to Paul...and it worked!

Wha about a new Snakebite e-mail? :D

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:49 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I *think* the band Jeff mentioned was Poison.

It was indeed Poison.

-----------------

Anyways, although Paul had already spoken to Billy and his heart wasn't in Racer X anymore, Paul and Jeff left the band on the same day.
So should we hate Jeff too?
Hell no!
The band breaking up didn't exactly do the members any harm.
They all went on to achieve many things in their own right. Undoubtedly much more than if they had stuck with Racer X into the grunge saturated early 90's.
Anyways, they're still releasing albums - albeit as a side project.
Be greatful for small mercies! :)

Now... where's the thread bemoaning Scott for leaving Black Cloud... :twisted:

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Viking Kong

Nah I'm not pissed off at Paul for that, my buddies are though, my own opinion is that it's pretty sad it happened. But the other guys tried to keep Racer X goin for a while, if it was really a "we don't give a shit band" they wouldn't have gone looking for Chris Arvan, it looks like Bruce and Co. wanted to keep the band, and it feels a bit like a let down from Paul. I'm not looking for any apology from Paul, heck I'm not his mom.

Remember the main reason I posted this is just to know what the rest of the band felt like about it.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:37 pm
Promises to use Search button

I'm not mad about it, it must have been frustrating to be playing great music and never getting noticed by the big record companies...joining Mr. Big allowed him to live his dream, then he did some solo stuff and got back with Racer X. If he stayed with them I dont think it would have mattered because all the major labels were moving out of the metal scene and signing all the grunge bands-which was phasing out metal. I just dont think the overall result was bad anyway, so I'm not going to complain.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:25 am
God Of The Sun

racer x are one of the greatest bands of all time, but i say this knowing i live in the past, if racer x got a major deal in 88, they would have been dead in a year as the scene died out.....

shred didnt die... it just went to sleep......

shame really.... fucking kurt cobain....

Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:58 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

yeah, maybe paul's solo success enabled him to get a deal for Racer X even though most people aren't interrested in HM anymore :? .. if paul hadn't gone solo and stayed in R X maybe R X would now be gone permanently

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:12 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next