View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PGM 500 and 800 for sale 
Viking Kong

gpenguins wrote:
Dump it, Jason. You know you want that 500 :D

I'd love to get my hands on a 500. But I'm in the market for the right R7 or R9 Les Paul too. I think what I probably need more than anything right now is a Financial upgrade! :lol: --Jason

R7's and R9's are sweet. I've been thinking about saving for a historic myself. Its hard to choose between an R4, R6, R7 or R8. I'm really wanting a darkback goldtop right now.

The R9 isn't worth the extra money to me right now. I don't need the flamed top that bad. If I want a burst the R8 is good enough for me and if you look hard enough you can find them new for just under $2000. Of course its hard to go wrong with a nice gold top.

If you didn't know Gibson is raising their prices 6% on OCT 16th.

I'd check with Saul at Centre City Music http://www.ccitymusic.com. They have lots of Gibsons, have great service, and have good prices too.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:58 pm
Viking Kong

I'm in the market for one as kind of an investment piece. Not that I wouldn't play it, but it would mainly be an in the closet guitar. Personally, I don't care for the looks of the R9. But, I think that guitar has the look of what most people think of as the ultimate Les Paul. I'd much rather find an R7 or R8. I've always loved the looks of Goldtops. But I think when you're looking for one to put up, you have to get past "what I like" and move into what is going to bring the best return down the road.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like my Ibanez anymore. I'd love to get a 500, 200, and a couple more USA Custom hardtails just for myself because I like them. I coudn't care less if they ended up being $300 guitars. I love the way they feel and sound. I just question their long term value. For investment, I'll take a Les Paul, or any Gibson, any day of the week. There will ALWAYS be high demand for them.

Wow, did this thread get highjacked in a hurry or what? :lol: --Jason

Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:23 am
Superhero

JasonK wrote:
gpenguins wrote:
Dump it, Jason. You know you want that 500 :D

I'd love to get my hands on a 500. But I'm in the market for the right R7 or R9 Les Paul too. I think what I probably need more than anything right now is a Financial upgrade! :lol: --Jason

R7's and R9's are sweet. I've been thinking about saving for a historic myself. Its hard to choose between an R4, R6, R7 or R8. I'm really wanting a darkback goldtop right now.

The R9 isn't worth the extra money to me right now. I don't need the flamed top that bad. If I want a burst the R8 is good enough for me and if you look hard enough you can find them new for just under $2000. Of course its hard to go wrong with a nice gold top.

If you didn't know Gibson is raising their prices 6% on OCT 16th.

I'd check with Saul at Centre City Music http://www.ccitymusic.com. They have lots of Gibsons, have great service, and have good prices too.

Sorry for being so ignorant but what means R4, R6, R7, R8, R9 Les Paul?? :oops:

Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:42 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I didn't think you would be giving up on your ibanez's.

Personally i'd take a good les paul over most Ibanez's. I love my 200 and 500, but my gibsons get tones my PGM's can't. And the bigger gibson necks are more comfortable for me when playing for a long time. That won't stop me from buying more PGM's though. :D

Gibsons generally hold their value pretty well, but if you are looking for a big return the R7's and R8's may not be the best options. R7's new can be found for under $2000 new. I don't see them raising in value much anytime soon unless they have a brazillian rosewood board, or are aged by Tom Murphy. I don't know what year the bazillians started but they stopped some time in 2003.

With the price drop on R8's last year they are one of the best values going in LP's today. The ones that will gain in value are the figured ones(I think 2003 or earlier).

If you really want a good return vintage is the way to go. Conversions are bring in 15-20K or more depending on who did the conversion. I think 52's and 53's are going 15-20K maybe more. 59's are over 100K now. These prices have been going up real quick with no end in sight.

Parts would be another good investment. There is a set of double white 59 PAF's on ebay with untouched solder joints going for around $10k with 12 hours to go. I've seen beat up pairs go for a few grand.

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:10 am
Viking Kong

Those are terms Les Paul fans would use. There probably aren't that many on this board. This board has more of an Ibanez/shredder crowd. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

The R stands for re-issue. R4, R6, R7, R8, and R9 refer to different historic reissues from the Gibson Custom shop. The number corresponds to a year.

R4=1954 goldtop reissue
R6=1956 goldtop reissue
R7=1957 goltop reissue
R8=1958 standard reissue
R9=1959 standard reissue

Those were years different features were introduced, or some of the most famous les pauls were made.

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:20 am
Superhero

ErikMoreno wrote:

Those are terms Les Paul fans would use. There probably aren't that many on this board. This board has more of an Ibanez/shredder crowd. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

The R stands for re-issue. R4, R6, R7, R8, and R9 refer to different historic reissues from the Gibson Custom shop. The number corresponds to a year.

R4=1954 goldtop reissue
R6=1956 goldtop reissue
R7=1957 goltop reissue
R8=1958 standard reissue
R9=1959 standard reissue

Those were years different features were introduced, or some of the most famous les pauls were made.

wow thnx dude!

Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:51 am
Profile YIM
Dr. X

The 800 is gone. I still have the 500 if anyone is interested.

Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:27 am
Viking Kong

I'm going to start a separate Gibson thread. I don't want to highjack Craigs any more than we already have. :wink: --Jason

Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:34 pm
Dr. X

Thanks,

Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2