View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Photoshop request (RX related) 
Viking Kong

Post Photoshop request (RX related)
This could technically go in the Racer X board, but I think more Photoshoppers would see the post if it were here.

My request is for someone to make the background of this image transparent:

The resulting image must be in PNG format, or it won't work.

If allowed, I would like to use the logo for Racer X's Wikipedia article. I'm also going to be doing a little renovation to the article; there are some parts that violate Wikipedia's "point of view" policies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... nt_of_view

Thanks in advance.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:10 am
Godzilla

You realise PNG transparency doesn't work in IE version 6 and below, which about 80% of people use? If it's going to be on a white background you could probably do an okay gif one.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:43 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I didn't realize I was one of the 20% who had PNG transparency. :lol:

By the way, it's not a white background, it's a light gray background.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:53 am
BOFH

Urgh. You couldn't have picked a worse image to have a change of background colour. To transparent, white or light gray :P

Would you like to pick something with solid edges? ;)

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:37 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Heh, I don't really mind if there's a little black border around the image. The softness of the edges seems to be consistent throughout the entire figure, but if it turns out to look too crappy, I guess we'll suffice with the standard Wikipedia text.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:45 pm
Site Admin

Why would you delete whats on there? I've read it very carefully prior to posting the link in the RX forum and it's dead on.

If the editors hadn't changed it....why f with it.

Regards,
Ken

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Hey Ken. Most likely, the editors havn't read the article in its entirety. It's a pretty impressive article in length.

I havn't deleted any of the "meat", but have mainly rearranged things into categories, making navigation easier. I also checked for misspellings, and changed little grammatical things. I also went through the article and added Wiki links to the album articles, which I made yesterday (you can comb through those, I'm sure some of my release dates are off), and italicized album and DVD names. If I felt that some things breached the POV standards, I simply reworded them. I didn't want to change the content, just the appearance.

I'd also suggest adding more pictures to the article, if you have the means. Wikipedia has a nasty copyright policy, and I've had a lot of trouble uploading images that were copyrighted.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:30 pm
Site Admin

There were no grammatical errors....Trust me. Did you not read where I formatted the way it was? That's how it was discussed and it now completely undone.

Regards,
Ken

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

You've added grammatical errors and completely changed the history of the band....I had 3 college grads proof read the page....1 of which has a post graduate degree...

Varney did NOT send Travis a tape. You changed the whole meaning of the story.

I've pulled the Wikipedia link....I can't endorse it any longer.

Regards,
Ken

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:11 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

the only way we can truly get an accurate history is have VH1 behind the music: racer x

FUCK YEA !!!!

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:23 am
Site Admin

You removed the entire story on how Street Lethal was written, which was told by Jeff.

They did NOT recruit Martin....once again...compeletly re-writing how it happened.

They also did NOT recruit Travis. If you read the original story, the tape of Paul's playing, was received by Scott on ACCIDENT.

You don't start off a paragragh with, "with this"...With WHAT? You can't start a sentence with a preposition, unless you explain the reference of the preposition. "This", doesn't cut it.

Regards,
Ken

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Todd DeVito doesn't go by Todd. Anyone who knows him from Racer X days, would know him as Todd...and anyone who knows him from Motorhead until today, would know him as Vito.

You know...what often sounds like a good idea.....often isn't...especially when you're editing, and don't know the story behind it.

Regards,
Ken

Last edited by KenHower on Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:36 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

If you want to play that game, Ken, then so be it.

Grammar:
...an AR rep commented to the band that their lyrics were strange.."I'm an Alligator...I'm a Mamma Pappa coming for you"? The band told him...that it wasn't their song.

Why, "Told him...that it wasn't their song," when you could say, "Told him that it wasn't their song?" Unnecessary break in the sentence.

People who read thru the article noticed "weasel words":
(cur) (last) 21:39, 20 August 2006 84.9.231.118 (Talk) (removed a weasel word (amazing) and replaced an exclamation mark with a period)

The article sometimes breached the NPOV standards:
He said, well then who's is it? They replied David Bowie. This goes to show, what do AR guys know?!

While their legendary musicianship exceeded all of their peers at the time...

Clichés that I removed:
Since the release of Getting Heavier, all has been quiet on the Racer X front.

Other Wikipedia standards:
- spell out numbers for amounts under 10; I corrected several of these instances
- italicize album names; I went through the entire article to do this

If you'd like, I could have some Wikipedia regulars and administrators take a look at the article to make sure it is formatted to the encyclopedia standard.

If I changed the meaning in any part of the article, you can go back and fix it. I obviously didn't mean to do that. However, I felt that some errors needed to be cleaned up. Your college grad friends were nice to proofread the article, but I doubt any of them know much about Wikipedia standards.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:36 am
Site Admin

I'm not re-editing it back, to fix how it got butchered.

Changing the story....and fixing to "wikipedia" standards...are two different things.

Regards,
Ken

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:40 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Extreme Volume II was not released in the 80's.

Scott was never part of the Scream. You implied his inclusion, by deleting a whole section.

Regards,
Ken

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:54 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

I would be way to abusive with my powers.

U would get t3h banhammer right up yoru ass !!!!

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:54 am
Site Admin

Technical Difficulties was RELEASED in Late 1999. It was recorded much earlier than "late 1999". That would have been a nifty trick to record and release in the same month.

Regards,
Ken

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:59 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

It's easy to edit. If you don't want to, I can do it. Your complaints can easily be addressed in the newly formatted version, just as long as they're done inside the new format.

Changing the story was accidental, but at the same time, it doesn't take more than two minutes to change the errors. Instead of taking it personal, add to the article; you can rant about how I've ruined it, or you can help me make the article better. Quite honestly, it's remarkable that certain passages in the earlier version weren't tagged for deletion or tagged for source citation. An article is never perfect; you can sit back and admire your own work, and act like Wikipedia is a soap box where you can talk smack about AR reps and boast Racer X's "unparalleled musicianship," or you can submit your article to the scrutiny of the Wikipedia community - some of which have already taken action on some of the article's more "embellished" language. If it's going to be a serious article, then I prefer the latter.

For the record, I didn't delete the story of how Jeff Martin wrote songs for Racer X; I simplified it:

The band began writing tracks almost immediately, even though 3 members of the band were in LA and Martin still resided in Phoenix. Gilbert would send Martin cassette tapes of the various riffs and guitar tracks he had recorded. Jeff would send back another cassette tape with lyrics. This process is how most of their first release would be written. In late 1985, the members went to Varney's studio and recorded Street Lethal. The album would be released in early 1986 on Varney’s [[Shrapnel Records]] label.

Martin began writing lyrics immediately for demo tapes that Gilbert had provided, and recording for their first album – entitled ''[[Street Lethal]]'' – began quickly. The band began the recording process in 1985, and Racer X's debut album was released on January 1, 1986.

I used the latter to transition into an entirely new segment; I also moved the story about "Blowin' Up the Radio" for the same reason.

Also, Racer X did recruit Jeff Martin. There's no way around that. If he joined the band, he was recruited. You say they "settled on" Martin, I say "recruit". There's really no difference.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:00 am
Viking Kong

Extreme Volume II was not released in the 80's.

Never claimed it was. It's in the '80s section, but I wrote that it was "later" released. I felt that it was important to include that the Country Club concerts were recorded and spread apart on two albums. There was no better way to do it than to mention both albums in the same paragraph.

Quote:
Scott was never part of the Scream. You implied his inclusion, by deleting a whole section.

I never claimed that Scott was in The Scream. I claimed that Black Cloud later became known as The Scream, which they did. I made sure to include the following information: The four played one show at the Troubadour before Travis received an offer from Judas Priest, who was looking to replace the recently departed Dave Holland. Jeff Martin, a friend of Judas Priest, relayed the message to Travis, who was estatic at the opportunity, and accepted the offer. Travis would go on to record several albums with Judas Priest, and remains a member of the band to this day.

KenHower wrote:
Technical Difficulties was RELEASED in Late 1999. It was recorded much earlier than "late 1999". That would have been a nifty trick to record and release in the same month.

That's another conflict. You claim TD was released in 1999, but I've got two sources that say it was released in mid-2000.

Technical Difficulties:
- released April 25, 2000, according to Amazon.com
- released April 25, 2000, according to Allmusic.com

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:06 am
Site Admin

All references to SOD 2 and how the story behind, was deleted.

The Tour in 2002, is now under the new Getting Heavier heading, when in fact the tour was conceived 1 year before Getting Heavier was even recorded.

Regards,
Ken

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next