View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What's the fascination with PGM's? 
Dr. X

Post What's the fascination with PGM's?
I've never understood the draw of signature guitars [including PGM's] and can't really think of a better place to post the question.

Why do people lust after somebody else's guitars? :?: :?:

Your thoughts please people 8)

Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:50 am
God Of The Sun

I dont think people do. I think people like the Fixed Bridge and F-Holes on a RG. Obviously its nice to use the same Guitar as PG because you know what he can do with it and know what can actually be done with the Guitar in your hands but when it comes to buying one, you have to like the Guitar

Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:44 am
Superhero

I totally agree.. You know that if such great players choose "Insert Brand Name", because they mean its the best guitars around...
And those who want to play the songs of their favourite artist, they probably will use the same gear...

Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:51 am
God Of The Sun

I totally agree.. You know that if such great players choose "Insert Brand Name", because they mean its the best guitars around...
And those who want to play the songs of their favourite artist, they probably will use the same gear...

Actually guitar players won't always use the best guitar if they're offered a lot of money to play a particular brand of guitar....

Personally I if a guitar was special I'd want to play that guitar regardless of whether it's a signature or not, I play guitars by what guitar it is not the brand name. But obviously I'd want my own signature model to play if I was going to play a signature model :twisted:

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:50 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

For me it was the fact that the PGM 301 had almost exactly the feature set I was shopping for. If they made a model with a different fret board and/or body material I would buy that one too. I like:
* goto hard tail
* reverse head stock
* two humbuckers
* maple board
* S-style body
* no tone control!
* PGM neck dimensions

Sometimes I wonder though that if someone like PG, who obviously has many guitars, has one that is the absolute favorite? Or are they all just tools of the trade?

I don't have many guitars myself but I've owned many different guitars over time and I find that each one can be my favorite for some amount of time but no one really ever stood out. Some of them just totally sucked too.

I have regrets about selling the Y2KV and the Les Paul, but my money does not grow on trees so...

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:24 pm
God Of The Sun

PGM´s are very special to me, I love how they look, feel and sound.
I guess you either feel the force of the PGM´s or you don´t. :wink:

There are lots of other signature guitars out there that I don´t like though.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:47 pm
Motorman

Agreed Anders - there's something about the PGM that just clicks with me - the simplicity.

Don't get me wrong I like the look of the JEM but the thought of changing the strings with a whammy is enough to put me off just now. With a PG model you can change strings and tune up again in minutes.

PGMs aren't that common and have an acquired taste which is also cool. And if the one of the worlds greatest rock guitar players plays the same instrument that I own then it can't be bad.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:13 pm
Viking Kong

I have owned a few signature models. A Les Paul, a custom shop ESP Stephen Carpenter, and a few PGM's. In all cases I bought them because I liked the features on the guitar. I'm not a big deftones fan but liked the SRC sig model.

I think PGM's look really cool with the f holes. But more importantly they play really good, and sound awsome. I also love the simplicity of hte control layout. If I need a tone knob I will pick up one of my Gibsons not my PGM's.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:06 pm
Viking Kong

It's the features that sold me on them. I'll admit, before I ever played one, I didn't care for them. The F-holes didn't do much for me. It wasn't untill I actually had one in my hands and played it that I changed my mind. They have every feature I want in a guitar. --Jason

Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:38 am
Godzilla

it´s mostly that signature are usually just really good guitars... I love my JEM and I played a PGM 301, and it was really great too.

Also, some signature models just look really cool, like Alexi Laiho´s or Kirk Hammett´s skull inlays.... and those aren´t bad guitars either ;) (although I haven´t played the Laiho model)

Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

My PGM100 is a fukkin ace guitar thats totally reliable & thats my fascination with 'em!!(plus P.G is my god!!) :lol:

Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:13 pm
God Of The Sun

yeah i got the pgm301 because of features
mainly because of maple fretboard on rg body sounds pretty cool to me
and dimarzio paf pros seem to rock too
:lol:

the looks are a bonus too
the ladies seem to like it :lol:

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:33 am
Profile ICQ
is evil...Evil Joe

What draws someone to anything? I love the PGM line for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else, and I'm a HUGE fan of Paul's, but so what. To me that's like asking why buy a CD made by someone else when you can record your own.

Also, you do realize that one of the most popular guitars in the world is a signature model, right - the Gibson Les Paul.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:30 am
Dr. X

What draws someone to anything? I love the PGM line for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else, and I'm a HUGE fan of Paul's, but so what. To me that's like asking why buy a CD made by someone else when you can record your own.

Also, you do realize that one of the most popular guitars in the world is a signature model, right - the Gibson Les Paul.

It's nothing like asking why buy a CD when you could record your own! What I want to know is why people are attracted to using something that is so indicative of somebody else rather than come up with something of their own, it's not a criticism it's just curiosity.

I really like the features of the PGM but wouldn't want to be pigeonholed as "Oh, look it's a shredder who thinks he's Paul Gilbert" because whether you admit it or not when you first see someone with a signature guitar that is very distinctive your first thoughts are will they sound like the guy who's guitar they've got.

And yes I did realise that the Les Paul is a signature model but that little old man is not the first person I think of when I see one!

Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:30 am
Godzilla

and people won´t think you´re a PG wannabe if you have a PGM...
they´ll just think you have a cool guitar ;)

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I really like the features of the PGM but wouldn't want to be pigeonholed as "Oh, look it's a shredder who thinks he's Paul Gilbert" because whether you admit it or not when you first see someone with a signature guitar that is very distinctive your first thoughts are will they sound like the guy who's guitar they've got.

You're right, there is some expectation for someone playing a signature guitar to somewhat emulate the playing of the guy whose model it is. And I think for the most part, that is the case. I'd say most people that own PGM's can play, or at least TRY to play, some Gilbert-ish licks. Same as guys that own Jems try do some Vai-ish licks. It's probably not so much because you're trying to sound just like that specific guy whose signature guitar you're playing, but because you're playing the same style of music as that guitarist. Shredders play shredder guitars.

I think anyone that plays an Ibanez Rg bodied guitar is pretty much labled a shredder anyway. Same with Telecaster guys labeled as a country players, or hollowbody Gretsch guys labeled as rockabilly players. Certain guitars have just always been standard equpiment for specific styles of music. The moment you put a guitar in your hands there is an expectation from people watching as to what you're going to sound like. If your playing style doesn't match up with the instrument you're using, it raises eyebrows. Could you imagine B.B. King playing a 7VWH Jem? (Now that's a visual!)

Here's some types that buy signature guitars. The guys that love the features and sound of the guitar and couldn't care less about the looks of it or the fact that it's a signature model. There are the people that buy signature models because they think the guitar will magicly help them play like the artist. There are the people that buy the signature models simply because they are usually the most expensive, and since they're expensive, that's got to make them a better guitarist. And then there are those want people to know they are a fan of the guitarist, want the exact same guitar as that artist, play the same style of music, and want to copy the sound as close as they can. How's that really any different than the way things have always been when a person went shopping for a guitar? --Jason

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:48 pm
Viking Kong

When I am looking at guitars, I do often look at artist signature models. They almost always have some features that set them apart from the standard production models. If those features appeal to me I would always consider getting the signature model over a standard production guitar. It doesn't matter if I am a fan of the artist or not.

Some times it isn't that easy to tell the difference between an artist model or a regular one. Without looking closely it would be hard for someone to tell if you are playing an american strat or a mexican one or a japanese one. I could be playing a Robert Cray strat or an Eric Johnson strat and most people wouldn't know it is a signature model.

In the case of PGM's they are easy to recognize. Most people I know don't know who paul gilbert is. If they see my PGM's they just think they look cool.

I don't really care if someone sees me with one and expects me to play like Paul. I do enjoy trying to learn some PG licks, but I don't play too much paul gilbert style music. I play my PGM's because I like the way they play and sound. I like the simple control layout much better than the controls on the standard RG models. The volume knob is perfectly placed. The normal RG models don't really appeal to me but the PGM's do because of the control layout.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:53 pm
Superhero

Most people I know don't know who paul gilbert is.

Unfortunately true.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:08 am
BOFH

I play an EVH Wolfgang Special. Not because it's an EVH signature model, just because it's the nicest guitar I've ever played. It suits me perfectly...

I like the way the trem doesn't "pull up", so it's effectivly just like a strat trem that doesn't go out of tune. I love the sound of the pickups, the position of the pickup switch, the shape of the body and headstock, and the assymetric neck. They're all to EVH's specs, obviously... But it suits me just fine.

I would have stuck with my copy if it had the pickups and neck and trem of this guitar. I couldn't give a shit who's signature guitar it is.

One thing to bear in mind is that quite often a great guitarist will (help) design a great guitar.

Just my two pence.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

I agree that people who play a certain type of music should use a matching guitar but I've always thought shredding on a hollowbody was kinda funny! LOL

I think the main problem with signature series guitars [which, oddly enough is the main selling point] are the ones that are so distinctive you can't help but think of that particular player. For example imagine walking into a gig and seeing the guitarist with a Dimebag [RIP] signature ML, you are going to expect some Pantera style riffs or at the very least a copy tune or two.

As a player it must be great to be strongly associated with one instrument.

Zakk Wylde is only using a Les Paul but the bullseye graphic will be forever associated with him the same a s PG and his "F holes" and Steve Vai and his Monkey grip etc etc

Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next