View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Surgical Steel? 
Godzilla

Post Surgical Steel?
Does anyone have any CDs from them? I would like to listen to there stuff! Maybe Ken can talk Jeff into letting them put some clips on the site!

Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:37 am
God Of The Sun

I can honestly say i have no clue who your talking about.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:50 am
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

If any of the surgical steel stuff was ever recorded it could only have been tape or a platter.

Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:42 am
is evil...Evil Joe

i have a track called 'rivit head' - and it's definately SURGICAL STEEL! i think it was part of an old metal blade-compilation...

oh, it's only 1:52 long...

Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:48 pm
Profile ICQ
is evil...Evil Joe

i just had a look: SURGICAL STEEL had a song (the mentioned 'rivit head') on the metal blade compilation "metal massacre 2"...

Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:11 pm
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

I'm lost. Never heard of these guys. :wink:

Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:48 am
Profile YIM
Unt! I move topics!

I can honestly say i have no clue who your talking about.

Surgical Steel was Jeff's band before he joined Racer X.

Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:35 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

i have found a link on the net that might be interesting for all of you not knowing about SURGICAL STEEL.

this site covers ALL important information on that band and even features the track 'smooth and fast' as download...

if anyone owns the original demo and wants to sell it / could make me a copy - please: contact me!!!

http://members.firstinter.net/markster/ ... STEEL.html

Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:03 pm
Profile ICQ
Unt! I move topics!

Cool page. The "Smooth and Fast" mp3 is cool too (the chorus is a bit weak, but o/w it rocks). I was listening to it and thinking "Jeff sounds just like Rob on that part ... oh, wait, that is Rob."

Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I have about 6 Surgical Steel tunes. I'll put them up.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:34 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

that would be really cool!! 6 surgical steel songs: *mjam*

i will never forget when i was watching that THUNDER ALLEY movie the first time - completely by accident! *lol* i was like: "oh boy, those were the days... haha, that guy looks like jeff martin. look at his clothing, hahaha! and...he... sounds a LOT like jeff martin... :shock: WHAT THE HELL IS JEFF MARTIN DOING IN THAT MOVIE???!"

:lol:

Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:26 pm
Profile ICQ
Godzilla

I have about 6 Surgical Steel tunes. I'll put them up.
Yes!! You are the man!!! Im gonna burn a CD with 6 Surgical Steel songs and Black Sheep songs

Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:32 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

i still have my original BLACK SHEEP-album on vinyl - but i would pay the world to get an original demo of SURGICAL STEEL...

by the way: that new HANOI ROCKS album turned out to be REALLY cool... hasn't been released officially yet in europe... :?

Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:36 pm
Profile ICQ
is O.H.B.

Post Whoa - I can't believe SS online
I am freaking out that there is actually talk of Surgical Steel online.

You know, you haven't seen nuthin' until you've seen them at the local ice rink.

Rock on!

Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:17 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Whoa - I can't believe SS online
heatherette wrote:
I am freaking out that there is actually talk of Surgical Steel online.

You know, you haven't seen nuthin' until you've seen them at the local ice rink.

Rock on!

Seriously?? They played at an Ice Rink??

JEFF!

Regards,
Ken

Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Racer X - Current Member

We had decided to go the route of Van Halen, as far as how we put on shows. They used to rent out Halls and large venues, flyer the shit out of every where for a few weeks, then play. Keep cost down and taking the door ourselves, we played bingo hall, Ice rinks, all sorts of wacky gigs. I remember playing a Cock fighting place in S.W. Phoenix. Ozzy would have loved it, dead chickens layin' everywhere from the day's bouts.

Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

hah....sounds like what my band does.....but hey....it works.....except the halls are probably much smaller :(

Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:01 pm
is O.H.B.

Post Hell, Yeah.
They played everywhere, like Jeff said, and no matter where they went, we managed to find them -- there was always a big turnout.

I was 15 years old, I wonder now if my mother didn’t want me to find my way back home. We’d get these flyers, and there’d be these addresses that didn’t look familiar to anyone…None of us drove, so we’d enlist one of our parents to drive us to these gigs. We’d be driving down these creepy little streets, and my mom would be like, ”I don't think this is it”, and we’d see someone with hair and be like, “Yeah, THIS is it”.

The best gigs were these all day/night desert parties in the middle of nowhere (seriously – but again, always “the map”). A million degrees outside but you wouldn’t be caught dead without your “leather”.

*Sigh* those were some good times. Rob would attend events regularly, usually the gigs at the bars, and even sing a tune here and there with the guys. Of course NO ONE believes me now when I’ll pass a strip mall and remark that I saw Rob Halford sing there. Oh well, I've got my memories!

Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:42 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Well, I believe you heatherette because I was there too and saw Rob sing with 'Steel at the bars and such.

As for the ice rink - I remember a "big" show at the Metrocenter Mall (where some of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure was filmed). Metrocenter used to have an ice rink underneath the food court and the concert was School Boys (who went on to semi success as Icon) and Surgical Steel. My bass player at the time and I were fans of B.C. Rich guitars so we were checking out Greg's basses before the show. His brother Kenny liked our band because we played Maiden tunes before Maiden had even hit in the States and he used to bring some of Greg's basses to our rehearsals when he could. Oh the days...

Anyway, at the Metrocenter show, I remember the wall of Marshalls that Jim and Paul had, but only like 4 speakers were actually in the cabs! :lol: Though the scaffolding wasn't there, it did remind me somewhat of Priest's 1982 shows.

I also saw Surgical Steel at a local game arcade - I remember one show they did with Knight Riot opening. I had a home made guitar effects pedal board I loaned to Fred Robinson (now known as "Fast Freddie") to use in Knight Riot's set. That night, someone broke into my home and stole a bunch of our band's equipment, but my pedal board was my own creation so I was glad it was at the gig and didn't get stolen as well! All turned out good too because I was able to finally get my own B.C. Rich guitar with the insurance money! :D

During Surgical Steel's set, my friend and I were hanging out with Mark Lehmann while he was playing. Between (and even during) songs, we were having a laugh at some of the metal cliches and poses. Then Mark told us his favorite style of music is actually jazz! :shock: But for the Phoenix scene at the time, the money and the fans was in metal, so Mark was happy to be in the best metal band in town! 8)

Surgical Steel played it all for sure! :lol:

Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Regards,
Ken

Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next