View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PGM worth it? 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post PGM worth it?
isnt it just a normal rg with a hardtail, painted f holes, and changed pickups?

cause there is an RG that youc an get like that right now.

whats so special about the pgm?

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:15 am
Motorman

Post Re: PGM worth it?
rich2k4 wrote:

well, its made to paul's specs. neck circumfrence, place ment of the knob etc. its designed for people who want to play what paul plays, and thats the PGM.

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:23 am
Viking Kong

1. The PGM only has a single volume knob, and it is placed in a very good spot. It is amazing the amount of tones you can get out of a PGM with a 5 way switch and the volume knob. It really does not need a tone knob. Also the output jack is slightly different.

2. There are no RG's in the current lineup with a maple fretboard. So you cannot get another RG just like it from the currently offered models.

3. They have that f-hole mojo you just don't get with a normal RG.

4. In past years the PGM's had a different neck than RG's. It used to be 2mm thicker than a Wizard II.

5. In the past they came in cool colors. Try finding RG's that look like these

or this

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:31 am
Motorman

It is not just like any other RG.

1. The PGM only has a single volume knob, and it is placed in a very good spot. It is amazing the amount of tones you can get out of a PGM with a 5 way switch and the volume knob. It really does not need a tone knob. Also the output jack is slightly different.

2. There are no RG's in the current lineup with a maple fretboard. So you cannot get another RG just like it from the currently offered models.

4. In past years the PGM's had a different neck than RG's. It used to be 2mm thicker than a Wizard II.

or this

im jealous. :roll:

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:43 am
Viking Kong

The only hardtail RG that Ibanez has in their lineup right now is the RG321. The RG body shape, strung thorugh the body, has 24 frets, and says "Ibanez" on the headstock is really about all it has in common with the PGM301. It's not even fair to put the RG321 up against the PGM301. It's like comparing potted meat to prime rib. --Jason

Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:10 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post Re: PGM worth it?
rich2k4 wrote:

That's just like saying what's special about the ATmodel or the K7 or whatever. The PGM's specs are from PG himself, and you can't get an RG just like it. Not unless it's a super modded RG.

Same with the JEM. The vine inlay is a dead give-away, but without it, what else is changed? The monkey grip? Some people don't even like that thing. It's just an RG770 or RG550 that has a vine inlay. BUT specified to Steve Vai.

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:34 am
Motorman

It is not just like any other RG.

or this

Total pwnage.

Great guitars.

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:31 pm
God Of The Sun

Don't give me a reason to show them again ;-)

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:49 pm
Viking Kong

I'll just go ahead and post the picture. This way no one can say that you posted it just to brag. :P

Oh, and to anyone that thinks collecting PGM's isn't addictive. I give you exhibit "A" your honor! :lol: --Jason

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:13 am
Motorman

I'll just go ahead and post the picture. This way no one can say that you posted it just to brag. :P

Oh, and to anyone that thinks collecting PGM's isn't addictive. I give you exhibit "A" your honor! :lol: --Jason

oh you sure are bragging if you ask me!
nice collection!

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:17 am
Viking Kong

i like the black one with the white f holes. give me a guitar.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:56 am
Godzilla

somebodies rich...

Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
Viking Kong

Just because someone has a lot of guitars doesn't mean they've got money. Being rich or poor doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. It's all about priorities. I cut corners every way I can to save. I'll maybe only eat out once a month, (if you consider McDonalds or Taco Bell eating out) and save my pocket change up all year. I allow myself $30 spending money a week. (for food, gas, whatever) What I don't spend by Sunday, I put in the guitar fund. The money I save averages out to about $1400 a year that I put back strictly for guitars. It's all about being creative with your money. :wink: --Jason

Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:12 pm
God Of The Sun

Exactly, but last year I went over budget :?

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:11 pm
Viking Kong

Exactly, but last year I went over budget :?

Yea, but the #2, or #3, hardest of the series just don't pop up for sale every other week like PGM30s do! Really, you just didn't have any choice but to buy it. It was the only responsible thing to do. :lol: --Jason

Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:06 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Bah, I hate threads that start out like this one. You know, there are different models of cars - you just need to get from point A to B, who cares about 'luxury'. Some people like skinny women some like "curvy" ones. Hell, you can even say that beer just gets you drunk, why have more than one kind. No one questions these things. But, no, it's the nice always the guitars that people harp on:

"Isn't Guitar X just the same as Guitar Y with Z modifications?"

:x Isn't the Jem just an RG with a monkey grip and nice inlays?

:x Isn't the JS just a Radius without a middle single coil?

:x Isn't the Eric Clapton Strat the same as the Indonesian Squier thing?

:shock: Isn't the Noodles model just a toilet seat on a neck?

NO! They aren't!

Not to mention, if you took the mods to do an RG into a PGM - reverse headstock, maple fretboard, pickups, custom paint, custom neck thickness, hardtail, custom electronics setup - you'd be looking at about $500 to $700 in mods anyway. So even scientifically, yeah, it's f**king worth it! Just look at the picture above, if you don't get wood, then this isn't your forum... :D

Sorry, it's been a long week and I needed some ventage... :oops:

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:30 pm
God Of The Sun

Actually, I thought the same in the beginning. A JEM and PGM are the same as an RG with minor differences to make them signature guitars. Then, after playing a JEM, I noticed the difference in the neck mainly. I started with the 7VWH. I loved that guitar. Then, I saw a PGM500 for sale fairly cheap, so I grabbed it. I instantly fell in love with it. The volume control is out of the way (I always hit the JEM volume), the switch is at a good angle and position and I have never used a tone control. The reverse headstock was strange at first, but it is so much better for me while tuning. I thought I would never go back to a fixed bridge after playing with the Edge trems....I was wrong. After getting that 500, I was sold. I had to try get every model. They all have different woods and pups and all sound different, but have the basic same layout (V/T & switch). I have probably spent more than I should, but I feel it is all worth it.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:46 pm
Motorman

Oh yeah, I've had my PGM500 for about 8 months now and all I want to do is get more of them (a 301 next). I've had two JEMs and sold those (I hit the volume too Eddie) to get other things prior to my PGM. I've modded my RG to emulate as closely as possible a PGM but it's not the same. I need more PGMs, period!

E

My Band on My Space

Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:55 am
God Of The Sun

I have had two 550s with maple boards in the past at the same time as having the 301. The grade of wood used on the 301 neck is 100 times better than the standard Maple Ibanez use.

Everything is better quality on the 301

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:05 am
Dr. X

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next