View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 How To Scream (scream as in Judas Priest/Racer X style) 
Viking Kong

Post How To Scream (scream as in Judas Priest/Racer X style)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dAdsOjVChI&feature=related#

It doesn't show much, but some of it's pretty cool. :lol:

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:10 pm
God Of The Sun

yeah, I've seen this, this guy is awesome. Nice borat accent. "The WHISH MAAAAAAASTER!"

anyway, all the "How to scream" tutorials I've seen so far were completely useless, all those guys fail to explain how to do it. All they say is "You shouldn't feel any pain in you throat blabla" and then show off some scream.
Has anyone found some metal screaming tutorial that actully explains how to do it?

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:12 pm
Superhero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7fVrOXm ... re=related

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:35 pm
Profile ICQ
Dr. X

The scream at 31 secs sound great ,but he would likely burn his voice out after doing that a few times. The "Opeth" thing he did just sounds weird. I can sing/scream convincingly in the Jeff Martin/Bruce Dickinson style. The high Halford screams are more difficult to nail. It can be done though by anyone. No need to know about diaphrams and all that "singerly" crap. Here are a couple of tips that help me with the higher notes. Make sure you annunciate the vowel sound on your high notes REALLY well (uuuhhh,aaahhh,eeehhh). Listen to Halford's scream at the beginning of "Resurrection" as an example. All of the vowel sounds are very precise. Also- don't take in a huge amount of air and blast it all out at once trying to get a super high note. Take in a huge amount of air,let a little out and THEN "gliss" into a strong A note on the 5th fret high E string of a guitar. Sing only as loud as you need to sing to get the note to come out. If you push too hard,you will lose control and possibly fry out your voice. You can actually hit lots of high notes without singing insanely loud. Ear piercing screams are cool though!

www.dimarzio.com
www.daddario.com

Thu May 08, 2008 5:34 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Thu May 08, 2008 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Here are a couple of tips that help me with the higher notes.

Dang, there's methodology behind it? I figured that one was either born with an inclination to sing, or wasn't. I would fall into the second category, although if I hear Stevie Wonder on the radio, you'd better watch your ears. :lol:

Thu May 08, 2008 10:25 am
God Of The Sun

Sing only as loud as you need to sing to get the note to come out. If you push too hard,you will lose control and possibly fry out your voice. You can actually hit lots of high notes without singing insanely loud. Ear piercing screams are cool though!

ok, when I don't sing loud I can sing as high as e.g. the Steelheart guy, but the Steelheart guy holds the microphone far away from his head while singing the high notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxnGaURm3B8

I think you can't just sing in speech level when playing live, or am I wrong?

Thu May 08, 2008 12:34 pm
Dr. X

Steelheart's singer is singing loudly to hit those notes- that is why he backs off the mic. He needs to push alot of air to get those notes to ring out. Singing loudly is not a bad thing. Singing louder than needed,however,is NOT good. If you are able to hit a note by pushing out X amount of air,then don't push out any harder. It is comparable to keeping your fingers close to the fingerboard when playing guitar. If you sing too loudly,you will risk burning out your voice quickly and drowning out the "pitch source" in your headphones or on stage (guitar/bass/keys). Check out online clips of singers in the studio. There is one of Dio tracking some stuff from an old album. He sings in a very "controlled" manner for the most part...he is not too loud. Also- the highest notes Mike sings ARE 100% falsetto...they are LOUD reinforced falsetto,but they are STILL falsetto. For some reason,people think falsetto (of any type) is "bad" which is nonsense.

www.dimarzio.com
www.daddario.com

Fri May 09, 2008 3:08 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I always tend to sing at yelling volume when I'm with a band, so you basically have to use push less air.

So to make high notes a bit louder I have to learn how to do reinforced falsetto.
Do you have any tips how to do this? Or is the only way having a vocal coach?

Fri May 09, 2008 11:30 am
God Of The Sun

Near the beginning of that first video I could've sworn the guy said "Now you can start with the ice cream... AHHHHH!!!!"

:mrgreen:

Sat May 10, 2008 9:05 am
Viking Kong

I can scream really well. Halford, Jeff style. I'm really good at screaming, in fact I think it's the thing I imitate the best with my voice.

However when it comes to singing... I can sing in my own voice, I can sing to someone standing in front of me, but when it comes to singing very loud, so that a whole audience can hear me, I simply cannot. There is something strange that happens to my voice when I go from medium to high volume. I lose range and I end up being unable to sing.

very strange. :(

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sat May 10, 2008 9:34 am
Dr. X

I have burned my voice out many times by trying to sing loud enough to hear myself over loud instruments. A good monitor mix is essential. Check out this clip of Ralf Scheepers singing...the guy has insane control of his voice. Great breathy falsetto during some lines in the beginning and the main head-voice lines in the first verse after the band enters are pretty insane. There is a good book called "Pro Secrets of Heavy Rock Singing"...it has some interesting insight in regard to rock and metal vocal techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5JdpH5qOBM

After warming up for an hour,I can ALMOST get through the intro and the first verse...it is extremely difficult to sing with that kind of range and power. A professional choir singer told me to practice standard five-note major scale excerpts (Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So and back). That helps me out alot. Boring as hell...just like practicing all those boring alternate picking exercises. it all pays off though.

www.dimarzio.com
www.daddario.com

Sat May 10, 2008 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

However when it comes to singing... I can sing in my own voice, I can sing to someone standing in front of me, but when it comes to singing very loud, so that a whole audience can hear me, I simply cannot. There is something strange that happens to my voice when I go from medium to high volume. I lose range and I end up being unable to sing.

very strange. :(

+1, I can sing pretty decent when playing acousticly, very clean with clean falsetto and everything, but I could never sing like that when rehearsing with bands and playing live.

He sounds EXACTLY like Borat btw.

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sat May 10, 2008 10:50 pm
Dr. X

^^ I see, great tips, thanks.
I always tend to sing at yelling volume when I'm with a band, so you basically have to use push less air.

So to make high notes a bit louder I have to learn how to do reinforced falsetto.
Do you have any tips how to do this? Or is the only way having a vocal coach?

To sing high notes in falsetto or head-voice,you need to tighten up your throat and push out alot of air. Have you ever taken a balloon and slowly let the air leak out of the "pinched blow-up valve" to make a high pitched sound? Singing high notes with the human voice is the same principle. The air that is being pushed out of your lungs needs to be pushed out firmly through a confined passageway. If you are doing it right,it will feel as if the tone is coming from the top (or back) of your mouth and/or the "mask" of your face. Good examples of a reinforced falsetto technique include the ending of Pantera's "Cemetery Gates," the intro scream on Queensryche's "Queen of the Reich" and 80% or more of Judas Priest's "Painkiller."

www.dimarzio.com
www.daddario.com

Sat May 10, 2008 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
But Rob and Jeff dont use their falsetto ? or do they?

Sun May 11, 2008 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Rob Halford uses a nice "breathy" falsetto as on the tune "Epitaph" from the Sad Wings of Destiny album. The high screeching stuff like "Painkiller" is all reinforced falsetto. Jeff does a killer reinforced falsetto scream at the end of one tune on the Extreme Volume II album somewhere...can't remember which song though.

www.dimarzio.com
www.daddario.com

Mon May 12, 2008 5:38 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Jeff does a killer reinforced falsetto scream at the end of one tune on the Extreme Volume II album somewhere...can't remember which song though.

On the loose!

Mon May 12, 2008 6:06 am
God Of The Sun

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]