View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 PG's main 300 string tree 
Superhero

Post PG's main 300 string tree
I think i noticed that he took the string tree off. I'm i seeing things or not.
At first i noticed the extra holes next to the truss cover but then noticed the tree is gone.

Can anyone verify this or does anyone know why this may have been done?
I'm wondering if there is a benefit or something. Not that at my level it would make a difference.

TIA

Last edited by frehley6986 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:36 pm
Viking Kong

I haven't seen him playing a 301. His main black and white PGM has been a 300 that has been converted into a hardtail. It still has its locking nut with the upper locking parts removed.

I'd have to look at some pics to see if there was a string tree or not. I never looked too closely.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:05 pm
Viking Kong

The string tree definitely isn't on the main 300. I'd say it got tossed in the trash about the same time as the lock nut pads and screws. It might have still been on there just after he converted it though. I think that guitar was already converted on the Mr. Big Live in San Francisco tape, so I'll go look to be sure. --Jason

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:21 pm
Superhero

My mistake on the model number. You are correct on it being the 300 and that's what i was thinking although i typed it wrong.

Doesn't the string tree serve a purpose?
I'm guessing it doesn't make that big of a difference if he took it off.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:57 pm
Viking Kong

Doesn't the string tree serve a purpose?
I'm guessing it doesn't make that big of a difference if he took it off.

The string tree probably does serve a purpose with the locking nut. If it didn't I don't know wy they would ever use one.

I don't think I have seen a hardtail Ibanez with a string tree. If it was important Paul probably would have left it on.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:09 pm
Superhero

I wonder if it's really needed with a pitched headstock whether it's a Floyd or Fixed bridge. With non-tilt headstock I can see it needed to put the pressure on the nut and more importantly to line it up with the tuners.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:48 pm
Viking Kong

I wonder if it's really needed with a pitched headstock whether it's a Floyd or Fixed bridge. With non-tilt headstock I can see it needed to put the pressure on the nut and more importantly to line it up with the tuners.

I think it has to do with the floyd. My 500 with a 1 peice neck does not have a string tree. It is not an angled headstock either. My 200 has an angled headstock and doesn't have a string tree.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:55 pm
Viking Kong

I looked on the video, and the guitar didn't have the string retainer on it then either.

The string retainer on locking tremolo guitars keeps the strings in the same position whether the nut is locked or unlocked. If it's too high, the strings will go sharp when you tighten the pad down. --Jason

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]