View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 converting a tremolo to a hardtail%%% 
Promises to use Search button

Post converting a tremolo to a hardtail%%%
mmkay, i been reading this forum for a while now and it sounds like a lot of you have converted your beloved pgm 300 to a hardtail. im doing the same thing to a ibanez 7 string = ). i have a couple of questions hoping someone can answer.
is a hard tail really worth it? doese it sound better? do your strings break less?
(for thoese of you that sended your guitar in) where can i send my guitar in to get it done? how much money will it cost?
(for thoese of you that did it ur self <3 ) how do i start? i already found the perfect hardtail on a website for my 7. how do i fill in the wood and where do i place the hard tail?

any info is apreciated. <3 thx

Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:46 pm
Search Button God!

Remember: don't do it unless you know what you're doing. Check out projectguitar.com tutorials:

http://projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm
http://projectguitar.com/tut/tht2.htm

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:30 pm
Superhero

it has more sustain, much easier to change strings and tune your guitar, stays in tune better, less likely to break a string, etc.......
i have my PGM301 for 1 year+ now and i NEVER broke a string.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:08 pm
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

I might have a go at that on my old AXL since it's pretty much unused now anyway.... Just to have a go at it for future reference.... I'd rather screw up my old guitar than an expensive shiny new one 8)

As for the hardtail... if you don't use your whammy you might as well just for the tone and sustain.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:37 pm
Viking Kong

I have an RG body lying around I am planning to refinish. I am going to try it on that when I get some time. If I screw it up its all good. I've never painted a guitar and can still use that body to practice on. If it works out I have another body I want to refinish. If it doesn't turn out good i'll probably send the other body out to get painted by a pro.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:00 pm
Motorman

I did it with a Jackson DXMG and it turned out great! The paint job I applied sux but....... it sounds G O O D .

E

My Band on My Space

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:17 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I checked out the site.. I guess it's a hard decision to make if you already like the finish of your guitar.

I looked at Paul Gilbert's guitars and the nasty lines on page 2 of the site explains what happened to his guitars (his main guitar, the modified PGM300, the green and pink PGM, the RG with dinosaur stickers, and etc) I think Paul just put in a block of wood directly, just assuming that the colors are the same. I think the reason why he doesn't want to refinish it is coz the f-holes would be removed, and it would just be another RG guitar with the volume control moved.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:05 am
Superhero

Where did you see the info on Paul's guitars?
I'm having a brain fade

Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:42 am
God Of The Sun

I have never understood why the strings break less on a Hardtail. Really the Floyds should be better for that. When the String is about to break, the Bridge can move to compensate whereas with the fixed Bridge, there is nowhere left to go.

Yet i have been using the 301 for a couple of years now and had less String breaks that with any Floater. Strange

Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:23 am
Superhero

I have never understood why the strings break less on a Hardtail. Really the Floyds should be better for that. When the String is about to break, the Bridge can move to compensate whereas with the fixed Bridge, there is nowhere left to go.

Yet i have been using the 301 for a couple of years now and had less String breaks that with any Floater. Strange

Using a trem exerts forces on the string that you don't get with a hardtail.

Eg that thing that Satch does, where you hit the bar hard so it goes down and comes straight back up (no flutter) - it's near the end of surfing with the alien...

That makes the string go slack, then immediately puts all the tension back on the string, which will cause some kind of fatigue to the metal, causing it to snap more easily.

That's my theory anyway

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:27 pm
God Of The Sun

dimentor wrote:

Using a trem exerts forces on the string that you don't get with a hardtail.

Eg that thing that Satch does, where you hit the bar hard so it goes down and comes straight back up (no flutter) - it's near the end of surfing with the alien...

That makes the string go slack, then immediately puts all the tension back on the string, which will cause some kind of fatigue to the metal, causing it to snap more easily.

That's my theory anyway

Although if you never use the whammy then maybe it would last longer... But if you do then your theory makes sense :wink:

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:29 pm
Superhero

I only use D'Addario XL's and i don't think i've ever broke a string. I'm not overly aggressive on the bar but i do like to raise the pitch on it a lot.

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]