View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Best solo with racer x? 
Viking Kong

hum....all of them are insane, I won't chose a favorite...

but talking about a primary SHOCK when you listen to them...I would say Frenzy...

I just picture people in the 80's, buying an album of a band called Racer X ( "WITH PAUL GILBERT" ), and the very first song is Frenzy....

I would just have a heart attack :o

I was one of those people who bought that album back in the 80's when it had just came out. Remember this was during the time of Yngwie, Tony MacAlpine, Vinnie Moore, etc. So we have heard the shredding thing done ad nasuem. The shock factor of insane blazing fast soloing had more than gone away. As a matter of fact some of us were really starting to get bored with it. But when I heard the very first cut on Street Lethal ("Frenzy", of course), followed by all the rest, it was a breath of fresh air! Finally some taste was put back into solos! Sure Paul's speed was amazing, but so many people were playing that fast by that time. It was what he did with that speed that made him stand out and never get stale. It was truely an inspirational album. From the moment I first heard Street Lethal, I have never played guitar the same since!

Anyway, my favorite Paul solo at this moment is Loud and Clear. But I expect it to change (My favorite Paul solos always do :wink: )

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:45 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Anyway, my favorite Paul solo at this moment is Loud and Clear. But I expect it to change (My favorite Paul solos always do :wink: )

Agreed :) Loud and Clear and Fire of Rock.

Oh yeah and Technical Difficulties!

... and Sacrifice, and Superheroes, and Snakebite, and Gone Too Far, and Frenzy, and Into the Night and...

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Tab Master

I recently listened to the solo in Sunlit Nights...

OMFG IT'S SO GOOD.

Those first few bars up until that Lydian thing, sooooo nice. :D

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:11 pm
God Of The Sun

The Street Lethal Solo turned me into a fan, it's like a machinegun

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:41 am
Godzilla

Street Lethal was the first song I ever heard by them, that got me hooked. The solo is nuts, and I love the ending

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:25 pm
Superhero

scarified, the whole song is like a solo.
also viking kong and snakbite are up there

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:10 pm
Viking Kong

Sir Robin wrote:
hum....all of them are insane, I won't chose a favorite...

but talking about a primary SHOCK when you listen to them...I would say Frenzy...

I just picture people in the 80's, buying an album of a band called Racer X ( "WITH PAUL GILBERT" ), and the very first song is Frenzy....

I would just have a heart attack :o

I was one of those people who bought that album back in the 80's when it had just came out. Remember this was during the time of Yngwie, Tony MacAlpine, Vinnie Moore, etc. So we have heard the shredding thing done ad nasuem. The shock factor of insane blazing fast soloing had more than gone away. As a matter of fact some of us were really starting to get bored with it. But when I heard the very first cut on Street Lethal ("Frenzy", of course), followed by all the rest, it was a breath of fresh air! Finally some taste was put back into solos! Sure Paul's speed was amazing, but so many people were playing that fast by that time. It was what he did with that speed that made him stand out and never get stale. It was truely an inspirational album. From the moment I first heard Street Lethal, I have never played guitar the same since!

Cool insight. I remember my first Racer X song; I wasn't as enamored with the guitar as I was the bass. I was starting to play the bass, at the time, and John Alderete's bass solo on Extreme Volume I blew me away. It was the first time I ever heard anyone play like that. Then I bought his Instructional Video, and he introduced me to Jaco Pastorius and Billy Sheehan. It was a crazy month. :lol:

I pretty much stand by what I said earlier in the thread. My tastes in solos don't change that often. I think my all-time favorite is from "Endless" - maybe not what this forum would expect.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:15 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

3 year bump. I still love the Loud and Clear and Fire of Rock solos.. but goddamn I can't even choose what my favorite 1 is today. Sunlit Nights is amazing.. On The Loose.. Living The Hardway.. everything.

What's your favorite Racer X solo?

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I'd put Superheroes and the Technical Difficulties solos at n°1.

Second would be Snakebite.

Third would probably be the ones in Hammer away and Sunlit Nights... but then as I type I'm having second thoughts about putting them in second position.

It's really hard to choose... but my favorite solos are among these.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:18 am
God Of The Sun

^^^those are all on the top of the list, but I'd like to add the Heart of a Lion solo there as well

Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 am
Viking Kong

"Heart of a Lion" had a great solo, but add "Street Lethal" to the mix, too. "Ghost Dance" has an interesting solo with that sustained note. Many others. I love most of the solos from Technical Difficulties, including "Fire of Rock" and "Give it to Me".

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:57 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I was just listening to Ghost Dance!! Such an awesome solo. It reminds me of the time I saw Paul at Sky Academy. :)

Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:24 pm
Viking Kong

That rockin' part in Scit Scat Wah where they trade off between Paul, Bruce, Jual and Scott, just before they play the intro theme again, is FAWKIN' AWESOME!

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:24 am
God Of The Sun

I honestly don't know. I could mention one song but then there were these other songs that have really cool solos besides the other ones i'm forgetting about...i'll have to say that, with maybe 2 or 3 exceptions, every Paul/Bruce solo with Racer X is awesome.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:01 am
Viking Kong

Give me a break guys, the Ghost Dance solo sucks. Stop being attention whores by pretending you love the shittiest solo in Racer X history.

:lol: :lol: :P

Just kidding... but the solo really does suck.

DWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...(5 mins later) EEEEEEENYONNNNNNNNNNN... (a couple more minutes later) NNNG! NYUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEOOOOOEEEE and classic Gilbert licks.

Fuck that.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:15 am
Viking Kong

Give me a break guys, the Ghost Dance solo sucks. Stop being attention whores by pretending you love the shittiest solo in Racer X history.

Are you kidding me? It's one of the most unique solos I've ever heard in a Racer X song. You don't need blazing fast licks to have a good solo. It fit the song and worked well.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:52 am
Viking Kong

You don't need blazing fast licks to have a good solo.

I totally agree with that statement, I love plenty of solos without blazing fast licks.

I still think that Ghost Dance solo sucks ass though.

For example I love all (until I can remember one I didn't like) the solos I've heard Kiss play, and none of them are incredible shred master pieces.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:38 am
Dr. X

i love all of them, but for me the solo that is awesome and fit's the song like nothing else is the studio solo in moon age daydream, that little sweep that starts it played by Bruce is awesome, the whole solo makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand up.As far as Paul making me want to quit, no way, i have 2 kids and a full time job and am doing ok on guitar, 2 hours a day, Paul has done it full time since about 11 so he has a considerable head start on most of us, he took that gamble early on in life so he should be good really, and remember it is not necessarily how good you are but how good you sound that is important!

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:17 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Goddamn I love the intro solo to Mad At The World.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next