View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Should I get a PGM301? 
Superhero

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:51 pm
Motorman

They are lucky in japan, they get many fixed bridged RG's. They even had a fixed bridge version of the RG2570 -

RG2571

RG2771

RG1521

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:05 pm
Viking Kong

If you want a fixed bridge that bad you could order one of those from Japan.

The PGM is nice, but if it s not your thing then maybe one of those you posted pics of would be a better choice.

I would get the PGM, but I already have a few others and love the control layout and the f-holes.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:23 pm
God Of The Sun

plus
a pgm isn;t THAT much more expensive
its well worth the extra peny :lol:

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:12 pm
Profile ICQ
Motorman

I would love any of those, but they are no longer available in Japan either.

Well, you could probably find them in some shops, but the only importer doesn't have them.

Here is an auction for an RG321 -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-RG-321-Mahagoni-Royal-Blue-NEU_W0QQitemZ7351180650QQcategoryZ46649QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's obviously not a prestige, but I can live with that. I dont really like the binding on the neck and also I dislike the pup rings. Other than that, it's just what I could use, and it's a fraction of the price of a PGM301.

The PGM301 is probably leagues ahead as far as the build/parts is concerned. Or maybe not?

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:45 pm
God Of The Sun

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:02 pm
Motorman

I need details Sir.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:06 pm
Godzilla

Post Re: Should I get a PGM301?
dragonforcedotcom wrote:
Well, the obvious answer would be yes, however, I'm still very undecided.

Well, I'll tell you this for free: The PGM301 I bought a couple of months back is simply the greatest guitar I have EVER played, with my Jem coming a close second.

The neck is almost perfectly shaped for my chunky Yngwie-esque fingers, and abnormally large hands. :?

Btw, this may sound like a really stupid question, but are you Herman Li? :lol:

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:07 pm
Motorman

Heh, no I'm not. It was an attempt to promote. :)

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:27 pm
God Of The Sun

Based on?

I need details Sir.

Well, it only cost about $230. Add about $200 more for pickups, better tuners, and upgraded electronics and you will have a smoking guitar.

You can get the RG321 in solid mahogany as well as basswood.
With the hardtail bridge and strings through the body, it makes for great sustain. The wizard 2 neck is a little fatter the the standard wizard.

I was very pleased with my RG321....best bang for the buck IMO.

Also you can check out www.ibanez.com for more details.

Ron

"playing the crazy double neck,screaming my lungs out,playing crazy licks.....enjoy!"

My future ex-wife is Milla Natasha Jovovich..... and monkeys will fly out of my butt.

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:53 am
Viking Kong

I think the RG321 is an OK guitar for the money. Especially for a first guitar. I wouldn't want one to be my main player, or really even backup. New pickups or not. I just wouldn't trust one to hold up to years of playing. The necks on the Korean guitars are probably what scares me about them more than anything. And really, why would you expect it to hold up? It's a $225 guitar.

Let's just say you buy a 321 for $225. Now you spend $200 to upgrade the pickups and hardware. Now you're at $425. Let's figure $50 for a hardshell case, and another $25 for miscellaneous things like shipping, and gas money spent on driving to get parts or money orders. That's $500 total in a Korean built guitar! That just seems nuts to me.

If you've got enough patience you can find deals out there. Just save your money and when the right guitar comes up for sale, buy it. --Jason

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:03 am
Motorman

I agree with you Jason, it seems ridiculous to have to replace electronics on a Korean.

Back onto the PGM301, I have heard that some of you had issues with the 05' PGM301?

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:58 am
Superhero

I agree with you Jason, it seems ridiculous to have to replace electronics on a Korean.

Back onto the PGM301, I have heard that some of you had issues with the 05' PGM301?

None for me--no truss rod issues or anything else. The PAF Pro Dimarzios are very bright sounding in it--the neck sounds good but I'm not sure yet if I want to replace the bridge with something else. As far as playablilty, it is great--fast and smooth--I like maple fretboards. Overall it has a very solid feel to it.

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:34 pm
Viking Kong

The only problem I had with the 05' PGM301 I tried was the neck. It just felt alien to me. It has the new Prestige profile and volute. Some people don't seem to mind, but I'm picky. The 03'-04' models have the old profile. Same as the original Wizard, only 1mm thicker (18mm) at the first fret. I just prefer the old profile, so I waited and bought a used 04'. And if I'm going to drop a grand on a guitar that I plan on playing a lot, I'll promise you that it's ging to feel good in my hands. --Jason

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:01 pm
Motorman

My RG is 19mm at the 1st fret, so it would probably be quite noticeable to have a pre 05' model. I guess it would be better for me personally to have an 05' then. Just a shame I'm such a poor student, so I will have to sell my RG to get the PGM.

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:27 pm
Godzilla

Heh, no I'm not. It was an attempt to promote. :)

Well, they get my vote. ;)

Fucking excellent power-metal. :)

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:24 pm
God Of The Sun

This thread seems a bit silly to me. Both Guitars are the same Shape from Players that both Play Rock. They both use the Same Brand Pickups and are both Built in the same Factory by the Same company.

If a Jem Player cant Play a PGM then there is some issues with the way they are Playing the Guitar. A Jem Player, really, should be able to pick up any RG and let Rip.

Sorry if it sounds like im knocking you. Im not trying to. It just seems like your beating around a Bush that is not there to beat around

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:18 am
Motorman

Firstly, it's not a Jem, it's an RG. Secondly, there are quite a few differences.

My RG is a H-H config, while the PGM is H-S-H. The RG has DiMarzio/IBZ pups while the PGM has Paf Pro's and a Jem single coil. Neck dimensions are slightly different (which some have noticed) and the PGM301 has the Gotoh GTC fixed bridge and the RG has an Edge Pro, which I consider to be a world of difference.

You mentioned that they are the same shape, well that isn't much of an argument. They both play "rock" but I clearly stated that I want a versatile guitar, and was asking if the PGM301 could cut it.

Maybe you should try reading the entire topic in future, then you might be able to make a valid contribution.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:42 am
God Of The Sun

I did make a Valid Contribution. What i am saying is Valid because any Guitarist that has Collected RG's,PGM's and JEM's will always tell you how they are all capable of Playing whatever you want. They all just have there own little Characters, through what Pickups they have, or like you have mentioned, the Neck dimensions or the Bridge.

There is no point telling me what Hardware is on what because i have owned loads of them and like i said, just Pick them up and Play them.

I mean, what answer do you want from people? Its a PGM, you know all the differant styles that Paul Plays on them. You know they are easy to Play, you know exactly what they are Built with. To me, it just seems like a silly question. I was not rude to you, so maybe you should read what im trying to say.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:29 pm
Motorman

I wouldn't describe "pickups" as a little character, they along with various other aspects of the guitar determine your tone. (Not to mention one's fingers and amplification).

If it was possible for me to play one, then I wouldn't have started this topic, however, there is no music shop near me which stock them.

Also, this may come as a surprise to you, but there are more "styles" than what PG plays. Why would you assume that I know that they are easy to play?

The body on my RG is mahogany with a maple top, and the PGM is basswood, I have never played a guitar with a basswood body.

Don't worry, they say ignorance is a bliss.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next