View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 How much album has racer x sold?? 
Viking Kong

I'm still only 14 though :)

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:49 pm
Superhero

Just curious, how do they enforce the VAT? Who collects it, the mailman? Do they open your package to see what's inside? If I bought a guitar and shipped it to someone in England, what happens on the VAT?

Like Ken said, sales tax in the USA varies from state to state (6% here in Michigan.) But, if you order from an out of state company and have your stuff delivered, the company that sells it to you is not required to collect and remit the tax. If I buy a $1000 guitar from a company located in New York, I save $60. Technically, the purchaser (in Michigan, anyway) is supposed to claim and pay this tax as a use tax with their annual state tax return. Nobody that I know of does it. I've been a CPA for 13 years and always ask my clients whether they purchased anything in the last year that qualifies for use tax--they never have, of course. :wink: Not once have I had it on a client's tax return.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:01 pm
Site Admin

Just curious, how do they enforce the VAT? Who collects it, the mailman? Do they open your package to see what's inside? If I bought a guitar and shipped it to someone in England, what happens on the VAT?.

I can only tell you about England, since I've been there. The VAT is actually similar to our Sales Tax, only it's rolled into every price tag. So, if you see a guitar for 1000 pounds or game for 60 pounds...the VAT is already included.

If you didn't know...it stands for Value Added Tax, and (Brits can help me here) VAT is applied to pretty much everything except raw food(like veggies and fruit), baby clothes and baby food. If you bought a carrot, there would be no VAT, but if you bought carrots in a can, you would pay VAT..since Value was added.

It's pretty sneaky on their part....because it makes it as invisible to the consumer as possible.

BTW...at Bars....they know exactly how many glasses come from a keg, and each glass has a VAT fill line. If they go over the line too much, they would be responsible for the VAT tax collect on all the beer not sold, because they sold less per keg from going over.

Regards,
Ken

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

KenHower wrote:
When I was last in the UK in 1992...I remember the VAT tax was 19%. Do you realize how much that is??

in Poland VAT is 22%

19% here in Chile...

Image Image

Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:42 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

pauliekcpa wrote:
Just curious, how do they enforce the VAT? Who collects it, the mailman? Do they open your package to see what's inside? If I bought a guitar and shipped it to someone in England, what happens on the VAT?.

I can only tell you about England, since I've been there. The VAT is actually similar to our Sales Tax, only it's rolled into every price tag. So, if you see a guitar for 1000 pounds or game for 60 pounds...the VAT is already included.

If you didn't know...it stands for Value Added Tax, and (Brits can help me here) VAT is applied to pretty much everything except raw food(like veggies and fruit), baby clothes and baby food. If you bought a carrot, there would be no VAT, but if you bought carrots in a can, you would pay VAT..since Value was added.

It's pretty sneaky on their part....because it makes it as invisible to the consumer as possible.

BTW...at Bars....they know exactly how many glasses come from a keg, and each glass has a VAT fill line. If they go over the line too much, they would be responsible for the VAT tax collect on all the beer not sold, because they sold less per keg from going over.

Exactly. Its kinda funny when you get into the building trade over here, you start to pay the VAT seperately on raw materials and then you see actually how much they are taking (a lot). Otherwise, like you say, they hide it like a secret Tax.

It hadent even accured to me about the Pint line, im so used to seeing it but yes, every pint glass in britain has a silly little 1/2 inch line just under the top of it.

There was a guy on TV the other day who was an anti smoking protester. He was trying to make the point about how when a smoker gets cancer it takes money from the health service and shouldent be allowed. The problem for his argument though, from the other speaker on the show was that at the moment smokers are paying 6 Billion a year in Tax.
6 Billion just from the Tax on smoking. That makes thing really hard for the Cancer research people.

Then there is Road Tax. The goverment make Billions for this as well yet the roads all have holes in.

Then National Insurance. Our direct contribution to the health service, yet, you wont get a dentist on this. The only way to get a free dentist is if you dont work.

Then obviously the Income Tax. Fair enough but still, before i went roofing on my own, i used to pay £70 off £350 as a labourer.

Then the worst. Counsil Tax. Tax you have to pay to live in a house :shock: no other reason. They just take it and a few months ago, when a vicar from the chuch genuinely couldend aford to pay it, they put him in prison. A 70 year old man

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:02 am
Superhero

Smokers currently pay more in taxes than they cost the NHS in bills for smoking related illnesses.

I think the figure (still) stands at around £1.5 billion for the cost of treating smoking related diseases on the NHS, where the taxes collected from cigarette sales......

£7.6bn raised each year, excluding tax[VAT], in 2002. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1919686.stm

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:17 pm
God Of The Sun

More than a thousand Londoners alone die from coronary heart disease every year because of passive smoking, a report says.

Not trying to defend passive Smoking but they might want to consider the 1000's of Range Rovers driving around chucking out more harmfull fumes in 1 sec than a day sitting next to somebody that smokes.

If they want to ban it, they are gonna have to start making arguments that the smokers cant answer

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:27 pm
Superhero

Then there is Road Tax. The goverment make Billions for this as well yet the roads all have holes in.

HA! Wait until road pricing comes in!

[/:cry: ]

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:27 pm
Superhero

Quote:
More than a thousand Londoners alone die from coronary heart disease every year because of passive smoking, a report says.

Not trying to defend passive Smoking but they might want to consider the 1000's of Range Rovers driving around chucking out more harmfull fumes in 1 sec than a day sitting next to somebody that smokes.

If they want to ban it, they are gonna have to start making arguments that the smokers cant answer

Smoking will not be banned any time soon. This govt makes way too much in taxes from it, and I'd probably put money that at the next general election the Tories (Conservative party) will get in - and they'll never ban smoking.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:39 pm
King Of The Monsters

In Chile they´ve just released a new law banning smoking.

The taxes that the tobbaco industry pays here is an insane 85% of the price of the package.

Doesn´t matter to me though, since I really hate smoking.

Image Image

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:07 pm
Dr. X

Think about games in terms of £/hour entertainment. You go to the cinema, pay about £6.00 for a film that's 1.5 hours long. That's £4/hour entertainment. Go to a concert, a ticket is £12 for 2 hours say, that's £6/hour. Oblivion for the PC costs £25 and just on game missions alone has an estimated 200hour length - that works out as £0.125/hour. That's a worthwhile purchase in my book.

Plus recording software is worth its wait in gold. Don't know about you guys, but round here, studio time is an average of about £17.00/hour. Tracktion 2 cost me £120. If you add the cost of my PC, soundcard, monitors, plus other software etc. the whole lot comes to about £1500. That works out about £85 hours in the studio. So effectively, after 85 hours use, i'm getting free recording time and trust me, I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours recording.

I do remember that when I was growing up and learning to play guitar I had a definite goal : I wanted to be the fastest, blow everyone else away and chop people's head off with my guitar playing - Paul Gilbert

Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Oodles wrote:
I wouldn't own Steve Vai's Real Illusions if I hadn't heard Building The Church, Firewall and Lotus Feet on Myspace..... So sometimes downloading music end's up being beneficial for an artist, but then again I guess not everyone feels they have an obligation to delete the files or buy the album like I do.....

:mrgreen:

I totally agree. I've bought many CD's that I wouldn't have because I heard a couple songs. It's too bad...in the "old" days...you could count on radio to hear stuff....now adays....radio is so formula driven, you have to move to other sources to hear stuff.

I've never used Itunes....can you listen to Itunes prior to purchasing??

I am in debt to Napster for introducing me to Racer X. Things must happen for a reason. Imagine how different I would be if I had never found that Racer X cover of "Detroit Rock City". Napster caused a snowball reaction. First I bought Technical Difficulties. Then I bought Street Lethal. Then Superheroes. Then Second Heat. I just kept going and going, I loved it all. People like me will use file-sharing programs to introduce themselves to new bands, but I hate that people abuse that privilege, and start downloading the albums instead of buying them.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:45 pm
Site Admin

People like me will use file-sharing programs to introduce themselves to new bands, but I hate that people abuse that privilege, and start downloading the albums instead of buying them.

Dead on.

That's the sad part.

Regards,
Ken

Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Sales Tax: I live in Alaska. We pay absolutely no sales tax within the Municipality of Anchorage. There is no state tax. In fact as result of being an Alaskan citizen they give me between $900 and $1,800 a year in the form of a Permanent Fund Dividend -- according to our constitution all citizens are equal shareholders in owning natural resources.

The only real form of tax we seem to have is Property tax which is definately going up -- the family I live with had there property value go up $100,000 in the last three years.

Smoking: Smoking is banned in all public places here. In fact they just passed an ordinance even banning smoking in places like bars and clubs-- however, I'll be shocked if it stands up to a constitutional challenge.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Unt! I move topics!

Smoking: Smoking is banned in all public places here. In fact they just passed an ordinance even banning smoking in places like bars and clubs-- however, I'll be shocked if it stands up to a constitutional challenge.

Why? Is there a right to smoke in the Alaskan state constitution? :roll:

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Joe wrote:

I should mention that I am very anti-smoking myself.

They are going to be challenged on the basis that it violates the business owners ability to run their business as they choose. Alaska is a huge personal rights state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party collects signatures to repeal new smoking ban
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - by Jill Burke

Anchorage, Alaska - An effort is underway to repeal the newly passed city-wide smoking ban in bars and bingo halls. The Alaska Libertarian Party wants voters to reverse the ban, which takes effect next summer.

The party has three months to get enough signatures to place the referendum on the April ballot.

“I'm fairly certain we can get the 7,000 signatures. Whether or not we’re going to pay people to collect those signatures or not, I'm not sure,” said Robert Clift (right) of the Alaska Libertarian Party.

“This is a very different issue and, in fact, from our perspective, much easier because when you have an 11-member Assembly, then you have more and more opportunity for influence of a special business interest,” said Marge Larson (left) of the American Lung Association.

Larson says voters tend to reinforce smoking bans. The Libertarian Party is launching its signature drive at the Alaska State Fair.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:29 pm
Unt! I move topics!

TheSurgeon wrote:
Joe wrote:

They are going to be challenged on the basis that it violates the business owners ability to run their business as they choose. Alaska is a huge personal rights state.

The ability to run a business as you choose isn't guaranteed in any constitution I've ever heard of. By that logic, regulations against businesses polluting the environment would be unconstitutional. As would laws preventing businesses from discriminating against minorities. That type of constitutional argument will never fly.

Now, passing a voter referendum to reverse the law is a totally different thing.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

django5 wrote:
Most games are £35 max when they come out unless they're a big compilation.

XBOX 360 games are £60 at the moment. I have seen it with my own eyes when i went to town the other day. It put me off buying one and i have also read that with the PS3 comming soon, Microsoft will hold the price of the system for another year.

Come on, i admit that my views can be wrong but i know the price of games in my local shop

Either you don't, or your local games store is for grade-A mugs. XBOX 360 games were £50 at release and still are in some high street stores like HMV (if you feel like getting ripped off). But if you look in asda, tesco, play.com they're pretty much all £40 or below. I spent less than £60 on the last two games I bought. I'm pretty sure the console price is set to drop by christmas as well (at least with package deals).

If you just think of how complicated programs like Photoshop, Flash, and a lot of modern games are, and how many people have to be paid (pretty damn high salaries) to develop them over a long period of time, you can see why they're so highly priced.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:54 pm
Profile YIM
Superhero

TheSurgeon wrote:
Joe wrote:

I should mention that I am very anti-smoking myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Party collects signatures to repeal new smoking ban
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - by Jill Burke

Anchorage, Alaska - An effort is underway to repeal the newly passed city-wide smoking ban in bars and bingo halls. The Alaska Libertarian Party wants voters to reverse the ban, which takes effect next summer.

The party has three months to get enough signatures to place the referendum on the April ballot.

“I'm fairly certain we can get the 7,000 signatures. Whether or not we’re going to pay people to collect those signatures or not, I'm not sure,” said Robert Clift (right) of the Alaska Libertarian Party.

“This is a very different issue and, in fact, from our perspective, much easier because when you have an 11-member Assembly, then you have more and more opportunity for influence of a special business interest,” said Marge Larson (left) of the American Lung Association.

Larson says voters tend to reinforce smoking bans. The Libertarian Party is launching its signature drive at the Alaska State Fair.

They passed a clean air act here in AR and you can allow smoking in clubs and such, but they can allow only 21 years of age or older. If you want to have under 21 people in your business then no smoking. I personally think it's great.

J.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next