View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:30 am



Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 How much album has racer x sold?? 
Author Message
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 6579
Location: Norwegian living in Liverpool, UK
Post 
I think it's 24% here...

I'm still only 14 though :)

_________________
Image

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.


Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:49 pm
Profile
Superhero
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:49 am
Posts: 1660
Location: Mid 1980s, Grand Rapids, MI
Post 
Just curious, how do they enforce the VAT? Who collects it, the mailman? Do they open your package to see what's inside? If I bought a guitar and shipped it to someone in England, what happens on the VAT?

Like Ken said, sales tax in the USA varies from state to state (6% here in Michigan.) But, if you order from an out of state company and have your stuff delivered, the company that sells it to you is not required to collect and remit the tax. If I buy a $1000 guitar from a company located in New York, I save $60. Technically, the purchaser (in Michigan, anyway) is supposed to claim and pay this tax as a use tax with their annual state tax return. Nobody that I know of does it. I've been a CPA for 13 years and always ask my clients whether they purchased anything in the last year that qualifies for use tax--they never have, of course. :wink: Not once have I had it on a client's tax return.

_________________
[url]http://www.paulkleffmusic.com[/url]
[url]http://www.grandrapidsguitarlessons.com[/url]


Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:01 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:44 pm
Posts: 11819
Post 
pauliekcpa wrote:
Just curious, how do they enforce the VAT? Who collects it, the mailman? Do they open your package to see what's inside? If I bought a guitar and shipped it to someone in England, what happens on the VAT?.


I can only tell you about England, since I've been there. The VAT is actually similar to our Sales Tax, only it's rolled into every price tag. So, if you see a guitar for 1000 pounds or game for 60 pounds...the VAT is already included.

If you didn't know...it stands for Value Added Tax, and (Brits can help me here) VAT is applied to pretty much everything except raw food(like veggies and fruit), baby clothes and baby food. If you bought a carrot, there would be no VAT, but if you bought carrots in a can, you would pay VAT..since Value was added.

It's pretty sneaky on their part....because it makes it as invisible to the consumer as possible.

BTW...at Bars....they know exactly how many glasses come from a keg, and each glass has a VAT fill line. If they go over the line too much, they would be responsible for the VAT tax collect on all the beer not sold, because they sold less per keg from going over.

_________________
Ken Hower Wrote: My advice to everyone.....DO NOT purchase any of these photographs....Tim Findlay can jack off to his hearts content over his killer pictures...alone.

Regards,
Ken


Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:53 am
Posts: 24189
Location: Santiago, Chile
Post 
Lamer wrote:
KenHower wrote:
When I was last in the UK in 1992...I remember the VAT tax was 19%. Do you realize how much that is??


in Poland VAT is 22%


19% here in Chile...

_________________
Viva Chile Mierda!

Image Image


Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:42 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:31 pm
Posts: 2710
Location: england
Post 
KenHower wrote:
pauliekcpa wrote:
Just curious, how do they enforce the VAT? Who collects it, the mailman? Do they open your package to see what's inside? If I bought a guitar and shipped it to someone in England, what happens on the VAT?.


I can only tell you about England, since I've been there. The VAT is actually similar to our Sales Tax, only it's rolled into every price tag. So, if you see a guitar for 1000 pounds or game for 60 pounds...the VAT is already included.

If you didn't know...it stands for Value Added Tax, and (Brits can help me here) VAT is applied to pretty much everything except raw food(like veggies and fruit), baby clothes and baby food. If you bought a carrot, there would be no VAT, but if you bought carrots in a can, you would pay VAT..since Value was added.

It's pretty sneaky on their part....because it makes it as invisible to the consumer as possible.

BTW...at Bars....they know exactly how many glasses come from a keg, and each glass has a VAT fill line. If they go over the line too much, they would be responsible for the VAT tax collect on all the beer not sold, because they sold less per keg from going over.


Exactly. Its kinda funny when you get into the building trade over here, you start to pay the VAT seperately on raw materials and then you see actually how much they are taking (a lot). Otherwise, like you say, they hide it like a secret Tax.

It hadent even accured to me about the Pint line, im so used to seeing it but yes, every pint glass in britain has a silly little 1/2 inch line just under the top of it.

There was a guy on TV the other day who was an anti smoking protester. He was trying to make the point about how when a smoker gets cancer it takes money from the health service and shouldent be allowed. The problem for his argument though, from the other speaker on the show was that at the moment smokers are paying 6 Billion a year in Tax.
6 Billion just from the Tax on smoking. That makes thing really hard for the Cancer research people.

Then there is Road Tax. The goverment make Billions for this as well yet the roads all have holes in.

Then National Insurance. Our direct contribution to the health service, yet, you wont get a dentist on this. The only way to get a free dentist is if you dont work.

Then obviously the Income Tax. Fair enough but still, before i went roofing on my own, i used to pay £70 off £350 as a labourer.

Then the worst. Counsil Tax. Tax you have to pay to live in a house :shock: no other reason. They just take it and a few months ago, when a vicar from the chuch genuinely couldend aford to pay it, they put him in prison. A 70 year old man


Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:02 am
Profile
Superhero
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Posts: 1447
Post 
Smokers currently pay more in taxes than they cost the NHS in bills for smoking related illnesses.

I think the figure (still) stands at around £1.5 billion for the cost of treating smoking related diseases on the NHS, where the taxes collected from cigarette sales......


£7.6bn raised each year, excluding tax[VAT], in 2002. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1919686.stm

_________________
My clips


Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:17 pm
Profile
God Of The Sun

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:31 pm
Posts: 2710
Location: england
Post 
Quote:
More than a thousand Londoners alone die from coronary heart disease every year because of passive smoking, a report says.


Not trying to defend passive Smoking but they might want to consider the 1000's of Range Rovers driving around chucking out more harmfull fumes in 1 sec than a day sitting next to somebody that smokes.

If they want to ban it, they are gonna have to start making arguments that the smokers cant answer


Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:27 pm
Profile
Superhero
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Posts: 1447
Post 
dimentor wrote:
Then there is Road Tax. The goverment make Billions for this as well yet the roads all have holes in.



HA! Wait until road pricing comes in!

[/:cry: ]

_________________
My clips


Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:27 pm
Profile
Superhero
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Posts: 1447
Post 
dimentor wrote:
Quote:
More than a thousand Londoners alone die from coronary heart disease every year because of passive smoking, a report says.


Not trying to defend passive Smoking but they might want to consider the 1000's of Range Rovers driving around chucking out more harmfull fumes in 1 sec than a day sitting next to somebody that smokes.

If they want to ban it, they are gonna have to start making arguments that the smokers cant answer


Smoking will not be banned any time soon. This govt makes way too much in taxes from it, and I'd probably put money that at the next general election the Tories (Conservative party) will get in - and they'll never ban smoking.

_________________
My clips


Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:39 pm
Profile
King Of The Monsters
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:53 am
Posts: 24189
Location: Santiago, Chile
Post 
In Chile they´ve just released a new law banning smoking.

The taxes that the tobbaco industry pays here is an insane 85% of the price of the package.

Doesn´t matter to me though, since I really hate smoking.

_________________
Viva Chile Mierda!

Image Image


Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:46 pm
Posts: 819
Location: Where routine bites hard and ambitions are low
Post 
21% VAT in Belgium.

_________________
Image
Click to help


Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:07 pm
Profile
Dr. X

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:27 pm
Posts: 127
Location: UK
Post 
Think about games in terms of £/hour entertainment. You go to the cinema, pay about £6.00 for a film that's 1.5 hours long. That's £4/hour entertainment. Go to a concert, a ticket is £12 for 2 hours say, that's £6/hour. Oblivion for the PC costs £25 and just on game missions alone has an estimated 200hour length - that works out as £0.125/hour. That's a worthwhile purchase in my book.

Plus recording software is worth its wait in gold. Don't know about you guys, but round here, studio time is an average of about £17.00/hour. Tracktion 2 cost me £120. If you add the cost of my PC, soundcard, monitors, plus other software etc. the whole lot comes to about £1500. That works out about £85 hours in the studio. So effectively, after 85 hours use, i'm getting free recording time and trust me, I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours recording.

_________________
I do remember that when I was growing up and learning to play guitar I had a definite goal : I wanted to be the fastest, blow everyone else away and chop people's head off with my guitar playing - Paul Gilbert


Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:25 pm
Posts: 8625
Location: Maryland, U.S.
Post 
KenHower wrote:
Oodles wrote:
I wouldn't own Steve Vai's Real Illusions if I hadn't heard Building The Church, Firewall and Lotus Feet on Myspace..... So sometimes downloading music end's up being beneficial for an artist, but then again I guess not everyone feels they have an obligation to delete the files or buy the album like I do.....

:mrgreen:


I totally agree. I've bought many CD's that I wouldn't have because I heard a couple songs. It's too bad...in the "old" days...you could count on radio to hear stuff....now adays....radio is so formula driven, you have to move to other sources to hear stuff.

I've never used Itunes....can you listen to Itunes prior to purchasing??


I am in debt to Napster for introducing me to Racer X. Things must happen for a reason. Imagine how different I would be if I had never found that Racer X cover of "Detroit Rock City". Napster caused a snowball reaction. First I bought Technical Difficulties. Then I bought Street Lethal. Then Superheroes. Then Second Heat. I just kept going and going, I loved it all. People like me will use file-sharing programs to introduce themselves to new bands, but I hate that people abuse that privilege, and start downloading the albums instead of buying them.

_________________
- Ryan


Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:45 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:44 pm
Posts: 11819
Post 
Ryan wrote:
People like me will use file-sharing programs to introduce themselves to new bands, but I hate that people abuse that privilege, and start downloading the albums instead of buying them.


Dead on.

That's the sad part.

_________________
Ken Hower Wrote: My advice to everyone.....DO NOT purchase any of these photographs....Tim Findlay can jack off to his hearts content over his killer pictures...alone.

Regards,
Ken


Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:34 pm
Posts: 994
Location: Portland, OR
Post 
Sales Tax: I live in Alaska. We pay absolutely no sales tax within the Municipality of Anchorage. There is no state tax. In fact as result of being an Alaskan citizen they give me between $900 and $1,800 a year in the form of a Permanent Fund Dividend -- according to our constitution all citizens are equal shareholders in owning natural resources.

The only real form of tax we seem to have is Property tax which is definately going up -- the family I live with had there property value go up $100,000 in the last three years.

Smoking: Smoking is banned in all public places here. In fact they just passed an ordinance even banning smoking in places like bars and clubs-- however, I'll be shocked if it stands up to a constitutional challenge.

_________________
!sdnah ruoy no emit hcum oot evah uoy ,siht dear nac uoy fI


Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Profile
Unt! I move topics!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:56 pm
Posts: 27847
Post 
Joe wrote:
Smoking: Smoking is banned in all public places here. In fact they just passed an ordinance even banning smoking in places like bars and clubs-- however, I'll be shocked if it stands up to a constitutional challenge.


Why? Is there a right to smoke in the Alaskan state constitution? :roll:

_________________
ImageImageImage


Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:34 pm
Posts: 994
Location: Portland, OR
Post 
TheSurgeon wrote:
Joe wrote:
Smoking: Smoking is banned in all public places here. In fact they just passed an ordinance even banning smoking in places like bars and clubs-- however, I'll be shocked if it stands up to a constitutional challenge.


Why? Is there a right to smoke in the Alaskan state constitution? :roll:


I should mention that I am very anti-smoking myself.

They are going to be challenged on the basis that it violates the business owners ability to run their business as they choose. Alaska is a huge personal rights state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party collects signatures to repeal new smoking ban
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - by Jill Burke

Anchorage, Alaska - An effort is underway to repeal the newly passed city-wide smoking ban in bars and bingo halls. The Alaska Libertarian Party wants voters to reverse the ban, which takes effect next summer.

The party has three months to get enough signatures to place the referendum on the April ballot.

“I'm fairly certain we can get the 7,000 signatures. Whether or not we’re going to pay people to collect those signatures or not, I'm not sure,” said Robert Clift (right) of the Alaska Libertarian Party.

“This is a very different issue and, in fact, from our perspective, much easier because when you have an 11-member Assembly, then you have more and more opportunity for influence of a special business interest,” said Marge Larson (left) of the American Lung Association.

Larson says voters tend to reinforce smoking bans. The Libertarian Party is launching its signature drive at the Alaska State Fair.

_________________
!sdnah ruoy no emit hcum oot evah uoy ,siht dear nac uoy fI


Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:29 pm
Profile
Unt! I move topics!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:56 pm
Posts: 27847
Post 
Joe wrote:
TheSurgeon wrote:
Joe wrote:
Smoking: Smoking is banned in all public places here. In fact they just passed an ordinance even banning smoking in places like bars and clubs-- however, I'll be shocked if it stands up to a constitutional challenge.


Why? Is there a right to smoke in the Alaskan state constitution? :roll:


They are going to be challenged on the basis that it violates the business owners ability to run their business as they choose. Alaska is a huge personal rights state.



The ability to run a business as you choose isn't guaranteed in any constitution I've ever heard of. By that logic, regulations against businesses polluting the environment would be unconstitutional. As would laws preventing businesses from discriminating against minorities. That type of constitutional argument will never fly.

Now, passing a voter referendum to reverse the law is a totally different thing.

_________________
ImageImageImage


Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 9:34 pm
Posts: 902
Location: London, England
Post 
dimentor wrote:
django5 wrote:
Most games are £35 max when they come out unless they're a big compilation.


XBOX 360 games are £60 at the moment. I have seen it with my own eyes when i went to town the other day. It put me off buying one and i have also read that with the PS3 comming soon, Microsoft will hold the price of the system for another year.

Come on, i admit that my views can be wrong but i know the price of games in my local shop


Either you don't, or your local games store is for grade-A mugs. XBOX 360 games were £50 at release and still are in some high street stores like HMV (if you feel like getting ripped off). But if you look in asda, tesco, play.com they're pretty much all £40 or below. I spent less than £60 on the last two games I bought. I'm pretty sure the console price is set to drop by christmas as well (at least with package deals).

If you just think of how complicated programs like Photoshop, Flash, and a lot of modern games are, and how many people have to be paid (pretty damn high salaries) to develop them over a long period of time, you can see why they're so highly priced.

_________________
"I don't recall fighting Godzilla, but that's totally what I would've done!"


Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:54 pm
Profile YIM
Superhero
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:06 pm
Posts: 1168
Location: AR
Post 
Joe wrote:
TheSurgeon wrote:
Joe wrote:
Smoking: Smoking is banned in all public places here. In fact they just passed an ordinance even banning smoking in places like bars and clubs-- however, I'll be shocked if it stands up to a constitutional challenge.


Why? Is there a right to smoke in the Alaskan state constitution? :roll:


I should mention that I am very anti-smoking myself.

They are going to be challenged on the basis that it violates the business owners ability to run their business as they choose. Alaska is a huge personal rights state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party collects signatures to repeal new smoking ban
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - by Jill Burke

Anchorage, Alaska - An effort is underway to repeal the newly passed city-wide smoking ban in bars and bingo halls. The Alaska Libertarian Party wants voters to reverse the ban, which takes effect next summer.

The party has three months to get enough signatures to place the referendum on the April ballot.

“I'm fairly certain we can get the 7,000 signatures. Whether or not we’re going to pay people to collect those signatures or not, I'm not sure,” said Robert Clift (right) of the Alaska Libertarian Party.

“This is a very different issue and, in fact, from our perspective, much easier because when you have an 11-member Assembly, then you have more and more opportunity for influence of a special business interest,” said Marge Larson (left) of the American Lung Association.

Larson says voters tend to reinforce smoking bans. The Libertarian Party is launching its signature drive at the Alaska State Fair.


They passed a clean air act here in AR and you can allow smoking in clubs and such, but they can allow only 21 years of age or older. If you want to have under 21 people in your business then no smoking. I personally think it's great.

J.

_________________
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."


Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:18 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.