View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Basswood? 
is the Siren's Eye

Post Basswood?
I've been looking into getting a pgm or some other Ibanez. I called a local used guitar store to ask about pgms and he said that they were a dime a dozen and that the basswood was not a very good guitar wood. I've heard from a few people I trust that basswood isn't as favorable as some other woods, but this guy was totally putting down basswood guitar bodies. I can believe that, but i like the tones Gilbert and other Ibanez players have. Any one have any thoughts on this.(I know it has a lot to do with amps and p.u. etc.)

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:57 pm
God Of The Sun

It's all personal preference. There is nothing wrong with basswood. It's a mid tone wood. Mahogany would be warmer. Alder and Swamp Ash would be thinner and brighter.

Sh!t, Paul had a guitar made from a shipping crate (which evolved into the PGM800).

Oh, and let me know where these PGMs are a dime a dozen, so I can get a few ;-)

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:13 pm
Viking Kong

Basswood is fine as a tone wood. Just because it is used on some cheaper guitars does not mean it is bad.

Each type of wood has a different sound. Maybe this guy just happens to hate the tone of basswood, or wants to sell you something more expensive.

Ibanez commonly uses basswood. If you don't like the tone of Ibanez guitars then don't buy one. Fender commonly uses Alder and Ash. Gibson commonly uses Mahogany. They all sound different. One isn't necissarily better than the other just based on the type of wood used.

If have questions on PGM's feel free to ask them in this forum. There are people here that know alot about them. Some of us here collect them and have a few.

I definately don't think PGM's are a dime a dozen. I never see them in shops.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:36 pm
Godzilla

Hey, I wouldn't listen to those f*cking morons at the guitar shop. A dime a dozen? Is that why they sell for like $1000 a piece?

The PGM301 is a BRILLIANT guitar. I can personally vouch for it. And tbh? I can't really tell the difference between basswood, alder or ash, etc!

So I wouldn't bother about woods unless your playing is coming under intense scrutiny from guitar g33ks.

Buy it! :P

And if he's putting down basswood/Ibanez guitars as badly as you make out, he's probably some old twat who only likes Blues and Jazz and Mahogany/Semi-acoustic guitars. Tell him he's a moron. 8)

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:24 am
Superhero

If only it WAS a dime for a dozen PGMs. . . .*sigh*

Charvel Model 1A
Greco/DiMarzio Parts Guitar

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:03 am
Dr. X

Ive always found that fretboard material has a much bigger impact on tone.
I have a Basswood JEM and it has a great tone, just be careful what pickups you use - my dp100 doesnt get on with basswood bodies at all.

As for people in guitar shops, most of them are full of shit. Youve got to remember that the majority of them are failed musicians, that says something in itself. Vai and Gilbert wouldnt be playing these guitars if they were shit.

Basswood is one of the lightest tonewoods you can find, and that may not seem like a big bonus, but you compare playing a basswood guitar for an hour and a half to playing a Les Paul, and your back will be screaming the difference at you!

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:57 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Like any wood, there's high quality and low quality. Cheap guitars will use cheaper basswood and vice versa.

There's sh*tty ash, sh*tty maple, shi*tty mahogany, etc.

I wouldn't knock a guitar because it has basswood, but I would also say that sometimes each guitar does sound different because no 2 pieces of wood sounds the same. Once I was at a music shop when the guys received a shipment of 4 Jem7v's. All basswood and should be identical but 1 weighed almost a pound more than the others.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:21 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Is it pronounced basswood like the fish or basswood like the instrument?

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:37 pm
God Of The Sun

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]